2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
Incredible huge lag for the manufacturer today. It seems that to mix both americas + center american together cause much more problems than before.
Now understand what @Famine was saying about it last monthes ago , :indiff::indiff: horrible.

We have the same issues with Oceania/Asia. Before it was just NZ and Aus. But now with Japan and other Asian countries we can get some very horrific lag. Bit me last week - car lag-glitched me into the wall lap 1, and then at the end the same car glitched in front of me, I hit him, he glitched back over and I got a 2 second penalty. The penalty update this week might have helped with this

@vvise @SpecMiata-JSW Any reason why your boy is out here driving like a dirt ball?

He claims I punted him, and that’s why he blocked me. But here what he is calling a punt, I barely touched him, accidentally, because they were braking three cars deep.

And then he blatantly blocks me down the straight.

And all of that, AFTER, he punted me out of 4th, off the track and back to 7th place, earlier in the race?

Last edited:
@vvise @SpecMiata-JSW Any reason why your boy is out here driving like a dirt ball?

He claims I punted him, and that’s why he blocked me. But here what he is calling a punt, I barely touched him, accidentally, because they were braking three cars deep.

And all of that, AFTER, he punted me out of 4th, off the track and back to 7th place, earlier in the race?

jeez, even the replay lag triggers me

Well this one and done was wild. Had to do 2nd slot since we were out to dinner for my mother's birthday. I felt pretty confident since I watched @Tidgney 's video on Le Mans penalties and kind of treated it like iracing (centerline of the car around the white line on most corners). So qualy was decent. Had someone behind me I was hoping would push me but just stayed there. Qualfiied 9th. Then the race. I was pretty alone in the beginning not having any draft. Then I got to the corvette. Then magically @Pigems appeared from something that happened (which watching the vid above now makes sense. I did about a lap and then I realized hmmm maybe if I slow up and get him in my slip we can work together. Sure enough it worked a treat. We were catching these two Brazilians that for whatever reason were battling each other instead of working together like Pigems and I. We caught up to them. The mecca had a horrible exit of the last Ford chicane but somehow decided to block me and almost put me in the grass? So this made my decision that when I caught up to them to work with the Merc and not the Mecca. Last lap all hell broke loose lol. Remembering how much of not a nice person the Mecca was I did a bold move down Tetra Rouge, risking losing the slip of the Merc ahead. Instead I still got a great run, passed the Mecca and pushed the Merc. I then bided my time and waited until Mulsanne Corner to make my move. Got in his slip and then pulled away the last second, knowing it would be hard to pass from Indy through the lap. From 9th the 3rd I was pumped. But I have to give all the credit to Pigems. He helped me out big time working together and bringing me up there, and couldn't have done it without him! So thank you Pigems. You're an ace guy!

The sole purpose of me racing today was to get my SR back to 99 after my Super Formula fiasco. I qualified P15 through not setting a time thanks to the infamously strict track limits. I think I could have had roughly P7 if it weren't for that. But oh well.

Once the race starts, a GT-R in front of me immediately starts struggling with the cold tires and spins out. Thanks to a combination of mistakes like that from others and a couple instances of people just not getting along, I gained a bunch of positions. And more importantly, I was able to keep myself penalty free for the race itself.

full

Immediately after taking this screenshot, my game crashed and my save file became corrupt. Thankfully, all I had to do was restart the game and my file was restored with my race result staying intact. Guess that's one of the benefits of this being an online only game. I still didn't get a chance to save the replay, so this report is another short one.

Last edited:
FIA Manu Series - Circuit de la Sarthe

BMW M6 GT3

One and done for me at the 19:00 slot

Strategy: 7H and avoid penalties (Success)

Door: 18
Qualified: 8th
Finished: 4th for 138 points

I knew that if I wanted to have a chance I would have to do everything to avoid track limit penalties! - Gained 2 positions by the time I reached the Munsane straight. Battled with another M6 for 5th and managed to secure the position. Later in the race someone pitted and I gained another position to 4th to which I held to the end.

Love this type of track because you can get separation pretty early and avoid other drivers. Happy for tonight.

Wasn't expecting much tonight. I'm not strong at LeMans. Anyway, I shoved my M6 around for quals to get a not surprising p17. I swear, sometimes that car feels like a milk crate with wheels. My strategy was simple. Stay on the track, avoid penalty, don't fight, since it likely won't get you anything. Not a terrible race. Started on the RH, ran a few laps, hit the pit for the mandatory tire change to the RMs, got back out, did a couple more laps and realized I DIDN'T have to stop......FML.....Started P17, finished P17, lost 1K DR in a B/S lobby, got a CRB, shut down the PS4 and went to work....There is always next week I guess.

