2020 FIA Series Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by GTPNewsWire, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Razgriz2118

Razgriz2118

I wasn't planning on racing in the FIA Championship races, but because of the pandemic a lot of the things in my life changed and I ended up with nothing but free time, so I focused my energy into it. Work is starting now so I definitely won't be able to practice as much as before, so Stage 1 is "the end" for me. I'll still be racing for sure, but it won't be my main focus everyday anymore now that I have other things to do. I'm happy with the results though. I never thought I'd be able to get my DR to A, nor did I think it would ever be in the 40k range, and I certainly didn't think I'd score this highly in any of the championships. Had I been 3 places better in Manufacturer's I would've qualified for the S rank, which is something I'm astonished at. I'm always doubting and second guessing myself with everything, so seeing these results helps a lot with knowing that maybe I can drive decently.

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20200531205134.jpg

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20200531205048.jpg

2. Redneckchef

Redneckchef Premium

Don't sweat it. If you get the results you get the results. DR is a guess anyway. Good job:tup:

GT5Power, SmokeyMR2, LVS_1986 and 7 others like this.
  3. roamingbard13

roamingbard13

Registered as a “star” player for the 4th best driver for the 25th best manu today, lol. Snorted my coffee out when they asked for my phone number to contact in case they need to make world tour accommodations.

I’ve got to be close to the lowest DR S-rated driver in NA. I’m at 37.5k but I’ve been on the upswing and finished with 2 wins and a P2 as my 3 best.

anyways, brands hatch is a demon track for me, so I’ll see y’all on Saturday hopefully at St Croix.

adamp93, SmokeyMR2, LVS_1986 and 6 others like this.
  4. Razgriz2118

Razgriz2118

It feels weird, but does anyone else feel more comfortable in race cars than road cars? Like, the limits of a road car are so much lower that it's so much easier to push them over the edge, so it's harder to both eek out the full potential and eek it out consistently. I don't feel competitive at all for the Nations race tomorrow; normally I'm 1-2s off the top times on the leaderboard, but I'm struggling to get under 3 seconds off the top times. Factor in that the race is going to be a tire-wear race and I don't think it'll be a pretty result.

5. Jwptexas

Jwptexas

Logged in today to find out I got beat out on the final week, props to 5th place I ended up in 6th for my first real season. Still happy about that! I think I screwed myself over jumping up my DR so high last for the last couple races.

I was finishing great and competitive around 35k-40k DR even on tracks I wasn't at my best. Then all of a sudden I dominated in couple daily races and jumped up to 60k DR and got my ass handled, lol... Points in the lobbies were great 316 for 1st but 100 for last but I was definitely enjoying the lower ranked lobbies and winning.

Had fun this season reached A+ and it's time to grind for that S next season! I didn't realize I could get to S with just A rank darnit!

PirovacBoy, Pigems, LVS_1986 and 2 others like this.
  6. DaddyDaFoe_

DaddyDaFoe_

I'm with you on this one. The lack of grip is something that puts me off completely. I can't be as nearly as fast nor consistent on road cars when compared to gr4, gr3 and higher. I also prefer cars that I don't need to fight to drive. Maybe the fact that I'm on a controller rather than a wheel makes them not as fun to drive, at least for me.

7. GTWolverine

GTWolverine

I've never had this happen to me, and whenever I first enter free practice I always do it with the car "as is," so if it was on Hards because of the last race I did, I check the options menu then change to the softest tires available if I'm able to, and run my laps and my time gets recorded regardless of when/how I switched my tires. I've found sometimes with the online sites (both 3rd party and official), it just takes a little while before times are updated.

8. Razgriz2118

Razgriz2118

I'm on wheel, and when I think about it, I think it's the lack of feeling all of the car as it moves, like, I can visually see I'm diving as the suspension compresses and the weight transfers, but it's not translated the best since it's just a wheel from a video game, which in itself has limits to what it can simulate. So for more precise maneuvers, it's harder for me to judge completely and well what the car is instantaneously doing, while in a car with more grip/harder suspension, which race cars tend to have over road cars, the feedback is easier to feel. Like, I feel more confident driving road cars in Assetto Corsa than GT Sport for some reason, and I think the FFB has to do with it. Or maybe I just suck lol.

JEverettL, SmokeyMR2, Pigems and 2 others like this.
  9. KosmoKazi

KosmoKazi

That’s right: you can only race who else shows up, so no apologies or qualifications required. Well done.

it’s also on GTS in game and on the site, where the faster time is not shown. Weird, but maybe I’m missing something.

