2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
Biggest difference between this race and that one is that this one you have hards as mandatory tyres. Last time was meds.

I'm struggling more on the hards compared to the meds. Like Miumiu79 said: "the Jaaag is a boat on hard tyres". I can sympathise with him on this track.

Still think have no choice though. Don't think S/H will work

Last edited:
View media item 73866
Race Report. 1920 Race, C/S Lobby. Door 9.

I would say I was in my own head after yesterday's practice. Definitely lacking any confidence and earlier practices today, I kept making small errors. Couldn't shake it. Also moved my monitors around to try and get a more straight on approach but that was a mistake. Qualifying? Was just aiming for a solid lap, stay on the track, just get a time. Went well until I came to slower traffic at 130R, I went a little wide and the track gremlin grabbed my right rear tire and .... crap. Remarkably I qualified 13th despite spinning out.

Went for a 1H/8M/7S strategy and it was working... kinda. Opening lap, P12 & P11 Completely misjudged the first corner and went off into the sand. I get through my lap very cautiously and get the tire change. Came out in 15th and still felt tentative on the mediums. Lots of clear air in front of me, still didn't have the pace I had yesterday. Come in at the end of 9 to switch to softs and I'm feeling like I can get through this OKAY.

View media item 73864
Letting a much faster car pass me at the hairpin. Oddly one of the cars that got a tire penalty.

I come out of the pits and there's two back markers there and I COULD pull out in front of them but decide it would be a poor move and they'll be pitting on the next lap or so anyways, better to work my way around. One of the cars head off at the end of 10, i plan set up an overtake of the back marker either at T1 or Dunlop.

View media item 73867
And then?

Then a racing incident happens.

I'm flying down the front stretch and a car comes out of the pits. She waits to let the car I was behind go past, didn't see me coming, and squeezed me right off the track, just as I got to the braking zone, as I try to stay left. I had three choices: 1) Plow right into them. Never a good choice. 2) Brake hard and risk losing all control. Marginal Choice. 3) Stay left, hope they see me and try to go through the turn side by side. That worked about as well as finding a leprechaun's pot of gold. Looking back on it, I should have braked hard as hell to avoid getting pushed off the track.

Couldn't pull right back on the track immediately because there was traffic. I lose 15 seconds, and meh. I'm in 14th and all the pit stops are over. I refuse to quit a race but I stopped pushing. Decided to just finish out the race, annoyed AF and hope for some tire penalties. Got within 5 seconds of P13. Stayed in 14th, Tire Penalties pushed me up to 12th. Ce La Vie.

View media item 73865
A little demoralized. No matter what tires I was on, it felt like i was driving on Ice. Off to Wednesday.

Another vote to have pit lane lines enforced. I had that happen on the last lap of my race. Car came out and jumped left and I had to brake hard to avoid hitting them. I was on their bumper until going to T11 hairpin, they chose the left side and I was taking the right and then they jumped in front of me and hit the brakes. I again had to brake hard and slightly tapped them but they did not go off.

I was able to cut back to the left at the hairpin and power out and get the outside at T12. I ended up n P6 after 2 racers didn't follow tire requirements.

I'd be counting on shunts, punts and mistakes, to try a different strategy.

Think I won a race at Sardegna B, before the long pit stops, by running RS for multiple stops and then the RH on the last stop. As the fuel drops, the RS is going to be quicker than a fresh cold RH, on the last lap.
A little bit of clean air after Lap 1, could pay dividends at the end.

Shouldn't do that, not healthy kicking yourself.

When I first started I made considerations like yours: quitting while your ahead. But it started to make no sense to me very fast. There is so much you can't control. Some of those factors you mention yourself: who shows up, how many points will be up etc.

Now I base my decision to go again based on (in no particular order):

- Is the infrastructure acting reliable, or are there many reports on disconnects
- Do I think I can do better/faster?
- Do I have the energy, mindset, concentration it takes for a better result?
- Am I having fun during the race?
- Do I have time for another go?

Stuff like that. Not points, not the "one and done", "one chance" arguments and things like that.

