2020 FIA Series Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by GTPNewsWire, Jun 1, 2020.

1. RacingGrandpa

RacingGrandpa

Yes, full to the first service road, small amount of throttle to the second then full gas to just before the 50 meter board. I then take the left hander in second gear with a late apex.

2. Kermit_2142

Kermit_2142

Gently gently gently does it, use a lower gear with high rpm to keep the nose tight to the inside. Be patient and don’t “push” the front out wide, you can hear/feel the front pushing on the power, you want that “biting” feeling before you accelerate out the corner.
    It’s a very difficult corner to get right.

edit: cut turn 2 as much as you can, pretty much all 4 wheels off track. You’ll feel like your tuning in way too early but will get used to it after a few laps.

3. GTWolverine

GTWolverine

Cut Turn 2? The left hander that leads into the fast horseshoe? The one that gives you a 1s penalty for even touching the cone that's just to the inside of the curb, even if you still have 2 wheels on track?

Razgriz2118, Redneckchef and Pigems like this.
  4. stpatty

stpatty

REVEALED: THE SECRET FORMULA TO GOOD POINTS THAT PD DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW ABOUT!

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20200627144146.jpg

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20200627144216.jpg

Don't get a penalty, kids. Leader 1-stopped, 2nd 2-stopped, I 3-stopped. I have never driven as badly as this in my life, with a track I don't know, a car I don't know and tyres that were a shambles.

GT5Power, Jwptexas, LeGeNd-1 and 10 others like this.
  5. watto79

watto79

The goal was to finish not last. Qualified 10th with door number 10 and finished 10th. 2 stopped with 8S/8S/1M. 1 stopper is probably quicker as track position is key here. And matching @stpatty 's CRB :)

Not a hope in hell am I doing that again.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20200627144207.jpg

6. Adam Barber

Adam Barber

Didn't bother with nation's as it looked like an SR killer at such a narrow track. Well done on the result, that livery is worth half a second a lap easy :lol::lol:

7. SlowDriver87

SlowDriver87

Polyphony hate him!

8. ASH32

ASH32

You can hit the cone and not get a penalty but only with the very left side of your car, cut anymore and it is indeed a penalty. So I wouldn't recommend cutting this corner in a race, or even running close, eventually you'll get stung and with the penalty zone you'll lose out a ton.

9. ivann

ivann

I am skipping fuji unfortunately
    m6 is hopeless
    dont want to give away dr points every gr3 race...

Pigems and Granadier like this.
  10. stpatty

stpatty

Gained 1.2k DR from Willow, lost 1.1k DR from Fuji. Whoops.

11. Adam Barber

Adam Barber

Still a net gain

12. Kermit_2142

Kermit_2142

If your not on the limit of getting a penalty there every lap your sacrificing a lot of time. So yes cut as much as you can/dare.

When I was new to Fuji I could never understand why I was slow there until I realised you have to cut it to the point of risking a penalty every lap to maximise your speed. There’s a few tracks like that where the line between speed and penalty is so fine it’s broader line cruelty :lol:.

13. Granadier

Granadier Premium

Same. I’m over a second per lap off the pace for my split. Not worth the torture.

Pigems likes this.
  14. x5abotagex86

x5abotagex86

Yea really important. And some cars seem to find a sweet spot into t3 if you can get the car through t2 in 4th, but tricky in my experience

Kermit_2142 and Pigems like this.
  15. Lost Sheltie

Lost Sheltie

Gave the Manufacturer race at Fuji. Unfortunately it didn't go so well. Qualified 6 tenths off pole, so ended up in 14th :(

Tried to take it easy for the 1st couple of laps, but unfortunately the chaos kicked off on lap 3 and I ended up getting taken out into the chicane. By the time I got turned around I was 15 secs off where I was. I almost gave up, but decided to keep going and it took me another 7 laps to catch up to anyone. Had a little fun racing with a few people, but they were all racing quite aggressively so again chaos kicked off. I managed to avoid most of it and gave people space (accidentally dive-bombed someone but managed to not cause too much damage and he kept his place), but that ended up not mattering as I got taken out again going into the 1st corner on the last lap.

Some very bizarre driving for an A+ lobby, but I suppose that is Fuji. Would try again but the Jag is a little too understeery for my liking at this track and Fugu Frenzy is tonight.