View media item 73787
Race Report: 21:40 Americas. Door 13. C/S Lobby.

Qualifying went pretty well until i came across a Mazda that spun out hard at Indianapolis. Didnt want to risk him un-ghosting while i was trying to overtake him. Guy couldn't go through the S-curves for crap. Ended up qualifying 11th and a few seconds off my usual pace.

Thus begins the lap one carnage..... that I managed to avoid. Lap was an issue and then some, cars were jumping around like a six-year-old on coffee. Someone took the pole-sitter out at the Dunlop chicane. I stay wide and things are pretty good until we approach the 2nd chicane on the Mulsane straight. Another Porsche comes FLYING up, misses the braking point, i see him coming in the rear view, get out the way, he punts the guy in front of me and chaos happens. Battle continues between the pole-sitter who dropped to 8th and the same Porsche going into Mulsane hairpin .(The Porsche was sitting on 5 seconds of penalties by the time he got to the Penalty Zone after Indianapolis). I drop to 13th but end up 9th by the time we get back to the starting line.

Overtook a GT-R in the Dunlop Chicane as he went way wide, he tapped me at Tertre Rouge, I managed to save it and remember him for later and try to avoid an all-out battle.

Here's the view from his in-car, dude is definitely turning into me.

View media item 73789
Ended up battling with a Jaguar and different Mazda for a few laps, leapfrogging on the Mulsane straight. I made a few unforced errors, track limits and going wide at Indianapolis. Just when I thought i ditched them for good, i would make an error.

View media item 73790
I could beat that Jag in the curves but he definitely had the height advantage.

View media item 73788
Finally gapped them when they started fighting with each other on lap 5 and caught up to mister GT-R from earlier and put a sweet move on him at Mulsane hairpin to say goodbye to him for the rest of the race.

View media item 73791
Could have caught 5th if it weren't for a track limits penalty, again with an unforced error. Cruised for the last lap and just maintained my position.

View media item 73785
Finished 6th. Would have preferred a top-five but Top Eight is what I was aiming for. Got my DR up to its highest level yet.

Other side note, it was 100% obvious who had practiced and who hadn't. Could have done better if it weren't for unforced errors. I'm continuing to stick to just one split as long as I get a decent result. I feel the more I push my luck, the worse things go.

View media item 73786

Last edited:

First, thats no punt, thats barely a racing incident. Incidental contact IMO. Nobody lost position, nobody went flying, heck even the elbows weren't out. Chain reaction braking. No harm, no foul.

Clearly unintentional.

Incredible huge lag for the manufacturer today. It seems that to mix both americas + center american together cause much more problems than before.
Now understand what @Famine was saying about it last monthes ago , :indiff::indiff: horrible.

Ridiculous amount of lag in my session. Very distracting and made for some horrid racing at the beginning.

Last edited:
North America slot 3 - A/S lobby, door 2, Q2, P1

3 yellow bars this time, so lag wasn't much of an issue. Did a solo Q lap and lined up 2nd(!) albeit next to a known dirty driver, and down by 1.2 seconds. My plan was to not fight and finish where I started.

All went accordingly, except I started to fade around lap 5 and had a few great, clean battles with 3rd and 4th. Our leader apparently didn't read the rules and much to my surprise didn't run the hard tires and what was a 8 second win turned into 13th for him.

In the meantime, yours truly comes home with the victory by a scant 0.028 seconds for a cool 158 points, and 1500 DR.

Really enjoyed this one, nice views, too.

63rd win, 6th FIA win.

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20210512222816.jpg

20210512225502.jpg

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20210512222703a.jpg

20210512225455.jpg

20210512225441.jpg

North America slot 3 - A/S lobby, door 2, Q2, P1

3 yellow bars this time, so lag wasn't much of an issue. Did a solo Q lap and lined up 2nd(!) albeit next to a known dirty driver, and down by 1.2 seconds. My plan was to not fight and finish where I started.

All went accordingly, except I started to fade around lap 5 and had a few great, clean battles with 3rd and 4th. Our leader apparently didn't read the rules and much to my surprise didn't run the hard tires and what was a 8 second win turned into 13th for him.

In the meantime, yours truly comes home with the victory by a scant 0.028 seconds for a cool 158 points, and 1500 DR.

Really enjoyed this one, nice views, too.

63rd win, 6th FIA win.

View attachment 1010575

View attachment 1010576

View attachment 1010577

View attachment 1010578

View attachment 1010579

Those photos make it look proper intense! Good show on the dead-heat to the finish line!

