2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
I hesitate to say that this is probably a race the dirty (pun intended) racers probably wouldn't enjoy. Yes the potential to cream up the inside is there but it first requires a modicum of car control which they do not often display. They would find themselves cross country more often than a chance to ram.
Ooooh I can assure you the dirty players had a blast last night! I don't record my races, sadly I can't show how bad that was. In my ~50k lobbies mid-pack battles, everytime I made a pass, it was only to get used as brake the next turn ^^
I mean, those guys who just can't deal with someone being faster, they shouldn't be allowed to participate.

But it's just my bad for being completely **** at qualifying, because in each race the Top 5 or so had a clean run (as always, I'd say). Very intense racing though!

Last edited:
Going to take a break from this game for a little while.

Not going to lower myself to say who it was, but having one of the drivers from the current ‘top 10’ EMEA leaderboard for Tokyo, go out of their way to search your name on PlayStation to then send a screenshot of that leaderboard with comments like ‘try and do that noob’ and ‘learn to drive go back to playing Mario Kart’ amongst other things, takes the enjoyment out of it and makes me wonder why I bother! Not really the thing I’d expect from a top split player.

All that after me just literally telling him to shut up in lobby chat after getting a volley of abuse from him for not getting out the way, and having him purposely crush me into the wall as punishment for not being quick enough!

Good luck everyone for the final race and will hopefully race against some of you when the official season starts! 👍
Hi! Seriously? Guy must be nice person in real life;) Youre always welcome in my lobby if want to practice:)
Some people seems to forget that theres always someone better... Ahh its so pathetic, I just laugh:)

Yesterday, I had entered round 5 of the Nations Cup twice. I had entered this round in the 17:00 and 19:40 slots, finishing 2nd and 1st respectively. I had also started on the pole for the third consecutive round and set the fastest lap in the latter. In both of these races I had entered, I was on the podium and used the Honda NSX Gr. B Rally Car. As of this round, my total points for this season stood at 73.

Ooooh I can assure you the dirty players had a blast last night! I don't record my races, sadly I can't show how bad that was. In my ~50k lobbies mid-pack battles, everytime I made a pass, it was only to get used as brake the next turn ^^
I mean, those guys who just can't deal with someone being faster, they shouldn't be allowed to participate.

But it's just my bad for being completely **** at qualifying, because in each race the Top 5 or so had a clean run (as always, I'd say). Very intense racing though!

Oh no doubt, but I bet there was less of it. Sorry to hear you got caught up with idiots.

Did first slot yesterday, and qualified 6th in spite of not getting a single clean lap in. Bottled the first lap at that annoying sharp left-hander before the back "straight" and lost some spots as a result, but a couple people ahead messed up even worse later on, and I finished 7th. Much less chaotic than I was expecting. I got 192 points for my effort, which was still short of my goal, but it improved my score by 12 points after I threw away a good result in the previous Gr.1 race, so I couldn't risk going again. I guess I'll be stuck doing the final race at Laguna if I want 200 points for both of my counted scores.

Hi All,

@Tidgney did an interesting clip yesterday where he put all the Manufacturers in tiers.

Inspired by that I took the data from: https://gtsport.r1s3.net/

on all the done and dusted Group 4 races in the current series and made my own alignment chart to see if I could come op with some sort of "scientific way" of tiering them using two axels: one for the number of players and one for the average point per player.

This way you get this set of values:
  • Few players / Few points per player
  • Few players / Many points per player
  • Many players / Few points per player
  • Many players / Many points per player
I did this charting for all 3 rounds of the group 4 races using only A class drivers for reference since I'm inclined to believe that the further up you go in class, the better you get at judging strengths and weaknesses of a car in relation to the races in the series (and perhaps are less susceptible of fan-boyism like me). I did not go for the A+ drivers since I felt the sample size would not be big enough.

