2020 FIA Series Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by GTPNewsWire, Jun 1, 2020.

1. KosmoKazi

KosmoKazi

Saw you both there! (couldn't remember your GTP handle, @MIE1992, but saw your GT Sport ID in the lobby) Seems the whole lobby got punted?! Maybe that will level the DR impact out... hope so!

So discouraging. I've not had one in so long. I have a 200 MBPS internet connection with hard wires through to the PS4. Shouldn't suffer on account of something or someone else's problem!

I had a nice FP warmup session too, was ready to get it done! Just looking for a solid one-and-done as at this point, it's gonna take podiums to climb in the Nations and Manufacturer's standings both. If it isn't in the cards I'm not going to knock myself out to get one, would rather just build my DR up so that I can earn more solid points for consistent finishes... but of course with this, if I get a DR hit, it's two steps back, again! It's always something...

Oh well... looked like a decent lobby... maybe we'll see each other again in the 18:20 slot!

Razgriz2118, Odiesback and Pigems like this.
  2. MIE1992

MIE1992

Sounds like it’s not just me who’s having issues.

EDIT: If all three of us were in the same lobby, then it may not be an unrealized issue with the servers, but perhaps more of a freak occurence. I suppose we’ll see when I try entering later. I don’t think my DR took a hit, either.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    Odiesback and Pigems like this.
  3. Mistah_MCA

Mistah_MCA Premium

chika_nervous.gif

4. KosmoKazi

KosmoKazi

Seems we are in the clear, any results would have been posted by now. Whole lobby must have been kicked out! See you and @Odiesback in a few minutes?!

Razgriz2118, Pigems and Odiesback like this.
  5. Odiesback

Odiesback

Yes! - Car is ready! Im ready!

So far my DR remains the same as before the disconnect.

MIE1992, Pigems and KosmoKazi like this.
  6. Baka_Marimo

Baka_Marimo Premium

It sucks that there's no N-class race where you can choose to drive whatever the hell you want. I enjoy taking part in those in totally obscure cars. Could've added those instead of having even more Gr.3 and Gr.4 races. We already have ten of those in the Manufacturer Series and then there's another five in the Nations Cup, meaning only five races out of 20 are in different types of cars. And even among those only three of them are in actual road cars. What a shame.

edit: Also, qualifying is going to be completely pointless on SSRX.

Ddkklop, Pigems, Razgriz2118 and 2 others like this.
  7. Lewmatic

Lewmatic

4 laps to go running 3rd in the 18:20 slot and the PS4 cut off the game and ejects my disc...
    Hopefully I won't have the same problem for the next race slot.

Pigems, ToddSalad, JEverettL and 2 others like this.
  8. Ashthebash

Ashthebash

I saw that Spa round and thought "Ok, I did well there last week so it should be a similar race", then it clicked it was Manufacturers and I'm in the FR Merc

Should be fun anyway!

Adam Barber, Pigems and Redneckchef like this.
  9. Moon_k

Moon_k

I know this race happend a while ago, but I've realised I had the recording of round 10 sitting on my hard drive collecting dust. So I've remade the round 10 video to show the multitasking part of the race that wasnt there in the 1st video

Razgriz2118 and Pigems like this.
  10. KosmoKazi

KosmoKazi

FIA Manufacturer's Series Round 19 - Red Bull Ring / Gr4

After a weird disconnect where we all were all disconnected, in the first time slot, @Odiesback and I were matched again along with @Lewmatic in the next slot. All A DR ranging from about 35k - 31k. I unfortunately was #4 this time, instead of the #12 I got in the first aborted grid. This would be a factor at the end!

I qualified a disappointing 13th, without a tow from anyone... but I felt a little better when I saw I was the top Porsche on the grid (out of 4, I think). Maybe the one-stop I'd planned would work for a solid Top-10 in the end.

But after a frantic start, people all seemed to settle into a targeted pace. After a few guys were forced to pit, was in that targeted top 10 spot, but a few of those pit stoppers were able to overtake me in the second half as my tires and fuel situation became critical (expectedly).

