2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
FIA Nations Cup Rd 4 at Suzuka

Went with the GTR, based on @Mistah_MCA recommendation... I have hardly ever raced it, so was a bit of an adjustment. Ran only a little less than an hour of practice just before the first slot, then jumped in.

Qualified 11th, with #9 on the door... just ahead of a famous and recent 'Idiot of the Week" who most know here. Hmm... strategy was going to be key.

Decided on a 7S/8M/1H strategy, hoping to get ahead of trouble and stay there. Just one problem... the main source of trouble was just behind me on the grid.

So I chose to let him through without a fight, hoping to get past the carnage he'd cause ahead. This plan worked to perfection more or less. He earned a 2 sec penalty less than a lap after I let him past, and had taken another poor racer out, and before it was settled I was up to 6th or 7th place.

Just kept my nose as clean as I could, the whole race, not overdriving or engaging in any sort of trouble. Ran most of the last half in 3rd place, unsure of how many had already fitted their Hard tires... I ended up coming out in 8th place as the last lap started, with my fresh set of required Hards, and defended the position without incident to finish there. Happy with that... best FIA points so far in this short season, in a car I never race, and a race I didn't practice much, on a grid with some questionable (to be polite) drivers.

Got about 400 DR, notched those FIA points, CRB... all told, a decent one-and-done (and happy with it).

Good luck, :gtpflag:.

upload_2021-5-15_19-36-50.png

CSA Slot 3, running the GT-R, with just a few laps practice before jumping in. Door #16 on a 199-point lobby.

Was on a very good lap in qualifying, when one of the guys ahead of me goes off into 130R. He comes back on the track, making me and the guy ahead take evasive action. Guy ahead completely misses the Casio chicane. I managed to save it but taking a compromised line, missing the apex and losing at least half a sec. To make things worse, the same guy who originally went off into 130R goes back out of the pits without enough time to make it round, and impedes me into T1 and the esses, completely ruining my second lap as well. :banghead: Qualified P14...

Started on mediums, had a cautious start and did a bit of fuel saving behind slower guys until hard-compound runners pitted. Later managed to overtake someone on the outside into 130R, actually completing the move into the chicane. Pitted at the end of lap 7, switching to hards, and again at the end of lap 8, switching to softs and refueling to go to the end.

While on fresh soft tyres, pace was pretty solid, was very close to getting into the 58s, and managed to undercut a Brazilian who pitted a lap later. From there, we both remained really close until the end, trying to see if we could gain positions from drivers yet to pit.

With two laps to go, unfortunately the front tyre wear caught me up and I went slightly wide into 130R, gifting the position back to the Brazilian just behind me. Minor but silly mistake. :ouch:

After everyone completed their stops, I ended up in P9. Obviously, probably could have been P8 without the mistake, but would have still had to keep him behind with older tyres.

Not a great race nor a great result, but not too bad considering where I started. At least, I managed to move up 5 places. Points weren't good, but will keep it as a banker result (hopefully).

PS_App_20210515_115019.jpeg

Like I said earlier, I'm not going to talk about Slot 1. What happens in Slot 1 stays in Slot 1.

Slot 2 on the other hand... For the first time in a long time I can say that I'm satisfied with my performance in an FIA race. Especially considering that I had to take almost the entire past week off from racing due to work stuff.

I tried a few different cars this morning and was a bit surprised that not only was I fastest in the GT-R but I actually felt comfortable in it on this track. I remember not liking it all that much the last time I tried it, way back when. But hey, maybe that means I'm actually improving as a driver a little bit.

I qualy'd ok in P10. Not a great lap but not a horrible one, either. I decide to start on the RM and plan on a 7M/1H/8S strategy. I practiced starting the race on cold tires a few times today but still managed to go wide on T1. Luckily, so did the guy ahead of me and I get back on track sooner than him so there ends up not being any net loss in position. Other than that, the first stint goes fairly well. There's people doing weird strats - 2 or 3 laps on the hards - so I'm not entirely sure if my back to back pits in the middle of the race is going to put me in traffic or not. I keep it clean on the RH lap and just make it out in front of a pack slower cars when I get on the softs.

