2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
0D593F91-A9CE-4B10-92DF-6CCE1B609581.jpeg

I’m very pleased with this result. Qualified 6th and on T2 someone hit me into the wall and I picked up a 1.5 second penalty. Almost felt like giving up there and then. Fell back to 13th but was back up to 6th by lap 7. Got a little rowdy at one point so decided to pit a lap early to get out before I got caught up in something. Settled into a group of 3 for remainder of the race. Almost snatched a podium with the car in front picking up a pen on final corner. Picked up fastest lap too for a nice bonus :gtpflag:

9193A3A2-A222-4163-B6E9-86A6C025A284.jpeg

41BBEEC9-5127-441A-BF24-76432F02DECA.jpeg

Let this video serve as a further warning about wheel spin at the start. I had to feel for the Spaniard. That's a serious amount of penalties to accumulate before your get to the start line.

Personally managed 12th to 8th. Was hunting for 6th before I got sloppy nudging someone in T1 and getting a 1s penalty. Penalties make and break this race.

I saw @VulcanSpirit out there who I think started behind the spinning Spaniard not doing his slipstream any favours at all.

I got lucky. Managed to get a good slipstream in qualification, so started 4th. Then the front 5 cars managed to build a gap of around 2.5 secs to the main pack behind, so instantly the race became much more manageable (5 cars against 15 cars is much easier).

Stayed with the lead pack until lap 12 when 2 guys pitted, and then I pitted on lap 13. Unfortunately that 1 lap difference just dropped me out of the front 2 racers slipstream and they were working well together. I worked with the guy in 4th, but he was on hards so I had to take the lead and he bumped me when he could. Worked ok, but we only caught the leaders on lap 24, and I was a short of fuel by that point, as I had to push to catch them, so not much I could do. Ran out of fuel on the final straight to the line and coasted in for 4th and 266 points.

Fun race but you need so much luck in quali and in the race itself, so one and done for me.

Well I don't know what to do, when I try "Test Connection Quality" I get "Go Away I'm not Talking To You" so do I risk it or wait till later? OH nevermind it's working now and my connection is good. Although for some reason it won't let me enter the 17:20, says something about a DR rating of S or higher.

Went from 10th to 2nd for my 2nd 2nd of the Manu.
At the start I lost a place being conservative in turn 1. (I was expecting more chaos.)
They did bring the chaos lap 2 coming out of turn 1. A couple of cars pushed into the wall and some penalties meant I got up to 6th.
That's where I stayed until cars pitted on lap 8. That got me up to 4th. The two leaders came past and I let them go grabbing some slipstream. Pitted on lap 13 for my hard tyres. Came back out in 6th. But quickly passed a struggling Dutchman. I was able to keep pace with an Austrian in a Mazda who served a penalty eventually having a small and fair battle. Coming into the penultimate lap he kissed the barrier at turn 1 and I got passed. This also allowed me into the slip of the Beetle in 3rd. An easy pass at the next turn. The Mazda and Beetle fought allowing me to get a small gap for the last lap.
Crossed the line for an unexpected podium. I gazed up at the top corner to see I was 2nd. There were a few tyre penalties (So some tried the challenge.) but I thought they all finished behind me. Either someone gave up on 2nd or I misread the who got the penalties. Either way happy with the points for 2nd. This manu season is going well so far in my Beamer. (Cue the next race mess.)
I think the differing cars help prevent this becoming a destruction race (except maybe the first few laps) in the fact that during the race the car advantages show.
A Ferrari won this one which shows anybody can do it.

Well I don't know what to do, when I try "Test Connection Quality" I get "Go Away I'm not Talking To You" so do I risk it or wait till later? OH nevermind it's working now and my connection is good. Although for some reason it won't let me enter the 17:20, says something about a DR rating of S or higher.
5.20 is top 16 race only. 5.30 is slot for the rest of us :)

Not fast enough???? I'm No.1 in my area!!!! No it's all good, but I am No.1 would have thought there would be someone else here playing but no.
The 16 top players in your region get to play the top 16.
I am number 1 in my area too, probably the only one playing here.
There are people from GTP that can get in. You have to have made it to DR S and then you have to be among top 16 for the region. As in North America, or in EMEA, or Asia.