Last edited:

He's usually a cool dude I would never expect him to punt anyone. I think everyone's blood is boiling now and the server lag is brutal. He's from the SA region so the disconnect between what he saw and what you saw in the race is huge atm.

Hope there's no bad blood.

I've actually been away from GTS because all the races became like this and it just isn't fun.

A tale of two races.

I had good pace in qualifying and several good practice races so I knew I could make something happen. I qualified solo for both my races because of the lag issues and I didn't trust anyone else. First race I did a 3:55.7 for 7th place. But the start was atrocious...

Spun on my own despite having the TC on, then while trying to recover in the middle of a big pack I got bumped from behind which bumped me into the car ahead and we both went off, and I got the penalty. After serving I was dead last briefly, but I was clean the entire rest of the race and was able to make my way back up, aided by some people taking the wrong strategy. Eventually came home 10th, but it was a dismal result.

Second race I set a 3:55.5 in qualifying and was 4th on the grid behind a trio of Corvettes. Got a good start but was eventually caught by 5th. Traded off 4th and 5th over the race, with everyone getting minor penalties here and there including myself, so there was a lot of give and take.

Started the final lap in 4th, eventually being briefly passed by 5th before I got lucky with penalties ahead and finally caught 3rd place, giving him a good fight into the Porsche Curves. I then ended up 2nd because one of the two cars ahead never pitted for Hard tires.

3rd time was the charm for me.

Slot 2: Qualified 14th after doing a solo lap, and finished 10th. Points weren't good enough so again I went.

Slot 3: Qualified 14th again after getting 2s of penalties because I forgot how to drive, but somehow managed to not start any worse than the previous slot. DNF'd after missing my braking point and punting the car in front of me into the 2nd chicane like an idiot, ruining both of our races, then eventually getting disqualified for leaving the car on auto drive too long while I went to do something else since I threw my race away.

Slot 4: Decided I might as well try to slipstream in qualifying since it wasn't like I was gonna start much worse. Unfortunately I was behind literally the worst cars to draft - an NSX and an M6, with the NSX leading. There was originally a Mercedes leading them, which is why I thought it would be a good pack to slot into, but the Merc drove away from them without much effort. They were so slow that I was gaining on the BMW pushing the NSX like neither of them had another car helping them. I even drove around the BMW while they were in the middle of pushing the NSX, then drove around the NSX on the exit of the 2nd Hunaudieres chicane, then picked up the draft of the Merc that was just ahead of them before even getting to Mulsanne corner, while leaving the NSX and BMW in the dust. It was like they were running the leanest fuel mixture available. I know the NSX isn't a "power" car, but it should've at least been able to hand on to my slipstream immediately after I passed it. I try to not pass people in qualifying (and usually don't bother with slipstream games anyway), but they were so off pace I doubt it made a difference. Somehow, in spite of losing what felt like a lot of time, I qualified 7th, but this was no doubt helped by being placed in a race with lower average DR than my previous 2 races, on account of losing a ton of DR from my previous disqualification.

Anyway, in the race itself, I spent the majority of it where I started, after briefly falling to 8th on the opening lap after almost running off at Indianapolis. Most of the race I was by myself, a few seconds ahead of 8th, and a few behind 4th-6th. Eventually, someone ahead spun, which moved me up to 6th, while an F1 and a Porsche started fighting and picked up several corner cut penalties, gradually drawing me closer to them. I picked off the F1 first as it got more penalties, then got the Porsche after it almost spun after running too wide out of Arnage and almost taking me out. I had to actually get on the brakes to avoid an accident, which allowed the F1 to close back in, but they fought through the Porsche curves and allowed me to break the slipstream. I unfortunately picked up a 0.5s penalty using a bit too much curb at the first Hunaudieres chicane, but fortunately the F1 had a penalty as well, which kept them out of my slipstream after we both served our penalties at the 2nd zone. This meant I finished 4th for 232 points, which is one position and one point better than last week for my best score of the season so far.

Last edited:
Had a great race tonight. P4 finish for 280pts. Got home from work 20 minutes before the 3rd slot. Had 2-3 laps warmup before the race. 320-point lobby, I think it was 3rd split. Took it real easy on my solo qualy lap to avoid penalties and started P9. Dropped to P10 on lap 1 after braking too late. Bump drafted for a bit and ended up catching some people who got penalties. I was basically surrounded by guys who were teammates with each other and several of them were in handling cars so it was an interesting dynamic VS my Corvette. Ultimately I think it worked out well for me because I made some good choices and I also got pretty lucky that most people wanted to work together to catch the cars ahead. Bump drafted when I needed to and made passes when the guys behind seemed like they were getting impatient. Most importantly I just took it easy and stayed penalty free. Almost got punted off on the final lap but held it together and kept the position. Intense race for me. I love it when I’m one and done.

