2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
:banghead::banghead:
One and done. Started at the pointy end. Survived T1 and short shifted with the car that finished behind me. A couple players being too speedy, were losing grip before pit stops. Everyone up to P8 pit Lap 7 or 8. I went one lap more. Set Fuel 2, for my out lap on RS. Dropped a couple spots, but made those back up. Caught my original battle pack.

Start

Finish

I never want to see, think or talk about that race ever again. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

G'day going for this in Australia first, D4 but 15 of 19 in standings it's the usual B/A - D/A and here that could be fun or even funny. Bad Q, first lap spoiled by a slow guy and really didn't hook the second up so Q18. Since the tyre fail too quickly here and I recon crashes will be common I decided to start on meds and see how it goes. I use this as a bit of a test bed so not expecting great things anyway. OK one stop is not a good idea, had to stick to meds as even stretching it to 7 was dodgy, should have tested more :banghead: Never mind cleanish race except for being CODed and the guy didn't get a pen so back to S and came 16th. Will try last slot.

so anyone have a suggestion for the Gr. 3 race at Maggiore for Round 8? I haven't chosen a manufacturer yet, so I was curious what car would be best to test.
Sorry, just jumping in with a response for this. I have had a few test runs of this as i wanted to see if my Jag is going to be competitive or if my season is done! Ran it with a couple of other cars to compare. Its 19-20 minute race. Need to refuel. Best strategy so far seems to be 8S/8S/8S/2H. Obviously if the car is good on tires or fuel then you have an advantage. Need to add fuel roughly after 16/17 laps. 5-6 second pit stop. Oh and the fuelling glitch on this track is still there (at least in custom race it is). Make sure you overfill by at least 1 lap!!!!

Lower lobby so I'm going to lose points even if I win, again spoiled Q but a bit better time and Q6 but I think I'm ranked 5th so still bad. going for S/S/S this time, 5/4/4 hopefully. Try a little fuel saving and refuel 2nd stop.
Didn't bother saving fuel just tried to keep up, was 3rd most of the way except at stops and the front 2 did one stop so my soft pace was their med. So really I just finished where I should have done which is never a bad thing.
Not a bad race, the car does OK on the track it's just COD you really need to take care there and although I did take it slow I only mucked it up badly once and even then I only lost a bit of speed and tapped the wall after exit.

Lower lobby so I'm going to lose points even if I win, again spoiled Q but a bit better time and Q6 but I think I'm ranked 5th so still bad. going for S/S/S this time, 5/4/4 hopefully. Try a little fuel saving and refuel 2nd stop.
Didn't bother saving fuel just tried to keep up, was 3rd most of the way except at stops and the front 2 did one stop so my soft pace was their med. So really I just finished where I should have done which is never a bad thing.
Not a bad race, the car does OK on the track it's just COD you really need to take care there and although I did take it slow I only mucked it up badly once and even then I only lost a bit of speed and tapped the wall after exit.

Do the 5 laps on the last stint when the car is lightest on fuel, it will help to save tires a little bit more. 👍

Last edited:
Do the 5 laps on the last stint when the car is lightest on fuel, it will help to save tires a little bit more. 👍
I worked that one out as I was pitting on lap 4, but I did the 5 second as I hadn't had to race with that set and they were wearing better than the first set, didn't want to be in a situation where I needed grip on the last lap. But yeah 4/4/5 should be the best, only fueling at last stop so you carry as little as possible.

I haven't heard about that one, what's the glitch?
Happens on this track for some reason, but for example, if there's 10 laps left, you add fuel until it says you have 10 laps of fuel but as soon as you leave the pits it will suddenly say you have 8.8 laps of fuel remaining!