I don't know how DSRT-Oliver took his Porsche from behind me on the starting grid, to a podium 3rd!. He claimed to have no-stopped, and he was flying at the start- he went blowing by me early-- I assumed he was stopping... so hats off to him for that result. I had no such chance.

In the end, I held off a TT in the last turn, with a Hail Mary defense at the apex (I was bracing for a penalty as I exited!) but I ran out of fuel RIGHT before the line, and lost 10th to the Audi. I was leading him with 50m to go, hit my flashers to tip my cap to our late laps battle, but instead it turned into a warning that I was out of fuel (it happened so fast that I didn't mean for that message, but that's how it turned out!)

Ultimately throwaway FIA points and a handful of DR lost again in this race, as a result of that last couple of hundredths and my high door number making the difference between keeper points and a bit of DR to replace what I lost yesterday. THAT CLOSE! Between that and the one position in yesterday's race, turned the round into a waste, instead of a little gain. It's really competitive at this low-A level... I'm enjoying the challenge!

I won't re-run it, it was kind of a grind and if I ran out of fuel and still ended up 11th, it would come down to the luck of the matching again, so I'll live with it. But I will say it was a neat little track to run a Gr4 race on. And, having been to RBR in person, I can say, it's a very beautiful place, and I enjoy racing at that track in GT Sport.

Gonna miss the Saturday races, which bums me out, but on to Stage 3!

[​IMG]
    This close at the line, after leading the Audi until 15 meters to go!

[​IMG]
    Leading @Lewmatic for a bit but it would last that way ...saw his post and now I understand what happened, because I think he was ahead of me for the second half of the race. (Edit: guess it wasn’t Lewmatic here, there must have been another NSX in the field... missed that)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  11. Odiesback

Odiesback

Nice to see @KosmoKazi and so many familiar names there!

Qualified 6th... raced was line a serpentine of cars right next to each other for the initial laps. - made my way to 4th and then to 2nd. Stayed there for many laps until I had to pit on lap 17 for fuel... I thought of not changing tires since I had only 4 laps left, but at the last moment I decided on replacing them.. well that took a long time and came back in 12th I think.. right in the middle of a pack of cars... then a guy in a Mustang decided to force it in the chicane an I ended up in the sand.. came back in 15th and managed to get two positions to finish in 13th.

I have managed to go without tire changed but I just can’t go without refueling...

Will try again maybe! Can’t wait for the N24 circuit next!

12. csmirnoff

csmirnoff

Really happy with today's race! Pace wasn't great but qualified P6 thanks to the slipstream. From the few laps I practised, I was convinced I couldn't fuel save the McLaren to the end with the no-stop.

At the initial laps, pace was pretty slow, so it seemed everyone was fuel saving in the slipstream, so I did the same. Made a few moves and gained places from drivers making mistakes or getting track limit penalties. To my surprise some of the leaders pitted, and before mid-race I was leading. At that point, I finally decided to commit to @Mistah_MCA's strategy. :lol:

A Cayman that was much better on fuel caught up and as I was on fuel map 3 and fuel saving like crazy, I had to let him go. Made it an easy pass so that I wouldn't lose any time. Never easy to concede the lead, but I would have lost more positions otherwise, that way I secured a solid P2. :cheers:

20200701_212431.jpg

13. GTWolverine

GTWolverine

Just did 2 of the Manu races. First race: Qualified 8th, started 7th after someone disconnected during the grid intro, and last of the 3 Corvettes. Did a 1-stop using Softs at the end of Lap 10, and finished 6th and 1st of the Corvettes after one of them tried a no-stop on softs and went off at Turn 2 towards the end, and the other got a penalty on the last lap and served it right in front of me. It was admittedly a more opportunistic move than I'd normally make, but the combo of his slower speed, the inside being open, and it being the last lap convinced me to "send it" into the penultimate corner. I hugged the inside as tight as possiible, but we still touched. However he did manage to stay on track, and we were side-by-side going into the final corner when he turned in on a normal line like I wasn't next to and slightly ahead of him. 170-something points meant I had to go again anyway.