I then gave points (as seen above) to reflect a car's actual in game performance (points per player) against the number of players choosing that manufacturer. For which I'm assuming they took it thinking it to be the best choice results wise

• The car gets 3 points for both being high on the points and high on number of people driving.
  • 2 points are given to the underdog cars: cars that don't get a lot of love but are on average very well in the performance department.
  • The manufacturer even scores a point if the average score of points per player is low but there are also few players that take the car (people are aware of the weaknesses and avoid it).
  • No points are given to fan favourites (meaning a lot of drivers) that just don't perform as should be expected from the number of players choosing to go with the car.
Tallying these points nets this result:
(there is no preference from left to right and unfortunately tiermaker uses a black background for alignment charts that makes spotting some brands impossible)

upload_2021-4-1_16-48-14.png

I got this result from grouping the cars like so:

Round 2 Dragon Trail Seaside

upload_2021-4-1_16-17-55.png

Round 3 Sardegna - C
upload_2021-4-1_16-18-58.png

Round 5 Mount Panorama
upload_2021-4-1_16-20-15.png

Personally the way this pans out is more or less a fit with my own beliefs. The Jag and McLaren are very good GR4 cars. And I do think the Corvette and Cayman are overrated favourites (but I understand now why they are both in the last Nations race together!). All the others fall where I would expect them apart from maybe the Toyota and Viper which could be one tier higher.

Cheers,

Seth

Last edited:
Cool stuff, Seth. I don't think I knew that you could sort that data by driver rating (or maybe it's a new feature). I'm pretty sure it only used to be S or A+ ranking going into the scores.

It does me wonder what DR level should set what makes a "good" car. Most really quick guys will beat me in anything they're driving, lol.

Cool stuff, Seth. I don't think I knew that you could sort that data by driver rating (or maybe it's a new feature). I'm pretty sure it only used to be S or A+ ranking going into the scores.

It does me wonder what DR level should set what makes a "good" car. Most really quick guys will beat me in anything they're driving, lol.

You have data on results per class and per round and total. I used the number of players in A class and their average score to draw this comparison.
I wanted to factor in "experience" in the result that's why I do not just look at average score per player.

So this will be fun with several people breathing down your neck. I need to make sure I set a minus brake balance at before the race. Normally no matter what I driver the front tyres go. A few laps into a practice lobby tonight I see that my rears are indeed going. This must all be down to the dock part of the track where the car naturally straftes through there. (Like you would in a FPS) This makes it all the more fun when you are creeping through there late race. Thankfully didn't spin so I should be able to nurse the car home. Just hope that those who potentially pit are patient if they catch (and they will).

Do players still cross the pit entry after that turn?
I've stayed in between the lines at entry, but I've seen players skip all that and enter right at the last second.

My exit out of the hairpin has definitely involved crossing over the pit exit line. But on entry, I’m know I’m turning pretty early, Can’t recall if I cross the pit line or not.

This F1 is really messing with me though. I like to use the ghosts to boost my FP time, and with my car upwards of 10 mph on the straights faster, the braking points are just ridiculous. Going into the docks section, I’m starting to brake just past the 150 board, where I see other goes get much closer to the 100 board. I’ll definitely out run you on the straight, but I’m worried mostly about getting punted by someone not paying attention.

Last edited:
Showed up for NA slot 2 at Windmills, ended up in top split with door #16/16.

Managed to snag my very first pole in top split. But unfortunately couldn’t convert it into a win. Had some really fast guys behind and I was too cautious in the opening laps. Fell down to 4th and then a tight battle between 3rd - 5th saw me come home with 4th and a really good haul of points.

Bittersweet I couldn’t convert the pole, but still ended with a decent haul of points. Plus enjoyed the experience with some great clean battles with people around me.

46B4E176-C2C8-4056-8353-EFA5F4611605.jpeg

My exit out of the hairpin has definitely involved crossing over the pit exit line. But on entry, I’m know I’m turning pretty early, Can’t recall if I cross the pit line or not.

This F1 is really messing with me though. I like to use the ghosts to boost my FP time, and with my car upwards of 10 mph on the straights faster, the braking points are just ridiculous. Going into the docks section, I’m starting to brake just past the 150 board, where I see other goes get much closer to the 100 board. I’ll definitely out run you on the straight, but I’m worried mostly about getting punted by someone not paying attention.
I mean the dive into the pits(edited). Are people taking the entry lane or cutting through that and entering striaght into the building?

Hi All,

@Tidgney did an interesting clip yesterday where he put all the Manufacturers in tiers.

Inspired by that I took the data from: https://gtsport.r1s3.net/

on all the done and dusted Group 4 races in the current series and made my own alignment chart to see if I could come op with some sort of "scientific way" of tiering them using two axels: one for the number of players and one for the average point per player.

