2020 FIA Series Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by GTPNewsWire, Jun 1, 2020.

1. RacingGrandpa

RacingGrandpa

One in the parking lot so you can watch as a spectator. It's going to be a mess!

05XR8, PirovacBoy, OR_2020 and 17 others like this.
  2. SlowDriver87

SlowDriver87

Was just thinking the same.

The Evo and Impreza are dominating the practice times. Maybe that’s due to the high probability that you’ll end up in the sand at some point?

Edit: just seen we’re back to hard tyres only at Fuji for the Manu. Whhhyyyyy???

wedjim, Razgriz2118, Pigems and 5 others like this.
  3. GTWolverine

GTWolverine

Wheel user here, and I was also off pace from where I "should've" been, just barely getting under 2 minutes with a high 1:59.9, but based on my typical performance, I should've been in the mid 1:58s. I didn't even attempt last night's race due to my lack of pace combined with not having time to practice the strategy. I might've been able to find more speed if I'd had more time to practice (literally only drove for 30 minutes after I finished the last Nations race, and I'd never properly learned this track before this in the first place). It might've been the Corvette not agreeing with a track that's almost exclusively medium-speed corners, even though the flow of the track would probably agree with my driving style.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    wedjim, Razgriz2118, Pigems and 2 others like this.
  4. Timm Sheehan

Timm Sheehan

The one that sticks to the road AND is wheel driven . . . haha.

Pigems and Kermit_2142 like this.
  5. GTWolverine

GTWolverine

And with 3x tire wear? Even the Mediums would probably have no issue making it the full race.

6. KosmoKazi

KosmoKazi

Guessing it's another 'heat check' by PD for BoP monitoring... lots of laps on the Hards without tire degradation to impact the lap times. I'm convinced this is a factor in some of these FIA races. They need to see data from laps in anger and with fuel burn, to inform the BoP updates.

7. Lewmatic

Lewmatic

Couldn't get a good qualifying time and started at 13th. Coming downhill on the rolling start help for some early momentum but still had to deal with mid pack racing which I didnt want to deal with as there was some minor bumping and rubbing as expected. A lot of close racing but close battles slows down momentum which is what I didnt want on this track that. Didn't get in the top 5 this time but managed to stay in the top ten at P9.

8. SlowDriver87

SlowDriver87

At this stage I'm wondering if Polyphony are just messing with us. That last sector in particular is pure hell in hards. I wish they'd at least do the short version without the chicane to make it slightly less painful. I'm hoping I get put in another lobby where I'm door number 18-20 so I can start from the back without losing DR as that first turn is chaos.

Or this, which is far beyond my comprehension!

9. Hasnain282

Hasnain282

I don't think they were expecting to make BoP changes when they came up with schedule, I guess they were just going for a variety of races between flat out and fuel or tyre saving.
    Though with the dailies you could say they're testing BoP (especially Gr.4 at Red Bull Ring next week)

wedjim, Razgriz2118, Pigems and 3 others like this.
  10. ivann

ivann

nah nah they just need to add 80ish hp so it can be similar weight to power ratio

Pigems and Granadier like this.
  11. GTWolverine

GTWolverine

Actually now that I think about it, the fast horseshoe and the constant braking-while-turning torture chamber that is the final sector could actually wear these tires more than I thought, though the Hards should still have plenty of life left.

Pigems and x5abotagex86 like this.
  12. MIE1992

MIE1992

You say "It's going to be a mess!" but I'm reading that as "Free positions as long as you drive competently enough." Alright then, I'll pick the WRX.

13. SlowDriver87

SlowDriver87

I thought this when I did the Willow Springs International Raceway Manu race, until I binned it on the last corner of the last lap, two races in a row.

14. RacingGrandpa

RacingGrandpa

The thing is that Streets of Willow puts you at the mercy of others...

15. KosmoKazi

KosmoKazi

Yeah, if I had to pick another weekend to miss a round of FIA races, the likely punt-fest at the Streets of Willow and the SR sucker (for me) that is Fuji would be the one to skip... I've just never been able to compete there, in any formula.

but: I'm hopeful I can run that upcoming F-1500 race... I'm curious and expect it'll be a fun one. Anyone have experience racing in anger with those cars? I assume there is little room for tons of contact as the speed variations are high/low and the gap to better drivers is probably steep...

And: we should be a day or two away from the Stage 3 schedule and announcement, right? The Stage 2 schedule was released 11 days before the first event, and tomorrow would put us at that window, I think?

Razgriz2118, Pigems and GTWolverine like this.
  16. GTWolverine

GTWolverine

I've raced that car quite a bit. In the most "recent" FIA race with the (Nurb GP well over a year ago), I remember being about 6s slower than the top time, so yeah I'd say that's pretty steep :lol:. I thought I'd be in trouble but gave it a go anyway. I had one of the lowest numbers in the race, against other DR A/A+ drivers, but qualified 4th and immediately inherited 3rd after they spun as soon as auto drive disengaged (it was a rolling start). After that it was a lonely race until I briefly overtook 2nd after they got a penalty, until I also get a penalty and they overtook me and I finished 3rd.