I don't have a lot to say other than that I was mostly happy with my pace and racecraft - I wasn't necessarily fast for the lobby but I wasn't slow, either and I didn't kill myself with silly mistakes. The only other big mistake I made was losing the tail coming out of the hairpin the final lap. That cost me P6 but I'm pretty okay with that. P7 it is.

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20210515171152.jpg

Last edited:
Barely anyone showed up for this race in North America. First slot I was immediately thrown into Top Split as car #20, along with @Winnie847 . On the bright side, I didn't even need a Top 10 to score 200 points, but unfortunately I didn't even have enough pace to finish 11th, which would've put me over the mark. I finished 14th after starting 16th for 162 points , so I went again for Slot 2 and was again in Top Split as car #20, joined again by @Winnie847, as well as @kevinddr and @The359. I set a similar time to Slot 1, but started 1 spot worse in 17th. I managed to finish 1 spot better in 13th for 171, which becomes my new 2nd best (and 2nd worst) score by 4 points. I'm done for the night since the points on offer will only decrease.

I'm really kicking myself for giving up the 199 points I had after Slot 1 at Spa a couple weeks ago to try to get more points in later slots.

Last edited:
View media item 73866
Race Report. 1920 Race, C/S Lobby. Door 9.

I would say I was in my own head after yesterday's practice. Definitely lacking any confidence and earlier practices today, I kept making small errors. Couldn't shake it. Also moved my monitors around to try and get a more straight on approach but that was a mistake. Qualifying? Was just aiming for a solid lap, stay on the track, just get a time. Went well until I came to slower traffic at 130R, I went a little wide and the track gremlin grabbed my right rear tire and .... crap. Remarkably I qualified 13th despite spinning out.

Went for a 1H/8M/7S strategy and it was working... kinda. Opening lap, P12 & P11 Completely misjudged the first corner and went off into the sand. I get through my lap very cautiously and get the tire change. Came out in 15th and still felt tentative on the mediums. Lots of clear air in front of me, still didn't have the pace I had yesterday. Come in at the end of 9 to switch to softs and I'm feeling like I can get through this OKAY.

View media item 73864
Letting a much faster car pass me at the hairpin. Oddly one of the cars that got a tire penalty.

I come out of the pits and there's two back markers there and I COULD pull out in front of them but decide it would be a poor move and they'll be pitting on the next lap or so anyways, better to work my way around. One of the cars head off at the end of 10, i plan set up an overtake of the back marker either at T1 or Dunlop.

View media item 73867
And then?

Then a racing incident happens.

I'm flying down the front stretch and a car comes out of the pits. She waits to let the car I was behind go past, didn't see me coming, and squeezed me right off the track, just as I got to the braking zone, as I try to stay left. I had three choices: 1) Plow right into them. Never a good choice. 2) Brake hard and risk losing all control. Marginal Choice. 3) Stay left, hope they see me and try to go through the turn side by side. That worked about as well as finding a leprechaun's pot of gold. Looking back on it, I should have braked hard as hell to avoid getting pushed off the track.

Couldn't pull right back on the track immediately because there was traffic. I lose 15 seconds, and meh. I'm in 14th and all the pit stops are over. I refuse to quit a race but I stopped pushing. Decided to just finish out the race, annoyed AF and hope for some tire penalties. Got within 5 seconds of P13. Stayed in 14th, Tire Penalties pushed me up to 12th. Ce La Vie.

View media item 73865
A little demoralized. No matter what tires I was on, it felt like i was driving on Ice. Off to Wednesday.

First slot. First time being in a 200 point lobby, with the victor getting 203. Qualified P14. The race wasn't bad. Finished P8 for 144 points. I wanted to get at least 7th for my usual target of 150+, so I decided to treat this as a warm-up race and went again.

