2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
10RS/1RM/1RH/8RS.

Eqtldl7VoAA8GGK

Early stops by some on Lap 5 with the RS. A couple pitted on lap 7-8. After P2 pit, I had a 10 second gap that grew to 16 seconds and down to 9 seconds when I pit for RM. I still came out 2.4 seconds ahead of P2. Pit next lap for RH. Dropped 5 seconds behind P2 and 7 seconds to P1.
Caught back up in the same lap. Pit for my RS. Same lap, caught and overtook P2 by the tunnel into Four Weddings and a Funeral. Caught P1 as they entered the pits. Brought it home.

The R8 had pit with 5 laps to go for another set of RS. It dropped behind the AMG, but passed it a couple laps later.

Still struggle with this track. Got into a pretty regular lobby of people I race plenty. Qualified p14. Started on mediums and half the people wrecked or ran off lap 1. I was up to p11by the end of the lap, including getting passed by 2 behind me starting on softs. Ran 9M/4H/7S. The only sketchy lap I had was the last lap on mediums.
Ended p12 after a good back and forth battle with a couple. Surprised I was up there, but everyone else kept sending it at the chicane and the 4 brothers so I would just keep it on track and gain the spot back. Points counted and everything.
Good luck and good driving:cheers::gtpflag:

So won an okay split, 180 odd points on a two stop. Most everyone else did 3. Got pole which was nice. Absolutely no idea how though. The Honda was a lottery which way it'd point going through the last chicane, I was losing 2 tenths easy on everyone else. And on worn tires was an absolute handful.

I feel like the car makes me a better driver though, my tendencies always had me preferring RWD.

I ended up doing all 3 slots.

2nd slot was the weirdest drop split I’ve ever seen. Me (A/S), a B/S and 18 D/S drivers. The race was hard fought between me and the B/S driver but my 2 stop was superior to his 3 stop and I held on by just under 2 seconds for my first ever FIA victory (and just 23 points).

3rd slot back in regular lobby with @SmellMyCheese and door 5. Qualified 12th after having to lift to avoid running into the back of the driver who qualified 19th. Started on mediums and did 9 laps. Big mistake as I got sketchy on the 9th lap and lost a couple of seconds and tumbled from 8th to 12th. Then ran 3 on hards and started my last stint in 17th. Worked up to 10th as opponents pitted and served penalties still in 10th with 2 laps to go the pack started to descend and a couple of “accidental” taps from behind and then an unquestionably intentional push off at T1 on the last lap saw me drop to 13th. My dying tyres meant that @SmellMyCheese was making serious ground through the last lap but I was lucky enough to hold on for 13th a few tenths in front. Highest points haul of the night, just 73.

This will not be a round that counts for me this season. Goodbye and good riddance to that damn track.

Awful track and awful race! Got held up on both qualifying laps by the same car and ended up starting 17th.

Started on Hards and went for 1H/5M/7S/7S. Any chance of making ground after first pit stop was undone when someone went for some crazy move round the outside of me at those awful left handers, brushed my car as he lost the back of his car in the dust and gave me a 4 second penalty. Absolute joke of a penalty. Managed to get onto the back of a group of cars from 9th to 14th which included @D_Dragline towards the end of the race but I twice went wide on those left turns and also picked up another 1 second penalty for tapping the back of someone so blew it. @D_Dragline was right in front on the last corner but Evo has no pace on the straights. Finished 14th. Waste of time really!

Last edited:
Awful track and awful race! Got held up on both qualifying laps by the same car and ended up starting 17th.

Started on Hards and went for 1H/5M/7S/7S. Any chance of making ground after first pit stop was undone when someone went for some crazy move round the outside of me at those awful left handers, brushed my car as he lost the back of his car in the dust and gave me a 4 second penalty. Absolute joke of a penalty. Managed to get onto the back of a group of cars from 9th to 14th which included @D_Dragline towards the end of the race but I twice went wide on those left turns and also picked up another 1 second penalty for tapping the back of someone so blew it. @D_Dragline was right in front on the last corner but Evo has no pace on the straights. Finished 14th. Waste of time really!
How was fuel? The WRX and two Jags in my races, had the worse fuel economy. The WRX was flashing red for the last two laps and the Jags were halfway between 1/4 and empty.

I’m surprised the WRX is this thirsty. The Vantage had 2+ laps left and it’s usually a guzzler.
WRX(maybe too much drag?)
Equp-RpVkAEZWfV

One of the JAgs
Equqf8-UUAEmeBX

Fun facts:
- Everyone but Me(MT, TCS 0) and the last place RSR(MT, TCS 0), used AT.
- 7 of the 19 cars had TCS engaged
- One player, in the DBR9, had AT, ABS Off, TCS 0 and had the best fuel economy, with well over 1/4 tank left(no fuel added during the race); second best fuel economy were the RSRs(a fraction over 1/4), followed by the McLaren F1(a hair below the RSRs); Same fuel remaining(1/4) were: my RX-V, AMG GT3s and an M3

Last edited:
After a practice race of ragging the GT-R I had 7 laps left.

After the same practice race I'm trying very hard to convince myself to not run 3 soft stints of 6/6/6. Mediums feel like I'm driving on glass.

Even if meds are competitive, the fact you feel uncomfortable with them is a good enough reason to do that. For me, I'm so bad I can do roughly the same time on either so might go for the 2 stop, but things change under race conditions so I'll probably see how I go first time and then decide on my best strategy for the second run....who knows something might actually work for me?????

D11 Q9 and I decided to mix it up with tactics....then forgot to change tyres so on softs and going to wing it. Went OK till last lap when got punted so went from 9th to 11th. Not a good race, not much fun think I'll just call it. Did 6S/1H/7M/6S and honestly I was about a sec down on the meds so 3 runs on softs would probably be the best for me, the meds were OK, but needed more care and the hards were a joke.