This way you get this set of values:
  • Few players / Few points per player
  • Few players / Many points per player
  • Many players / Few points per player
  • Many players / Many points per player
I did this charting for all 3 rounds of the group 4 races using only A class drivers for reference since I'm inclined to believe that the further up you go in class, the better you get at judging strengths and weaknesses of a car in relation to the races in the series (and perhaps are less susceptible of fan-boyism like me). I did not go for the A+ drivers since I felt the sample size would not be big enough.

I then gave points (as seen above) to reflect a car's actual in game performance (points per player) against the number of players choosing that manufacturer. For which I'm assuming they took it thinking it to be the best choice results wise

• The car gets 3 points for both being high on the points and high on number of people driving.
  • 2 points are given to the underdog cars: cars that don't get a lot of love but are on average very well in the performance department.
  • The manufacturer even scores a point if the average score of points per player is low but there are also few players that take the car (people are aware of the weaknesses and avoid it).
  • No points are given to fan favourites (meaning a lot of drivers) that just don't perform as should be expected from the number of players choosing to go with the car.
Tallying these points nets this result:
(there is no preference from left to right and unfortunately tiermaker uses a black background for alignment charts that makes spotting some brands impossible)

View attachment 1001495

I got this result from grouping the cars like so:

Round 2 Dragon Trail Seaside

View attachment 1001489

Round 3 Sardegna - C
View attachment 1001492

Round 5 Mount Panorama
View attachment 1001493

Personally the way this pans out is more or less a fit with my own beliefs. The Jag and McLaren are very good GR4 cars. And I do think the Corvette and Cayman are overrated favourites (but I understand now why they are both in the last Nations race together!). All the others fall where I would expect them apart from maybe the Toyota and Viper which could be one tier higher.

Cheers,

Seth

I haven't watched Tidgney's video yet, and I know he's a much better/faster driver than I ever will be, but I do not think it's possible to make a completely accurate tier list for GT Sport.

- Different driving styles will suit different cars -> Tidgney doesn't suit the McLaren Gr.4, but I got 2 wins with it when I used it in FIA last year (most wins I got in a season).
- BOP could be changed at any time -> Mazda RXV went from a backmarker straight to being OP this season. Vice versa for FF Gr.4.
- Different tracks suit different cars and there's no guarantee a season is going to be balanced to cater to all cars.
- Tyre/fuel multiplier can have a huge impact on competitiveness -> WRX Gr.3 normally is average in Interlagos, but due to being a fuel race it became OP in last year FIA finals.
- Some cars are better in quali, but bad in race with fuel weight/tyre wear and vice versa.
- Consistency vs high risk high reward -> do you pick an average car over the course of a season, or one that is meta in 1-2 races and useless in the rest? I can't drive the NSX Gr.3 to save my life, but I picked it because I knew it would be meta in the Spa Wet race this season. I duly won it and got 200+ points, even though my other races average low 100s.
- If you're an alien, you can be fast with any car -> Mitsubishi in EMEA this season is right up there even though it's stone dead last in many previous seasons.
- If you're going for the WT, you better hope there are no other fast drivers who picked the same manu as you. If you go for a "quiet" manu, then you better hope there are fast enough drivers in the other regions to help pull the points.

So there are a LOT of factors, and it's gonna be different for each person, track and season. That's why I feel the best way is to test the cars out yourself. But at the end of the day, unless you're already a regular top split frontrunner it's not going to make too much of a difference to your end result. So moral of the story, just pick what you like and enjoy driving ;) 👍

Last edited:
I'm really interested to see the split between no stoppers and one stoppers in tomorrow's manufacturers race. I have admittedly only done one test lobby online (plan to do at least one other later) but laps 2-10 (when I got disconnected) were all low-mid 1:58's with no draft for almost all of those laps. I was stuck in a bit of no mans lap mid pack. Admittedly, time trial on soft for me in the BMW was a low 1:55's. So that shows the tyre delta and the tyre management I was doing, but tyres were still very consistent. Shame I didn't get to do the final 5 laps - hopefully tonight I will have more luck on that front! But I don't think the delta will be large enough for me to warrant a stop. Whats everyone else's experiences so far?

I haven't watched Tidgney's video yet, and I know he's a much better/faster driver than I ever will be, but I do not think it's possible to make a completely accurate tier list for GT Sport.

