2020 FIA Series Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by GTPNewsWire, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Master Weasel

Master Weasel Premium

Well, for today's Manufactures race, I got a better result than I expected considering I only did 30 minutes of practice. I usually put in at least an hour and a half for FIA races.

[​IMG]

A small part of me wants to go again but with Fuji being pretty infamous for turn 1 chaos, nothing is guaranteed, so this is going to be it for me. As I hoped, the Gr. 3 Huracan felt pretty good around this track. It was just down to being smooth with throttle inputs, and high speed courses like Fuji suit it best for sure.

Next weekend: doing Nations, hands down. I've been wanting a race on St. Croix C for quite some time. The Manufacturers race being on Nürburgring 24h makes this especially an easy choice. That track is just trouble in my experience, at least in Gr. 3 cars.

CurbHog, JEverettL, Jwptexas and 11 others like this.
  2. KosmoKazi

KosmoKazi

FIA Manufacturers Series. - Round 18 / Gr3 at Fuji

I knew this wasn't going to be good. I just can't get up to speed at that track, in any car. Discouraging to see the other Porsches all qualify pretty well, but I am missing something. I thought I found it: just at the end of FP, I realized my BB was cranked to the front, which I hadn't noticed, but even then, I could not find the speed I need there to be fast. I was just hoping to avoid carnage.

I qualified terrible... up to 14th, but could never position myself for a tow (had a AMG GT... but he put in on hot lap and then ghosted me before T1... dammit) and my provisional 14th was obliterated by a slipstream train in the final minute to put me 19th. Oh well, just stay out of trouble and see what happens...

Made up a ton of spots be staying clear on L1 T1. Midway, a couple of guys had a row, and I stayed clear: it was good news / bad news. The good thing was that they gifted me their spots, the bad news was that it meant we'd lost the slipstream, which I was clinging on to for dear life. So I just tried to avoid trouble the rest of the race too.

I was able to do that, and settled in with a nice duel with @CurbHog on my tail (he had suffered something in the opening laps, so he was stuck behind me)... finally we were matched in a race! We were both pretty consistent, and I was able to maintain a gap that I though I could hold, until the penultimate lap, when a Peugeot in front of me went off course, and then like an :censored: came right back on to the racing line on the final turn, while I was protecting from HiortinTexas grabbing enough of my tow to get me (which was seeming inevitable at the moment...) I was pretty irritated that the Peugeot driver did that and then kept the spot, it was dirty and I won't respect him again if he's in my races.

Enjoyed @Master Weasel ’s sweet Lamborghini livery in the intros, nice finish too!

All said, a ~600 donation to the GT Sport DR pool, which I more or less expected, given my patchy, no awful, race history at this track. After a scratch DR result at Willow Springs, not anything to let get me down, I guess.

[​IMG]
    with @CurbHog in my mirrors

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    Jwptexas, CurbHog, dlshearon and 12 others like this.
  3. GTWolverine

GTWolverine

Did much better in Slot 2, but still not enough. I needed a win and no less to get over 200 points. I qualified way better this time in 8th, on a solo lap, as unfortunately every car I'd tried to follow made a mistake and held me up, so I decided to find some empty track. Come race time, and after several mistakes by the cars in front combined with some regular overtakes, I was in 3rd, with another Corvette in 2nd and a GT-R leading. That's how we finished. I got 184 points for 3rd, which only increases my score by 2 points, which would literally do nothing to boost me in the standings, so I might as well go again.

Jwptexas, dlshearon, watto79 and 4 others like this.
  4. roamingbard13

roamingbard13

Nice to finally get matched with you, dude. I will also be going again as I got punted at the chicane L1 and ended up DFL. Worked my way up to get raged off the track by a guy who was upset that I passed him. This game sucks sometimes, since he can ram me from T1 to T2 and only get a 2 second penalty.

5. Razgriz2118

Razgriz2118

Ok guys, looking for some advice here because I think I'm hitting a wall when it comes to pace, evidenced if you take a gander at my KudosPrime stats and see I've been oscillating +/- 400DR for the past 5 days. Examples of my driving can be found in my YouTube videos linked in my signature. I know braking is something I can work on, but even after watching Tidgney's Racing School and being a lot more aware of how I brake, I feel like it's not enough.

