2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
These actually look like a really good mix of races to me. Nations is going to test a wide skill set. RBJr at Big Willow could be a real blast and rounds 1,5,7 and 8 are all genuinely interesting.

Manu is suggesting a mix of power and technical combos with a lot of tyre management and some fuel saving for good measure. I’m actually looking forward to running some testing to decide who to sign with. My instincts are currently leaning to Aston Martin with DBR9 for Group 3.

Lots of tire management sounds like Mazda Vision in Gr3 .... it is *incredible*. However....the Gr4 AWD Atenza makes Mazda almost unbearable to me :-(

What other manufacturer has good tire wear and decent power? Jaguar and Mercedes?
Toyota is excelent in Gr3 ...I'm not sure how it is on Gr4, though.... the 86 has absolutely no power and I never drove the Gr4 Supra

Citroen won out in the end. The deciding factor was that it's much less common than Chevrolet. I guess I should probably also attempt to get to grips with MR cars sooner or later. I have to get rid of the Ferrari trauma at some point. ;)

I've kept my general theme of food or drink themed liveries going - time for some Jaffa Cakes this time around! :D

Citroen Lineup.png
My Great Game - My Great Capture_2021-04-14_13-04-31.png

Citroen won out in the end. The deciding factor was that it's much less common than Chevrolet. I guess I should probably also attempt to get to grips with MR cars sooner or later. I have to get rid of the Ferrari trauma at some point. ;)

I've kept my general theme of food or drink themed liveries going - time for some Jaffa Cakes this time around! :D

View attachment 1004344View attachment 1004345

I would not be surprised if the Citroen would turn out to be a popular choice for the official season. It performed very well for those that dared to take it

Lots of tire management sounds like Mazda Vision in Gr3 .... it is *incredible*. However....the Gr4 AWD Atenza makes Mazda almost unbearable to me :-(

What other manufacturer has good tire wear and decent power? Jaguar and Mercedes?
Toyota is excelent in Gr3 ...I'm not sure how it is on Gr4, though.... the 86 has absolutely no power and I never drove the Gr4 Supra

Stick with that F1 :lol: I'll need slipstream partner for Le Mans and Sardegna A

I don't think you can pick the Gr.4 Supra for Manufacturer's anyway.

I would not be surprised if the Citroen would turn out to be a popular choice for the official season. It performed very well for those that dared to take it

I am going for Citroen this season. mainly because i then have used all French manufacturers and I do not want to use Jaguar as many will already do that. Hartly seen any Citroens past seasons on track.....

.But also a bit because of your earlier post where you showed how all cars performed in last exhibition series. Citroen scored well in that, both Gr3 and GR4. So decided to test them a bit and liked how they performed, especially the GR 4. So thanks for that!

I'm seeing five good races for Nissan in Manu, three meh, two bad. That might be the best group of 10 races I've ever seen.

The Red Bull Jr. on Sport Mediums will be a laugh.
Also, I love how the Gr.1 race at Spa has a 1x tire wear multiplier, all 3 compounds available, but makes RH mandatory?? At 1x tire wear, these cars could probably do the entire race easily on Mediums, but they're making us use Hards?

Then again with wear so low, it might be possible to do enough laps on the Softs to build a big enough gap to actually make a pit stop and still be ahead of those who choose to do the entire race on Hards.

Stick with that F1 :lol: I'll need slipstream partner for Le Mans and Sardegna A

Hahahha..... well... we can certainly try, but you will pass me roughly 50m after the first straight starts and I will see you drive away into the distance from then on.
I am definitely changing teams this time around. Will leave my beloved F1 in the garage, taking a break.
I'm inclined to go with AMG... it will be the iconic West McLaren Mercedes.

Hahahha..... well... we can certainly try, but you will pass me roughly 50m after the first straight starts and I will see you drive away into the distance from then on.
I am definitely changing teams this time around. Will leave my beloved F1 in the garage, taking a break.
I'm inclined to go with AMG... it will be the iconic West McLaren Mercedes.

If there was ever a season catered to the F1 the time is now, lol. Clear meta at least two of the tracks plus I bet Gr4 McLaren will be great at Tokyo having 7th gear and such flexibility short shifting. Just putting it out there!