Qualifying was a bit crazy in my race - we got the pit exit bug! :lol:

I was second out, but pulled over because the Nissan who was first out seemed very slow. Then unfortunately when I got going again, I found myself getting stuck right up behind a Porsche who was also very slow. :banghead: I quit out mid-flying lap in a desperate attempt to get some clean air since there was enough time for another outlap. Thankfully that ended up being good enough for P4. The Nissan and Porsche ended up starting P16 and P17, so as frustrating as it was to only get one shot I definitely made the right decision both times.

I went 7S/5M/1H/7S and had a nice bit of back-and-forth with a Peugeot who I kept undercutting. I was really struggling to get the Mustang around some of the long bends though due to the understeer, so I was a bit of a sitting duck with the Peugeot in my slipstream and it passed me into turn 1 on every stint. Ended up P5 with a clean race bonus, so taking that and running! 👍

Last edited:
AE9746E1-0B93-4ACD-AE04-22BDF0EA219F.jpeg

Thought I was gonna get disconnected again as sat on the white ‘final’ page for over a minute.

Qualified 6th and went for a 2 stop starting on Softs and was up into 3rd by lap 3. Was leading by lap 6 after cars in front pitted. Swapped for Hards lap 8 and came out in 3rd. Pitted again lap 12 for Mediums and accidentally put on Softs again :banghead: Forced to stop again for mediums lap 18. Would have got a podium if I hadn’t have done that. Happy with 4th though on this nasty track!

First up, there's a guy who's been in some of my races recently who jumps the start.

It happened here:

And it happened here:

(Bonus points to the penalty system for giving the car in front a penalty)

What's going on?

Interesting how this Peugeot seems to like stopping in front of you during the auto drive sequence, no matter how many positions further forward you qualified. :lol:

That's utterly bizarre!

EDIT - Turns out I had the Peugeot in my race, and it did the same thing there too!

Last edited:
View attachment 982306
Thought I was gonna get disconnected again as sat on the white ‘final’ page for over a minute.
I've had that before. Must be down to someone's red bar I guess.

First up, there's a guy who's been in some of my races recently who jumps the start.

It happened here:

And it happened here:

(Bonus points to the penalty system for giving the car in front a penalty)

What's going on?

Must be more of that KGB tech I encountered last week. And seriously, nice parking on the bank at Willow. I couldn't do that if I tried.

As for my race. Managed to qualify 4th. I put in a 32.8 on my first lap which I wasn't expecting as in practice and in a custom race I was doing 33's.
I was second initially but fell to 4th. So very happy.

I did a 7S/1H/7M/5S
Got an o.k. start and was on the back of the Mustang ahead. My car seemed to follow it wide coming out of 'Istanbul'; (I shall call it that as it is a copy of turn 8 at Istanbul Park) wiggled a bit but no issue. Then coming into the following right-hander I went wide as did the Corvette ahead. Whilst it didn't feel like it I must have been tapped from behind as an AMG that I didn't realise was behind me until after I went off got a 2 second penalty. Was in 6th behind the Corvette until the next lap. He went wide at Istanbul and clipped me in his spin. Yup, you guessed it, 2 seconds for me. This allowed the AMG to retake my position and then I pitted for tyres at the end of 7. Got rid of my Hards straight up. On my second lap of Mediums I understeered at the third apex of Istanbul and spun. This put me down to 17th. I picked up a few places due to pit stops and by being faster then those towards the back. (Doesn't happen often) Was able to keep things on the black stuff and took my final pit stop. I climbed up a few more places and crossed the line 7th. This automatically became 4th due to tyre penalties. I know I'm in a lower lobby but these people must have done a few FIA races by now and must realise they have to use the mandatory tyres. Not that I'm complaining. :lol:
Good result and my highest points of the season. Not risking them again.

Checked my Kudos and I gained 1027 DR and I am clawing at the ceiling of DR B. Well until I race tomorrow and fall promptly back down.

B03A8E3C-7520-48A7-886B-23B90A9085D8.jpeg

I know it’s only 9th but I’m delighted with that!!! :gtpflag:

Saw that I needed 12th or higher to improve my points and then qualified in 18th out of 19 with what I thought was a decent lap! Thought I’d ruined it before I’d even started! Opted to start on Hards for 1 lap and then Mediums for 5 laps. Paid off finishing on a double stint of Softs. Managed a whole race without a mistake or being shafted by another driver :lol:👍

Put it on pole by 0.1s, and after lap 2 I had built a 1.5s lead that I kept extending, which was helped greatly by everyone else being on 3+ stop strategies. I started on softs and ran them until lap 7 when me and P2 both pitted, threw on mediums and kept comfortably ahead until I pitted on lap 17, ran the remaining three laps on hards and was losing ground to P2 steadily and if it had been one lap longer I would've had to defend my position.

Starting on pole/front rows I think a S/M/H two-stopper is fairly unbeatable if your car can handle the wear well enough.

One and done. This is a track I really enjoy and it shows.

Attachments

• PS_App_20210102_053603.jpeg
    PS_App_20210102_053603.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 12
I got a 2s penalty for a car swerving from off track across the full width to the apex in the quad-left, and a 2s penalty for a car hitting my side in the final turn, then going into the pits.

And finished 2.5s off the podium.

Hmmmm... this one is probably not going to go well for me!

I'm useless at Gardens in either direction. I'm usually good at making tyres last, so I'm just going to start on mediums, briefly use the hards and run softs for the final stint. We'll see how that serves me and the Viper!

I'm live here for my attempt, which will be a one and done affair in any circumstance as I have a league race coming up! I will actually be getting a few laps of practice under my belt for once, though.

Last edited:
Back