2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
I decided to sign for Aston despite the nerf since it was either Aston or Jag I was thinking of pre-nerf, and the Aston felt better in my limited testing. Only got to do a dozen FP laps and a practice race last night for this track, and I thought I might actually be semi-competitive... until I saw I got joined to a 226 point race as Door #20, a split higher than normal for me. So I just wanted to finish not-last. Not that it would've mattered if I was in the lower split and competitive because I have never seen such bad lag before. It was like there was an earthquake going on while aliens were testing out teleportation technology during the race with how cars kept jittering and phasing in and out of existence....

Q16, P17, not much to write about since I wasn't strong here and outclassed in the lobby. Got to see @praiano63 in the race so that was nice, thanks for your tunes back in the GT5 days. The only real exciting this was surviving this moment, courtesy of the ridiculous lag:

*sigh* PD, please fix the servers.... The times where I was passing others, it was completely impossible to figure out where their car was since they'd blip in and out of existence everywhere. Like I tried to pass on the inside of T1 and it looked like the other car braked too late, only for them to teleport right next to me at the apex and for us to almost collide.

One thing changed. The number of people that signed up to any given manufacturer. So that must be what they base it on.

While I would find that ok to rebalance classes, again, my issue is that it happened after literally the first race. If this was a mid-season change, fine, no big deal, that's fair, or if BoP was changed every race/on a regular basis, again, no big deal. But after just one race? If the idea is to try and balance out the manufacturers based on player counts and points each manufacturer scores, there's no way you can determine that after just one race in one class.

Lago Maggiore in the Citroen actually went better than I had anticipated. :)

I put it on P7 in qualifying, but had a shaky start. Does anyone else struggle a bit with nerves at the start of FIA races? I sometimes find my left leg shakes which is fantastic for braking. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I tend to get nerves before FIA races as well. Like, my heart rate increases quite a bit, which is something I definitely find great since it totally doesn't make me more nervous /s

So much lag it’s ridiculous. That guy was 7s ahead but he lagged so much he still hit me and messed up my last lap.

Didn't realize you were on GTP, I was in that race as well, although much further back because I sucked here. I was wondering if I was the only one who was seeing teleporting cars. Sorry to see the alien technology was interfering with your race a lot though.

I decided to sign for Aston despite the nerf since it was either Aston or Jag I was thinking of pre-nerf, and the Aston felt better in my limited testing. Only got to do a dozen FP laps and a practice race last night for this track, and I thought I might actually be semi-competitive... until I saw I got joined to a 226 point race as Door #20, a split higher than normal for me. So I just wanted to finish not-last. Not that it would've mattered if I was in the lower split and competitive because I have never seen such bad lag before. It was like there was an earthquake going on while aliens were testing out teleportation technology during the race with how cars kept jittering and phasing in and out of existence....

Q16, P17, not much to write about since I wasn't strong here and outclassed in the lobby. Got to see @praiano63 in the race so that was nice, thanks for your tunes back in the GT5 days. The only real exciting this was surviving this moment, courtesy of the ridiculous lag:

*sigh* PD, please fix the servers.... The times where I was passing others, it was completely impossible to figure out where their car was since they'd blip in and out of existence everywhere. Like I tried to pass on the inside of T1 and it looked like the other car braked too late, only for them to teleport right next to me at the apex and for us to almost collide.

While I would find that ok to rebalance classes, again, my issue is that it happened after literally the first race. If this was a mid-season change, fine, no big deal, that's fair, or if BoP was changed every race/on a regular basis, again, no big deal. But after just one race? If the idea is to try and balance out the manufacturers based on player counts and points each manufacturer scores, there's no way you can determine that after just one race in one class.

Yeah, I tend to get nerves before FIA races as well. Like, my heart rate increases quite a bit, which is something I definitely find great since it totally doesn't make me more nervous /s

Didn't realize you were on GTP, I was in that race as well, although much further back because I sucked here. I was wondering if I was the only one who was seeing teleporting cars. Sorry to see the alien technology was interfering with your race a lot though.