Last edited:
You are a clean racer, my man! As shown in the photo, we stayed side by side for a few tricky corners, normally I'd get bumped into no where but you kept your car off mine! Unfortunate about your penalties. I'm so happy with 3rd, the guy in 4th was bump drafting us right away from you after your penalties, he should have got 3rd but had an off on the last lap. Very good race. Nice job to those in 1st and 2nd too, we could not catch them even with the bump drafting, those hards had very little grip
Hey, didn’t realise you were on here, would of tagged you. Well done on the result. No worries, was tense wide by side briefly. I did feel a little guilty as i probably should’ve let you go rather than go for the move. Couldn’t decide in time and suddenly ended up next to you. I paid the price anyway :lol: No doubt see you in next weeks race.

I had another podium in the MS with a second place finish at Le Mans. I, however, had scored fewer points in this round. Therefore, I disowned my results of this race. I don't plan to enter this Saturday's Nations Cup race either. Instead, I'm looking forward towards both round 5 races and round 2 of the 2021 Toyota GR GT Cup next week.

Had one attempt at Le Mans last night, after a bit of a rushed evening with loads going on. Managed to get on in time *just* for the 4th slot, and got two practice laps in. Having had plenty of practice laps over the past few nights I was confident I could do some decent laps times (4:01 and 3:59 in my two warm ups).

And then qualifying happened. Such a complete shambles! I don't know why but I keep getting stuck in the pits, revving the engine but not being released onto the track, watching half the field come rolling past. When I eventually did get out onto the track, I was in 12th and closely following a Supra - look at the finishing results and you'll see why I should have stuck with him - so I decided to fall back a bit and get some clear space. The guys behind me didn't really help, and just swamped me over the course of the lap, and when I finally found some free space a couple of them decided to bin it and rejoin ahead and slow me down further. So I entered my flying lap with 1:25 remaining in the session - only one chance, so make it count! Clearly, the pack who I was too closely following weren't very quick here - I had to slow coming out of the chicanes to cross the line for an AMG who got a bit loose, then had to back off in the chicane under the Dunlop bridge for a Porsche who was off line, then managed to follow the same Porsche off the track into the dirt before Tertre Rouge, and from there my lap time was completely useless. I kept the rest of the lap clean, but annoyingly had an M6 trying to race me through the final sector where I was trying to back off a little because of the slow cars in front I couldn't find a clean way past, and I ended up with a fairly terrible 4:08:XXX, and Q13. Four cars in the field must have had a shocker, because none of them set Q times (including door #1, #2, and #6).

So, race time. Door #16, Q13, and knowing I'm definitely quicker than the three or four cars immediately in front of me. Strategy is RH for 7 laps, sprint to the finish. Let's do this!

Coming through the Dunlop Chicane the AMG in front of me is slow so I have to take avoiding action - 0.5s penalty. Great start! But I kept it clean and managed to gain two spots, so after my penalty I'm back into 13th. End of lap 2 and a bunch of the guys in front of me come in for a pit stop (I was being held up by these guys on mediums?!) and I'm up to 9th and about 9s behind the guy in 8th. Within a lap that's down to less than 6s and I'm pulling a gap from the guy behind (Mr Door #1). On a charge, I'm up to under 2s behind him by lap 6, and a bunch of pit stops happen (presumably the guys who just want to run the RH for a lap) which promotes me up to 5th, and I'm rapidly gaining on P4. Running down the Mulsanne Straight on the final lap I'm tucked in behind the Porsche in P4 and have to back out just before the first chicane to avoid clashing in the braking zone, and in doing so I give away what turns out to be my only chance in the race to take 3rd place! The Aston in front of him is clearly struggling on his tyres and bins it at Mulsanne and I sweep by to take 4th, where I remained for the rest of the lap, finishing only 1.6s behind 3rd place!

20210512_215007.jpg

20210512_215050.jpg

The Aston I passed clearly didn't read the race conditions, and ran the whole thing on a set of RMs, so ended up with a 1 min penalty and P15.

And I think I'm the only car in the field who didn't pit, because I ended up 11s behind the leader, despite being 32s behind at one stage. Need to check the replay on that one. But the no-stop was by far the better strategy for me. (EDIT: at least one other car behind me didn't stop, a Hyundai that started P18 and finished P6).

On to the next.