Manufacturers felt like a waste because I feel like I was put into a split or two higher than my actual ability, since I was Door #19 and half of the lobby were A+ drivers, meaning at minimum, they were at least 4700 DR higher than me. This is the 4th FIA race where this has happened, so I don't know if not enough people are taking place causing this matchmaking, or these are the lobbies I'm stuck in now. Regardless, if I keep being put into lobbies like this, all of these races are worthless now because I'll only really be able to fight for the bottom 10 positions which won't give useful points. So it's like either I need to find at least 0.5s of pace or tank my DR to fall back into lower splits if I want to actually be competitive.

Rant over, as I said above, this race felt like a waste. My slipstream quali lap was ruined by the guy in front running wide and then coming back onto track right in front of me, giving me an SR down and a 2 second penalty, so I went back to the pits with only 6 mins in the session left. I ended up running all of quali without slipstream because of the scattered pack and because my quali lap I felt was slower than what I could do, which was probably a mistake, but oh well, 14th place is what I got.

More detailed race report will come with the video upload, but it was topsy-turvy. T1 was surprisingly orderly, and I could keep up with a group that had up to 8th place, but once they started breaking away, combined with me having to defend and also making mistakes, meant I just kept slipping back. Luckily I finished 12th, but for only 132 points, which won't help my scores at all.

Jwptexas, Pigems, wedjim and 2 others like this.
  6. RacingGrandpa

RacingGrandpa

I'm in fourth across the curb in t2 and all the way through the long right hander. It's the part of the track where I gain, then I loose half a sec from the chikane.

Pigems, KosmoKazi and Redneckchef like this.
  7. roamingbard13

roamingbard13

My race in 30 seconds:

Pigems, wedjim and Razgriz2118 like this.
  8. GTWolverine

GTWolverine

Yeah I figured you got caught up in the opening lap bumper cars. Better luck to both of us next round.

Pigems likes this.
  9. Ashthebash

Ashthebash

So, was in first slot with @VulcanSpirit . Qualifying wasn't great to say the least, I'm much more comfortable without a tow than with one and ended up with a pants 1:39.4 in clean air for 17th. First corner at Fuji is usually chaos though so... everyone gets around it fine, except for the Audi in 18th who out brakes himself and pushes me off.

Rejoined dead last and then the Fuji mayhem began to unfold, with spinners and penalties promoting be up to 10th by the end of L2. Settling in for a nice run wanting to stretch my legs then at the end of L4 a Brit in a Porsche from two cars back dive bombs into the final corner and PIT manoeuvres me on the exit. I lose two places (including one to Vulcan) and fall into the clutches of a Spaniard in a Porsche who felt it was fine to hit me up the back in every braking zone. The Brit backed off, but he'd already cost me at least two places, so what's the point?

Life had become :censored:

Trying to defend against someone plainly braking too late and not have an effect on cars ahead was very difficult and I caught Vulcan under braking for Dunlop, not huge contact and there was no damage incurred but, it was untidy.

After being constantly barged I eventually braked too late for T1 and ran wide letting the Spaniard through, then got a penalty for contact in the final sector after being nudged from the same Brit who had PIT manoeuvred me. Recovered to get ahead of the Spaniard and race a WRX but on the right hander after the Dunlop chicane he ran me wide and I picked up a 1s penalty for my troubles.

The penalty dropped me into clean air and I suddenly got down into the 39s for the first time in the race on L15 but it was a .... MESS!

Wanted to get back on because it's another track I have serious speed at in race conditions but, couldn't get on at the end of the night

My pace in clean air is up there with front runners and faster than most I was racing with, but in a train of cars in a sprint like this there is literally nothing you can do

Hate sprint races

GT5Power, Jwptexas, KniPer9 and 5 others like this.
  10. afc5150

afc5150

Well, I should be happy with a solid 2nd place at Fuji in the AMG Merc tonight. 139 points in a mixed A/B-S lobby which is my second highest haul of the season so far. I even gained around 1,000 DR.

However, I'm kind of mad at myself having started on pole by .200 and leading the first 12 laps by as much as 5 seconds. Until the stupid down hill left hander (turn 4?) caught me going just a smidge too deep and running 2 wheels over the outside curbs, just enough for the closing Porsche in second to sneak by. I almost lost 2nd but managed to keep 3rd behind over the closing laps.

So many positives to take away, but it feels like I let that one get away.
    Gran Turismo®SPORT_20200627204931.jpg

JEverettL, Jwptexas, Pigems and 7 others like this.
  11. wedjim

wedjim

You don’t think you did anything wrong in both of these video clips?

My races went well tonight, 1 and done in both. At Willow I qualified 2nd, pit strategy and saving my tires allowed me to 2 stop and also pit a lap later than the leader On both stops. This allowed me to have fresher mediums and only need them 2 laps. Won by just over 1 second.