It was a nice intense race. Not due to the track for sure , too short and boring . I finished 9 , good result after someone miss the braking point down the straight on the banked turn and send me to the sand mid race.
After , a good battle till the end.

Yeah I saw you in the race. I’m surprised I saved the car after the ghost hit as it was so unexpected. It forced me to do another race as I was mad.

Lag was bad and you were lucky there! I had a similar incident in my last race. Not sure what’s happening with the servers. Probably COVID-19 lockdowns again haha

Well that was legit terrible. Started 12th in the 820PM race, finished 7th, got 28 points. Felt I could do better.

..... that was my mistake right there, not walking away....

Qualified kinda bad in the next race. Fought my way up to 12th when - on the third lap - someone driving for BMW decided to take me and another car out after i passed him at the big banky boy. I would finished 18th. Dropped 1200 DR. Forgot to save the replay.

Can't end my night like that. (Foolish me)

Get an OKAY qualifying lap, begin to start lap two and the guy behind me in a Toyota shunts me and so much for qualifying. Lap ONE of the 11PM race? On the backstretch, running 15th, that same Toyota tangles with a Mustang and the Mustang goes across the track and T-bones me.

Video here ->

Dropped back to 18th, finished 13th after a good battle with a nice Brazilian.

All told, meh. Down 1600 DR for the day. Although there's the 12:20 race....

Edit: OF COURSE I kept going.

Qualified 7th. Doing well until Lap 4, get PIT maneuvered in turn two, passed by the pack. Fought back and pushed wide and nearly - by the same guy - several laps later. Dropped to P18. Get stuck battling with the guy in P17 who just took his turn to push my car any chance he had.

Picked up a weird Penalty here, said I collided with him.
Video - >

Somehow went from P17 to P13 on the last lap. Absolute CHAOS.

All told, down 2000 DR from the high point after my first race.

Lesson learned, stop digging teh hole.

Last edited by a moderator:
Earlier at round two of the Manufacturers Series, I entered in the 4:00PM and 6:40PM slots. In my first attempt, I had started in 8th place, but my numerous penalties relegated me to finishing in 11th. I then made my second and last attempt of the night. My qualifying was even worse, having started in 12th. Despite this, I still won that race. I had scored 42 points, just like the previous the round; my DR and SR rating was back to B and S respectively.

Did all five races, had complete crap the entire night. If it wasn't one thing, it was another. There was absolutely nothing good, any opportunities were quickly taken away, a complete waste of potential for the night.

Why make the turn? Just slows you down.

Divebomb three-wide into Turn 1? Sure.

Clearly my fault for not allowing him to move over far enough to actually pass without ramming me.

Oceania Slot 1. Door number 3 in a B/S race. Qualified P1 and finished P2. 101 points.

I was hoping to do ok at the Lake, as I like this track and generally have a good time there. I somehow managed a 1:29.6xx and stuck the Rexy on pole. This does not happen much, only 2 poles in 341 FIA races :irked: The McLaren with door #1 was on my tail during qualifying and I accidentally blocked his hot lap as I was trying to get out his way after my pole lap. So, we have the McLaren in p2 and a Corvette in p3. Off to a good start but Corvette pushed past momentarily on lap 2 but I recovered and passed him. The McLaren eventually overtook me on lap 6 and I was quite happy to let him have the win after I messed up his qualifying lap. I tried to stay with him but he was just the better driver on the day, eventually the gap got to 3 seconds by race's end. I was just happy to have a (mostly) mistake-free race with a podium finish and most points so far under current system. My DR was also boosted to an all-time high with 1333 points. :) Looking forward to next round.

@Raptor013 was in the same race but got caught up in the traffic. Good to see you on-track dude.

20210429143208.jpg
20210429143225.jpg
20210429143239.jpg
20210429143250.jpg
Gran Turismo™SPORT_20210428201335.jpg

Last edited:
It was turning out to be a bad night. Couldn’t race until the 3rd slot. First attempt I was cold and couldn’t find my rhythm, not to mention the lag was ridiculous and basically ruined the racing. Next attempt was going slightly better, was about to fight for P8 in a 300pt lobby when my power flickered because of the storm in my area...disconnected.