Don't get me wrong: I want to be ahead of @OJBrit @foolsgold74 and all my friends on the leaderboard and all you nice people out here, but that won't stop me from trying again in a slot if I can tick all those boxes. Even if I only get 30 points from a low B rated win, that's far longer lasting than being 214th for Jaguar.

So my question for you and others like you is: how does that work? What do you weigh? What are your considerations?
Most of the time it depends on the result and the combo. If I get a good result and don't think it's worth the time to see if I can do better I leave the result even if it is 13th. Sometimes coming 13th shows me that I'm not really going to be good here. The only time I go again is if I feel I have been denied a result. This would be a massive error from me (99% of the time) or that an idiot has ruined my race. Most of the time I am just happy to do a one and done. Probably being a racing fan helps with this as there are no do overs usually.

Staying out of trouble and next week’s training schedule

Before I tell you how the race went, there is something you should know about how I view the Nations Cup.

For me, time to race is limited, so I don’t drive dailies during FIA and most of my championship races are done on Saturday’s, which are much easier to plan around work and family life. That said I regard Nations as the “fun” playful sibling to the “serious” striving brother Manufacturer. Nations is under the radar and it’s my playground to have some fun with stuff I don’t bother with online, like karts and the upcoming mini race. I also practice these much less and the results are a mixed bag to say the least.

That also has its upsides; After a race I'll know were my “natural” level is at and therefore these races normally set me back in DR, which is fine since this way you will organically move in the right direction of easier or harder lobbies.

It’s also a place where I dare to experiment and that’s what I did in this race. I did not go into the race wanting to do so, but if you watch the first 2 laps you’ll see all kinds of bad and/or vindictive driving al around me. So my first instinct was: “get away, find some clear road and keep it that way for as long as you can”.

I started 6th on meds and that was good. Kept up with the squabbling front and stayed clear from the followers (well, for the most part). So during my second pitstop watching my fuel, Logan (the playful one inside me), said: “don’t refuel and you’ll get away from this madness, go ahead it will be fun”. Seth, being more down to earth went along with it as it would give me: “a good training opportunity to practice heavy-fuel-saving-while-being-under-pressure-all-the-time”. And so I did. Of on an adventure trying to save 1,3 rounds of fuel while running 8 laps on softs.

Now I don’t know how you have placed your fuel map but I flick between X for the menu’s and “square” for down and “round” for up… That is not an easy thing to do while going through the esses and chicane, trying to hit apexes, not run wide and managing fuel at the same time, ‘cause that’s where I figured I’d have the best chance of saving fuel. What do I know, never done it before haha.

But it worked, sort of, I managed to find that clear road, get away from the bad/angry drivers and keep it relative easy for a long time. Even going to 2nd place near the end of the race.
The only thing I mismanaged was noticing my laps left was adjusting as I was driving. Which meant I was running very-short-on-fuel in the final sector. I got a little too eager I guess and instead of just letting the Porsche in 3rd go by and claim a podium, I thought I could make it work. I didn’t. Ran out fuel and crawled my way through Casio and the finish line. Got passed by 4 cars (just) but got one position back after penalties for tyres.

5th overall. Not bad, not bad at all with such a risky strategy and much better than I was initially going for (P-Steve would have been da bomb, if you’d ask me prior to the race). Learnt a lot, again. Among other things I need to practice the use of my buttons.

I'm going to ping a bunch of psn friend requests to folks on here tomorrow. Please feel free to ignore them, I won't be offended. But I think having a larger group of like minded racers on my friends list would be a good thing.
And I'll try to join @Seth_Logan 's lobbies. Practice races are surely better than an hour of hotlapping. And it ought to be a laugh at least.

Hope you do! it's a nice environment.

On to next week. I liked training with you all, so much so I’ve decided to set up a schedule for next week as well (to be honest, the training sessions are even more enjoyable at times than the actual race). It’s easy going and amendable. If anyone wants to add 3 or more races (with different time slots and/or different races on offer) feel free to PM me with times (time zone) race days and type of race similar to the placeholder question mark. It’s important you can volunteer more than a race or two since I have to make the effort to edit all of this during my normal activities and I need that to be manageable.