OK I have to go again, couldn't decide what the strategy should be and ended up on hards to start, did a little fuel saving and was nicely in 8th getting close to my pit, when some idiots slams me against the wall and my race is over. Came last except for the guy who didn't pit correctly. It's not a really good race, but I think I could get a good finish if I'm a little more careful about avoiding idiots.

Missed race 1, but entered 2. No slipstream and I started 13th. Worked my way upto the front pack of 5 and stayed there until the last lap. Mugged everyone at turn1 and some how kept the lead. 1st by a bumper.
Well chuffed, but wasn't looking to get a good result straight away as I wanted a few more races.. but I will take it

Welp, never forgetting this one. I tried streaming it like I usually do, but something was not working. YouTube was just constantly saying it's not receiving enough video which is weird, because I haven't changed any settings.

I was in with @LVS_1986 and managed to squeeze into a slipstream on the flying lap to close right up to the car in front without really having to slow down, which put me on pole. Started on the Hards, and had an instant gap because P2 and P3 spun out immediately on the start!

From there a Mazda was slowly chasing me down before eventually getting into my slipstream. I pit on lap 13 to try to undercut him and wound up a couple of seconds ahead because I think he emerged in traffic. But then a few laps later my computer crashed or something, and all my screens went blank. The HDMI passthrough on my Elgato stopped, so I was looking at a TV with no signal and praying it would come back. Thankfully, I was on the back straight when it happened and the picture did come back before it was too late. I lost a bit of time from the panic, so the Mazda got back into my slipstream.

From there it was a tooth and nail fight with the Mazda, and I managed to slip it up on the inside and get the line just right to stop him getting a good run out of the corner on the last lap. Won it by less than a tenth!!
Gran Turismo™SPORT_20201216180458.jpg

I guess now I'm going to have to record the replay manually and upload that instead. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
242550D4-0E14-4CAA-B83F-8F078A9C93CE.jpeg

After last weeks DR reset agony I decided to try and start over again. Did a few dailies to get my SR back to S and increase my DR a little.

592D63ED-D6F6-4D64-899C-DDE3BC626151.jpeg

Starting 6th, 3 of us managed to break away and form a large gap. I was being nudged along so was in front the whole time. Pitted lap 12 for Hards and got followed in by the other 2. Coming out the pits, I got a better exit on T1 and broke the tow. From there managed to extend my lead as I had more speed than the RSR behind. My 3rd ever FIA win and 2 of those wins are now on this combo so it’s a favourite of mine. A good start to building my rating back up :)

Last edited:
Manu race 1

Qualified in P6, wasn't too upset with that. Unfortunately, got stuck with a group that didn't want to work together. The leader basically ran away with the race.
Lag issues, I punted a driver on the last lap and got a 3s penalty, but waited for the driver. Thankfully he didn't lose any positions. Finished P6. SR went from 99 down to 77.

Decided to hop in to daily race C and try regain SR. Cruised around, SR back up to 95.

Manu Race 2

Qualified well. Just got in the slipstream on the final straight, got pole.
Started on the medium tyres, unfortunately the guys in P2 and P3 weren't keen on working together. So I dropped back and was bump drafting whoever I could. The 3 of us pulled out a nice gap. I went in to the pit on L11.
Came out of the pit, P4, chasing the leading 3 cars.
By the time they had come outta the pits. I was up to P1, with a 2s gap. Held it for 14 laps.

Not the most points, but happy with the win.. First FIA win.