Final slot of the night, 2000DR lower than when I started, 270pt lobby. Finally hooked up a good Q lap and started P4. Guys ahead decided to fight a little too early for my liking, so when I had the opportunity to bump draft P3 into a battle for the lead, it worked out perfectly and I slipped right through the opening to P2. A lap or two later the leader made a mistake exiting big banky. I didn’t really want to pass him yet but the guy behind was close and pushing hard. Once I took the lead I just tried to focus on my lines and breathe. P2 was faster than me through the final sector but I was nailing T3 so well that he kept falling back too far to make a serious attempt at a pass. I’m super happy he was clean and didn’t try to dive me. He probably could have a few times and gotten away with it. Eventually the Porsche behind him started threatening and they cost each other enough time for me to break away. Didn’t expect a 270pt win in the Gr4 Vette, but I will take that any day.

Here’s a clip of the double overtake I got early in the race, and below it is the full race from my view. Cheers everyone!

I only had time for a single race last night - the final slot of the day. I ran a bunch of practice laps and finally managed a sub-1:29 lap and was running consistent 1:29:2's, so I was confident it would be a good race. Jumping into the lobby, I was door #2 in my F-Type, so again, feeling confident. Then qualifying happens. I got stuck in the pits for ages and eventually managed to get out around 12th on the track, and let a couple guys past until there was a clear track and a Scirocco nearby - I let him past so I could slipstream my first flying lap. He managed a brilliant 2nd place time, but I messed up the final turn and was sitting in 5th until the dying seconds of the race when I dropped to Q7 with a rather poor 1:29:9...
Starting Q7 I thought I might be able to hang on to a top-10, maybe even fight for a top-5 finish. But it turns out dreams are free... Terrible first half of the race, finding myself in 12th by the halfway point of the race, in clear space with a yellow Merc chasing me down but at a reasonable distance behind.
Earlier in the race (about lap 4 or 5) I had a go at a pass on the inside at Turn 1 on a Scirocco to get 6th place, when I thought I had the overrun and the speed to get past. It turned into a dive and I tapped him, so tried to give the position back, but he just slowed right down and I ended up with a 1s penalty, which is why I dropped so far through the pack.
Later in the race (I think around lap 15) I had finally caught the Aston Martin and Hyundai I had been working with earlier in the race before I lost their slipstream due to the stupid penalty. They didn't seem to want to work together anymore, and I eventually slipped past them while they ran each other wide through the final sector of the lap. However, this then opened the door for the yellow Merc who slipped by all of us, and the rejoining Aston Martin nudged me off the track and I dropped back behind all of them!
Limped home in 11th place, head shaking, disappointed with a poor result. Can only hope for better next time around.

Last edited:
I entered the second Manufacturers Series round, got a clean Q15/P15, but I had some real nice battles literally right to the last corner of the last lap. But I'm still not feeling confident in my skills, as I was driving the Genesis Gr.4, and so was the Argentinian pole-sitter. So I can't say it's the car that's slow. For what it's worth, my brake balance was +/- 0, though I was considering the idea of moving it towards the rear one or two notches. I'm generally unsure if I should continue the Manufacturers Series or if I should just give up and play something else, especially since I’m continuing to lose DR.

May I suggest watching this instead of talk about quiting (we don't do that here, you know :lol:)

It helps... a lot!

So much lag it’s ridiculous. That guy was 7s ahead but he lagged so much he still hit me and messed up my last lap.

That was not a car, that was a Ninja!

Last edited:
Im not going to lie, last nights race was horrific. Door 7 but Qualy was 19th (it was a horrible lap and 2 people in front decided to fight and we didnt get around for another lap). Ended up in 16th, passed another Aston and the other one finished 12th... it wasnt a race for Aston.

Decided to run AGAIN last night. Got in to the 4th slot, for my third attempt.

Door number 5
Q6, with a 29.0
Finished P5
147 points
+500 DR

Race was a bit frustrating. Got stuck behind a driver who was adamant on running a defensive line, even when I stuck to the racing lines and remained behind him. Tried flashing my lights (depending on his view, could well have never seen them).