So for this week’s schedule starting tonight:

upload_2021-5-16_17-44-6.png

Watch the video to see me struggle with the buttons. The fun starts after the pitstop in round 8.

Last edited:
Another vote to have pit lane lines enforced. I had that happen on the last lap of my race. Car came out and jumped left and I had to brake hard to avoid hitting them. I was on their bumper until going to T11 hairpin, they chose the left side and I was taking the right and then they jumped in front of me and hit the brakes. I again had to brake hard and slightly tapped them but they did not go off.

I was able to cut back to the left at the hairpin and power out and get the outside at T12. I ended up n P6 after 2 racers didn't follow tire requirements.

Or at the very least have the joining car ghost out longer. Or something like that.

For me personally, I just don’t have the experience to know what is going to work in a split second. My lobby was a C/S lobby, I’ll go with the assumption that everyone is still learning their race craft. If it was an upper lobby, I’d be super mad.

Just a racing incident for me and a lesson to learn.... being sometimes there simply is nothing you can do and it’s just bad luck.

Before I tell you how the race went, there is something you should know about how I view the Nations Cup.

For me, time to race is limited, so I don’t drive dailies during FIA and most of my championship races are done on Saturday’s, which are much easier to plan around work and family life. That said I regard Nations as the “fun” playful sibling to the “serious” striving brother Manufacturer. Nations is under the radar and it’s my playground to have some fun with stuff I don’t bother with online, like karts and the upcoming mini race. I also practice these much less and the results are a mixed bag to say the least.

That also has its upsides; After a race I'll know were my “natural” level is at and therefore these races normally set me back in DR, which is fine since this way you will organically move in the right direction of easier or harder lobbies.

It’s also a place where I dare to experiment and that’s what I did in this race. I did not go into the race wanting to do so, but if you watch the first 2 laps you’ll see all kinds of bad and/or vindictive driving al around me. So my first instinct was: “get away, find some clear road and keep it that way for as long as you can”.

I started 6th on meds and that was good. Kept up with the squabbling front and stayed clear from the followers (well, for the most part). So during my second pitstop watching my fuel, Logan (the playful one inside me), said: “don’t refuel and you’ll get away from this madness, go ahead it will be fun”. Seth, being more down to earth went along with it as it would give me: “a good training opportunity to practice heavy-full-saving-while-being-under-pressure-all-the-time”. And so I did. Of on an adventure trying to save 1,3 rounds of full while running 8 laps on softs.

Now I don’t know how you have placed your full map but I flick between X for the menu’s and “square” for down and “round” for up… That is not an easy thing to do while going through the esses and chicane, trying to hit apexes, not run wide and managing fuel at the same time, ‘cause that’s where I figured I’d have the best chance of saving fuel. What do I know, never done it before haha.

But it worked, sort of, I managed to find that clear road, get away from the bad/angry drivers and keep it relative easy for a long time. Even going to 2nd place near the end of the race.
The only thing I mismanaged was noticing my laps left was adjusting as I was driving. Which meant I was running very-short-on-fuel in the final sector. I got a little too eager I guess and instead of just letting the Porsche in 3rd go by and claim a podium, I thought I could make it work. I didn’t. Ran out fuel and crawled my way through Casio and the finish line. Got passed by 4 cars (just) but got one position back after penalties for tyres.

5th overall. Not bad, not bad at all with such a risky strategy and much better than I was initially going for (P-Steve would have been da bomb, if you’d ask me prior to the race). Learnt a lot, again. Among other things I need to practice the use of my buttons.

On to next week. I liked training with you all, so much so I’ve decided to set up a schedule for next week as well (to be honest, the training sessions are even more enjoyable at times than the actual race). It’s easy going and amendable. If anyone wants to add 3 or more races (with different time slots and/or different races on offer) feel free to PM me with times (time zone) race days and type of race similar to the placeholder question mark. It’s important you can volunteer more than a race or two since I have to make the effort to edit all of this during my normal activities and I need that to be manageable.

