2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
Wish I was in that race (and did not forgot to use the mandatory tyre) :lol:
Well, you'd have got 4 points from it :D

It's not atypical of a D-ranked race. The players are new (or slow, or both) and don't necessarily read all the rules. Then they all get a one minute penalty after the race and post-race chat is filled with people wondering why.

Another possibility is that sixth was over a minute behind first and not classified. This also would not be unusual in a D-ranked race.

Last edited:
Not if almost everyone behind him (except one car) did the same thing.
That makes sense, I believe I only saw a couple pit. So it looks like virtually no one pitted in the races I competed in on Saturday. I wonder why? If I had pitted then , it would have saved me 30 seconds or so, depending on how long it takes to get through the pits. That would have placed me higher potentially.
?

Post-race penalty for not using all sets of mandatory tyres.

As for the points thing, the amount of points available is directly derived from the Driver Rating score of all the players in the lobby. Race with players with a lower score and you'll get fewer points even if you finish higher.
So how do I judge this on the day, what's a result in terms of points. I got 8 points from finishing 10th and then 4 from finishing 5th. Is 8 points a good number to settle on?

Last edited by a moderator:
That makes sense, I believe I only saw a couple pit. So it looks like virtually no one pitted in the races I competed in on Saturday. I wonder why? If I had pitted then , it would have saved me 30 seconds or so, depending on how long it takes to get through the pits. That would have placed me higher potentially.
?
The time lost in pits at Dragon Trail Gardens II is about ten seconds (I think around eight in fact). You'd have had to stop twice, because all three tyre grades (soft, medium, hard) were required, to lose 20s compared to not stopping... but I'd guess you ran hards for the full race, and that would have lost you time on every lap due to the lower grip of the hard tyres.

That all means that your overall race time would probably have been quicker with the right pit stops, despite time lost in the pits, and then not given you a one-minute penalty.

So how do I judge this on the day, what's a result in terms of points. I got 8 points from finishing 10th and then 4 from finishing 5th. Is 8 points a good number to settle on?
You don't really get a say in it. You get the score from the last race you entered only, and you won't know how strong the lobby is until you're actually in it...

Top-ranked drivers will be getting nearly 400 points for a win in FIA. At D you'll score no more than 10... ish for a win. If you want more points, you'll need to race more and get your DR up into higher ranks (and keep your SR high, or you'll be paired with dregs and lower-ranked drivers).

Interested to know what people think of the Manufacturer they have chosen (if a first time trying it)? Will you sign for them again? I've loved driving for Jag, especially the Gr.3. Seems to match my driving style perfectly. Will i sign for them again? Don't know. I usually like to try something new each time, but running out of options that i can be competitive in :lol:. Least enjoyable Manufacturer i've driven is BMW (with the M6). Really don't like the M4.

Don't think i'll be risking the Nurburgring so leaves just one more race for me.

I am running Mercedes for the first time. Not a big fan of how it drives but figured it was good practice to be beat Lewis Hamilton, LOL. After a season, I won't go back. Not sure what the Gr3 or Gr4 is really good at. I know Nikoli Makozi makes it move, but for me it just loves going straight too much. I'm not patient enough on the throttle (yup, that loose nut behind the wheel is the issue).

I am running Mercedes for the first time. Not a big fan of how it drives but figured it was good practice to be beat Lewis Hamilton, LOL. After a season, I won't go back. Not sure what the Gr3 or Gr4 is really good at. I know Nikoli Makozi makes it move, but for me it just loves going straight too much. I'm not patient enough on the throttle (yup, that loose nut behind the wheel is the issue).
I did consider Mercedes, Gr.3 car is a decent all-rounder but the Gr.4 car just feels like its as heavy as an oil tanker!

The time lost in pits at Dragon Trail Gardens II is about ten seconds (I think around eight in fact). You'd have had to stop twice, because all three tyre grades (soft, medium, hard) were required, to lose 20s compared to not stopping... but I'd guess you ran hards for the full race, and that would have lost you time on every lap due to the lower grip of the hard tyres.

That all means that your overall race time would probably have been quicker with the right pit stops, despite time lost in the pits, and then not given you a one-minute penalty.

You don't really get a say in it. You get the score from the last race you entered only, and you won't know how strong the lobby is until you're actually in it...