Hopped in the 5.30 slot, quali 5th. Taken out while in 3rd on L23 finish p18. Lost SR from getting wrecked as well. Go again. Quali p2. Kicked at the start of the race. Oval tracks don't exactly offer much skillful racing imo anyway. Don't think I'll enter again. Not much fun to be had here.

Got a DR reset too for the GTS servers dropping me even though I had fine connection on a wire. Figures. From A/S to C/E. I rarely complain about the penalty system, and I think it's a necessary evil, but this is nonsensical. Never had an SR below S since like 2018.

edit: I should specify, oval racing with Gran Turismo's rule set

Last edited:
Yes @watto79, I started behind the spinning Spaniard, but came very close to binning it myself! :lol: Here's a summary of my run in the 16:00:

16:00 Manufacturers

So, I had faith going into the matchmaking screen that I would be competitive as long as slipstreaming and tyre strategies worked out in my favour. The GT LM felt just right and proved capable of setting a 42.5 in qualifying practice. If things worked out, this would have been enough for me to start on the second row and thus challenge for victory.

Unfortunately, that wasn't to be the case.

First flier got compromised when I left room for two Lambos and a Beetle to take the inside at Turn 2. Reset to the pits after accidentally hitting the blue and green Lambo at the start of the next one, then received two penalties for light contact with the M6 behind me in the middle of and on the exit of Turn 1. Exit to pits. This was especially maddening considering that I had found a good slipstreaming partner in one of the Vipers coming round on my out lap. Third attempt I was too far back to get the slipstream I needed, but managed to improve with a 43.115 to line up 16th.

Found @Mistah_MCA's guides as useful as always when it came to tyre strategy, so ran on Hards first in the hope of getting that extra burst of pace in the second half. For whatever reason, I somehow had the controller tilting to the right upon the race starting; resulting in my rears lighting up and the GT pitching towards the barrier. Never did this in any of my practice lobbies so this added another layer to my frustration. Unlike the Spaniard in the Corvette, however, I was able to straighten up and keep going, and his plight cancelled out the momentum I lost to the Lambo and Vipers behind. Picked off a couple of places from two Beetles, one of whom was unlucky to hit me as I scraped the Turn 1 barrier on Lap 3. Though the contact wasn't serious enough to stop us carrying on, he received a 2-second penalty which dropped him well out of reach of our group. The battle by this time was for 13th, the Mercedes starting in 2nd having disconnected and been forced to retire earlier on.

Absorbed many bump drafts from the Spanish Viper while gradually reeling in a white/green Lambo and a red Corvette, who themselves had dropped back as a result of separate penalties. Other than misjudging my braking on Lap 10 and accidentally nudging the Lambo through Turn 1 (which to my surprise we escaped without penalty), the racing was fairly close and not too aggressive. The Lambo dropped out of our group after rubbing side-by-side with the Corvette and receiving a 1-second penalty a lap later, at which point others had started their pit cycles. I followed the Corvette in on Lap 13, though he himself would pick up another penalty and drop far back. Fortunately, I was close enough to one of the two Beetles to gain their slipstream, before dispatching the other on pure pace coming out of Turn 3. Another penalty - this time for the Spanish Audi - meant that with ten laps remaining I had fought up to P11.

Mistah_MCA's advice paid off; consistent low-to-mid 43s and more slowdowns up front brought me closer to Watto as well as the Austrian Peugeot and Spanish Viper fighting for 9th. The Viper was cleared effortlessly; the Peugeot traded places for a while, but eventually stopped fighting and fell back after grazing the Turn 1 barrier. Found out later on that he had much less fuel at that stage and ran out completely over the line despite short-shifting. Both spots gained, and another uphill climb to the top 10 completed.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20201216163501.png

Leaving this result as it is as I don't want to risk the frustration of enduring another poor qualifying run. On reflection, I'm sure that a podium or even a race win would have been doable, but despite the SR drop I feel better now that I've picked up another consistent finish and had some fierce but mostly respectful battles. Also good to know that after my 3rd place on the Infield A circuit in the main season, the GT LM can race just as well on the Speedway under the right circumstances (and why wouldn't it?).