Eventually got so fed up and did go for a lunge. Inexcusable, I know, not going to defend myself. Was fed up and really frustrated watching the leading cars pull away from us. Perhaps the final straw was the weaving on the back straight to try break the tow.

Overtaken by a Spaniard, who seemed to understand that I wasn't looking to battle, but build a gap, didn't try to overtake him, reckon he had more pace, settled for 5th.

Will upload the video of the race. When I get off work.

Don't think he did anything wrong, just understeer and squeezed me off. In the moment I thought he intentionally rammed me off. So I definitely wasn't going to let the position go.

Last edited:
Another good race which surprised me with all the talk of a revised penalty system in place.

FIA Manufacture’s Race – Round 2
Last slot EMEA - TPC Hyundai Genesis GR.4

D/S Lobby - Door #18
Qualified 11th with 1:32.440
Tire strategy: None, 18RH with no stops
Finished P9
Fastest lap: 1:32.035 (L12) / Average laps: 1:34.339
9 points for the Hyundai
+246 DR

Shared video tags: tpc, fiagtc, 2021r2

The TPC Hyundai Genesis GR.4 was awesome!

8512388304788816912_0.jpg

Another race that ran well for me. No penalties (CRB earned), no major collisions with my fellow racers (but saw quite a lot in the replay). Another race with the head down, racing the track not the other racers, and passing those who couldn’t keep it together for 18 laps.

178047902_1074417626415550_1836801433499167897_n.jpg

No Nation's Cup again for me this weekend so I have all week to get the GR.3 cars ready for Fuji and to prepare for a couple club events.

Enjoy your racing – Good luck to all this season!

Pretty rotten overall experience at Lago Maggiore. Network quality made the racing impossible, and my qualifying and race itself was impacted by some others' poor driving manners.

The network quality was so awful that I was able to get in a full lap after the FP session timer ended and the matching started... the good news is that I put in my best lap time in that bonus lap, and at my targeted time, which I had struggled to get to during all the prior sessions. A 1:28.5 in the Cayman was about as best as I could do, and I was counting on a clean steady race to score a top 10 if possible, but no designs on doing better.

It was obvious the session was going to be bad because of so many with low network connection quality... I tried to give space because of that, and still catch a tow in the anemic Cayman-- was on a decent first flying lap, But I was hit from behind by an ATK team driver, entering the tricky final turn, ruining that lap and the one after as I had no momentum entering lap two. I was lucky to get a third timed lap, but in a tight field, with no tow, I could only qualify a poor 18th.

Then in the race, I was shoved off the track exiting the first slow right hand hairpin on LAP ONE, by a fellow with a PSN ID that was a play on Niki Lauda. Now, maybe he had a bad network connection and didn't mean it, but he went to the exit curb and if he had any idea I was there, he should have given me space. Race definitely ruined as I was nearly 6 sec behind the field when I got back onto the tarmac.

I tried to catch up and then work my way up through the field, and it was tough on this track with no real strategy and a close field in terms of pace. I did make my way up to 14th with two laps to go (which given the circumstances I was really happy about)... only to be held up by an Aston that was likely saving fuel, but weaving and warping due to the poor network connections. He tried to park it on the long apex in the last turn, causing me to get a 2 sec penalty (and ruin a 13 race CRB streak... thanks), relegating me to 16th place for the finish.

The PD server approach makes racing in the Manufacturer's Series pointless in the US... Brazil guys all get 5 green bars while the rest have 1 or 2 bars and are warping so badly that you can't race each other. I was happy that I had made zero mistakes all race, had methodically worked my way up to a respectable spot, then had my race ruined anyway again by the network connection and a guy that was racing kind of disrespectfully given the circumstances.

Lost another 900 or so DR in the process and got what I expect and hope are irrelevant FIA points. My season at 40k DR is turning out to be a lost one already, and I don't expect things to be better at Fuji, where I usually struggle. Kudos to @HaydenFan69 who I was hoping to race with but he was able to earn a nice top-10 and I never saw him after the qualifying out lap.