16. Adam Barber

Adam Barber

MANUFACTURERS

Qualifying was a mixed bag as my first two flying laps were only good enough for 13th, but in my last flying lap with the slipstream from a Mercedes managed to sneak into 6th right at the end of the session.

At the start of the race I initially lost a little bit of ground to the Merc ahead but as they braked early I made a move stick into T1. Got past a Porsche on the main straight as they served an undeserved penalty for contact at Dunlop with an Aston Martin which dropped them to 10th. Then got past an M6 on the main straight and made it stick into 1st only for them to get it back at dunlop after they were nudged by a Mercedes behind who then span at there.

Had a good battle with that BMW and a Porsche for the next 4 laps until lap 7 where I nearly lost it at the exit of 1st and the Porsche then sadly did. From there the BMW slowly pulled ahead and after a scruffy lap 8 the Merc that I passed at 1st on lap 1 caught back up and passed me lap 9 for 4th. I tried to get back past at 1st no avail. Now in 5th nothing happened until the end. I kept about a 2 second gap to the Merc ahead and behind from there until the end. Race was won by a fellow briton in a V12 Vantage which wasn't really much of a surprise given that cars straight line speed.

Overall a better result than I had expected at Fuji given the Ferrari isn't the best car for this track. The low fuel/tyre wear didn't play into my hands either as normally I can make up a bit of time in the pits. Happy with that result overall and considering that the Ferrari struggled for top speed on the main straight. Also shout out to the guy who complemented my livery designs!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  17. Tidgney

Tidgney Premium

Streaming Manufacturers Race, only 1 shotting it so lets see what happens :D

18. RX8 Racer

RX8 Racer

Nations Cup went better than I expected. Qualified 6th, ran a 8S-9M strategy because I realised that tyre wear means nothing when you spend 99% of your time behind traffic. I messed up Turn 11 twice. as did a few other people, but the race was pretty clean for me, track penalties notwithstanding. Managed to come home 7th out of 12 finishers. I actually really enjoyed this race. The tension of trying to stay within the limits while chasing others through a tight twisty track is exciting!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

As for Manufacturers... if Fuji was really meant to be a BoP test, then I'll be waiting for both of the Alfas to get buffed. I got annihilated in qualifying because I can't hitch a tow to save my life and the race itself wasn't any better. I made up a bunch of places at Lap 1 Turn 8, but dropped down the order as the race went on. I just didn't have the pace. Whether the terrible pace was because of me, the Alfa's lack of speed or the constant defending I had to do thanks to said speed deficit, I don't know. Having issues with Turn 3 didn't help matters. I got 2 penalties thanks to that turn. I ended up finishing where I started, in 16th place. I got so mad I just gave up for the night and went to sleep.

19. GR33N

GR33N

3 races today (2 Nations, 1 Manu), 3 times spun to last in the first 3 turns of the race.
    Same thing happened in my last race at Alsace on Wednesday.
    Makes me seriously consider quitting GT Sport, I just can't enjoy the races anymore.

I'm stuck around 40k DR because of this and I was wondering if the racing standards were higher around 50k ?

By this I mean:

- not divebomb from 0.5 away when the car in front takes the normal racing line (wide) and use the side of that car for the turn-in

- not block after a mistake when the car behind arrives much faster

- know when to yield if the other car has the "priority" when side-by-side coming to the turn

- etc, etc.

Please give me hope and a reason to continue! :(

20. VulcanSpirit

VulcanSpirit

Learnt early on in practice that the GT LM feels slippery around the technical sections of Fuji, a missile down the straight and more settled on brake balance 0. Was a bit more confident going into Manufacturers this time than with the Gr.4 round on the short circuit, but the race itself was, to put it kindly, an interesting one.

15:20 Manufacturers
    Entered the 15:20 slot alongside @Ashthebash 'wi-fi password' and my Swiss teammate. Bottled my first lap at the first corner, but reset and put in a respectable 1:39.304 with no slipstream (Dutch Audi was in front, but pulled over before we even got to the timing line! :confused:). Stayed out to attempt a second lap, which would have probably given me at least 1 tenth up had I not overcooked my entry into the Dunlop chicane. Reset a second time, but felt it was too late at that point to start another flier. While I was only four-and-a-half tenths off the polesitting Corvette and my 2nd-placed teammate, my solitary lap would wind me up in 15th.