At Fuji I qualified a dismal 14th with car number 9. My two good laps I ended up behind people who made mistakes Forcing me to check up. Even though they moved quickly, it was only a .7 second spread from 1st to 14th, so it didn’t take much. My qualifying lap was .6 slower than my good practice laps. Not sure if that was the case for everyone?
    I got a clean start thru turn 1, seems like most did, everyone stayed fairly calm. By lap 2 I had worked my way up to 11th. Seemed like people would make little bobbles and we were in a freight train, which meant a spot would open up. This happened a few times, with a couple getting penalties. Rather then forcing passes, I followed the guy who qualified better, assuming we would stay in a good spot to battle at the end. With 4 laps to go we had a 5 second cushion on 9th and I was in 8th with a draft. On lap 14 6th made an error And had to gather it up, dropping a few spots, moving me into 7th and on the final lap the Mazda in 6th made an error, giving me that spot. I had kept my tires in good shape driving easy and not forcing the issue for most of the race. The battling others had been doing seemed to leave them struggling a little more the last two laps. Corvette was good all around at Fuji. I’ll take 6th.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2020
  12. Lewmatic

Lewmatic

Well this was a waste of a race day. The driver that spun me out by dive bombing in round 15 was back to his crazy ways again. Lower mid pack is the worst and got thrown into the sharks after this situation and spun out putting me in the back and finishing in 18th

Tried again in the final slot and got screwed over again. Didn't bother to finish it....

13. roamingbard13

roamingbard13

I’m happy to have the conversation about it.

The first lap I was avoiding contact. The field was so bunched up that I spent much of that lap off the throttle and people were braking in weird places. I’m guessing 4 wide isn’t ideal through the chicane but I didn’t just toss it up the inside like the fellow who hit me did.

In the second video, he missed the apex and I barely touched him, and then I gave him plenty of space. If that’s worth of the retaliation that he gave, then this isn’t the game for me. He would have had the position at the next corner anyways.

edit: watched them again. I’d play the first one the same exact way I did. Honestly not sure what I’d do differently in that situation again.

for the second, I was probably a little aggressive, but I still don’t think it’s worthy of the result. I was knocked off the track 5 times between my two races tonight, and I didn’t respond to those incidents whatsoever.

14. GTWolverine

GTWolverine

Once again got put in a sub-200 point room for the final slot of Manufacturer's, with the win being worth 198 points, so basically I had to win to get a meaningful improvement over some of my other scores.

In qualifying I somehow put together a perfect (for me anyway) lap and blitzed to the pole with a 1:39.08, over 0.3s faster than 2nd place. I'd been struggling to get appreciably below the 1:40 mark in qualifying all evening, as there were some things I just kept screwing up on every single lap, but I finally put it all together when it counted.

For the first few laps of the race, the Aston that qualified 2nd hounded me but wasn't able to pass. I also missed the apex at Turn 1 for the first several laps as I just couldn't properly compensate for the weight of the fuel on board. Eventually 2nd dropped way back coming out of the final corner, and with the slipstream broken, I pulled away by nearly 1s per lap for the rest of the race, winning by over 10s, and bagging all 198 points. This was my first "legit" win (as in a win against my normal DR-level "peers") on a road course in the Manufacturer's series.
    Gran Turismo®SPORT_20200627232904.jpg

15. JoeDaSnow

JoeDaSnow

At round 17 of the Manufacturers Series, I had started 17th and finished 9th with 24 points. The following round, which was earlier today, I had started 16th and finished 5th with 27 points. It cames at the expense of several collisions, which downgraded my SR to B once again.

dlshearon and Pigems like this.
  16. roamingbard13

roamingbard13

low participation tonight I’m guessing...we shouldn’t be in the same split. I entered the last race at 38k And door #18 and the top door # was 44k.

Usually the spread in lower A is only a couple thousand tops.

Congratulations though! My jaw dropped when I saw your lap post. The second room was faster by quite a bit, although perhaps you couldn’t tell, haha.

17. GTWolverine

GTWolverine

Yeah I definitely would've been in trouble in my first attempt if I was paired with more of the usual suspects. I thought I kept getting such a high door number because my DR was still a few thousand lower than it was last weekend due to the reset I suffered in Race C at Monza, so I was being paired with others who also had lower DR. I think you're right about the lack of participation though, because by the final slot I entered the race at 43k and I've been placed in races with A+ drivers before with that DR rank. Even though we might not normally end up in the same split, you looked like you were holding your own behind AndreiSav before you went off. He's in most of my races and we often can't get away from each other.