- Different driving styles will suit different cars -> Tidgney doesn't suit the McLaren Gr.4, but I got 2 wins with it when I used it in FIA last year (most in a season).
- BOP could be changed at any time -> Mazda RXV went from a backmarker straight to being OP this season. Vice versa for FF Gr.4.
- Different tracks suit different cars and there's no guarantee a season is going to be balanced to cater to all cars.
- Tyre/fuel multiplier can have a huge impact on competitiveness -> WRX Gr.3 normally is average in Interlagos, but due to being a fuel race it became OP in last year FIA finals.
- Some cars are better in quali, but bad in race with fuel weight/tyre wear and vice versa.
- Consistency vs high risk high reward -> do you pick an average car over the course of a season, or one that is meta in 1-2 races and useless in the rest? I can't drive the NSX Gr.3 to save my life, but I picked it because I knew it would be meta in the Spa Wet race this season. I duly won it and got 200+ points, even though my other races average low 100s.
- If you're an alien, you can be fast with any car -> Mitsubishi in EMEA this season is right up there even though it's widely regarded as the worst manu.
- If you're going for the WT, you better hope there are no other fast drivers who picked the same manu as you. If you go for a "quiet" manu, then you better hope there are fast enough drivers in the other regions to help pull the points.

So there are a LOT of factors, and it's gonna be different for each person, track and season. That's why I feel the best way is to test the cars out yourself. But at the end of the day, unless you're already a regular top split frontrunner it's not going to make too much of a difference to your end result. So moral of the story, just pick what you like and enjoy driving ;) 👍

Agree with this.
It's all personal preference and opinion. For instance he said he didn't like the RS01. That's fair enough but he didn't explain why. It's not an easy car I know from experience. It requires balanced driving a lot like his beloved R8. Only difference is that the R8 is quicker in a straight line. I noticed other similar cars such as the Lambo and C4 he also dismissed. Again all similar to the R8 in that they are tricky MR cars. I think we'd all group the cars similarly to what he did, but frankly with BOP and track differences you can make any car work. Who'd have thought Subaru would be the current champions? Nobody probably.

Whatever you do tomorrow night, don’t try to no stop Softs(I think Meds are required anyways). I did a couple practice races last night and in the second one, I forgot to change back to mediums after Qually. I decided to run them anyways instead of stopping because I remembered seeing in the world tour events that they always say soft tires last the same amount of time as mediums. This isn’t true at all! :lol:

D7574367-FC80-4CAC-8E7C-4900F4C0AB26.jpeg

7CA270F5-1830-4817-882D-9B059BDEB77C.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm really interested to see the split between no stoppers and one stoppers in tomorrow's manufacturers race. I have admittedly only done one test lobby online (plan to do at least one other later) but laps 2-10 (when I got disconnected) were all low-mid 1:58's with no draft for almost all of those laps. I was stuck in a bit of no mans lap mid pack. Admittedly, time trial on soft for me in the BMW was a low 1:55's. So that shows the tyre delta and the tyre management I was doing, but tyres were still very consistent. Shame I didn't get to do the final 5 laps - hopefully tonight I will have more luck on that front! But I don't think the delta will be large enough for me to warrant a stop. Whats everyone else's experiences so far?

With the Peugeot i use the first 8 laps on mediums are fine, then wear starts to kick in.
By lap 13 i am losing several seconds a lap compared to the first ones, and the car is difficult to handle in the twisty parts.
Still, a one stop will costs about 22 seconds so unless you are in the front (I will not be there) and you can pull away a big gap, and be very good at overtaking (or ramming) a one stop will not be the wise choise, I think...

Then again, if you are tyresaving for a no stop, the ones behind you on a one-stop will likely ram you to get past so that might also be an issue....

With the Peugeot i use the first 8 laps on mediums are fine, then wear starts to kick in.
By lap 13 i am losing several seconds a lap compared to the first ones, and the car is difficult to handle in the twisty parts.
Still, a one stop will costs about 22 seconds so unless you are in the front (I will not be there) and you can pull away a big gap, and be very good at overtaking (or ramming) a one stop will not be the wise choise, I think...

Then again, if you are tyresaving for a no stop, the ones behind you on a one-stop will likely ram you to get past so that might also be an issue....