In the next slot, I was 1 of FIVE Corvettes (including @wedjim) and qualified 2nd behind a Viper. I tailed the Viper for most of the 1st stint until he went wide at Turn 1 and got a penalty. I led for a couple laps after that before pitting. Starting the last lap, I was in 3rd with the Viper leading and an M4 in 2nd, both having done no-stoppers. I picked up a 1s penalty at the penultimate corner the previous lap, and added a 0.5s one for running wide out of Turn 1 for good measure. Served them and fell to 5th (and 2nd Corvette since one passed me serving my penalty)...but I needed 2nd anyway to just barely score better than my current 5th-best score, so even without the penalties, my guaranteed 3rd still wouldn't have been enough.

I'm debating running again, because I seem to be lacking just enough pace to not be able to overcome any refueling time I lose. No amount of short-shifting and slipstreaming can satiate the Corvette's thirst. I short-shifted much more in my 2nd race than in my 1st, and when I pitted I had to take exactly the same amount of fuel for both races. At least I'm not as off the pace as I thought I'd be.

wedjim, LVS_1986, Peddler13 and 4 others like this.
  14. Odiesback

Odiesback

Yay! Redemption at last!

First attempt was not good. Decided to go again with a different mindset: more like a manager than a driver.

Qualified 5th. Finished 2nd! No stop!

Started the race well in FM2 mode and mostly in FM4. On first set of laps managed to work my way to 2nd place.

After a while the leader pitted and I gained the lead. Managed to keep a good pace with short shifts, coasting and careful not to get any penalties.

The Driver who was leading before came approaching fast and making up tons of time, and caught up to me 1.5 laps to go.. I let him through and safely secured P2 across the finish line! Can go to bed now!

9B2E770C-C343-43B9-877E-2E561A3FF3FD.jpeg

wedjim, Pigems, Landy1264 and 10 others like this.
  15. 05XR8

05XR8

Nice. The M4 has sweet direct steering. Good you a smooth race.

Pigems and Odiesback like this.
  16. HaydenFan69

HaydenFan69

Can't get shunted when you run in last. Didn't expect anything as the Ferrari is probably the most inconsistent Gr. 4 car track to track. Tried an off lap strategy, but knew nothing would probably work. Must be how George Russell will be feeling this Sunday. Oh well, my fault. Should've went with better judgement. Lost all DR earned from the Nation's Cup yesterday.

17. The359

The359

One good night to one miserable night. My PS4 suddenly decided in the last race to state that I had signed into another PS4, which somehow tricked GTS to think my machine had gone into Rest Mode, which disconnected me from the race. Good times.

Razgriz2118, Pigems and LVS_1986 like this.
  18. Lewmatic

Lewmatic

Well no issue with the console this time. Started in 11th, the race was pretty fun for me. Cutting through the mid pack early and was making up some go time catching up to upper group. Knew I would be closer in range after the leading cars would pit later in the race to run in the top 5 in the last few laps.
    going into the last couple of laps a couple of cars had penalties to serves so i just kept it close until i saw the Audi take out the Evo on purpose in turn 1 for some incident that happened between them the lap before and move me up to 4th finishing back in top 5 again. Really enjoyed this race.

19. barak181

barak181

I didn't get a whole lot of practice in for tonight's Manu. Then work and family life became a thing and I didn't get to run until right before the 4th slot.

Race 1 wasn't great but also wasn't horrible. I qualy'd P16 and ran a 11S/10S. I forgot to fuel save but when I remembered I started to fall of the pace too much, so I went back to full rev. The most remarkable thing about the race was how clean it was. Every single person in the race was spatially aware and made a point of leaving space and racing clean. I took on more fuel than I probably should've had I remembered to fuel save from the beginning but it wasn't too bad. Finished P14.