Pigems, LVS_1986 and Redneckchef like this.
  10. DaddyDaFoe_

DaddyDaFoe_

Those are some good points. Gt sport is not the best on the wheel, it has quite simple ffb (from what I've seen), and that plays a big part on car control and precison. As for the car feel, on the controller I can only see the car sliding and understeering, with huge body roll. I know that it would happen in real life too, it's just personal preference at this point. I do plan on getting a wheel at some point, once this whole mess is over. But anyway, it's a FIA topic, I should not ramble about general stuff.

11. HaydenFan69

HaydenFan69

I've seen the answer here already, just cannot find it, but simple yes or no answer will suffice. I run a FIA event, score in Race 1, if I run Race 2-3-so on, are points cumulative, or do I score just my best race?

12. Rangeraus

Rangeraus

Only the last race you enter counts.

Pigems, watto79, Razgriz2118 and 3 others like this.
  13. 05XR8

05XR8

Did one lap alone, for 2:37.858(P11/20. i was 12th, but someone just left the room or disco'd - a couple one dot specials are on the grid). Sat out rest of the session. FL is 2:35.768-2:42.586(19th... oops, that player just left).

14. 8l23ub

8l23ub

They official site will only record best laps with BoP applied and Hard (Racing or Sports) tyres. Maybe it helps them make their BoP adjustments using standard settings.

KosmoKazi and Pigems like this.
  15. 05XR8

05XR8

[​IMG]

Good start. Ran woith a respectful pack from 8th-11th.
    An orange car was somehow slow. we caught it and it didn't know where to place the car. I got off the throttle to hang back, but that car was too slow. Bunched us up and players trying to be polite about making clean passes.
    Some got penalties, probably for track limits. I made it up to 6th going into the first right-hander before the underpass. I think that orange car was up the inside of the car next to me. Messed us all up. I get pushed off and fall a few spots.

That ruins my tyres after managing them for 8 laps. Picked up 1.5 seconds from the final chicane. As I'm unghosting after the PZ, the car that finished 9th, is side by side the car that finished 14th. 9th slows down(I race that player alot), to give me the run through 130R. 14th(I only see that player in FIA races) just blasts into my left side and spears off, continuing to pull away.

Last lap to the finish, somoeone is ghosted across the track. I pick up 10th.

16. sunshifts

sunshifts

SO many disconnections lately when trying to join the lobby. Infuriating.

Pigems likes this.
  17. Redneckchef

Redneckchef Premium

Doh. Got home late, missed my normal slot. Decided to try the 10pm slot. Umm, qualified p18 out of 18 with a 2:39.5 And not particularly close to the pack. Going to be a long 9 laps.

Edit: and boy was it. I made it cautious into turn 1, there was a spin turn 2, so everyone is bunched up. I pick an open line and slowly drive up, cars ahead tap, pinball effect back to me and I get 1 sec and slowed down while they get boosted back to speed. Second curve of the esses, similar thing. 2 cars hit side by side, 1 spins off clipping the other sideways and I drive to go past but barely nick the corner. As in I didnt know there was contact. 1 more second. Got to p13, got to penalty zone and back to p16 of 18. P18 quits. The other driver and I battle a bit but basically just lap. I got a 1.5 for just barely missing the curb in casio so be careful. I thought I was still clean on my normal line but the computer says no.

End up p16 of 17. The other driver pitted for tires so i had a massive lead on him when a other driver ahead spun out and i catch them last lap. Then promptly brake at my normal spot instead of slipstream and tap them just wide. Wait for them, get a 1 second penalty, and I go from a 10 second lead on last to having to drive defensive into casio for the final time as they are 0.3 back. Held them off cleanly. After the penalties lap 1 I was 20 seconds back. Starting last lap I was only 32 back, and that counts my 1.5 second penalty, so if I could have stayed with the pack I might have had some spots, but it was not to be. Ended up with only 1 more point than from my disaster at DTS, but this was more just me being too slow.

Good luck out there, I am off the FIAs for a week as life intervenes.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    SmokeyMR2, 05XR8, JEverettL and 2 others like this.
  18. KosmoKazi

KosmoKazi

It makes perfect sense. There is definitely much more 'feedback' provided by a race car, so that translates to better feel in a sim game like GTS. I agree that there is a lot more 'feel' available in the race cars, where the road cars are pretty much stuck with less power than traction, or slippery where there is no resistance at the traction limit, so either way, a lot less is communicated through the wheel, and without the real life g-forces to help you, less info to process when driving.

