2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
Thanks for this, will have to do some practice with the 650s, and do a livery.

Don't think I've ever driven it.

NP, happy to help. Shift it at 55-60% for Max speed, the fuel will last no problem too. Also, I’ve got a few different colours of this livery if anyone needs one, think I have green, yellow, pink and orange maybe? :)

B9FABDAA-C342-47EF-A5C4-67D4087D514A.jpeg

https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gts...arLivery/livery/8069680/1/9160343643671757328

Last edited:
I'm using the Corvette for this. It was the fastest out of all the cars I tried in Free Practice (F-Type, Cayman, 650S, Corvette). The McLaren felt good to drive, but for some reason I was much quicker in the final sector with the Corvette. Even though it'll be worse on tire wear, I figure the early extra pace I have with it should nullify that.

Max, there is some regional bragging rights. I think an overall standings for most means nothing, unless you can be a top 16, top 25 player. But the more regional stuff is fun.
I think the local regional thing is something which applies more to North America where you only have 2 countries in the competition, in Europe the nationality is looked at more.

If you’re not keeping score, it’s just practice!

the competition is tight top to bottom. I like it!
I think the issue arises due to a flawed approach to points allocation from PD. They simply assign on the basis of average DR, BUT they match on SR first. Therefore there is the prospect that lower splits will have higher points allocations due to low SR/high DR drivers.

The answer is to rank on a combination of DR and SR and then award points solely according to split ranking. I.e. top split points spread is 500 - 400, second split 400-350 etc...
Quoting together because I like this idea, because some regions have more splits because more people are racing it might be better to divide it into about 10 tiers by the average DR of the people in there. Even if the points by tier overlapped slightly (let's say a win in tier 4 is equivalent to somewhere around 10th-15th in tier 3), it would reward those with lower DR who have had a great race without punishing people in stronger lobbies as much as the current system does.

I can't agree with this

Getting 100/200/250 points in a second split (or lower) FIA race is a big achievement for a lot of people. Likewise getting star rating with your real name displaying on a leaderboard is a tangible achievement that will encourage people to dig deeper as well.

I would say the above is an important stepping stone, both in terms of setting goals for yourself and then realising how fast you need to be to achieve them, for people starting out in GT online racing and progressing.

I get what you're saying, but if you don't dangle a carrot then I think a lot less people will bother attempting FIA events which is not really ideal.
I understand that, but I think that a system which gives everybody points as it does now should give a more representative leaderboard at the end of the season, getting rid of points from anywhere other than top split works if the sole point of FIA is to decide who wins the free holiday but I do like the idea above more. Having less points overlap between different levels would be a good way to keep those incentives without discouraging others who don't see the point in racing if they won't be at the point scoring end.

Shift it at 55-60% for Max speed
Got to say that I thought that has to be BS, so I went and did a couple of tests just went to SSRX and fiddled with power a bit and the difference was massive...OK slight exaggeration but set at race BOP times for 50/100/150 and 160 MPH are
3.200/9.300/25.600/32.766 for going flat out
3.366/9.366/24.033/31.466 chaning at as close to 60% as I am capable
Basically low gears seem about the same, the differences can be accounted for by frames on the playback, it seems to change when we get to 4th gear, but short shifting in the race won't lose any time and will save fuel.

So thanks Pigems as I would never have thought of this, bet this applies to many other cars.

Got to say that I thought that has to be BS, so I went and did a couple of tests just went to SSRX and fiddled with power a bit and the difference was massive...OK slight exaggeration but set at race BOP times for 50/100/150 and 160 MPH are
Basically low gears seem about the same, the differences can be accounted for by frames on the playback, it seems to change when we get to 4th gear, but short shifting in the race won't lose any time and will save fuel.

So thanks Pigems as I would never have thought of this, bet this applies to many other cars.

A few others, the Gr 3 Corvette and Supra also like to shifted early.

Happy to help man. :cheers: There a few other cars that like a short shift for speed, but not too many. Gr.3 Vette and Supra, Mazda 2(the little diesel one), the Gr.4 Veyron, and I’m sure there a couple others I’m forgetting. :)

Last edited:
Ugh. Time to grind sr before tomorrows race... Was doing daily race b on my alt and races were going good. Realized I was in the same lobby if I were on my main. So hop on my main to get some dr back. Can't get a lap time down so I start in the back half instead of the front half of the field. And then it becomes an sr fest. Brought myself down to 60 sr (for the slightest of touches...) and lost 3-4k dr. Racing turned to complete **** so hopefully tonight goes better! Small chance at getting in top16 for Nations so fingers crossed. But need 6 Canadians to miss the race for me to get in.