Second slot. Qualified P5 without slip. Didn't really expect to start that high up, so things looked really good. I decided to go 7S/8M/1H, so I could avoid being in traffic as much as possible. Right at the start, another GT-R loses control before the esses, handing me P4 and a Supra goes wide into the sand on the final turn and spins out, and I'm already 3rd going into lap 2. There are two RX-V's in front of me and I start shortshfting while in their slip. I manage to get around one at the start of lap 3, giving me 2nd.

Had no one trailing me for the rest of the stint. But to my surprise, the RX-V in 1st spins out on T1 on lap 7, putting me in the lead. I decided to pit on the following lap and switched to the Mediums and took in a tiny bit of fuel. I come out of the pits in 2nd with the lead now belonging to the Supra that spun out earlier. Lap 10, I'm in first again after the Supra pits.

On my Medium stint, I did have some pressure from behind as one of the RX-V drivers starts to gain on me. But they pit on lap 12, giving me room to breathe. I finally come in on lap 15 for the Hards. Once I come out, I'm in 2nd and immediately I have a Porsche on Softs breathing down my neck. They manage to overtake me going into Spoon. I bring it home for 3rd place, with the RX-V that was chasing me down on my Medium stint earlier taking the victory.

I felt like a win was definitely there but I will not complain about a podium, especially after what I went through last weekend. Also got my DR up to a record high of 41K. :)

full

Last edited:
Back to GT car mediocrity. Started towards the back, and finished towards the back.

Most went with the hard to mediums approach at the start, whereas I went hard to softs. Led to a few impatient drivers later in the race as they caught up. Maybe a top 5 was viable (A+ driver in room started right ahead of me and finish 5th), but pushed wide into the First Corner, which allowed the onslaught of soft tired cars to freight train me on dirty mediums. Stuck with my one and done as I never expected much out of this race.

Thinking forwards; I think Sardegna C with the Ferrari will be pretty good.

Last edited:
Nations slot 1 - A/S lobby, 157 points, door 5, Q17, P9

Wasn't really feeling it and lined up a sorry 17th place in the GT-R. Ran the 1H, 8M with fuel, 7S and it did work pretty well as I managed to gain 8 positions by the end. Got 108 points that don't count (yet) and a meager 200 DR ~34.1K DR.

The last lap wasn't without controversy, however. I managed to spin out a fellow Canadian who had been struggling for the last lap at the very last corner of the race! Contact certainly wasn't intentional, I really felt I could have been given a little more room. Or I could have just jammed on the binders and lost 10th. I dunno. :confused: Racing incident, perhaps.

Could probably do a little better if I ran again, but think I'll leave it at that.

Here's a few views of the incident. Hopefully I've uploaded this correctly :) :

Wasn't really feeling it and lined up a sorry 17th place in the GT-R. Ran the 1H, 8M with fuel, 7S and it did work pretty well as I managed to gain 8 positions by the end. Got 108 points that don't count (yet) and a meager 200 DR ~34.1K DR.

The last lap wasn't without controversy, however. I managed to spin out a fellow Canadian who had been struggling for the last lap at the very last corner of the race! Contact certainly wasn't intentional, I really felt I could have been given a little more room. Or I could have just jammed on the binders and lost 10th. I dunno. :confused: Racing incident, perhaps.

Could probably do a little better if I ran again, but think I'll leave it at that.

Not your fault at all. He was a mess. Including when he came down on you in last turn.

Looks like he was pushing to try and catch p7 and got very messy. Once he ran wide at 130r he was always in trouble with dirty tyres. Contact not your fault, he should have eased off out of Casio.

Out of interest, what happens if you use pit lane to finish?

Out of interest, what happens if you use pit lane to finish?

He entered the pits in 11th and finished 11th. No other cars had passed him before he hit the start/finish line which isn't very far into pit lane. I would imagine if the line was further down pit road he would have lost some positions as he maintained the pit lane speed limit and cars passed him on-track.