I remember the 'good old days' when we were matched in lobby after lobby in the Daily Races! (it was only three months ago!). Your run up to A+ and really fast lap times has been impressive. I know when I see your QT/FP times that if I can get within a second of you, I'm typically in good shape. Keep it up. I don't know how you do it with DS4! (but I did always underestimate the Mustang and GT... you tried to tell me up front!)

Makes perfect sense. I had considered this explanation as well, and that the data is maintained and published to support ongoing BoP adjustments, makes good sense as well. So, combining this info with Kudosprime Daily QT's (which in some cases includes the use of S/M or other tires) is what we have to work with, for keeping historical best lap time data.

19. T_revisio

T_revisio

Hi, this also happened to me last stage and again today.

Either there is some new mystery about Latin format characters or the form needs a fix.

Please see the attached screenshot of the form area that we are talking about.

Have tried 3 browsers; safari, chrome and ie.

Have also tried it on 3 devices; phone, laptop and PS4.

Same result each time, that field stays red, so cannot register.

Attached Files:

Pigems likes this.
  20. Pigems

Pigems Premium

You have to put a space between the first initial/period and the last name, for example, D. Pigems. It took me a minute to sort that out last night too. :)

SmokeyMR2, Redneckchef and T_revisio like this.
  21. das89ca

das89ca

You shortname must be in that specific format: <initial>. <Last name>. As an example J. Beam for Jim Beam. Make sure to leave a space after the point.

Pigems likes this.
  22. stpatty

stpatty

Why am I doing tonight's race when I'm about to start practicing for it now, and am generally useless in road cars?

23. Jwptexas

Jwptexas

Ha, yeah man that wasn't too long ago! You're stuck right in the area I got stuck in but once you get over that 30k hump it gets easier much better drivers all around not just the weekend warriors, lol. It was all about getting over that hump honestly, you're literally there man just need to get a good qualifying time on a daily and grind for podiums.

I don't know how my transition to a Wheel from DS4 is going to go but I'm ready for it. Damn fingers hurt. You know me, I stay in that damn Ford GT everyday even when it's slow I've got a special bond with that car but when she works she is flying around the track!

Redneckchef, KosmoKazi and Pigems like this.
  24. T_revisio

T_revisio

Thanks guys ! All sorted now :cheers:

Pigems likes this.
  25. x5abotagex86

x5abotagex86

Goodluck tonighteveryone!

Hope I have time to do some laps or Nations practice tonight, I don’t know anything about half the track lol, been years since I’ve raced the full version lol.

Feel very confident in first section but don’t wanna ruin everyone’s race trying to figure out the second half lol.

Hope I can, and I hope to see you there!

Edit. - 86 a cool car, seemed fun in the short section anyway

Redneckchef, Razgriz2118 and Pigems like this.
  26. SlowDriver87

SlowDriver87

Hello everyone. First time poster here and I'm looking to do my first ever FIA race today in the Nations Cup at Suzuka. I'm going to be off work ill for a while so as I have a load of free time I thought I might as well finally give these races a crack and hopefully avoid rammers a bit more than in Daily Races. I've been practicing for an hour or so and managed to post a time of 2:36.223 in the BRZ. I've seen the tyre wear is 18x which has scared me a little bit. Does anyone know if a pit stop will be required in this race to change tyres/refuel?

Also I've had a bit of a search around and can't seem to find much info on how the races are structured i.e. is there a practice period, qualifying then race within each entry? Of course in the Daily Races you set your qualifying time outside of the race but I assume the FIA races are different to this?

Any help/tips appreciated!

27. stpatty

stpatty

Even better question after further inspection: Why am I doing it when I can't even run with a decent livery? Have there ever been provided cars for an FIA race before?

28. Jwptexas

Jwptexas

Monza Gr4 GT-R few weeks back that I can remember! Or Huracan I think it was.

29. stpatty

stpatty

You get 2 minutes for warm-up, then 5 minutes for qualifying (might be 6 minutes here actually since it's a longer lap), with everyone on track at once. It's effectively an open session like in F1. If you start a flying lap before the time runs out, you'll be able to finish it.

18x tyre wear won't be a problem, because the cars are on sports tyres. At lower levels you might benefit from pitting purely because people will be more likely to fall off, but I haven't raced or tested that yet so I don't want to say for certain.

FIA races are much better than dailies IMO because of the sense of formality and occasion, so good luck and don't be too stressed about it.

The Gr.4 race at Monza was a Huracan, and we had our own cars there.

30. x5abotagex86

x5abotagex86

When you get into the FIA lobby there will be a warmup (longer than dailies, few minutes or so)

then everyone qualifies on track together, an “out” lap and two opportunities to set a lap time.

then race!

Pigems and SlowDriver87 like this.