2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
So, I jumped into a lobby last night to get some practice in. After a couple of laps P1(the room owner) and I have broken the slip threshold to P3. I figure we work together, gap the field as best we can and then see how we go 1on1 at the end. So I bump draft him on all the straights being careful not to destabilise him in turns etc... He is flashing his hazards and I'm thinking "it's great when you work with someone like this" and "it's good to be getting some insight into raceday tactics" then, inexplicably, he pits on lap 7 and kicks me out of the room!?!?!? Pffft!

On the upside, I have now broken 43s in the Vantage in free practice. The Lancer is dominating the leaderboard though so I hope I can tack onto the back of one in qualifying :).

In my last Daily Race B, an F1 was doing the same to me. I kept moving out the way because I didn't want a bump draft. The lead F1 was pulling away, buy I didn't need any "help".
Besides, not like I was going to fight the F1 behind me, on the straights.
As a flip, the lead F1 kept zig zag going for the whole straight. Just unnecessary.

I thought bump drafting gives players behind an Orange S. I understand this doesn't apply in a Lobby, but could be perceived as bad racing etiquette.

In my last Daily Race B, an F1 was doing the same to me. I kept moving out the way because I didn't want a bump draft. The lead F1 was pulling away, buy I didn't need any "help".
Besides, not like I was going to fight the F1 behind me, on the straights.
As a flip, the lead F1 kept zig zag going for the whole straight. Just unnecessary.

I thought bump drafting gives players behind an Orange S. I understand this doesn't apply in a Lobby, but could be perceived as bad racing etiquette.

And if he had given any indication (except an ambiguous hazards flash) that he didn't want it, I would have just passed him. The problem was he never changed line or did anything to suggest it wasn't appreciated.

Will bump drafting attract a penalty/Orange SR in Manu do we think?

After doing some practice for the FIA manufacturers I’m worried about bump drafting. I don’t like to do it and I’m concerned the race might ruin both DR and SR all in one go.

does bump drafting give the car in front a penalty, or the car behind or both?

After doing some practice for the FIA manufacturers I’m worried about bump drafting. I don’t like to do it and I’m concerned the race might ruin both DR and SR all in one go.

does bump drafting give the car in front a penalty, or the car behind or both?

In recent times it has been penalizing the car behind, but it has also been turned off for certain FIA races (SSRX).

And if he had given any indication (except an ambiguous hazards flash) that he didn't want it, I would have just passed him. The problem was he never changed line or did anything to suggest it wasn't appreciated.

Will bump drafting attract a penalty/Orange SR in Manu do we think?
Maybe in Manu. Nations seems more like "for fun".

Honestly, I can't recall SR outcomes from previous BMB tri-oval races. I do know there were plenty yellow flags and ghosting cars every lap.

I remember in the Route X FIA race bump drafting penalties and SR downs were turned off (I won, woo!). When Route X became a daily however, penalties happened (sometimes on bumping but not always) and the car you bump-drafted would get an SR down, not you, which made no sense, The lobbies were filled with messages telling people not to bump-draft, but not everyone listened (I still won 2 times, woo!). 3 of my 5 lifetime wins were from those two races haha.

I guess we just have to wait and see what happens with Blue Moon. Luckily the NA region is behind EU, so I'll be watching streams to see what the rules are. That's assuming the foot of snow we're going to get doesn't kill the internet connection here in New Jersey. Good luck!

Last edited:
I both gave and received bump drafts at Manu Round 2 (Monza) and never got any SR deductions or penalties for it. Personally, I usually lifted just before hitting the car in front if I was going much faster than them, but I'm not sure that even made a difference.

So after managing 1 very average race in saturdays nations (got disconnected before race start and threw my toys out the pram) im choking for tonight, done some practices and noticed that i have to short shift the Ferrari for 20 laps or i run out of fuel... its all about the challenge... not the winnning :lol: im just waiting to see what happens with the bump draft... i need the slip

Going to be interesting, people asking about bump drafting. 1 guy in an R8 actually trying to race me during qualifying. So no slipstream for me. Starting p14, but anything can happen as long as Audi britches doesnt try to bottle everyone up

Race Report: Audi what? Yeah, so started p14, 2 drivers spin out on cold tires at the start, so think about TC1 for the first turn.