18. KosmoKazi

KosmoKazi

Had to run another Fuji race in the SR Rehabilitation Class, because I was stupid and drove in some Daily races after my first (and satisfsctory) attempts. I was perilously close to a reset, after some totally bogus SR hits in Daily Race A and C. It was a death spiral. Then it occurred to me that I could have rerun a Fuji race, since my FIA points haul was nothing worth keeping first time, and since it paid 30 SR pts in the first clean run, so it would have been the smart solution to the SR hit in the first place.

…but I didn’t think of that til it was almost too late, and had tried to repair my SR in more Race As and A C… both resulted in even more stupid and undeserved penalties ( for example: guy loses it on his own, tank slaps off and back onto track, hits my rear quarter before I can slip by, and I get massive SR reduction) so I entered the last FIA time slot for Fuji with 66 SR points, and said some Hail Marys.

Mother of God- I was never so nervous in this game. What a lobby of … I don’t know. People were all over the track.Right from the warmup. I was scared I was gonna end up tapping someone who was losing it or some other nonsense, and get my DR reset. Scrapped my way to 6th starting position with no effort to get a tow. Because… yeah.

The motley lobby was good for 70 points to win! So… it was just going to be: survive, try for a clean race bonus and no DR loss.

Thankfully I was able to avoid any problems in the race… not by chance, by active effort, and got a clean race to finish the night at 96 again. Let another Porsche squirm his way to a 5th in front of me, to avoid any contact, while trying the manage a gap behind me. Ended up with a little positive but negligible DR, to end the night at a new high mark. I’ve never walked away from the game without a 99 SR, but this time I stuck to my guns and exited the race lobbies for some practice at Laguna and RBR.

Never. Again. Will I enter dailies with this account.

19. vvise

vvise

The races tonight were fun, did all 6 slots. I was plagued by this phantom penalty at Willow. I think it's for touching the triangle of paint after the cones on the right? I can cut that dirt MUCH harder and as long as i don't touch the paint I get no penalty. It was frustrating and distracting. I got it 3-4 times :(

examples but i swear lol

The final slot race at Fuji was REALLY good. I was only 5 tenths off pole but in 12th position, very close pace room. It was battles all race and some people couldn't handle it. Kept my nose mostly clean and worked up from 12th to 5th :)

Some funny clips of what it's like to drive in the mid-pack

The whole race if you have time:

20. Timm Sheehan

Timm Sheehan

Ok, need some help here. I know the racers around you were crap and you probably didn't meet your goals for the race but why quit? I hear of a lot of racers quitting a race because of idiot drivers or crappy penalties and I am not understanding the quitting. I race every chance I get and when things don't go well I drop back to the rear and at least try to build back the SR I have lost and finish the race (which is usually between 10-15 per race). Am I the only one doing this? Really what I don't understand is why quit this race and turn around a join another?

Side note: I enjoy your posts and videos. Thanks for the posts.

21. RacingGrandpa

RacingGrandpa

I do this too. There is always something to gain from finishing. Be it SR, less DR loss, or just plain experience.

22. Timm Sheehan

Timm Sheehan

I get mad at the crazy (or stupid) drivers, the crappy penalties, and even my stupid driving but just recompute my goals for the race and drive on. Another thing is - it is a game so in my mind I continue to try to just finish this section of the game (IE race).

Of Note Here: I AM NOT CRITIQUING ANY DRIVER FOR QUITTING A RACE EARLY. I am just trying to understand it.

23. MCL1974

MCL1974

I quit races, mostly when I have incidents with other drivers ramming me off and getting stupid penalties. Why i quit? simply, because i race for fun. and when others are trying to ruin my fun then i leave. I do not see the point to continue and be annoyed. I switch the console of and go and do something else, like krav maga practice, deer hunting with an automatic rifle, cat kicking, wife beating (just kidding) or whatever brings me back in a good mood :lol:

I do NOT quit races because my results are not good. I am crap at this game and I know that so I accept driving midfield or worse. I do not accept though being frequently divebombed, rammed, blocked etc, and when that ruins my result it ruins my fun in the activity. I accept it happens sometimes during a race and i can live with it and carry on but you have some races where it just goes on and on and then I am out of there....

I understand the point of saving SR/DR but to be honest i do not care enough about that to continue with something i have no enjoyment in, and i will take the punishment in DR/SR drop. Also, no matter if the lobby is S, A, B whatever, there are rammers in all.

nowadays I tend to avoid any races with a very high chance of incidents so have not done any races this weekend and as a result I am all zen.....:D

24. CurbHog

CurbHog

Yea, after an unforced error I dropped for 5th. :banghead: I was enjoying the chase and saw how you was hit. I was actually tempted to take him out in retaliation for you as he was next to me on the straight .. :cheers:
    however, I was able to brake late and put him behind me.
    I will post a video during the day.