View attachment 1011317
Watch the video to see me struggle with the buttons. The fun starts after the pitstop in round 8.

well, time for me to get back on the horse and put Suzuka behind me. See you then!

Why couldn't/won't PD create/institute track limits (with penalties) for pit lane entrances/exits?

I started 6th on meds and that was good. Kept up with the squabbling front and stayed clear from the followers (well, for the most part). So during my second pitstop watching my fuel, Logan (the playful one inside me), said: “don’t refuel and you’ll get away from this madness, go ahead it will be fun”. Seth, being more down to earth went along with it as it would give me: “a good training opportunity to practice heavy-full-saving-while-being-under-pressure-all-the-time”. And so I did. Of on an adventure trying to save 1,3 rounds of full while running 8 laps on softs.

Now I don’t know how you have placed your full map but I flick between X for the menu’s and “square” for down and “round” for up… That is not an easy thing to do while going through the esses and chicane, trying to hit apexes, not run wide and managing fuel at the same time, ‘cause that’s where I figured I’d have the best chance of saving fuel. What do I know, never done it before haha.

View attachment 1011317

Super cool. I'll endeavour to make at least one of these!

Done some initial practice for this week’s Manu round. I’m now feeling optimistic about my chances. The Aston is very competitive on pace and the leaderboard METAs are all FF. I expect them to have some pretty serious tyre trouble. I haven’t driven them, but I’d expect they might start to struggle towards the end of both soft and medium stints. I think 12 on softs without dramatic time loss should be manageable for me in the Vantage. Mediums at lap 12 are still as good as first lap.

Anyone else find Sardegna C addictive for time trialing? Something about it just keeps me running lap after lap.

Edit: nevermind my bit about the compounds. Like others, I glanced at the chart last night and misread it. Only the hards being required should make for an interesting race, I think.

Also, I realized last night - I think I've mainly run this track in reverse. I know I've done it forwards at some point but every time I think of the braking points and race line, my brain wants to do the reverse configuration.

Why couldn't/won't PD create/institute track limits (with penalties) for pit lane entrances/exits?

Another one of those great mystery questions because they obviously can and do when they want to. It was a pretty big deal this past World Final with the penalties for crossing the pit lane - both into and out of the pit - affecting race positions.

Last edited:
Wasn't sure if I was going to race last night since I made a short trip to the beach for a couple days and drove back yesterday afternoon, but once I was home and settled I needed something to do so I jumped into a practice lobby with the GTR and got a couple laps in. And I mean, literally a couple laps.

First slot, top split, qualified poorly as expected with a 58.0. Started P15. Went with medium tires first, as I hate dealing with the FIA long-intro cold hard tires. Most people around me pitted on lap 1 or 2 to ditch their hard tires, so that put me in clean air pretty quickly and it stayed that way pretty much all race. Moved up 3 positions without overtaking anyone and finished P12 for 191pts.

Second slot, slightly weaker top split than before. Qualified a little better, 57.7, started P13. Used the same strat, started on mediums. This time I pitted after 6 laps for softs, because the previous race I felt that I could push the softs for longer. So, at the end of lap 6 I took soft tires and fuel, then took the hard tires on the final lap. Moved up to finish P10 for 214pts.

Slot 3, door #8 at 63k DR so the lobby was a bit weaker...which was good news for me. Finally put up a Q lap I was comfortable with, 57.5, which started me in P7. I once again decided to use the mediums first strategy since it seemed to keep me away from too much battling traffic. The guy ahead of me started on soft tires and got held up behind P5 for awhile. After he got by, I had more pace on mediums than the newly appointed P6, so I passed him on the straight and he cooperated so we didn't lose much time. Took soft tires at the end of lap 6 and ran them for 9 laps. On my soft stint I caught up to the guy who started just ahead of me on softs, who was now on mediums. He defended pretty hard into T1, squeezing me way over to the inside, but as we reached the apex he backed off just enough and I made a clean pass. Set fastest lap of the race at one point but that got taken away by a guy behind me who was catching up quickly but he never fully closed the gap. Took home a P5 finish for 257pts and couldn't be happier with that result given the fact that I had zero laps of practice in the GTR before race day. That knocks off my lowest score by nearly 30pts.