Barely anyone showed up for this race in North America. First slot I was immediately thrown into Top Split as car #20, along with @Winnie847 . On the bright side, I didn't even need a Top 10 to score 200 points, but unfortunately I didn't even have enough pace to finish 11th, which would've put me over the mark. I finished 14th after starting 16th for 162 points , so I went again for Slot 2 and was again in Top Split as car #20, joined again by @Winnie847, as well as @kevinddr and @The359. I set a similar time to Slot 1, but started 1 spot worse in 17th. I managed to finish 1 spot better in 13th for 171, which becomes my new 2nd best (and 2nd worst) score by 4 points. I'm done for the night since the points on offer will only decrease.

I'm really kicking myself for giving up the 199 points I had after Slot 1 at Spa a couple weeks ago to try to get more points in later slots.
I might've lied. I ended up doing the last 2 slots as well after skipping Slot 3.
Slot 4: Only 1 real alien left this late in the evening. Started 12th, finished 14th after looking at a potential 10th right before starting the final lap, before my worthless internet dropped to 1 bar right as I was sandwiched between 2 cars headed into the chicane before starting the last lap. Naturally, that made me lag, and I got punted as a result.

Slot 5: For the first time all evening, I set a qualifying time under 1:58, with a 1:57.79. I'd been able to do that in practice races but couldn't replicate it when it mattered (seems to be a theme). With no more aliens left, it was actually good enough for P2 on the grid. Unfortunately my habit of 2nd-guessing myself took me out of contention for a potential win. I saw the polesitter switch to Mediums in qualifying, but over-thought it and figured he was trying to psyche us out, because why would the polesitter start on Mediums? Well, he did start on Mediums, and I started on Softs. Being held up on the opening lap allowed the 3rd-place Porsche to drive around the outside of me at the hairpin, but of course he had no top end to deal with the GT-R in the lead on Mediums, so we were now both stuck behind the polesitting GT-R that was on Mediums while we were on Softs. I couldn't get around the Porsche because it could keep ahead of me in the corners, while on the straights it had the slipstream of the leader, so I couldn't get by there either. We were only "released" because the leader got a corner-cutting penalty. After we got by the polesitter when he served his penalty on the back straight, I immediately took care of the Porsche on the following start/finish straight to take the lead. Sadly, the damage had been done and we were sitting ducks to those who started behind us on Mediums once we swapped compounds on the first pit stop. I had to take more fuel than the Porsche so I lost the spot to him again, then @The359, one of those who started on Mediums, eventually caught me now that he was on the Softs. I tried to re-pass the Porsche again on the outside of the flat-out curve between the hairpin and Spoon, but had to lift, and that allowed the polesitter to take both of us on the back straight on the penultimate lap, while the Porsche actually ran out of fuel in the same place. @The359 and the rest of us all pitted on the last lap for Hards, then someone who'd done their Hard stint in the middle of the race jumped all of us in the pits and took the win, @The359 in 2nd, the polesitter in 3rd, and me in 4th for 232 points. I'm happy with the points result, but feel like I could've had a better shot at the win had I not 2nd-guessed myself and started on Mediums, epsecially since I finished less than 3s off the winner. Either way, I'm glad I don't have that wasted Gr.1 round dragging my score down anymore.

Edit: I also just realized that in both FIA races this week, I finished 4th and scored 232 points.

Last edited:
He entered the pits in 11th and finished 11th. No other cars had passed him before he hit the start/finish line which isn't very far into pit lane. I would imagine if the line was further down pit road he would have lost some positions as he maintained the pit lane speed limit and cars passed him on-track.

I think he just got lucky that there was enough of a gap to the guys behind. The game stops updating your position on the track while you're in the pit lane, meaning that even if your particular pit crew was located somewhere beyond the finish line, the game wouldn't register you finishing before you actually left the pits. This is why the position chart sometimes shows you overtaking a bunch of guys who are currently pitting but then they suddenly jump up and ahead of you if they come out again before you go past the pit lane exit. He probably selected not to change tyres or refuel and therefore came out again very quickly.