I've only raced with you a few times but you've been right behind me on all of them just matter of time I'll be starting behind you :lol:

I'm relatively disinterested in the regulations for this first stage of the FIAGTCs. I'm just so tired of it either being one-makes, or allowing all cars within a class to enter - we need a lot more events like that last round, where you can only pick the German Gr.3 cars at the Nurburgring. I mean, I totally get it when the one-make events feature a kart, a formula-styled car like the SF19, or an especially special Gr.X car like the Red Bull X2014 Junior, or some really wild concept car like the Honda 2&4.

That said, I might still enter the Nations Cup, as I was very satisfied with my results for the 2020 season - and especially since I'm unemployed at the moment. Could someone refresh me how points are calculated for this year? I was hoping it'd only count a fraction of the best rounds like the previous times.

EDIT: It seems to be the best four, so maybe I'll enter one of the two, we'll see.

EDIT2: I think I might try my hand at the Manufacturers Series this time, since the only rounds that interest me for the Nations Cup are rounds 1, 3, 5, 7, and 10. I especially have antipathy for round 8, as I really don't like Tsukuba unless it's with something with under 150HP. I do recall doing somewhat well for Hyundai in the Manufacturers Series in 2020, too, so I do wanna try Hyundai again. Especially since in the real world, I've been eyeing a Veloster...

Last edited:
Looking forward to both seasons and I like the look of a lot of the races in both calenders. lots of HDF car in nations makes me very happy. As for manufacturer I've plumped with arguably a "boring" choice and gone with Mercedes after using an oddball manufacturer for basically every FIA season ever I look forward to racing with a manufacturer that's actually good at most combos.

Looking forward to both seasons and I like the look of a lot of the races in both calenders. lots of HDF car in nations makes me very happy. As for manufacturer I've plumped with arguably a "boring" choice and gone with Mercedes after using an oddball manufacturer for basically every FIA season ever I look forward to racing with a manufacturer that's actually good at most combos.

What odd balls would that be?

As a late starter to GT Sport (this is my first seasonal break) what’s the deadline for choosing your manufacturer? And are there likely to be BOP changes before the next season?
i.e. should I just choose now or not risk jumping the gun and wait for a bit?

Last edited:
As a late starter to GT Sport (this is my first seasonal break) what’s the deadline for choosing your manufacturer? And are there likely to be BOP changes before the next season?

Deadline is before you enter your first race.

So if you skip 2 - 3 rounds for e.g., just to see how things play out, it'll be fine. You can go to round 4 and pick then.

But once you pick you're locked in.

Technically speaking, you can hold off on signing right up until before the final time slot of the final round, but you will forfeit all rounds and timeslots that were held before you signed up.

This was timely as I did my randomisation process on Monday. And after rising to the Renault challenge during the exhibition series it decided to keep things on hard mode and has given me...
7431018550074015756_0.jpg

Yup Lambo.
Not driven the Gr4 much so a lot to learn.
Had a brief practice in @LVS_1986 lobby. Set a quicker qualy time than my practice (And maybe my fastest Gr3 Cataluyna time) and kept it on the track throughout the race. Nervous few laps on both stints in the 1 stop. :nervous: Still happy with how the race went.

I'm a sucker for a good Red Bull Junior race, love how the car handles.

Tried how it feels on Willow Springs since I don't like it that much. It's fun, but as risky as expected. Was testing passing last corner flat out, took me longer than I'd like to admit but it is definitely possible, especially with soft tires. Not sure how it will behave with 13 times tire wear though.

I'm a sucker for a good Red Bull Junior race, love how the car handles.

Tried how it feels on Willow Springs since I don't like it that much. It's fun, but as risky as expected. Was testing passing last corner flat out, took me longer than I'd like to admit but it is definitely possible, especially with soft tires. Not sure how it will behave with 13 times tire wear though.
Did you test it on sports tires though? 13x wear wouldn't be a problem for these even on racing tires, but on sports tires there should literally be no noticeable wear.

Did you test it on sports tires though? 13x wear wouldn't be a problem for these even on racing tires, but on sports tires there should literally be no noticeable wear.
Just checked, looks like I used racing tires. Didn't know sports tires are that wear-resistant.

Yesss! At last I get to bring out my F150 again! :lol:

Ey9pPFvWQAMvd_G

Though I'm not a big fan of Tsukuba the lack of any high speed sections might actually prove beneficial. Last time I was being outclassed on the straights but through the corners actually on par with the other cars. Didn't really make much sense to me but hey, I'll take it :lol:

Back