Going to hopefully have my first go at an FIA race this evening. Had to start my CA account from scratch, as I don't fancy getting up at 3am or something stupid to race the Australian slots for my main account.
Watched the sportsmanship videos, signed on with BMW and jumped in a lobby not having any idea what the strategy was or how long tires would last. The room host started the Q and race shortly after I joined, so I guess I was working it out on the fly. About 4 laps in I realised I was about 2 laps short on fuel, so started austerity measures. Made it to the end OK, with about 14/18 laps in the 1'31.xxx range. That will probably hold up OK in the noob DR/E room I will be in, but I'd like to get this account to DR/B like my AU one. No idea where I'd sit in that crowd.
I got into the 21:40 slot in the Americas, and as expected it was all DR D and E, and all SR/B. I figured my biggest battle would be the driving standards, then see where I landed (assumed there would be a few good racers on new accounts, like me).
Tried to get clean air for my first Q lap, and left about 1/3rd of the main straight for space, which wasn't enough with people spinning everywhere. Bailed from that lap and tried again only to get run wide at the esses in the first sector. Four wheels on the grass, but missed the wall on the left side. Still got 5th out of 19 with a 1:34. Started the race and despite the rolling start stagger, I had to delay my turn in to T1 to allow a McLaren shaped missile to go by on the inside. By the end of lap 2 I was in third thanks to others mistakes, right behind a VW. He was a bit slower than me, but any pass I made was going to be from a ways back thanks to him constantly getting a better run onto the straights. That allowed a guy in WRX to catch and pass us (he was quick, so I assume got screwed worse than me in qualifying). The VW started making mistakes, so I got by him and put my head down. Pu in a bunch of laps in the low 1:31s while short shifting to save fuel. Ran out as I went past pit entry on the last lap for a solid third. Only 11 points due to the room I was in. Hoping I can get myself to at least C/S by next week for a fuller field of faster folks - this one only had 12 left at the end, and only 5 finished all 18 laps.

When I read PD was going to do an update I was not expecting them to either fix the penalty system or do BoP updates. I was expecting they would resolve their server issues…

We all know they didn’t or failed miserably.

There was not one youtuber yesterday that did not have issues with lag/disconnects, and most people here had the same experience. With either lag or disconnects

I’m no exception.

Slot 1: disconnected

Slot 2: may I point you to the number of wins in brackets with the asterisk on my kudosprime profile… where it says three wins?

upload_2021-4-29_14-5-28.png

One of those wins is from last season’s Mount Panorama were ALL 19 drivers except ‘lill ol’ me was disconnected after qualifying. I was to afraid to lose DR so I treated that race as a practice run for the real deal. But… I did not get the points for that race. It disappeared from existence leaving behind only a shadowy satirized “3” forever in brackets.

So… (think you can tell were this is going) when I enter session matching mode and count TWENTY happy players and see THIRTEEN drop of before qualifying gets underway I’m having a déjà vu about what’s going to transpire…

Somehow, though, we get into the race and I get to start P3. Perhaps because it was a half limped race I managed to get a win out of it, but did not expect it to count (another bracketeer). It was a good race with some clean and bad (not dirty) driving In which the clean parts helped me out ‘cause drivers backed out in areas where they could have gone for punts or hasty overtakes and some bad driving from others helped me out for once.

Lo and behold I did get my 66 points and for a moment I was contemplating going again, as I found I was faster than 95% of my fellow B peers on this wonderful new source of information called gtblade.com, and test that speed in a race proper. But due to the connection issues (and taking the easy route) decided against it.

I really hope they will look at their server situation. Having 5-10% disconnects per race on average should not be considered acceptable.

See you in the next round (for me that’s round 5).

Cheers,

Seth

Dis a Custom Race at Fuji. Nice to know I pit end of Lap 10 with 9.8laps in the tank. Switch from RS to RM, don't add fuel and exit pits with 8.8 laps of fuel left. Sweet!:dopey::rolleyes:
Fuel saved for the next 6 laps. Had 3.4 laps start of Lap 18. Put the hammer down end of Lap 19 thru lap 20. Finished with .5laps and only 1 second slower than my FL on RS.

