2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
Well I am thinking the Hyundai or Renault for the upcoming exhibition series - anyone have any thoughts?

Hyundai - Overall good, both seem to lack straightaway speed but I can turn on a dime with them. Not sure about fuel/tires.

Renault - GR.3 ok but love the GR.4 Trophy. I take the Trophy into every GR.4 event I can.

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20210207004233.jpg

My latest bit of fun with it.

The Gr.3 Ferrari is very tail happy if you don’t have really good throttle control with MR cars. It’s good on fuel and decently fast, but very hard to control, especially on worn tires.

And, they’re just fake digital cars, don’t get too attached to any one of them, they’re just a tool, just pick the one that works the best for you and go race 👍

Yup ! But I think I’ve decided . The Ferrari doesn’t feel bad to mee, I just need to figure out the tire wear. Beside that I’ve decided to go with the vette. I’m more about enjoying honestly, and the feel from inside the cockpit in the vette is awesome with that hood and that pushrod v8s sound
But thanks for your reply.

I used ford last season (my first season) and I hated it. It felt sluggish and really bad fuel economy the only good thing it had was top end speed. Looking forward to changing this time. I would just try out some cars in lobby races with fuel and tyre wear on and see which performs best
Yeah that’s the problem with Ford . It is beginner friendly because no matter what gear you’re in you can go flatfoot no problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I am thinking the Hyundai or Renault for the upcoming exhibition series - anyone have any thoughts?

Hyundai - Overall good, both seem to lack straightaway speed but I can turn on a dime with them. Not sure about fuel/tires.

Renault - GR.3 ok but love the GR.4 Trophy. I take the Trophy into every GR.4 event I can.

View attachment 990552
My latest bit of fun with it.

I have run both manufacturers in different FIA exhibition seasons. Here is my experience:

Megane Trophy - I love this car too. It's too slow on the straights for some tracks so can be frustrating on those, but the car still feels great.

RS 01 - I couldn't figure this car out at all, lol! Every now and then I'd run a super fast lap, but then follow up with a few crazy inconsistent laps where the car was all over the place. This car and the NSX Gr 3 are two cars that I WANT to be good at, but still haven't figured out how to handle :).

Genesis Gr 3 - Currently my 2nd favorite Gr 3 behind the Lexus. Super smooth, easy to drive, and the gears shift exactly where I want them to on the auto trans. Using BB +2 gives good cornering and balanced tire wear. Agree that straightaway is sometimes an issue, but wasn't a major issue for me.

Genesis Gr 4 - I chose Hyundai for last season because of the Gr 3 car, so I didn't know really what to expect from the Gr 4. This car exceeded my expectations on every track I ran it on! My lap times were always better than they felt like while I was driving. Tire wear was good, and there wasn't much time loss even when the tires started to wear. Red Bull Short and Big Willow were two races I remember finishing several positions higher than my qualifying simply due to running smooth consistent laps all race.

I will likely go with Hyundai again this season.

Ohhhh the choices. The Mustang was so good at the recent Tsukuba Dailies and the Genesis too. Problem with the Mustang, would be at tracks like Tokyo, Bathurst, NurbGP. Genesis is more frugal and balanced compared to the Mustang.

M4 is awesome. Fuel economy & top speed ain't great, but the steering is sharp with a bit of loose rear rotation.

I like the GT-R. Had some fun with it, but don't want to struggle with the AWD tyre wear. Some tracks, it's just as good as an FR with wear. At others, the car begins to feel heavy.

Biggest gripe(other than no Supra GR.4 for Manu), is the Mazda. RX-V has massive potential. It's an awesome car to use. Good results the more I learned its characteristics. Negative is, I don't want to use the GR.4 Atenza(a car I once worshipped).

Then, I look at both RC Fs. Just can't go wrong overall everywhere. I'm not looking for the best, to finish top of
the sheets. As mentioned in the posts above, looking at the best/trouble-free car for me. Plus, I adore these 4-seater coupes taking it to the low-slung MRs and FR sports cars.

And why shouldn’t I call it a rari ? I’m not even going to let you answer, I’m Italian dude, Italians of my age ( 26 ) grow up liking a couple of cars, being, ANY Alfa Romeo. The lancia delta. Any Ferrari as that’s our pride and joy. And the Diablo. And now I’m talking about my age. Lol I’m going to call the Ferrari whatever I wanna call it . By the way do you know the likes of tazio nuvolari?