Top-ranked drivers will be getting nearly 400 points for a win in FIA. At D you'll score no more than 10... ish for a win. If you want more points, you'll need to race more and get your DR up into higher ranks (and keep your SR high, or you'll be paired with dregs and lower-ranked drivers).
That's really useful thank you, it's a lot to take in when you first start. So I should have kept my 8 points and been happy. There are a lot of mad drivers out there that just want to knock you off the track! Yes on the last race I used my hard tyres, although the race where I came tenth I used soft for 20 laps, lol. I am guessing using my softs for qualifying doesn't count as one of the free. I have yet to pit, so need to find a way to practice? Would it have just changed my tyres on Saturdays race or put in unnecessary fuel too?
Thanks

Interested to know what people think of the Manufacturer they have chosen (if a first time trying it)? Will you sign for them again? I've loved driving for Jag, especially the Gr.3. Seems to match my driving style perfectly. Will i sign for them again? Don't know. I usually like to try something new each time, but running out of options that i can be competitive in :lol:. Least enjoyable Manufacturer i've driven is BMW (with the M6). Really don't like the M4.

Don't think i'll be risking the Nurburgring so leaves just one more race for me.

I’ve only run 2 races, but chose BMW for the first time because the M4 is amazing. The m6 is waaaay better than most think and waaaay underused in dailies too.
Honestly imo the m4 is one of the best driving cars in game. The M6 is also very very strong. The larger degree of steering rotation really helps with the cars large amount of torque. It’s very competitive.
I had planned to run Interlagos but missed out. I think m4 might have been a bit thirsty for that fuel race anyways.
Both of the cars respond amazingly well using wheel. A true joy to drive.
I agree about the Mercedes gr4 I used to do well in it a year or so ago, but lately it seems slow.

Last edited:
That's really useful thank you, it's a lot to take in when you first start. So I should have kept my 8 points and been happy. There are a lot of mad drivers out there that just want to knock you off the track! Yes on the last race I used my hard tyres, although the race where I came tenth I used soft for 20 laps, lol. I am guessing using my softs for qualifying doesn't count as one of the free. I have yet to pit, so need to find a way to practice? Would it have just changed my tyres on Saturdays race or put in unnecessary fuel too?
Thanks

When multiple tire compounds are required, I usually set up a custom race with the same parameters as the FIA race to test things out. I start the custom race on soft tires to see how long they will last and then put the other tires on after the pit stops. You'll be able to see how much fuel you need as well. Remember to click on BoP for your car in the settings menu to match what the car's settings will be for the FIA race. I like to have myself start somewhere between 11th and 15th to make it interesting. Depending on the results I may do multiple custom races to try different pit strategies. These can be fun :).

I’ve only run 2 races, but chose BMW for the first time because the M4 is amazing. The m6 is waaaay better than most think and waaaay underused in dailies too.
Honestly imo the m4 is one of the best driving cars in game imo. The M6 is also very very strong. The larger degree of steering rotation really helps with the cars large amount of torque. It’s very competitive.
I had planned to run Interlagos but missed out. I think m4 might have been a bit thirsty for that fuel race anyways.
Both of the cars respond amazingly well using wheel. A true joy to drive.

To be fair, i did alright with the BMWs, just didn't enjoy them as much as i hoped. (M6 was nice to drive and great on fuel). Swapped for Lexus when we had that window with the Mazda release. Think its the sound of the M4 that puts me off the most. Don't like it. Now the Hyundai on the the other hand...oh the sound of those evil downshifts are fantastic! Seems like i'm talking myself into driving for Hyundai today :lol:

Thanks

Welcome here at GT planet! You can learn a lot from the people here so make sure to ask your questions here, Especially people like Famine (and many others) have pretty much all the answers you are looking for and are happy to answer all questions you might have.
It reallly helped me to improve my driving when I joined, and wish I had done that sooner as it would have made my progress in the game so much easier.

first of all to answer your question: you can qualify on softs and then change tyres after qualifying if you prefer to do so (and if the race rules for a particular race allow, meaning that there is more then one tyre compound available for that race). the qualifying session does not count for the mandatory tyre rule.

I have a few tips for you that will help you discover most you need to know about the GT FIA races:

- most importantly: check Mistah his guides on youtube before every FIA race; These are fantastic and will show you how to drive a lap at the track, which tyre/pitstop strategy is needed and lots more.
- practice in free practice using a ghost car from a top 10 driver. Also practice entering the pit so that you know where it is. (why? I could not find the pits once in a race at Tokyo and ran out of fuel:banghead:)
- join races in the lobby to practice with tyre wear and dealing with other drivers, etc
- sent friend requests to fellow drivers, you can compare laptimes and see their laps in replay (my PSN is mcl1974 if you want to sent one to me)
- do not let dirty drivers and idiots discourage you, some races can be very frustrating but the many awesome races you will have are worth it
- race clean yourself, do not drive others of track or pull dirty moves as that might be retaliated. Do not be that guy!!!

hope this will help a bit. good luck!!!