The first lap didn't help my frustration, either. Had sought to take a cautious approach from the start, which a Greek Porsche and the Dutch Audi were eager to capitalise on with passes at Turns 1 and 6 respectively. Outbraked myself going into Dunlop and somehow clipped the back of the Audi as I took avoiding action. It was the lightest of touches, and the Audi didn't seem too badly affected, but it was enough to slap me with a 1-second penalty which put me down to 19th. For a while, I genuinely believed there was no contact as I didn't notice the 'thump' until going through my onboard capture afterwards. It seemed like this was turning out to be another wasted run, but the penalty, as it soon turned out, was only a temporary setback.

At Turn 1, 'Wifi password' spin offs after outbreaking and colliding with a Subaru. Next, a chain reaction of events leading up to Turn 6 results in a Porsche rage-quitting and causing a hold-up which leads to a teammate and the Subaru picking up penalties as well. Yellow flags throughout the third sector. Another Porsche crawls along pit entry with a penalty of his own. Just like that, we slingshot into 13th, clocking purple first sectors in pursuit of a British Porsche. Could see a long train of cars stretching as far up as 4th place, and made further gains on Lap 4 as the Porsche dived down the inside of Panasonic and cruelly nudged ashthebash out of 10th. What followed was a hunt for the two Ferraris and Dutch Audi up ahead, although not without a brief challenge from ashthebash at Dunlop. Clocked a 1:39.880 (just under two-tenths off the provisional fastest set by the Corvette), and came close to slipstreaming my way past the Frenchman soon after.

Witnessed a new train for 6th forming by the half-way mark, and sensed a new opportunity to fight when both Ferraris got held up by a struggling BTCC-liveried M6. This, though, allowed a Spanish Porsche and ashthebash to catch up; the Spaniard lunges up the inside at Turn 13, but I hang on and get clear while ashthebash gets biffed into oblivion again. Next lap through the third sector was even more tense. Followed the red Ferrari and saw the silver one go wide after he and the Dutch Audi make contact coming out of Dunlop. The Audi goes very wide through Turn 13, and in avoiding the silver Ferrari I lose two places to both the Spanish and British Porsches at 14 and 15. Reclaimed 12th on the exit of Panasonic and while in the slipstream of the distant BMW. The last thing I wanted was for the Dutch Audi to cut me off down the straight, which thankfully never occurred as I briefly pulled ahead of him as well. Audi was more adventurous on the brakes, but that didn't matter; he had to serve a track limits penalty and the silver Ferrari had gone wide at Turn 1 anyway.

Just managed to stay in front of the Ferrari as he re-joined, which put me up to 10th as the Audi slowed. The battle wasn't over, however. Started Lap 13 lightly bump-drafting the BMW, having set a new personal fastest of 1:39.872 in the process. In my mirror, I spot the Ferrari making a very late lunge down the inside of Turn 1; still, I get a better drive and he has the courtesy to back out before we reach Coca-Cola. Next few laps were spent trying to maintain the gap between myself, the Ferrari and the Dutch Audi, while also avoiding the BMW as he twitched his way out of Turn 15. Earlier on, I had almost lost it myself on the kerb between Coca-Cola and 100R, and did the very same thing again on the penultimate lap. First time I just about got away with it, but the second, it was enough for the silver Ferrari to sweep past me. Kept the pressure going on him and his Slovenian teammate until the end.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20200627160906.png

Can't say I enjoyed this run much with mediocre qualifying (again) and shabby manoeuvres up and down the pack. On the whole, however, the Ford worked very similarly to how it did in the test runs I mustered during the recent heatwave. Plus, it looked after its tyres as well as the silver Ferrari and was still fairly stable providing I didn't get greedy with the kerbs. 10th place and 172 points. Thought about going again in the 20:40 slot, but it occurred to me while preparing this write-up that I now have enough top-10 finishes to cover me when the final scores are tallied up. Really want to try and get a podium or two before Stage 3 wraps up, but with the way things have gone I don't think I'm the strongest Ford driver to do it this year. It's possible, though... my Swiss teammate followed the Corvette home exactly where he started. :)

21. KosmoKazi

KosmoKazi

OK: somebody stop me. After thinking I’d be skipping the race at Willow, I’m jumping on in the first time slot and giving it a go… against better judgement! Here goes nothing!

22. HaydenFan69

HaydenFan69

No! Bad dog! *smacksonnosewithrolledupnewspaper

23. GTWolverine

GTWolverine

Sounds exactly like me with the Gr. 4 Corvette at Alsace. It was a shame, because I actually liked the flow of the track once I learned it.