Yes @watto79, I started behind the spinning Spaniard, but came very close to binning it myself! :lol: Here's a summary of my run in the 16:00:

16:00 Manufacturers

So, I had faith going into the matchmaking screen that I would be competitive as long as slipstreaming and tyre strategies worked out in my favour. The GT LM felt just right and proved capable of setting a 42.5 in qualifying practice. If things worked out, this would have been enough for me to start on the second row and thus challenge for victory.

Unfortunately, that wasn't to be the case.

First flier got compromised when I left room for two Lambos and a Beetle to take the inside at Turn 2. Reset to the pits after accidentally hitting the blue and green Lambo at the start of the next one, then received two penalties for light contact with the M6 behind me in the middle of and on the exit of Turn 1. Exit to pits. This was especially maddening considering that I had found a good slipstreaming partner in one of the Vipers coming round on my out lap. Third attempt I was too far back to get the slipstream I needed, but managed to improve with a 43.115 to line up 16th.

Found @Mistah_MCA's guides as useful as always when it came to tyre strategy, so ran on Hards first in the hope of getting that extra burst of pace in the second half. For whatever reason, I somehow had the controller tilting to the right upon the race starting; resulting in my rears lighting up and the GT pitching towards the barrier. Never did this in any of my practice lobbies so this added another layer to my frustration. Unlike the Spaniard in the Corvette, however, I was able to straighten up and keep going, and his plight cancelled out the momentum I lost to the Lambo and Vipers behind. Picked off a couple of places from two Beetles, one of whom was unlucky to hit me as I scraped the Turn 1 barrier on Lap 3. Though the contact wasn't serious enough to stop us carrying on, he received a 2-second penalty which dropped him well out of reach of our group. The battle by this time was for 13th, the Mercedes starting in 2nd having disconnected and been forced to retire earlier on.

Absorbed many bump drafts from the Spanish Viper while gradually reeling in a white/green Lambo and a red Corvette, who themselves had dropped back as a result of separate penalties. Other than misjudging my braking on Lap 10 and accidentally nudging the Lambo through Turn 1 (which to my surprise we escaped without penalty), the racing was fairly close and not too aggressive. The Lambo dropped out of our group after rubbing side-by-side with the Corvette and receiving a 1-second penalty a lap later, at which point others had started their pit cycles. I followed the Corvette in on Lap 13, though he himself would pick up another penalty and drop far back. Fortunately, I was close enough to one of the two Beetles to gain their slipstream, before dispatching the other on pure pace coming out of Turn 3. Another penalty - this time for the Spanish Audi - meant that with ten laps remaining I had fought up to P11.

Mistah_MCA's advice paid off; consistent low-to-mid 43s and more slowdowns up front brought me closer to Watto as well as the Austrian Peugeot and Spanish Viper fighting for 9th. The Viper was cleared effortlessly; the Peugeot traded places for a while, but eventually stopped fighting and fell back after grazing the Turn 1 barrier. Found out later on that he had much less fuel at that stage and ran out completely over the line despite short-shifting. Both spots gained, and another uphill climb to the top 10 completed.

View attachment 978621

Leaving this result as it is as I don't want to risk the frustration of enduring another poor qualifying run. On reflection, I'm sure that a podium or even a race win would have been doable, but despite the SR drop I feel better now that I've picked up another consistent finish and had some fierce but mostly respectful battles. Also good to know that after my 3rd place on the Infield A circuit in the main season, the GT LM can race just as well on the Speedway under the right circumstances (and why wouldn't it?).
I think the reason you lit up your tires at the start when you had no problems in practice is because in the lobbies you start in 2nd gear at 75 mph, where as in the FIA race you're doing half that speed in first gear. Not to mention tires are colder due to the longer wait at the start.

Last edited:
Back