So I did a test with the 650 and it managed the 14 laps no probs, tyres were just starting to lose grip at the end and laps were getting slower. For comparison I took the GT-R out and ran that, it felt so much better and was much faster. Overall the GT-R was 15 secs faster with the pit....then it hit me, I didn't BOP the GT-R :banghead::banghead::banghead: So I tried a few laps and yes it was still a bit faster than the 650 but even just doing 3 laps I knew it was going to be tight and the extra weight was going to make laps 7 and 14 much slower. Don't know if the 650 is the best car for me, but recon it's going to be fairly close to it and I don't have time to test every option, so I'm going to practice with that and get the times down.

From a technical perspective, I think cars with big turbos and larger displacement will typically be amenable to short shifting rather than high-revving to the red lines, so the game gets that right. The McLaren has massive turbos and the Corvette loses a bit of torque at the higher revs, and running a less efficient engine harder toward that redline means it fall off an efficiency island on the map fast, so it makes sense that these two are more effective when short-shifted. The Veyron has massive turbos as well, so it makes sense to keep the revs in the torque band in the mid range as it will start to lose efficiency significantly at the high end of the revs. For those kinds of cars, the only reason for the high rev range is to allow the top speed performance at max power, but the torque curve for acceleration on road courses would favor short shifting when racing.

Last edited:
From a technical perspective, I think cars with big turbos and larger displacement will typically be amenable to short shifting rather than high-revving to the red lines, so the game gets that right. The McLaren has massive turbos and the Corvette loses a bit of torque at the higher revs, and running a less efficient engine harder toward that redline means it fall off an efficiency island on the map fast, so it makes sense that these two are more effective when short-shifted. The Veyron has massive turbos as well, so it makes sense to keep the revs in the torque band in the mid range as it will start to lose efficiency significantly at the high end of the revs. For those kinds of cars, the only reason for the high rev range is to allow the top speed performance at max power, but the torque curve for acceleration on road courses would favor short shifting when racing.
The Gr 2 Lexus doesn't hit a torque drop it still accelerate as good but short shifting it some gets you faster to top speed. On Autopolis it doesn't help because you never hit top speed even on the straight but on DTS it does

This is probably an unpopular opinion but only giving points for the top split would be a better system. The rest of us are essentially only playing for fun on combos different to the dailies or at most a little S besides our names, for 99.9% of us the points are an irrelevance.

Fair point. But it isn't much of a carrot, if you'll never achieve anything.

I wonder how many people in EMEA have crossed 1000 points this season. So even those who are fast. May never achieve anything.

I definitely disagree with this. I'm never going to be an A+/World Tour driver, unless a miracle happens and I gain several seconds per lap across all tracks/cars under all conditions, but the points and seeing my ranking to everyone is still valuable to me to see how I compare to others. It's also a personal thing for me because as a kid I played racing games and would go out to a local indoor karting track and everyone always said I was super fast, but I really never had a good quantitative ranking of my speed until now with the FIA Championships.

I do wish the point system was a little better though, since, depending on my DR and participation, I fall into two different splits. When I'm in the higher split, I always get less points because I finish worse than if I was in the lower split where even though the race's highest point total is lower, I typically finish better.

I'm using the Corvette for this. It was the fastest out of all the cars I tried in Free Practice (F-Type, Cayman, 650S, Corvette). The McLaren felt good to drive, but for some reason I was much quicker in the final sector with the Corvette. Even though it'll be worse on tire wear, I figure the early extra pace I have with it should nullify that.

That's what I'm hoping with the F-Type is I go with it. For some reason it feels better through the 3rd sector to me than the 650S.

Which, makes me realize, I think I forgot to BOP the Jag when I tested.... :banghead::banghead::banghead: Gonna have to try that out again....

GR.4 C7 & Mustang, are good for short shifting, because of their gearing and torque. GR.3 Mustang pulls lovely in 3rd & 4th, when short shifting in Race B.

I half feel like using the Mustang at Fuji, just for a challenge.
You don't need to short shift the Gr.4 Corvette though. It works best when revved out, but it doesn't lose much pace when short-shifted. Fuel isn't an issue in this race though, so it can be taken to the red line.

Welp, I did forget to BOP the F-Type. Re-running both cars, I'm now about 2-3 seconds faster overall with the 650S and can also get the faster lap with it. But, the F-Type still feels better to drive to me, although the tire wear is definitely more noticeable when BOPed. Hmm..... not sure which to pick now... Top pic is 650S, bottom is F-Type.