Edit: Just run another test to show it:

Entered pits with 0.8 laps left

313FC6FB-FE54-4117-BCBC-FB425CFA89ED.jpeg

Filled it to have 11laps left even though 10 laps of race left

9CEF69F1-7E81-49C2-9E40-2FCF80DA607B.jpeg

left pits and only had 9.8 laps left

A773B491-0BFD-4F35-9B62-1FC84F16D3B7.jpeg

Last edited:
I worked that one out as I was pitting on lap 4, but I did the 5 second as I hadn't had to race with that set and they were wearing better than the first set, didn't want to be in a situation where I needed grip on the last lap. But yeah 4/4/5 should be the best, only fueling at last stop so you carry as little as possible.

If you shift all gears at the red mark or slightly before, the whole race, and then the blue mark only for going into 6th gear, you can make the whole race without refuelling, and that’s without a draft. With a draft, you can probably push a little harder maybe. :)

6B021394-8446-4012-9E16-61DC443E027E.jpeg

Short shifting would be the same as altering power no? So setting it to 2 or even 3 would have the same effect but be easier to do? Just I change by sound not looking at dials, could maybe train myself but I always want the easy option.

Hello everyone, long time, no post. I hope you all have had a safe and good holiday season! School got extremely busy and other life stuff (and other video games) have pulled me away from GT Sport, but even with the end of this FIA Exhibition Season, I think I'll give the last races a go just to ease myself back into it since I haven't raced online since October.

Aaaaaaand of course the upcoming Nations race seems to be one no one particularly likes lol, not that I blame anyone since after doing some practice laps, the Mini VGT really likes to understeer, and this tire wear really kills the front tires. For me, by the 5th lap on a stint on Softs, the tires are teetering on death, and on the 6th lap they're dead. For me, free-run practice last night netted a 6S/7S strategy to be the fastest while a 4S/4S/4S came in second. I seem to be losing too much time on Mediums for them to be worth it, and the two-stops will be more risky due to traffic. I'm thinking I'll only do the two-stop if either something goes catastrophically wrong for me during the race or if I'm matched with a ton of much-faster people.

Also, I'm not going to run the Nurburgring Manufacturer race, so anyone have a suggestion for the Gr. 3 race at Maggiore for Round 8? I haven't chosen a manufacturer yet, so I was curious what car would be best to test.

It's a major fuel saving race and tire strategy is going to be all over the place from the testing I did.

Great to see ya back around:cheers:

Last edited:
Started 4th, finished 3rd. Should have finished second but on lap 12 as I was catching up to a Spaniard who had pitted earlier than me he got to the hairpin at the bottom of the hill, moved under braking and I got a 1 second penalty. An absolute ****ing joke.

I fuel saved, race was won in 22:55 by a guy who pitted twice. Fun race, might go again.

Last edited:
D11 Q12, got CODed again lost about 10 secs and then had damage yet the guy gets a 3 sec penalty so great. I did him on the last lap though, Id say revenge was sweet, but it's not I came 14th without his move I'd have been 8th maybe even better.
Did the short shift and because I was get towed went 4/5/4 at the last pit had 3 laps fuel left so might have made it, but fueled a bit to be safe. Hard to be sure, but think I saved more time no refueling than I lost through short shifting so thanks people for helping out there.

Had a crack in the Mini at Seaside.
B S grouping :nervous:
3rd out of pits for qualifying, plenty of space in front & behind, car 2 hits wall coming out of the COD on out lap so 1st flying lap compromised, create a bit space for 2nd flying lap and car 1& 2 hit the wall coming out of COD another compromised lap :banghead:
13th on grid for start.
Lots of drama off the line end up 3 abreast at T1, keep it tight but get punted into other drivers at T2 & awarded 5 sec penalty!
Serve my time but end up behind a driver who brakes HARD for the 2nd part of the COD :confused:
Another 2 sec penalty :indiff:
One & done, back to the daughters christmas pressie to me, Last of Us 2, for some stealth kills, gonna pretend they are all COD brakers & deserve death :lol:
Good luck out there, you're going to need it 👍

Last edited:
Happens on this track for some reason, but for example, if there's 10 laps left, you add fuel until it says you have 10 laps of fuel but as soon as you leave the pits it will suddenly say you have 8.8 laps of fuel remaining!