Last edited:

Its a racing incident, its inadvertent. When you two first rubbed fenders, he should have realized you were there and to not keep going right.

From where I sit, you tried to give him room. He was going left out of the chicane. You stayed right and gave him room. Then he came over without checking the radar or looking or whatever. I'd say you tried to avoid contact. Its that or you go off track yourself and lose your own position.

This one isn't on you. Its racing. Stuff happens.

Unfortunately I didn't get any practice in on Friday or make the lobby with you guys as I had to go get my covid vaccine and it took over 2 hours to get through the center but happy now 1st dose is out of the way. Would have liked to have made the lobby but maybe next time.

I ran just one race and stuck with my Potrsche as no time to practice in any other cars. Qualified 13th, and ran tyres 2H/8M/6S, lost a few places on 1st lap avoiding the divebombers from behind would have ran just 1lap on hards but had a clear track after a few guys turning wide on lap 1 and I had a clear track ahead.

Very steady race and running soft tyres last stint when others were on mediums paid off with 2 places picked up and only one guy not using all 3 tyre types which list him 2nd but he wouldn't have been there if he had stopped. Finished 9th so happy with race except for last lap mistake when 17st ahead of next guy and I lost it and took ages to get it pointing the right direction, just hung on and lucky the guy didn't collect me at the last corner when he tried an impossible move.

I wasn't initially going to run yesterday, I'm focusing more on Manufacturer's as there wasn't a lot for me in the Nation's schedule. But I do love a bit of Suzuka!

Slot 1 was hoping to capitalise if anyone ahead hadn't checked the tyre regs but got disconnected at matching, so did the washing up while I watched @Tidgney stream instead.

Slot 2, door number 5. First hot lap in qualifying was aborted after someone unghosted at the end of the Dunlop curve immediately in front of a Porsche I was following round, we both took evasive action and unfortunately in the process I tagged him into the sand, second hot lap was much better and I qualified 2nd.

went 7S/8M/1H for the race, first corner got my braking wrong and ran wide (at the moment it seems messing up the first corner is just 'my thing') came back into a hot mess of cars battling, all of whom either took each other out or messed up so I was 4th at the end of lap 1. not much else happened until pit stop #1, had pulled enough of a gap to come out still 4th, 3rd place also pitted on lap 7 and they went on to the hards, so I caught them in the esses and passed on Dunlop when they ran a little wide. By lap 10 i had about 8 seconds to 4th place when I had a brain freeze and blipped the accelerator through the esses and went into the gravel, which cost me about 5 seconds and seemingly my rhythm for the next two or three laps as I ran wide at Spoon a couple of times so 4th caught and passed me. Thanks to pit stops I was 2nd until I pitted on lap 15 for my ice-skating lap to finish. Came out 5th but 6th was about 1.5 seconds behind and was able to pass me cleanly under braking into Casio Triangle.

Not bad, without my mistake on lap 10 there was definitely a podium to be had, but at least it was all my own fault.

Here's my first lap, the driver who also goes wide on turn one in the Z4 certainly lived up to his user name, he came dead last!

Shouldn't do that, not healthy kicking yourself.

When I first started I made conciderations like yours: quiting while your ahead. But it started to make no sense to me very fast. There is so much you can't controle. Some of those factors you mention yourself: who shows up, how many points will be up etc.

Now I base my decision to go again based on (in no particular order):

- Is the infrastructure acting reliable, or are there many reports on disconnects
- Do I think I can do better/faster?
- Do I have the energy, mindset, concentration it takes for a better result?
- Am I having fun during the race?
- Do I have time for another go?

Stuff like that. Not points, not the "one and done", "one chance" arguments and things like that.

Don't get me wrong: I want to be ahead of @OJBrit @foolsgold74 and all my friends on the leaderboard and all you nice people out here, but that won't stop me from trying again in a slot if I can tick all those boxes. Even if I only get 30 points from a low B rated win, that's far longer lasting than being 214th for Jaguar.

So my question for you and others like you is: how does that work? What do you weigh? What are your conciderations?