Race 1 basically turned out to be my warmup for Race 2. Even though it was a faster lobby, I had better pace and more confidence now and qualy'd P5. This time I did remember to fuel save. Again, things were clean and mostly respectful. The eventual winner did get a bit pushy overtaking me at one point but it wasn't all that bad. No harm, no foul. I ran the same strat and took a splash of fuel just so that I could run flat out to the end with no worries about fuel. It turns out it was unnecessary but also didn't make a difference in the overall standings, as I finished about 4 sec behind P4 and 4 sec in front of P6.

Good times.

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20200701184013.jpg Gran Turismo®SPORT_20200701200035.jpg

20. alx42

alx42

I wasn't expecting much from this manufactures race. I qualified 15th. Some .6s off from pole position. The whole field was covered by 1s, except one person that didn't qualify. Mixed A/B room.

I was battling with several drivers for 9-10-11-12 positions for the first 8 laps, and that was the best of it. I had to stop for the hard tires, did one lap, then did another to space it out, yet an Atenza punts me off turn 4 while I try to get into the pits on my second lap. Game over!

Since that went down, I slapped on the mediums and continued on my way. I ended up finishing 16th. At least I beat one of A ranked drivers. lol.

God bless y'all doing the manufactures race this Saturday. I'll be busy with beer and fireworks.

wedjim, Razgriz2118, Pigems and 2 others like this.
  21. HaydenFan69

HaydenFan69

It'll be beer and fireworks on the track on Saturday too.

22. KosmoKazi

KosmoKazi

Nicely done, both of you! Makes me regret I didn’t try it again, since I struggled to the wasted finish in our earlier race. I guess you really have to coast into the turns and manage the fuel use better than I did in that race. But mid pack- it felt like I was gonna get run over if I didn’t push harder, especially in those first laps where I was shuffled back a couple of spots under pressure. I saw a couple other familiar racers and friends in there, too. Like @afc5150 and J2k.

…and man, the leader in that race CHECKED OUT! Wow, impressive.

Maybe the trick was to defend hard in the opening laps and then manage that position you fall into. I don’t know, maybe it was just worst case in that race. But nice to see that it worked out better for those of you that ran it again! It was an interesting change of pace type of race. And not unrealistic in the regards of managing the tires and fuel.

wedjim, Razgriz2118, afc5150 and 3 others like this.
  23. CJam

CJam

I was the sole Audi in that race, started pole but too many mistakes and a penalty let me down! Was fun though...

First time posting on these boards, been stalking you guys for a while! Picked up some good info and raced a couple gents in dailies

wedjim, Razgriz2118, barak181 and 2 others like this.
  24. vvise

vvise

I don't understand why the SLS got nerfed. The extra weight has made the car terrible under braking. Tonight's race was about suffering through the slots until everyone got good points and left, then sweeping whatever crumbs were left in the last 2 slots.

Annoyingly as bad a fit as this combo was for my car I was the 20th/20 driver in the top splits in the first two slots!! Nailed a PB qualifying 51.7 and 51.6 for 18th and 18th place (including a disconnect).

Top split
    [​IMG]

Second split (same time)
    [​IMG]

Really surprising how overpowered PD made the FF cars in a tire/fuel saving race.

wedjim, GTWolverine, Pelikan and 4 others like this.
  25. OutlawQuadrnt

OutlawQuadrnt

Today was one of the most frustrating nights in quite a while. This is why.

20200630_135223.jpg

And this is me trying to save the GT-R's tires and having to short shift more than others. There was a time when I could pull out decent results from this car. Now I'm getting walloped by the FF's and passed by everyone once the car falls off a cliff. To keep my sanity, I refuse to drive this car more than one slot for the rest of the season. There is no point.

wedjim, Razgriz2118, barak181 and 7 others like this.
  26. GR33N

GR33N

Question for you guys: is there any difference between FP conditions and Qualy other than tyre wear?

I was doing easy 51.5s in FP with a PB at .3 but in a lobby before the race (with fuel OFF) and in qualy I was going a few tenths slower (51.6s and above doing 1 lap, pit and repeat), the car was behaving so differently, that was confusing as I never noticed such a difference since the last update affecting Qualy...

I'm with Honda btw.