I'd happily pick Ford again. It won't be any time soon since I'm trying to move around different manufacturers, but I've had no complaints with it so far. This might not have been the best season for it going double Mustang with rounds like Big Willow, Dragon Trail Gardens II and the upcoming Lago Maggiore Centre (I'm already crying in understeer) but I don't feel helpless playing Ford on handling circuits like I did playing Mitsubishi on last season's power circuits.

Speaking of which, the other manufacturers I've tried in the past:

Mitsubishi - Maybe on a season that's not particularly power-heavy, but I really don't feel like picking them again any time soon.

Ferrari - Not unless they do something about the Group 3's chaotic handling and urge to spin. The Group 4 Italia is probably one of my favourite cars in the game and I loved driving it, but the Group 3 was just unadulterated masochism. That season had Group 3 rounds at Suzuka with 15x tyre wear, Dragon Trail Gardens II (great fun trying to stop the back end going through the quadruple left-hander and the chicane), Catalunya and Laguna Seca. That Laguna Seca is the only round I have willingly and fully intentionally skipped.

BMW - Felt like a good all-rounder that I'd happily pick again. Had some seriously awful qualifying luck in the season I picked it but felt very capable in race pace. I took the M6 Walkenhorst as my Group 3.

Mercedes - Another good all-rounder that I'd happily pick again. I had two wins with them that season as well, one of which was from a P11 start. The only trouble I had was at Group 4 Monza, as I found the SLS a bit unstable through the tight chicanes.

Renault - Maybe with the FF Group 4. The MR (which me and a friend have dubbed 'the bumblebee' due to the colour scheme and how the engine sounds) felt god-like on handling circuits but a complete dead weight if any kind of power was required. If I'm going to go all-in on a weakness, I don't want it to be lack of power now that I've done that twice.

Dodge - Another manufacturer I'd happily pick again... but probably not in the near future as things stand. I try to avoid picking the most popular manufacturers unless I have a particularly strong urge to use one of their cars because I don't like feeling like I'm playing Flavour of the Month. Dodge seems to have gone from very rare to everywhere over the last few seasons.

McLaren - Could give them another go, another manufacturer I was lucky enough to score two wins with in one season. My very first FIA win was Group 3 Tokyo East Outer Loop in the F1 GTR. It definitely felt like cheating starting on pole and having enough power on the run up to turn 1 to stop P2 from slipstreaming past me. :lol:

Last edited:
I knew i made my bed when i Main the Lamborghini's for this season and it is as what it reputation. in our first outing with the Gr3 class this round i didn't fair so well. if i were to describe what its like the drive the Huracan GT3 its like ice skating up hill. After many losing battle all weekend. we manage somehow to complete a pretty good race (after a bottle up job off course) we were able to make a great comeback drive and a great finish.

I Hope everyone have had a great festive season and I wish you all a Happy New Year!!

hink its the sound of the M4 that puts me off the most

In car it’s decent. Hyundai-love the gr4, haven’t had luck in the gr3.

I'd happily pick Ford again

Especially gr4 imo. The gr4 mustang is a force. I’ve tried the GT a few times but never seem to get much out of it and it tries to kill me. Prefer Mustang for the gr3 but some tracks it’s not very good.
Gr4 Mustang is great everywhere.

Ferrari - Not unless they do something about the Group 3's chaotic handling and urge to spin. The Group 4 Italia is probably one of my favourite cars in the game

Yep gr3 Ferrari is a total disaster. However if it handled like the gr4 imo Ferrari would be OP.

Edit Lambo gr3 is a disaster too imo.

Last edited:
i did a lobby practice for the Nordschleife race today and an A+ driver was in the lobby. This driver is in the top 5 for fastest lap for this track.
So a really fast driver but also a total dick.

He started right behind me (there was no qualifying) and the driver before me was a bit slow so I was waiting for an oppertunity to pass when the A= driver started ramming into the both of us at the first turn, trying to barge his way through. He did that for several corners and then tried to overtake on the outside and crashed himself. (ridiculous move)
But halfway lap 2 he made op the lost places and was right behind me again and started tapping me at high speed and then again tried to overtake me on the outside of a curve. When that failed again he simply hit me in the back when i braked for a corner and but me in the barrier. (I was ready to let him pass at a convenient place as I knew he was much faster but he had no patience to wait for that) it was a "battle" for third place, with one and two well out of reach....I really do not get that attitude when you are a fast driver like that, being so offended that "mortals" get in your way.....:boggled:

Fortunately I also had a awesome two lap battle in a lobby with a German Motorheadfan yesterday, a nice duel between gentlemen.