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20210112134521.jpg
Gran Turismo®SPORT_20210112141535.jpg

Hi there. Quick question, I've never participated in FIA but I noticed on the calender these are the last two (manufacturer/competitor) races of the season. Do we know when the new one will begin?

Also it says top 16 participants for the next two does that mean there will be a final? Is there anywhere to view the races if that's the case? Thanks

Hi there. Quick question, I've never participated in FIA but I noticed on the calender these are the last two (manufacturer/competitor) races of the season. Do we know when the new one will begin?
No.
Also it says top 16 participants for the next two does that mean there will be a final? Is there anywhere to view the races if that's the case? Thanks
Also no. The Top 16 race might end up on YouTube (with commentary) at some point, but it isn't a final. This is an Exhibition Series.

I definitely disagree with this. I'm never going to be an A+/World Tour driver, unless a miracle happens and I gain several seconds per lap across all tracks/cars under all conditions, but the points and seeing my ranking to everyone is still valuable to me to see how I compare to others. It's also a personal thing for me because as a kid I played racing games and would go out to a local indoor karting track and everyone always said I was super fast, but I really never had a good quantitative ranking of my speed until now with the FIA Championships.

I do wish the point system was a little better though, since, depending on my DR and participation, I fall into two different splits. When I'm in the higher split, I always get less points because I finish worse than if I was in the lower split where even though the race's highest point total is lower, I typically finish better.

That's what I'm hoping with the F-Type is I go with it. For some reason it feels better through the 3rd sector to me than the 650S.

Which, makes me realize, I think I forgot to BOP the Jag when I tested.... :banghead::banghead::banghead: Gonna have to try that out again....
Someone's going to have to explain BOP to a newbie please!

Someone's going to have to explain BOP to a newbie please!

BoP stands for Balance of Performance. PD slightly changes the Power and Weight of each car in the class in an attempt to even them out. Online, it gets turned on automatically. But in offline races, it’s not automatically done for you, so you have to manually turn it on. :)

9D386878-67C0-463D-AEE3-312E9126EDD4.jpeg

Last edited:
I've got a nice old C6 GT4 Belgium livery and my GT4 Michelin(instead of GoodYear) Atenza livery. So torn to run the C7 or the Atenza, because I can only do the three races to get the tyre branding.

Already have the Scirocco and Megane sorted. First world problems...

I've got a nice old C6 GT4 Belgium livery and my GT4 Michelin(instead of GoodYear) Atenza livery. So torn to run the C7 or the Atenza, because I can only do the three races to get the tyre branding.

Already have the Scirocco and Megane sorted. First world problems...

Quick question. For the FIA races. Don't all cars have the tyre branding?

Quick question. For the FIA races. Don't all cars have the tyre branding?
We can't get the tyre branding in Livery Editor. Only Gr.3, GR.2 and GR.1 cars can change tyre branding.

There's been a, I guess, glitch, since Michelin became a partner. The first time I noticed, was with the GR.4 Supra. That car comes with Pirelli branding. When entering Livery Editor, the branding deletes(same with any other GR.4 with tyre branding). Thing is, I entered a Nations Free Practice at Nurburgring and the Pirelli branding reappeared.

A bit later and PD added Michelin branding in the FIA races. Now, any time we enter a Nations races, any car we use from our Garage, can keep the tyre branding as long as we don't enter Livery Editor at any time after an event.

I have no reason why PD haven't just made tyre branding available for all cars, but this glitch gives players an option.

At one stage, all we had to do was one lap around a circuit and the branding stayed. Recently, it seems, we have to complete a race, for the branding to remain on the tyres.

We can't get the tyre branding in Livery Editor. Only Gr.3, GR.2 and GR.1 cars can change tyre branding.

There's been a, I guess, glitch, since Michelin became a partner. The first time I noticed, was with the GR.4 Supra. That car comes with Pirelli branding. When entering Livery Editor, the branding deletes(same with any other GR.4 with tyre branding). Thing is, I entered a Nations Free Practice at Nurburgring and the Pirelli branding reappeared.

A bit later and PD added Michelin branding in the FIA races. Now, any time we enter a Nations races, any car we use from our Garage, can keep the tyre branding as long as we don't enter Livery Editor at any time after an event.

I have no reason why PD haven't just made tyre branding available for all cars, but this glitch gives players an option.

At one stage, all we had to do was one lap around a circuit and the branding stayed. Recently, it seems, we have to complete a race, for the branding to remain on the tyres.

Ohh, thanks, actually didn't know that. I'll check my garage later to see if they still have the branding.

Back