Thanks!

wedjim, KosmoKazi and Pigems like this.
  27. Ashthebash

Ashthebash

Yes there is a difference but I'm not sure exactly what it is! In FP I was down to a 51.2, my best lobby time with fuel off was actually in my qualy for the race at 51.499. The car always feels a little sharper in FP to me, maybe there's SOME fuel as opposed to no fuel

The Merc was nerfed simply because I picked it and we were heading to a couple of tracks I'm decent around! Notably Spa! So I hereby apologise to everyone who is using it!

Nah, I said at the time I didn't think the SLS warranted the extra weight being added and I still don't see why it was done. It's not as if it was the META car anywhere (from what I'd seen)

Adam Barber and Pigems like this.
  28. LVS_1986

LVS_1986

In FP theres no tyre wear, tyres are "perfect" all the time... In Q tyre wear is on, so they are cold etc etc

Razgriz2118, barak181, alx42 and 2 others like this.
  29. RacingGrandpa

RacingGrandpa

My guess is that they fear the meme videos. A F150 fighting with the Ferraris doesn't look great on the official website.

30. jimihemmy

jimihemmy Premium

Well this is going to be a long one.....

Nations Cup Round 18 - Willow Springs Streets of Willow

Already knew I wasn't going to do this...

Manufacturers Series Round 18 - Fuji International Speedway

I enter with 13 on the door and qualify 15th. The start of the race is glitched as 10-20 all stop as auto drive starts. 10th disappears (disconnected?) and once we get going again, the race actually starts and we are already separated from 1-9. Believe it or not, there really was not much happening in this race. I was in the pack of 10-13 and we all kept swapping places cleanly. The best part about this race is we did it from laps 3-16. That was quite enjoyable but unfortunately, on the last turn on the last lap, I skid a little and lose 11th and end up 13th.
    Gran Turismo®SPORT_20200627180858.png

Nations Cup Round 19 - WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca

I was not sure if I would run this race. I knew I was looking forward to Gr.1 but every practice section I had was awful. I was way off pace and was having trouble keeping it on track. I decided to do it anyway. I could not pass up the chance of running the Gr.1 cars.

I am glad I did....I take my trusty Toyota TS050 to the track with 15 on the door. I qualify 7th after somehow getting into a groove here. I start on softs I am 5th by the corkscrew on lap 1. 4th goes off on the first right hander on lap 2 and by the corkscrew, I am in 3rd. P1 and P2 are slowing me down as they both have poor connections and are teleporting everywhere. Its hard to go fast when you don't know where they actually are. So I just try to keep my distance.

I eventually grab P2 on lap 5 right past the penalty zone. I try to increase my pace as P1 has built a little lead. I take P1 on the end of lap 7 when the leader grabs some dirt on the final turn. For the whole lap it seemed like he was not taking into account worn tires and kept using his same brake points and it bit him there.

I pull into the pits on the end of lap 9 still P1. I pull out in P5 on mediums. I am back to P3 by lap 12. I take P2 as P2 pits on lap 13. I m reeling in P1 and he pits on 14. I figure I have this in the bag. I am driving very consistently and just wonder how long I can make the mediums last. I had originally planned a 3 stopper but it was going so well that I abandoned that idea. I lead from laps 15-22. I pit to take on hards and come back out P2. I hold that spot until the end. I was very pleased as I was unsure how I would do going into this. P1 1 stopped and won by 5.5 seconds. It is also my best total of the season!

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20200630215208.png

Manufacture Series Round 19 - Red Bull Ring Short Track

You know its a sign when you feel bad with 3 on the door. I didn't practice much for this race so I was not sure what I was in for. I qualify 19th but the whole field was within 1.5 secs from 1-20. There was not a lot of excitement but I did have some great close racing with a fellow SLS and we went back and forth the whole race. We raced clean and close and it was a pleasure to race him. We would trade taking the inside or outside of turn but stay side by side with minimal contact. It was great.

The race...not so much. That was my only excitement here but I did manage to finish 14th so it wasn't all bad.
    Gran Turismo®SPORT_20200701214014.png

See you out on the track!