Edit: Just run another test to show it:

Entered pits with 0.8 laps left

View attachment 983061

Filled it to have 11laps left even though 10 laps of race left

View attachment 983062

left pits and only had 9.8 laps left

View attachment 983063

I wasn't aware of that glitch, thanks for mentioning it!

It's a major fuel saving race and tire strategy is going to be all over the place from the testing I did.

Great to see ya back around:cheers:

Sounds like it'll be an exciting combo, and I'm glad to be back! Hope I'll see you on the track! :cheers:

Not a lot to tell for me on this race got wiped out in qualifying by someone who thought they were playing Wreckfest so started at the back. Race continued in same vein with punts all over the place, finished 15 and very frustrated.

Going back to race C to try and get an actual race instead of bumper cars, sigh

Last edited:
One and done. That was a very aggravating race, no intentions of repeating that even though I know I have the pace for a very strong result. I have to agree with BalsBrother above - this is bumper cars.

Started P3, finished P5.

I didn't have a great run off the line then got my braking point for turn 1 a little wrong so I ended up doing very deep. Thankfully it didn't take anyone out, but I ended up sandwiched in on all sides and lost several positions over the first lap from being stuck in horrible situations.

I got a 1 second penalty at the start of lap 6 because the leader who was doing a 2-stop had emerged from the pits and we touched going into turn 1. That was frustrating because I'd just spent a couple of laps trying to get past a couple of Portuguese drivers who had been fighting and had managed to get past both of them at the last hairpin. The penalty dropped me back behind both of them... :irked:

Then just to add insult to injury, I had been fighting with a Czech driver for most of my second stint. Up until the last lap, all of the defending had been in a way I can't find any fault with. For some reason however, the door was left wide open on the final hairpin so I went for it. And it would have been OK, had the Czech not moved across in the braking zone for a very, very early apex. I came away with a 2 second penalty for "forcing a car off the track", even though no such thing happened. The penalty cost me 2 positions. :banghead:

At least I only lost 1 SR...

Kicked out of server for 3rd race!

2nd race was a force start, not used to these, didn't know you had to out foot on break. So was 20th, did a 6/7 , ended up with 1.0 lap worth of fuel at end. Picked up a 4 second penalty for the slightest tap, when breaking and turning on the hairpin! Finished 9th, D,S class (just started)

Should I have any traction control on??

Last edited:
Kicked out of server for 3rd race!

2nd race was a force start, not used to these, didn't know you had to out foot on break. So was 20th, did a 6/7 , ended up with 1.0 lap worth of fuel at end. Picked up a 4 second penalty for the slightest tap, when breaking and turning on the hairpin! Finished 9th, D,S class (just started)

Should I have any traction control on??
Best rule of thumb I've found is that TCS 1 is good for standing starts in cars with FF/FR/MR drivetrains, but 4WD generally doesn't need it. You should be able to just floor it in the Mini VGT.

Last edited:
So 1st lap of quali sitting at Q2 so I go all out at COD on the 2nd lap.....and......you guessed it I hit the wall, it was worth the risk as I needed to make up over 0.7 of a second and I kept Q2.
Great bumped at start back in 12th, work hard make up loads of places get into 2nd just before 2nd pit. Had done 4/5 again so 4 laps left and 3.4 laps of fuel, I filled to 3.8 but it was close so I knew I had enough but not enough to fight hard. Come out in 5th (bugger) so pass 4th coming up to COD, but he hits me and I get 2secs, so lap later basically same thing, but I get away clean this time. 3rd pits and I know I should have had 2nd so stupidly chase him. Run out just before line and drop to 7th. 1st was struggling for fuel or tyres at the end so if the race had been clean I might have even won. So annoying.

Back