Braking into the Docks and Pit hairpins is also an issue. I can brake at the lamppost in between 150 and 100 into Docks Hairpin and just after 150 into Pit Hairpin even with Mediums in the Citroen (for the first 10 laps), but there are people braking right on or before the 150 board in both hairpins even on fresh tyres.

It isn’t a good feeling realising that you braked a lot later than the guy in front and have to decide between making the mother of all divebombs or sending the guy ahead into another dimension.

If you are driving a car with no brakes or are braking early into the hairpins, watch your back and/or radar.

Last edited:
Agree with this.
It's all personal preference and opinion. For instance he said he didn't like the RS01. That's fair enough but he didn't explain why. It's not an easy car I know from experience. It requires balanced driving a lot like his beloved R8. Only difference is that the R8 is quicker in a straight line. I noticed other similar cars such as the Lambo and C4 he also dismissed. Again all similar to the R8 in that they are tricky MR cars. I think we'd all group the cars similarly to what he did, but frankly with BOP and track differences you can make any car work. Who'd have thought Subaru would be the current champions? Nobody probably.

It was an interesting watch but like you I do wish he went into some details as to why he didn't like certain cars. Was it too slow, hard on tyres, over/under steer etc. Even just some of those simple basics would have helped.

He dismissed the Hyundai cars with I don't like them and as you say it's an opinion but without any detail it's not really an helpful one. Me I like the Genises because it stable, good on brakes and keeps its tyres fairly well at least the way I drive it. It lacks top end so I am never going to win a race with it but if you are on an unfamiliar track I think it's a good car to learn it with, so for those reasons I like the Genises.

No one is going to agree but details are important to help inform your choices. I imagine @Tidgney probably wanted to keep his video concise, to the point and not 12 hours long but yeah a tiny bit more detail would have been useful. Maybe a manufacturer series where he goes into some more detail on a couple of them per video but bops might make that a bit hard to keep updated.

Whatever you do tomorrow night, don’t try to no stop Softs(I think Meds are required anyways). I did a couple practice races last night and in the second one, I forgot to change back to mediums after Qually. I decided to run them anyways instead of stopping because I remembered seeing in the world tour events that they always say soft tires last the same amount of time as mediums. This isn’t true at all! :lol:

View attachment 1001725
View attachment 1001726

I have been doing some no stop practice on the mediums in the Lexus RC F and I really hope I have gapped the person behind me on the last couple of laps. Its certainly going to be a bit sketchy tyre wise and I really don't want to be in a fight at that point.

My mediums are proper second hand much like your screenshots, way more red than white. It always makes me laugh when I watch a YouTuber racing and they say their tyres are starting to feel second hand when there is barely a couple pixels of red (slightly exaggerated but you know what I mean.).

Anyhow looking forward to this last race of this exhibition series and hope I don't get a dirty lobby.

Maybe a manufacturer series where he goes into some more detail on a couple of them per video but bops might make that a bit hard to keep updated.

Tidgney has a section on his channel (actually three now) in which he goes through each group 3 car in detail. There is even a downloadable excel file. The two others are work in progress: group 4 and a new format for (at least) a revisite of the group 3 cars.

There is also driving school and it's very much worth your effort to just watch the older voice over vids. In most he has something to teach.

Cheers,

Seth

It was an interesting watch but like you I do wish he went into some details as to why he didn't like certain cars. Was it too slow, hard on tyres, over/under steer etc. Even just some of those simple basics would have helped.

He dismissed the Hyundai cars with I don't like them and as you say it's an opinion but without any detail it's not really an helpful one. Me I like the Genises because it stable, good on brakes and keeps its tyres fairly well at least the way I drive it. It lacks top end so I am never going to win a race with it but if you are on an unfamiliar track I think it's a good car to learn it with, so for those reasons I like the Genises.

No one is going to agree but details are important to help inform your choices. I imagine @Tidgney probably wanted to keep his video concise, to the point and not 12 hours long but yeah a tiny bit more detail would have been useful. Maybe a manufacturer series where he goes into some more detail on a couple of them per video but bops might make that a bit hard to keep updated.

Literally this, so I mentioned I'd already filmed it once prior (3 weeks ago ish) and that was 40+ minutes and had a bit more info. But in reality as you say the video could be 12 hours long with in depth look at each. You also have to remember each season is different, so Mclaren in a different season I imagine would be rubbish in others good and as always it's all personal opinion :D!

Latest Posts

Back