Last edited:
I almost forgot, I had the most inept punt attempt in my first run last night.

A tip for whoever it was, if you want to punt me into the second chicane on the straight, don't try and barge me off the track all the way down the straight because a) I'm in a Lexus, you ain't moving it and b) I know what's coming... A quick move off the racing line just before the braking zone and off he sailed into the sandbox. :dunce:

Yeah I think I nudged him slightly with the cold tyres and I wasn’t sure if he nudged the car in front as a result or ran wide. I backed well out of it and flashed the hazards to let him know it was accidental. A slight blemish on a cracking race, but I think our racing afterwards made amends for it. Before I knew it, I looked up to see how far into the race we were and it was L5, so yeah I was fully immersed in it.
We were gaining on P1 for the first few laps actually, but then the pace seemed to even out. You both got corner cutting penalties as well later on? I didn’t save the race to view it from your angle, but on my replay it looked like a very harsh penalty!
It did feel a bit harsh to me compared to some of the penalties I had there during my races and practices. It's one of those where you're following a car that makes a mistake and you follow them so closely you just can't avoid doing the same thing.

Shared the track with @stpatty and @joetoml1n in slot 3&4, I screwed up my Q laps in both. Racing at the back has always been awful for me as I'm usually too kind for the desperate racing you find there... Finished 15th in both races.

In the 5th slot I eventually put in a decent Q to make me start 4th. I took a miraculous (see why below) 2nd place (191 pts) in the end, fighting for my life in the Ford GT that has amazing top end but is still too slippery for me (even more on worn tires), as I'm still getting used to it.

One thing I learned the hard way today: don't pretend you can learn a track like this one in an hour or two before racing on it. I had never set foot at Le Mans before and I know why, those track limits that everyone was talking about are even worse than I expected.

Good Luck to those racing in Americas, time to get some rest for me (my right ankle is crying haha).
Good to see you finally got a result out of it.

I ran the 20:40 slot yesterday and wasn't expecting much, I have a car that's considered top at Le Mans but couldn't really capitalise on it.
I had one qualify run and started p8 with door 2.

A relative un-eventful race accept for one guy in a RSR.
I realize he has no way of passing me on any straight when I am in the GT, but I still got pretty annoyed when he just stuffed it up the inside in Indianapolis to the point of pushing me out of track. I didn't get any track limit pens but fishtailed because I was off track.

It kind of set my feelings about the guy.
Well, anyway on lap 7 I pass him between the two chicanes on the Mulsane straight.
Again he barges up the inside, makes contact and then he makes his one move on the straight after. Then I try to pass, he dives in front. Then coming down to the braking zone He moves again.

And then comes the part I am somewhat in regret about. I tapped him in the brake zone.
He went off, I got a 1 second penalty.
I felt he attained the spot illegal so I was ok doing it at the time, but he was clearly not in agreement in post chat. He called me a pig and a noob.
Here is the video, you judge...

Anyway, he lost one position and came in 4th instead of 3.

If you are here on GTP I would love to have a discussion about this, your move and mine.
PS_App_20210512_073808.jpeg

Here is the video, you judge...
View attachment 1010632
My call is that he over-braked the corner and there was little you could do. He was blocking overly enthusiastically on the straight knowing you were in a much quicker car - but you could have potentially just bump drafted him to see what happened? Same happened to me on lap 1 with a Merc AMG, I also got a 1.0s penalty, rather unfairly because he didn't lose any positions or go off track or anything.

My call is that he over-braked the corner and there was little you could do. He was blocking overly enthusiastically on the straight knowing you were in a much quicker car - but you could have potentially just bump drafted him to see what happened? Same happened to me on lap 1 with a Merc AMG, I also got a 1.0s penalty, rather unfairly because he didn't lose any positions or go off track or anything.
Sure, I could have bump drafted him, did that to a GT-R earlier, he swerves away and flashed me violently. And I wasn't in the mood for helping this guy... Also, last lap.

But I am once again in a situation where I feel a little tainted after the race.
Did I think he deserved it? Yes. Was it worth it for a measly few points? No

Last edited:
Sure, I co6have bump drafted him, did that to a GT-R earlier, he swerves away and flashed me violently. And I wasn't in the mood for helping this guy... Also, last lap.

But I am once again in a situation where I feel a little tainted after the race.
Did I think he deserved it? Yes. Was it worth it for a measly few points? No
Whether his pass up the inside was fair or not, and whether what you did was right or wrong, there's nothing more annoying than someone purposely blocking on a straight like that. I have no problem watching him being 'eased off' at the next corner :lol:

Last edited:
Back