24. KosmoKazi

KosmoKazi

Actually, don't know what I was worried about... it's not like the race was on the Horse Thief Mile course...

It was really pretty fun! Qualifying was impossible, so much traffic. Started 13th, ended 10th, no penalties save for a 0.5 sec track limits (just the smallest bit over the limit, I guess) but I had a 5 sec lead at the time, compared to the guys behind me. I was held up at the end of a train when I got it, so it was meaningless.

Otherwise really clean and quite surprisingly fun race. With #12, ended up with a negligible amount of DR, and was able to eliminate a lower FIA score with the points I got, so not bad!

[​IMG]

It was mostly a spec WRX race... which was ok. But I will say that I think that PD missed a chance to make a more fun race here by setting it up as a classic race with Cobras, Mustangs, and the like. That would have been a riot.

Now... Fuji: that will likely be another story. I just can't up to speed there, my finishes in any race in FIA or Dailies have never been good. Probably should skip THAT one... but: here goes nothing (again)!

25. Windfire1010

Windfire1010

Lets see how the buffed Genesis does.

26. Mistah_MCA

Mistah_MCA Premium

[​IMG]

-

Usually, I'd go for 2nd or 3rd slots on the weekend, but since I want to get it over with (in hopefully one try), I decided to jump into the first slot of Memes of Willow.

Qualifying was difficult. At first, I just waited for everyone to go out before I went out by myself. I got a decent banker lap in, so now it was time to jump out, jump back in at the right time (read: not leave pit stop and cut off anyone doing a flying lap), and try to get better times. Eventually, I ended up behind someone's slip, and helped me just enough to get a 5th place start!

After that, it was down to surviving this race... and by that, I mean not really do much. Someone got a track penalty, so I passed them. Someone else got a penalty, and I ALMOST passed them, but they unghosted right before I passed them, so I had to abort last second. Luckily, nothing serious came out of that.

The hardest part for me was thinking of the pit strategy to go with. I was initially going to go with a 3 stop, but because there were still massive groups of cars bunched together a few laps in, I noped out of that strategy. 2 stop? It could work... but then there's that problem of pitting out into traffic again. I decided to just go with whatever 3rd and 2nd went with, since I was right behind them. When they pit, I follow, basically. It ended up being a 1 stop, which actually helped me! Someone behind me was on a 2 stop at one point. Because of the narrow track, they couldn't pass me, so I threw a wrench in their works.

I ended up getting a 4th place finish, after what was a pretty undramatic race on my end. I just wanted 200 points, and I happily got that. :D

Screenshot (134).png

27. O604

O604

My Nations race went OK. Started 12th. Finished 9th. 2 stop M/S/S. No pens.

Got a good grid. Pretty smooth qualifying. Tight, clean racing. Pace was faster than I expected. And not many mistakes by the other drivers. So overall happy with the outcome. :)

28. OutlawQuadrnt

OutlawQuadrnt

I'm going to do some magic and show you my upcoming Fuji qualifying and race sessions. Suspiciously looks like many other of my qualifying and race sessions...

Slipstream.gif

29. GTWolverine

GTWolverine

First round of Manufacturer's was a waste. In spite of having only having 42k DR, I was door #3, so even a win wouldn't have been good enough for my 200 point goal, so even if I did well I'd probably go again. Fortunately, I did awful. I qualified 17th after being completely unable to get a rhythm going. My qualifying time was so bad that I actually beat it several times in the opening laps of the race with a nearly full fuel tank. I probably could've recovered to a Top 10, but I got a stupid 2s contact penalty at Turn 1 for scraping the outer layer of atoms off of the rear bumper of the car in front of me, then completely blew the chicane a few laps later and got reset. I passed the same cars 3x, and ultimately finished 11th, but was rapidly catching 10th and 9th. I had laptimes comparable with the leaders, and was even gaining on them when I wasn't fighting traffic.

Oh by the way the other 2 Corvettes finished 1st and 3rd. :banghead:

Hopefully I can get it together next race and the 3rd time won't have to be the charm...

Edit: Congrats to @Jwptexas on the 4th!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  30. barak181

barak181

Wow, words cannot even begin to describe Manu Slot 1 for me. I mean, I knew it was going to be rough with my SR so low after all the Race A yesterday but wow... Um, I'm going to avoid saying anything that could possibly get me in trouble and put in some more practice. Maybe if I can just run far enough away from everybody...