Yeah, I catch Audi driver, we are steady in the pack and then he takes the same wrong line into turn 1 he kept doing in qually, hits the wall like I knew. Only I was keeping hard inside, he just clips my rear anyway, 3 seconds for hitting another car. To add insult to that, our contact saved him, and he adds to it by pushing me into the wall in the final turn for another 1.5 seconds.

I meet up with another driver at the back and we bump draft near some stragglers and 2 stoppers. As we are nearing lap 10 Mr. Audi exits the pits, I brake early as he is merging with a pack. He has managed to pull directly in front of me and braked way early as well, right as he unghosts. I was braking early assuming this would happen, but it wasn't early enough. So I get 2 seconds, plus another added for good measure as it caused the game to assume I brake checked the guy behind me.

So 7.5 seconds for driving near this glue sniffing paint chip eating 'driver.'

Ended p17. Audi was p9 and calling me dirty.

I dunno, I had speed, but it seemed like everything was against me in the race. Gassing it to exit pits as early as possible and they exit me into no-mans land. Tried to run my qualifying and this guy kept diving and pushing me wide, then he got mad when his late dive around the outside of the final turn ended in the wall when we bumped. Never mind him pushing me into the wall. I even re entered the pits and came out to try to get space, and got started right behind them again.

Most guys seemed to be driving clean but my luck was long gone here despite having a faster car.

On the plus side my SR only went down about 13 despite all that 🤬. And some bump drafting seems allowed.:cheers:👍

Good luck, it is a total disaster if you get near the wrong driver.

Last edited:
BA489277-850F-4591-9DF4-74736BDCD628.jpeg

Victory in the Evo! Shouldn’t be too surprised really. Good to race with @D_Dragline too.

8B6AAD52-846E-4C80-95F5-2A5B3B23ABD9.jpeg

17A88342-B5E8-47D2-A269-378D8B0142AC.jpeg

Qualified 2nd and took lead on T1. From there just pulled away, broke the tow and built a big gap. Stayed out a couple of laps longer than I planned too as I could see gap wasn’t shrinking although was probably 1 lap too many. Came out the pits in 2nd and bump draft the guy and got orange SR down so no you can’t bump draft. He pitted next lap and I was back on my own.

Last edited:
They did allow bump drafting in my race. A few of us who could trust each other did it a bit, but it has to be the real gentle taps, and pretty much only on the straight. I did get one and give one in that turn 2 section, but both were by accident and wouldnt chance it again.

Also, happened to another guy in my race as well as to me, watch those pit exits. People are blasting out straight into traffic and messing people up. I only got it once, but the guy who beat me in a drag race to the line had it happen to him twice.

Door 10 Q4. Couldn’t get a full lap slipstreaming but a 43.1 without was good enough.

Ran a 10m/15h strat. Second entering the pits at lap 10. Came out in p15. After everyone pitted was back to second about 2.5s clear of 3rd but had no slip. The pack gobbled me up in the last 2 laps and I finished P6. 103 pts.

The race was pretty uneventful and the Evo is absolutely unstoppable in this event. @SmellMyCheese simply drove away from everything else without slipstream. Great racing with you man, sorry we couldn’t 1/2 for GTP.

I’m one and done but wish I had gone 2 more laps on mediums because the hards were shredded after 15 laps.

They did allow bump drafting in my race. A few of us who could trust each other did it a bit, but it has to be the real gentle taps, and pretty much only on the straight. I did get one and give one in that turn 2 section, but both were by accident and wouldnt chance it again.

Also, happened to another guy in my race as well as to me, watch those pit exits. People are blasting out straight into traffic and messing people up. I only got it once, but the guy who beat me in a drag race to the line had it happen to him twice.

so its a cruise up behind someone and tap... not the full torpedo hit for bumping?