Welcome here at GT planet! You can learn a lot from the people here so make sure to ask your questions here, Especially people like Famine (and many others) have pretty much all the answers you are looking for and are happy to answer all questions you might have.
It reallly helped me to improve my driving when I joined, and wish I had done that sooner as it would have made my progress in the game so much easier.

first of all to answer your question: you can qualify on softs and then change tyres after qualifying if you prefer to do so (and if the race rules for a particular race allow, meaning that there is more then one tyre compound available for that race). the qualifying session does not count for the mandatory tyre rule.

I have a few tips for you that will help you discover most you need to know about the GT FIA races:

- most importantly: check Mistah his guides on youtube before every FIA race; These are fantastic and will show you how to drive a lap at the track, which tyre/pitstop strategy is needed and lots more.
- practice in free practice using a ghost car from a top 10 driver. Also practice entering the pit so that you know where it is. (why? I could not find the pits once in a race at Tokyo and ran out of fuel:banghead:)
- join races in the lobby to practice with tyre wear and dealing with other drivers, etc
- sent friend requests to fellow drivers, you can compare laptimes and see their laps in replay (my PSN is mcl1974 if you want to sent one to me)
- do not let dirty drivers and idiots discourage you, some races can be very frustrating but the many awesome races you will have are worth it
- race clean yourself, do not drive others of track or pull dirty moves as that might be retaliated. Do not be that guy!!!

hope this will help a bit. good luck!!!
Cannot send friend request?

It seems like a fair amount of people might be skipping the Nations race this Weds. Personally, I'm really looking forward to it. It looks like fun. Even though the 4WD Mini makes the Chicane of Death a literal and correct designation.
I tried them out and the track suits the car perfectly, except COD. It would be worth entering and just sitting there for the LOLs.

Cannot send friend request?

Adding Friends
When a player accepts your Friend request, that player becomes your Friend. After you become Friends, you can view things like that Friend's PlayStation™Network sign-in status and the game that Friend is playing. Your Friends follow you, and you follow them, automatically. Their activities and broadcasts appear under [What's New] and other areas.

Sending a Friend request
Select
icon_friends.png
(Friends) from the function screen.
Select the player that you want to add as your Friend.
You can search by online ID, [Players Met], or in other ways.
Select
icon_add_player.png
(Add to Friends) next to the player that you want to add as your Friend.
Requesting a Friend’s real name
When sending a Friend request, select the checkbox in [Send Close Friend Request] to request the player’s real name.
To request the real name of a player who is already your Friend, select
icon_more.png
(Options) > [Send Real-Name Request] on your Friend's profile screen.
After the real-name request is accepted, you can see each other’s real names and profile pictures.

• You can also follow players without sending a Friend request. Select
    icon_Follow.png
    (Follow) on the profile screen of the player that you want to follow.
  • To cancel a Friend request or real-name request, select [Friend Requests], highlight the player whose request you want to cancel, press the OPTIONS button, and then select [Cancel Friend Request] or [Cancel Real-Name Request].
  • Child accounts cannot be used to send or receive real-name requests.
  • A real name is the name that is registered with your account. You can view your real name and profile picture in
    icon_settings.png
    (Settings) > [Account Management] > [Account Information] > [Profile].
Accepting a Friend request or real-name request
Select
icon_friends.png
Select [Friend Requests].
Select [Accept] next to the player whose request you want to accept.
When you select the player, that player’s profile appears.
  • To reject a Friend request or real-name request, highlight the player whose request you want to reject, press the OPTIONS button, and then select [Delete Friend Request] or [Delete Real-Name Request].
  • Privacy settings let you limit the players from whom you can receive Friend requests. You can also hide your real name from other players’ search results. For details, see "Privacy Settings".
  • To report inappropriate comments, press the OPTIONS button on the player's profile screen, and then select [Report].
Unfollowing a player
Select
icon_friends.png
Select [Follow].
Select
icon_Unfollow.png
(Unfollow) next to the player you want to stop following.
Blocking a player
If you block another player, messages from the blocked player no longer appear, and some other functions become limited. On the profile screen of the player you want to block, select
icon_more.png
(Options) > [Block].