I'm only joking around. Just found the name funny. If you want to call it a Rari, call it a Rari. :cheers:
Good luck in the Vette.

Haha yeah well . Man they kinda ruined the new vette but I guess they wanted to be even more competitive in the gt3 ... even tho I hear it ain’t doing that good but it is still their first midengine dohc r wheel car after all . But it’s ugly ‍♂️ (Whoever likes the c8, yeah don’t wanna hurt your feelings calling it ugly. Just look me in the eyes and tell me “the c8 looks better then the c6/7”)
Anyways yeah thanks ! Even tho it’s so easy to drive that I don’t think I’ll need much luck xD hopefully, PLUS short shifting in this car is actually a plus.

I've never driven the Renaults, but when I was testing some cars the Hyundais in both Gr. 3 and Gr. 4 felt good. They're both very stable with rear ends that won't kick out, with good fuel consumption and tire wear. They do understeer on turn-in but that can be managed with brake balance and trail braking since they rotate ok.

If anyone's curious, these are the cars I tested after the recent BoP update and the results I got from them. As a disclaimer, I'm not the best at MR cars so my results with the MR cars are probably worse compared to someone who can drive them properly.

upload_2021-2-9_21-10-7.png

upload_2021-2-9_21-10-27.png

do you think its best to stay away from the FF cars now in manufacturers after the BOP update? I like the beetle but not sure if the tyre wear on the scirocco is going to be too bad in GR4

Considering we just had Gr3 at Spa not too long ago I'd say doubtful. I'd love Tokyo EOL in the wet though Gr3
I just picked random tracks without looking at past schedules. WWPDD?:sly: However, just now looked at the archives. GR.4 was at Spa in June and GR.3 was July. We did have GR.4 at Tokyo in October though. Just having some fun.

I just picked random tracks without looking at past schedules. WWPDD?:sly: However, just now looked at the archives. GR.4 was at Spa in June and GR.3 was July. We did have GR.4 at Tokyo in October though. Just having some fun.

WWPDD? You know full well they’ll give us another Group 3 race at Fuji. Like how at least one week a month, that is a daily race.

Oh, you're asking for our predictions? Well, then, have I got some for YOU!:D

Manufacturers

- Gr.3: Interlagos
- Gr.4: Autopolis
- Gr.3: Suzuka
- Gr.4: Bathurst
- Gr.3: NurbGP
- Gr.4: Tokyo EOL
- Gr.3: Spa (Wet)
- Gr.4: Yamagiwa II

Love those! (except for Autopolis ;) ). Fingers crossed :)

I've never driven the Renaults, but when I was testing some cars the Hyundais in both Gr. 3 and Gr. 4 felt good. They're both very stable with rear ends that won't kick out, with good fuel consumption and tire wear. They do understeer on turn-in but that can be managed with brake balance and trail braking since they rotate ok.

If anyone's curious, these are the cars I tested after the recent BoP update and the results I got from them. As a disclaimer, I'm not the best at MR cars so my results with the MR cars are probably worse compared to someone who can drive them properly.

View attachment 990652

View attachment 990653

This is great, thanks for sharing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Has it always been 1 a week or was it different before.

The main FIA 2020 series ran 4 races per week: Nations on Tuesday with 5 timeslots, Manufacturers on Wednesday with 5 timeslots and both series on Saturday with 3 timeslots each for both series (6 timeslots total). Sunday was for the GR Supra Cup that ran once every 2-4 weeks.

Both 2020/21 Exhibition Series ran on a 2 races per week schedule (1 race with 5 timeslots each for both series).

Back to 3 regions for Manufacturers and it looks like it'll still be 1 race per week for each series
https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/news/00_5135534.html
https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/news/00_3869194.html
Well. That was the end of FIA for me. I have a family I can't spend my afternoons or early evenings in a videogame. Perhaps a few times I can cram in at the final slot but mostly not.

Edit. I can make the final Wednesday race because it's UTC and I am on CET. The rest is no-go.
I predict a all time low participation when all people in my situation can only participate in half the Nation's races and half the manufacturer races.

Last edited:
Back