You can bump draft in a straight line (this is essential), but any mid-corner contact means penalty

So if someone in front of you checks mid-corner and you hit them, that's the end of your race

I ran in the top 3 for half of the Top 16 Superstars race then fate intervened. Got a 1 second penalty in the final corner of the race for good measure too

It would help if lobby penalty sensitivity was the same as FIA races, but they aren't

9FA8FCDB-A79F-4D1E-AB20-E973A18CC11D.jpeg

The Pug is slow so knew it was going to have to be a slipstream race to stand a chance.

B867E2E2-2DE6-4FF4-977F-FC187484E691.jpeg

Qualified 10th so right in the mid pack. Race was actually really frustrating. The Jag in front of me kept braking for the last corner forcing me to slow down but I didn’t have the speed to get past (or bump draft enough) on the straights so we ended up losing tow and our pack falling behind. Pitted lap 11 and managed to get a draft buddy with a Ford Gt and we started catching the pack in front but the Jag reappeared from the pits just in front and killed off any chance of catching them back up. Was just ahead approaching the line but he had a draft and just beat me. Result is good enough though so not going again! You can draft if it’s nudging. Oh and the Evo got beat!

C3955E30-C624-4CAD-9DE9-73B33EA238EC.jpeg

Hope I don't fall asleep. Forgot had to pick up my Step-daughter from the airport. Plus, her flight was delayed. Pulled up to her house and we noticed the brake lights were on to her Honda HR-V *cue dun-dun-dunnnnnn*. Next, her front security door was locked. Had to get her Father to wake up and open the door. Well, all that stuff sorted and just missed the 21:20 race by 3 minutes.

Lord, help me through this night.
EpWz7MFU0AETqQa

Stayed away from everyone. Jesus, take the wheel...
EpW1ec5U0AE0vmq

Edit: Dagnabbit, Man!
EpW6-YYUYAAX6kh

Someone in an AMG cost me mad time. Player kept wanting to run side by side. Slowing us down. I;m faster in the corners. All it had to do was stay behind. I was gapping it since I stayed on RM for the first stint and after my pit. I ran crazy long to 15 laps on RM. No signs of slowing me down. I would have been way ahead of that 5th placed RX-V. It and a Huracan just clobbered the GT-R and both got 2 seconds for being wild.

The AMG slowed us down to allow the GT-R to catch up lap after lap. Then, The AMG decides to take the inside at T1. I stayed high. Was going fine and all it had to do was back off a touch. Nope. Rides me up to the wall. I hit the wall and connect with the AMG. AMG spears left. I get no penalty. GT-R goes by.

I was a couple seconds behiond the leader and saw my fuel flashing on Lap 23 with 1.1 laps to go. I pit. added a lap of fuel and RH tyres. May as well, my challenge was ruined. Braked early and pipped the Vantage for P8 at the line. I'll have that FL.

EpW7SI_VoAEeGln

Last edited:
What strategy are people running in the race? My instinct is to start on hards and finish on mediums for better performance with less fuel, but if the leading pack all start on mediums and pit early I'd be screwed. That's not to mention that running the hards to even lap 11 is a very trying experience.

What strategy are people running in the race? My instinct is to start on hards and finish on mediums for better performance with less fuel, but if the leading pack all start on mediums and pit early I'd be screwed. That's not to mention that running the hards to even lap 11 is a very trying experience.

My plan is hard for 12/13 laps (depending when people pit in front) and finish on medium.. its a chance im willing to take. If it doesnt work, thats what the other races are for.

View attachment 978524

The Pug is slow so knew it was going to have to be a slipstream race to stand a chance.

View attachment 978525

Qualified 10th so right in the mid pack. Race was actually really frustrating. The Jag in front of me kept braking for the last corner forcing me to slow down but I didn’t have the speed to get past (or bump draft enough) on the straights so we ended up losing tow and our pack falling behind. Pitted lap 11 and managed to get a draft buddy with a Ford Gt and we started catching the pack in front but the Jag reappeared from the pits just in front and killed off any chance of catching them back up. Was just ahead approaching the line but he had a draft and just beat me. Result is good enough though so not going again! You can draft if it’s nudging. Oh and the Evo got beat!