25. Lewmatic

Lewmatic

I finished the first race and went ahead and tried again not for better results but for room of decent drivers but the last slot which had a few of the same drivers as before including the one from the first video giving me the same problems so the fun factor was gone. After that hit in turn 1 I was 50/50 on if should continue being how late it was in the night for me. Didn't care about the points cause I'm just doing this for fun and trying to have good fun races. But when you have to spend most of the race dodging wild dive bombers and dirty racers than actual racing it's not so fun.

Also thanks for enjoying my videos, Gr.3 NSX is a handful but I'll finish out the season in it.

26. Jwptexas

Jwptexas

Finally back into the Gr3 cars, I'm pretty slow at Fuji historically but I was determined to put it all together yesterday. Entered the first slot and put down a qualifying lap of 1:39:7xx with no slipstream, 2/10ths from pole to put me 5th for grid start.

Ford GT is kind of a monster at Fuji, had a good battle with a Corvette and Supra majority of the race, likely I should have got past both of them considering I managed to close a 2 second gap. However the pole sitter who had found himself in 4th I found out later, power went out going into T2 leaving me no where to go but into his rear end and my SR down arrow when the computer took over and threw the hazards on just feet in front of me.

That allowed the Corvette and Supra to gap me while I came to a dead stop and I lost the slipstream. Meanwhile my nice cushion over 5th about 3 seconds turned into 1 second and allowed the Lexus to catch my slipstream. Eventually I pulled myself and the Lexus around the track catching up to the bumper of the Corvette & Supra, made a move neither expected on final turn lap 15 and drag race down the stretch and settled back into 4th to finish the race.

One and done in the GT LM once again... I really wanted to race again but took the points, 171 my 3rd highest on the season which puts me back into 5th for Ford in North America. I don't see myself putting up any points at Red Bull and Nurburgring is always a gamble for me. Hoping my 30 point cushion over 6th is good enough at seasons end. I'd sure hate to lose out to star player again on final week :banghead:

Good to see @GTWolverine in my slot never saw him in the race but glad to see your DR bounced back quickly!

Razgriz2118, Pigems, wedjim and 5 others like this.
  27. Jwptexas

Jwptexas

Sounds a lot like my experience lately. It's been a wild ride up 60k DR down to 43k DR over couple of weeks. I know I missed out on some good results just due to being in lobbies I probably had no business being in. Sure, 100+ points for last is great to some but I'd rather be in competitive lobbies.. slowly trying to find my place with my racing peers. 40-50k DR seems to be the sweet spot for myself. 60k+ the lobbies seemed brutal bunch of aliens. Some of the best races I've been apart of in the 6 months or so I've been playing just couldn't keep the pace. Doesn't help when you're too nice during racing those guys, thinking damn I don't want to screw someone up since their fighting for real points and top 10s in manufacturer.

Of course I'm doing myself no favors at all running cars like 17' GT against META xbows and racing gr4 races I really can't stand. I just love racing too much to sit out and only compete at tracks I'm good at.

28. sk1719

sk1719

Did the last 2 slots for Manu race. First race I got put into a lobby with all D/S drives since my SR was at 86. Got pole by 3 seconds. Took the win for a whopping 23 points! Thankfully that race brought my SR back up to 99.

Last slot I got put into a proper lobby with GTWolverine. Qualified 4th with no slip. First couple laps was me falling back to 7 or 8th. Not doing well with cold tires. Finished 6th but need at least 4th or higher for points to count. I'll take the positive DR gain though.

29. HaydenFan69

HaydenFan69

Who else is super giddy to be going back to the greatest circuit on the planet; Laguna Seca? I get the knock on it with the Group 3 & 4 cars, but with Group 1 prototypes, this is a whole different ballgame.

Razgriz2118, Pigems, barak181 and 2 others like this.
  30. CurbHog

CurbHog

Race 18 at Fuji - Race Edit : 8 minutes
    Starting in 10th was ok, but I needed 5th or better to improve on point standings.
    Well, I did an unforced mistake but the upside was that I got to chase @KosmoKazi in his white Porsche.
    (@KozmoKazi - when I looked at the replay, it did not look that there was any bad intent from the Peugeot that you collided with. Look at it. Later that lap I had a very clean side by side race with him)