Unblocking a player
Select
icon_friends.png
Press the OPTIONS button, and then select [Blocked Players].
Highlight the player to unblock, press the OPTIONS button, and then select [Unblock].
You can also block players by pressing the OPTIONS button on the Messages screen or Community screen.

Removing from Friends

@Pigems gave me some time to test the 86 at Big Willow before we picked manus, and I was all like "Damn...this car is awesome". And it was, at Big Willows. Everywhere else, :crazy:. It's completely overpowered by most every Gr4 car. I'm good at Interlagos, and that race was so miserable in the 86.

I don't mind the Supra as much, but it relies on the turbo kicking in to get meaningful acceleration, and this season, it's only really felt good for me at Monza. It's also super touchy until you get it through the turbo. I need something more stable under acceleration I think.

I've used Jag (2 pre-seasons and the main event), Hyundai (pre-season), and Ferrari (exhibition). I'm sort of tempted to go back to the Jag or Hyundai, but I think I'll look at Chevy and Ford as well for the next season.

Presuming I have to find 1m credits from somewhere for the car?
If you have 100,000cr already - or a car worth more than that - go to Professional League, Premium Sports Lounge, and pick Blue Moon Bay Speedway. It's a 15-lap, 11'45 race that, in the right machinery, can get you 375,000cr each time.

Now, there are some caveats to that. You can only win that much with a severely underpowered car (N300, so 246-345hp, against the up to N1000 cars) and with a clean race bonus. That will require some specific vehicles - it's possible in the old but very expensive Ford GT40, the Mazda RX500, and the KTM X-BOW (which is the quickest way of all), but you will need some significant vehicle tuning to suspension to stop the X-BOW from trying to kill you. Otherwise you can go with something slower like the current Toyota Supra which is easier and will get you less money, but you can still get 1m credits in way less than an hour.

Presuming I have to find 1m credits from somewhere for the car?
I think this is the one Daily Bonus car that I've won that has come in handy! I otherwise might not want to spend 1M credits on it, either!

It drive like a little less capable Gr4 car, but with AWD... not bad, but you do have to remind yourself that it's NOT a Gr4 car as the speed it carries is similar, but how you get into and thru the corners is different.

I think this is the one Daily Bonus car that I've won that has come in handy! I otherwise might not want to spend 1M credits on it, either!

It drive like a little less capable Gr4 car, but with AWD... not bad, but you do have to remind yourself that it's NOT a Gr4 car as the speed it carries is similar, but how you get into and thru the corners is different.

I had a 'proper' Mini when I was 17 (1973 Clubman estate, a thing of beauty, especially as I'ma six-footer!), I feel like the VGT handles like the classic mini (obviously much faster) in that you have to get your braking right but you can really chuck it in the corners and trust it to hold the road.

I really like it :)

I've been with Aston Martin this season and last, last season was really good, competitive everywhere. This season I've had an absolute shocker! I've not been able to put one decent result together, and I don't know why...

Next time out I'm going to change, but not sure who to, I love both the Vipers so maybe :D

Edit: The season before that was my first in FIA. I went with Alfa, but we don't talk about that :lol:

Last edited:

I’m not sure how relevant this chart is still, but it’s the latest one I’ve seen floating around. It will help to give you an idea of how the point system works.
31797F20-68AC-4FF4-8FC9-D1E8C4DAF686.jpeg

Once your into a race lobby, during warmup, click on the little Wreath icon at the bottom of the screen, and it will show you the points total for each finishing position in that race. :)

1F82E085-AC09-45F2-8F12-461AE6CE29E8.jpeg

A76A463C-263C-44AB-B379-E046A116E284.jpeg

Last edited:
All the manufacturers are a lottery. I used all but the Citroens and Peugeots, I just can't bring myself to choose them.

For what it's worth, I'd say the Gr.3&Gr.4 RC Fs, are the most comfortable cars to use all the time. The V8 power doesn't struggle, the cars are stable. If someone is looking to have good results(probably not wins, but remaining competitive), without thinking about the car itself, I recommend the brand.

All the manufacturers are a lottery. I used all but the Citroens and Peugeots, I just can't bring myself to choose them.

For what it's worth, I'd say the Gr.3&Gr.4 RC Fs, are the most comfortable cars to use all the time. The V8 power doesn't struggle, the cars are stable. If someone is looking to have good results(probably not wins, but remaining competitive), without thinking about the car itself, I recommend the brand.
Totally agree with not picking Citroen. They’re just, well....Citroens :lol:

Back