View attachment 978526

glad to see that Porsche in the top 3... ran one practice race last night and it was discouraging, but I am hopeful that the draft and tire management allow for the car to keep up even without the grunt of some of the other cars in the class. might need to find a draft partner to trust all race.

BTW, what is the typical time fall-off for the hards for most? I was only seeing -0.2 - 0.3... surprised me and the overlap was big... undercut seems to be a strategic option in the race

(edit: looking forward to running one race on my alt... the Corvette would seem to be a better weapon for a win... will be curious to see if I can do better with it than the Porsche, in a similar DR range lobby)

Last edited:
Manufacturers - BMB Speedway Gr.3

DoplUsY.jpg

Strategy: 15H-10M

My lap wasn't great, but at least I'm not at the back. And I didn't make a fool out of myself off the line like these guys did:

The Jag in 2nd, FT-1 in 13th and Viper in 16th all floored it off the start without TCS, putting themselves in the outer wall and getting penalties. The Lexus in 3rd either had to take evasive action dodging the Jag or made the exact same mistake, grazing the pit wall and dropping to 7th. The Spoon NSX overtook the Lexus and promptly understeered on cold tyres into Turn 1's exit for an penalty off the bat. I understeered off too, but kept it off the wall. The leading pack pulled away while I was left behind in the second pack.

Towards the end of my first stint, I paired up with a Porsche who bump-drafted me down the straights. Unfortunately, we ended up staying out too long, resulting in the leading pack catching up to us at the end of lap 14 after they had pitted. We both pitted on lap 15, dropping down to 9th and 10th. We resumed our bump-drafting to try and catch up to the others, but we were too far behind and I barely beat the Porsche in the drag race to the line to take 9th for 93 points.

Ip6WjjY.jpg
gBsa65e.jpg
BshEzJQ.jpg
YqKmRZq.jpg

I'm a bit disappointed I couldn't get further up the order, but I'm not risking another run. One and done. Now to prepare for the Bathurst Demo Derby....

Excited for BMB as I'm usually good in these races. My first qualifying lap is a lucky one, starting just inside a double slipstream and finished just behind the pair. The Ferrari behind me get 2nd with the lap as well.

1.jpg

I saw the Ferrari changed to Hard before qualifying end, so I started with Medium to try to spread the leading group thin with plan to pit around lap 11/12.

The race went even better than planned, as the 2nd is 0.5 second back on lap 2 and out of my slipstream by lap 4 and I therefore virtually time trialling by myself while they are battling behind.

By lap 11 with a ~5 second lead, tyres are quite dead but I decided to delay my pit till lap 13 as I'm worried about traffic. After all pitting is done, I've left with a 3 second lead and only need to cruise and not hitting a wall. While the lead gradually diminish, it kept hovering around 2.5 seconds in the last 5 laps.

A boring race for me as there is no battle at all, but I'll take my first 200+ points!

2.jpg

3.jpg

Hi! Question: how is Corvette on fuel in this race? Do I have to shorshift or play with FM?

You will have 1 lap of fuel left even if push flat out.

Going to be interesting, people asking about bump drafting. 1 guy in an R8 actually trying to race me during qualifying. So no slipstream for me. Starting p14, but anything can happen as long as Audi britches doesnt try to bottle everyone up

Race Report: Audi what? Yeah, so started p14, 2 drivers spin out on cold tires at the start, so think about TC1 for the first turn.

Yeah, I catch Audi driver, we are steady in the pack and then he takes the same wrong line into turn 1 he kept doing in qually, hits the wall like I knew. Only I was keeping hard inside, he just clips my rear anyway, 3 seconds for hitting another car. To add insult to that, our contact saved him, and he adds to it by pushing me into the wall in the final turn for another 1.5 seconds.