If I can get T1 right and limit wheelspin after the 130R, I'd be in the Top 10.

Oceania Slot 1. Door number 3 in a B/S race. Qualified P1 and finished P2. 101 points.

I was hoping to do ok at the Lake, as I like this track and generally have a good time there. I somehow managed a 1:29.6xx and stuck the Rexy on pole. This does not happen much, only 2 poles in 341 FIA races :irked: The McLaren with door #1 was on my tail during qualifying and I accidentally blocked his hot lap as I was trying to get out his way after my pole lap. So, we have the McLaren in p2 and a Corvette in p3. Off to a good start but Corvette pushed past momentarily on lap 2 but I recovered and passed him. The McLaren eventually overtook me on lap 6 and I was quite happy to let him have the win after I messed up his qualifying lap. I tried to stay with him but he was just the better driver on the day, eventually the gap got to 3 seconds by race's end. I was just happy to have a (mostly) mistake-free race with a podium finish and most points so far under current system. My DR was also boosted to an all-time high with 1333 points. :) Looking forward to next round.

@Raptor013 was in the same race but got caught up in the traffic. Good to see you on-track dude.

View attachment 1007489 View attachment 1007490 View attachment 1007491 View attachment 1007492 View attachment 1007494

It wasn't the traffic (although it was bad). My race was ruined at Turn 2 when AussieDevil's Viper snapped sideways across the front of my Lancer (Not his fault. He messaged me after apologizing). By the time he came into my view it was already too late to avoid contact and he spun around my car. Game decided it was my fault and slapped me with 3 seconds, which dropped me into the back markers. Who it must be said thought it was a demolition derby and not a circuit race.

My second attempt was much better in Slot 3, Q6, P8 and a great race long battle with a Mustang, WRX, AMG and NSX.

Replay of my second race from Rnd 2.

20210429191432.jpg

20210429191439.jpg
20210429191448.jpg
20210429191455.jpg
20210429191502.jpg
20210429191510.jpg
20210429191516.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
2021 Manu Race 2 - Lago Maggiore West
Slot 1 - DR A+/A SR S lobby
Door #17

PD decided to break out the nerf hammer AFTER the start of the season. FFS, why do I bother testing? While pleased with the penalty update, the Aston nerf cost me about 3 to 4 tenths leaving me overall not happy. The FF cars were scorching and with low tire wear on Hard tires, they were a force to deal with on this track.

On to the race. It's a slipstream race, lose the slip, lose your shot at a podium. Lap one, turn 2, a Jag decided to send it on me, causing me to lose rear grip on the cold hard tires and we lost the slip immediately. Not good. No patience shown by the Jag at all.

After the last 2 races I was pretty fed up with being pushed wide and punted deep. So I said, "F it." You want aggressive Greddy? You got it. After getting bumped back to p10 I put out my elbows and made my way back up front. Finished p6. 191 pts. Don't think I made any friends.

I touched him before he went off the track, so it was a "forced a car off track" penalty.

The game doesn't care that the other car was already going off, it just assigns blame based on who touched it last.
You'd think they'd at least set it up so that if you're outside of them and on the grass you can't get a penalty for "forcing them off the track"...
I had the same happen in a Daily Race a while ago (coincidentally at exactly the same place)

I can see yours being more easy for the penalty system to get wrong though. You tapped his rear bumper and he went flying off. @kungtotte_ was outside of the the other guy as he touched him and he went off. So it's a bit of a reverse position but penalised heavily. Such a mess!

Last edited:
You'd think they'd at least set it up so that if you're outside of them and on the grass you can't get a penalty for "forcing them off the track"...

I can see yours being more easy for the penalty system to get wrong though. You tapped his rear bumper and he went flying off. @kungtotte_ was outside of the the other guy as he touched him and he went off. So it's a bit of a reverse position but penalised heavily. Such a mess!
At least I was banging doors with this guy. The worst one I ever got was being torpedoed from four cars back in T1 on Nürburgring GP and got a 2s for forcing a car off when he even bounced back on track with me stuck in the sand :lol:

Back