Now about the car itself: in stock trim (you can tune it for this race), it's extremely stable under braking and turn in. The only difficult thing about driving it is its peaky '80s turbo torque curve. It's nothing, nothing, nothing, then ALL THE POWER IN THE WORLD!

17. Odiesback

Odiesback

Oh noooo... just realized that is Fuji for next Manu race... I really dislike that track... :yuck:

On the flip side, that might have just freed up my Saturday night :D

Granadier, wedjim, KosmoKazi and 5 others like this.
  18. Mistah_MCA

Mistah_MCA Premium

I'm reading "meme racing" :mischievous:

I'm hearing that the Subuwu and the Evo are good here. Since you will need to dip part of the car into the sand to get good times, their AWD nature should easily keep the car from doing anything silly.

Now to test if 2 or 3 stop is the way to go...

E: Tested on the WRX. 3 stop was 1 second faster for me. Only problem is that you'll likely pit out into traffic for any strategies. :(

For 2 stop, I went 8s/8s/1m. I shifted when the bar was 85-90% full, and had about 1.5 laps of fuel left when I finished.

3 stop, I went 5s/5s/6s/1m. Pit stop is fast here, which makes 3 stop possible.

Pit time: 13.379 s
    Stop time: 5.588 s

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  19. Razgriz2118

Razgriz2118

> Me: *disappears for the week due to moving and other life things*
    > "Oh boy, I wonder what kind of talk is going on about the races, must be a lot with almost 200 new messages"
    > Sees most of it is an argument with one of "those guys" on a forum

While that was entertaining, glad to see people found some good experiences at Spa in the wet and at Alsace. I had to skip those due to aforementioned moving and life things, but I'm hoping I can race at Fuji this Saturday, if moving and other life things don't get in the way for taking precedence again. After grinding that Daily Race a while back of Fuji on hards in the 911, I feel like I was made for this race. I'm definitely skipping Nations though because even if I can keep it clean around the Streets, I feel like someone else is going to end up taking me out.

20. HaydenFan69

HaydenFan69

I’m preparing for the Toyota TS050 Cup event @ Laguna Seca. Safe to assume it’ll be hard tires with probably a x3/x5-6 (fuel/tires) on the multipliers?

*Edit: IDK if the multipliers are different from Custom Race to Sport Mode, but ran 20 laps without even coming close to needing to pit with the above settings.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    Pigems likes this.
  21. x5abotagex86

x5abotagex86

Fuji eh? Well I’ve only done 2 Manu races, with lackluster performances for a whopping 60something points.... but this makes my eyebrow raise..

Skipping this nationals this week as well, as I am trying to race them on tracks I’m really comfortable with. Adds more fun for me, and I don’t want to ruin anyone’s race with a horrid lap or 2!

goodluck

wedjim, Odiesback, dlshearon and 4 others like this.
  22. Ashthebash

Ashthebash

Fuel x4 Tyres x6. All compounds available, Medium and Hard required

Pigems, Razgriz2118 and HaydenFan69 like this.
  23. HaydenFan69

HaydenFan69

Where’d you find that? I couldn’t find it on the official site.

Pigems likes this.
  24. ShiftingGears

ShiftingGears

Well then

... news just in, I'm an idiot

Pigems likes this.
  25. Ashthebash

Ashthebash

@Hasnain282 and their insider knowledge!

dlshearon, Pigems and HaydenFan69 like this.
  26. KosmoKazi

KosmoKazi

27. Granadier

Granadier Premium

The M6 is...interesting around that god awful track.

28. Razgriz2118

Razgriz2118

Feeling good about Fuji and the 911. I know I'm doing pretty well when I get within under a second of @Mistah_MCA 's time :lol:. Tire wear basically doesn't exist with the low multiplier, I was able to lap a 1:40.4 and (barring mistakes) I could stay within 0.5s of that time in lobby practice; even in the final few laps I wasn't losing much time. Fuel is a non-issue too, so make sure to kill those polar bears when waiting on the grid.

Just hoping that'll be competitive in a high A lobby...

Mistah_MCA, GTWolverine and Pigems like this.
  29. Baka_Marimo

Baka_Marimo Premium

Ah Fuji, I can't wait to get yeeted into the 6th dimension as in that Nations Cup race recently :cheers:

edit: Actually, maybe not. It's a rolling start this time round :tup:

30. Redneckchef

Redneckchef Premium

That helps a bit, but still seems to either blow up a section of the pack, or it sort of delays it till the chicane at the back. Think I will still give it a go anyway