I meet up with another driver at the back and we bump draft near some stragglers and 2 stoppers. As we are nearing lap 10 Mr. Audi exits the pits, I brake early as he is merging with a pack. He has managed to pull directly in front of me and braked way early as well, right as he unghosts. I was braking early assuming this would happen, but it wasn't early enough. So I get 2 seconds, plus another added for good measure as it caused the game to assume I brake checked the guy behind me.

So 7.5 seconds for driving near this glue sniffing paint chip eating 'driver.'

Ended p17. Audi was p9 and calling me dirty.

I dunno, I had speed, but it seemed like everything was against me in the race. Gassing it to exit pits as early as possible and they exit me into no-mans land. Tried to run my qualifying and this guy kept diving and pushing me wide, then he got mad when his late dive around the outside of the final turn ended in the wall when we bumped. Never mind him pushing me into the wall. I even re entered the pits and came out to try to get space, and got started right behind them again.

Most guys seemed to be driving clean but my luck was long gone here despite having a faster car.

On the plus side my SR only went down about 13 despite all that 🤬. And some bump drafting seems allowed.:cheers:👍

Good luck, it is a total disaster if you get near the wrong driver.
You're far kinder than me. If my race was already ruined, I would've just sent it into T1 as he was coming out of the pits, then put him in the wall for good measure, since apparently that won't get you an SR deduction...:rolleyes:
Excited for BMB as I'm usually good in these races. My first qualifying lap is a lucky one, starting just inside a double slipstream and finished just behind the pair. The Ferrari behind me get 2nd with the lap as well.

View attachment 978554

I saw the Ferrari changed to Hard before qualifying end, so I started with Medium to try to spread the leading group thin with plan to pit around lap 11/12.

The race went even better than planned, as the 2nd is 0.5 second back on lap 2 and out of my slipstream by lap 4 and I therefore virtually time trialling by myself while they are battling behind.

By lap 11 with a ~5 second lead, tyres are quite dead but I decided to delay my pit till lap 13 as I'm worried about traffic. After all pitting is done, I've left with a 3 second lead and only need to cruise and not hitting a wall. While the lead gradually diminish, it kept hovering around 2.5 seconds in the last 5 laps.

A boring race for me as there is no battle at all, but I'll take my first 200+ points!

View attachment 978555

View attachment 978556

You will have 1 lap of fuel left even if push flat out.
Ok I'm liking my odds even more in the Corvette now! I actually ran out of fuel just before the finish though when practicing by myself.
Manufacturers - BMB Speedway Gr.3

DoplUsY.jpg

Strategy: 15H-10M

My lap wasn't great, but at least I'm not at the back. And I didn't make a fool out of myself off the line like these guys did:

The Jag in 2nd, FT-1 in 13th and Viper in 16th all floored it off the start without TCS, putting themselves in the outer wall and getting penalties. The Lexus in 3rd either had to take evasive action dodging the Jag or made the exact same mistake, grazing the pit wall and dropping to 7th. The Spoon NSX overtook the Lexus and promptly understeered on cold tyres into Turn 1's exit for an penalty off the bat. I understeered off too, but kept it off the wall. The leading pack pulled away while I was left behind in the second pack.

Towards the end of my first stint, I paired up with a Porsche who bump-drafted me down the straights. Unfortunately, we ended up staying out too long, resulting in the leading pack catching up to us at the end of lap 14 after they had pitted. We both pitted on lap 15, dropping down to 9th and 10th. We resumed our bump-drafting to try and catch up to the others, but we were too far behind and I barely beat the Porsche in the drag race to the line to take 9th for 93 points.

Ip6WjjY.jpg
gBsa65e.jpg
BshEzJQ.jpg
YqKmRZq.jpg

I'm a bit disappointed I couldn't get further up the order, but I'm not risking another run. One and done. Now to prepare for the Bathurst Demo Derby....

Wait what? Why is the rolling start in the open lobby so much faster than the FIA race?! The lobby races start you at literally twice the speed in 2nd gear...

Last edited:
Back