Thanks for the races everyone, good seeing you all on track as usual!

Just was doing some FP at Sardegna C for the next round of the Manufacturers Series - my best time is currently 0:56.684, which is just a bit over a second behind the top ten for my region, so I feel pretty good about that. I set my brake balance to -3, since I feel like I’ll mostly be braking for the first and last turns, as well as the last turn before the first (and only) checkpoint. TCS is still set to 1, as I feel a bit better using most Gr.4 cars with it on, my Genesis Gr.4 included.

Last edited:
I’ve been running practice laps at Sardena C for next Manu race. M4 is handling well and best lap so far 55.8.

Super fun track but I feel that this will be a jam packed race with 20(?) cars to share the short track with and not much room to be safe!

Big unknown now is the tire strategy..., waiting to see some thoughts from you here.

Big unknown now is the tire strategy..., waiting to see some thoughts from you here.
I was thinking of just going on Hards until I need to pit for fuel - that is, if I do - and then see how many laps are left. From there, I’ll make a judgment if I want another set of Hards, or if I may want to spend the rest of the race on a relatively softer compound.

Last edited:
I’ve been running practice laps at Sardena C for next Manu race. M4 is handling well and best lap so far 55.8.

Super fun track but I feel that this will be a jam packed race with 20(?) cars to share the short track with and not much room to be safe!

I was thinking of just going on Hards until I need to pit for fuel - that is, if I do - and then see how many laps are left. From there, I’ll make a judgment if I want another set of Hards, or if I may want to spend the rest of the race on a relatively softer compound.

Fuel doesn't look like an issue, I had half a tank left at the end. Looks like a no-stop on hards. For me anyways.

Fuel doesn't look like an issue, I had half a tank left at the end. Looks like a no-stop on hards. For me anyways.

Yeah I agree, unless you can make up a second a lap on the softs AND make them last at least 20 laps the no stop seems the only option really. Just ran a practice lobby with @Photodave219 and @Seth_Logan and my tyres were slightly off by the last lap on brake balance of -1, so thinking 0 or +1 for the race should be fine. If you're in a fwd tyres may be an issue.

Yeah I agree, unless you can make up a second a lap on the softs AND make them last at least 20 laps the no stop seems the only option really. Just ran a practice lobby with @Photodave219 and @Seth_Logan and my tyres were slightly off by the last lap on brake balance of -1, so thinking 0 or +1 for the race should be fine. If you're in a fwd tyres may be an issue.

I haven't done any real testing yet but just looking at the requirements and multipliers, I think it's going to be about FR no-stopping vs FF's 1-stopping. FFs chew through tires to quickly to make a no-stop viable unless you're a master at tire management, probably the same with making the RS last long enough for a full stint. It should be interesting, it's very much going to be about focusing on the long game.

Last edited:

Yeah I had an issue in a race this time, guy pulls out wide so I go inside and he cuts in on me spinning and I get 2 secs. After race he doesn't even know he was in the wrong and had he played well he might have kept the position or at most lost to just me and not the 3 others on my tail.

had a quick run and seems the usual 12/13 or there abouts depending on how harsh you are on tyres.

Wait just need hards, not sure if I can do thr whole thing on hards and since the pit changes this could be an issue.

Last edited:
This race is a carbon copy of a race from the previous exhibition season, and no stopping on hards was the more successful strategy.

If you're in an FF and literally can't make it to the end without scorching your tyres you'll have to stop, in which case you have to decide if you want to start on the softs hoping to build a gap before pitting or if you want to save the faster tyre for the second stint where you're lighter on fuel so maybe you can go faster and fight better.

Saving the softs for the lighter stint should also give them at least a lap or two more of tyre life.

I wasn't feeling well goin into this round with only 25 min of practice with the Lexus we brave on and chose the Porsche last min lol yeah i was out of it. Now this have become a practice race. an So we qualify 16th in our first race, my strat was simple I knew ppl gonna try to be a hero in the opening laps so i started in on hard and pit at the end of lap 1 get some free air to find the groove than did 8 laps on the Medium and finish 8th on the soft with a couple bottlejobs here and there, but we had the pace.