Last edited:
Shouldn't do that, not healthy kicking yourself.

When I first started I made conciderations like yours: quiting while your ahead. But it started to make no sense to me very fast. There is so much you can't controle. Some of those factors you mention yourself: who shows up, how many points will be up etc.

Now I base my decision to go again based on (in no particular order):

- Is the infrastructure acting reliable, or are there many reports on disconnects
- Do I think I can do better/faster?
- Do I have the energy, mindset, concentration it takes for a better result?
- Am I having fun during the race?
- Do I have time for another go?

Stuff like that. Not points, not the "one and done", "one chance" arguments and things like that.

Don't get me wrong: I want to be ahead of @OJBrit @foolsgold74 and all my friends on the leaderboard and all you nice people out here, but that won't stop me from trying again in a slot if I can tick all those boxes. Even if I only get 30 points from a low B rated win, that's far longer lasting than being 214th for Jaguar.

So my question for you and others like you is: how does that work? What do you weigh? What are your conciderations?
In my case I have to weigh against my work and family life. That usually means it is just 1 and done no matter the result. It all works out in the end. Good rounds and bad rounds to be had. Just have to get used to dealing with the ups and downs as they come.

Done some initial practice for this week’s Manu round. I’m now feeling optimistic about my chances. The Aston is very competitive on pace and the leaderboard METAs are all FF. I expect them to have some pretty serious tyre trouble. I haven’t driven them, but I’d expect they might start to struggle towards the end of both soft and medium stints. I think 12 on softs without dramatic time loss should be manageable for me in the Vantage. Mediums at lap 12 are still as good as first lap.

Anyone else find Sardegna C addictive for time trialing? Something about it just keeps me running lap after lap.

In my case I have to weigh against my work and family life. That usually means it is just 1 and done no matter the result. It all works out in the end. Good rounds and bad rounds to be had. Just have to get used to dealing with the ups and downs as they come.
This.

Have no conscientious objection to going again especially if it's a fun race combination. But almost never have time due to real life interfering :)

Done some initial practice for this week’s Manu round. I’m now feeling optimistic about my chances. The Aston is very competitive on pace and the leaderboard METAs are all FF. I expect them to have some pretty serious tyre trouble. I haven’t driven them, but I’d expect they might start to struggle towards the end of both soft and medium stints. I think 12 on softs without dramatic time loss should be manageable for me in the Vantage. Mediums at lap 12 are still as good as first lap.

Anyone else find Sardegna C addictive for time trialing? Something about it just keeps me running lap after lap.
All tyres are available but only Hards are mandatory, so I'm not sure that running the Meds makes sense.
Even Softs actually. I haven't done any testing yet but I guess a no-stop on Hards (with tyre-saving) will be the go-to strategy, as you won't need to add any fuel with x2 multiplier. Well, it could also depend on the pit-stop duration obviously.

And yes, I find every short track addictive ;)

Last edited:
All tyres are available but only Hards are mandatory, so I'm not sure that running the Meds makes sense.
Even Softs actually. I haven't done any testing yet but I guess a no-stop on Hards will be the go-to strategy, as you won't need to add fuel with x2 multiplier.

And yes, I find every short track is addictive ;)

I misread the conditions and thought all compounds were mandatory. This is potentially even better. A 12s12s1h will work. Just have to test whether a no stop might be better.

Last edited:

Only hards are mandatory.

I misread the conditions and thought all compounds were mandatory. This is potentially even better. A 12s12s1h will work. Just have to test whether a no stop might be better.

That would depend on who you're racing. Pit loss is about 20 seconds here. Pitting twice, gives you a 40 second deficit to make up. Add to that, slipstream was pretty important around here in race.

Similar combo came up in the exhibition season, if I'm not mistaken. Most winners were either the no stoppers, or those in the FF's who managed to make a 1 stop work.

Personally I'm not too keen or very good at the tyre management races. So I'll probably run a 1 stop. Using the RS/RH.

Back