Now that we had time with the Porsche we went into Race 2 with some confidence that we can get great result. Qualify 11th we were on the same strat in the beginning of our medium stint we find a Corvette on the same strategy, we stay on its draft for most of it to save fuel till the corvette bottle it with one lap to go in the medium stint. than something amazing happen Halfway with the soft in 6th the leaders sow up in our line of sight. this was a great opportunity we have done all our stop we came up to 2 GT-Rs door banging each other we manage to past them, but that was a mistake. I got punt and dive bomb to hell and back out of a potential podium -_- Still we had the pace

Race 3 we switch to the Supra change our strat to medium than Hard and finish on soft although we ranked 19th in the lobby We were feeling good about this

Yeah i was done for the night no more -_-

Last edited:

I haven't done any real testing yet but just looking at the requirements and multipliers, I think it's going to be about FR no-stopping vs FF's 1-stopping. FFs chew through tires to quickly to make a no-stop viable unless you're a master at tire management, probably the same with making the RS last long enough for a full stint. It should be interesting, it's very much going to be about focusing on the long game.

Yeah I had an issue in a race this time, guy pulls out wide so I go inside and he cuts in on me spinning and I get 2 secs. After race he doesn't even know he was in the wrong and had he played well he might have kept the position or at most lost to just me and not the 3 others on my tail.

had a quick run and seems the usual 12/13 or there abouts depending on how harsh you are on tyres.

Wait just need hards, not sure if I can do thr whole thing on hards and since the pit changes this could be an issue.

This race is a carbon copy of a race from the previous exhibition season, and no stopping on hards was the more successful strategy.

If you're in an FF and literally can't make it to the end without scorching your tyres you'll have to stop, in which case you have to decide if you want to start on the softs hoping to build a gap before pitting or if you want to save the faster tyre for the second stint where you're lighter on fuel so maybe you can go faster and fight better.

Saving the softs for the lighter stint should also give them at least a lap or two more of tyre life.

Did anybody test/consider that all FF's might also go on hards and not pit? The tyre wear is big, but is it uncomfortably big for the FF's in this short race? They still have their advantages. RCZ anyone?

Last edited:
It was even more annoying yesterday as there really isn't a big advantage in crossing the line at Suzuka, you haven't built up much speed by turn 1 when you are coming out of the pits so taking a wider line makes very little difference.
Doesn't stop eejits from doing it though!

As for this week in Manu at Sardegna C, looks like a clear no stopper on hards. I won the equivalent race in the exhibition season in a Scirocco no stopping (#notsohumblebrag). Not sure how the tyre wear and requirements compare though. The Aston should be completely fine on tyre wear but won't be as quick as the V Dub was. Scirocco is pretty META for me around Sardegna C in both directions.

Did anybody test/concider that all FF's might also go on hards an not pit? The tyre wear is big, but is it unconfortably big for the FF's in this short race? They still have their advantages. RCZ anyone?
I think they almost certainly will.

Did some googling and the equivalent race in the exhibition series had identical settings other than the fact that only medium and soft tyres were available and mediums were mandatory.

I managed to no stop a Scirocco on Mediums with x5 tyre wear at that race without too much difficulty (nursing it a bit for the last 3 or 4 laps if I remember correctly). So a no stop on hards should be easy for the FF cars this time. Push brake balance back to +5 and adjust braking points accordingly.

As someone said above, unless softs are over 1 sec a lap quicker and can last 20 laps or so, it's a boring no stopper for everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone said above, unless softs are over 1 sec a lap quicker and can last 20 laps or so, it's a boring no stopper for everyone.

I just did an easy 13 laps on the softs in the Jag with the BB at +2. That tells me that if I actually try to tire save and push the BB back to +4 or so, I might get close to 20 laps on the softs. (Probably closer to 18 but I'm feeling optimistic about myself right now.) Maybe a 1-stop might be viable? We'll see how much time I have to play around with things the next few days.

Back