2020 FIA Series Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by GTPNewsWire, Jun 1, 2020.

1. adokeeffe

adokeeffe

8070534108168617984_0.jpg

What a day. Things weren't off to a great start from the outset - several run ins with rammers and cheats in the Daily Races had left my SR rating at A. During the course of the morning I had aimed to get my rating back up to S to help with matchmaking and the available points for Round 11, but things got even worse and my rating fell to a dismal C. But as the drivers changed and as I worked on my qualifying time, suddenly I found myself on a roll of clean races, pole positions and podiums. A few hours before Round 11 opened I was at A/A, for the first time in 2 years.
    8079541300846691336_0.jpg

Needless to say I was excited for the race. But I had not expected to continue my roll of good fortune; I managed to avoid several near accidents in qualifying and qualified on pole again. And having switched back from Jaguar to Aston Martin, I needed the win. And as the lights went out, I drove away with it. Of course some people always think they can do better - the Aston Martin driver behind in the DBR9GT1 was flashing their lights half a second behind me, for an entire lap. And in doing so cut a corner and incurred a 0.5 second penalty. Should have kept both hands on the wheel mate. And with that I drove away with the win, crossing the line some 5 seconds ahead of the 2nd placed Manthey Racing Porsche, with the DBR9 in 3rd. What a day.
    8070534110855069696_0.jpg

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20200603204039.jpg

2. Lost Sheltie

Lost Sheltie

Tried the Manufacturers race a couple of times yesterday, and tbh didn't do very well. 1st attempt I did a 1:24.0 in quali, 0.6 of pole and started 19th. Picked up a few places but eventually got stuck behind someone so only got 16th.

2nd attempt I got a 1:23.9, 0.4 of pole and 13th. Again picked up a couple of places, but not much you can do at Brands Hatch unless you are much quicker. Probably had about 0.2 better if I had nailed the lap, but C'est la vie

I do like the track, but unless you throw in some strategy I tend to find the races are a bit processional (unless you are really willing to dive bomb for position).

I did have a go at the time trial for Saturday's race at St Croix, and man that track is infuriating. The track is so wide and long that I kept on making little mistakes all over the place. I think my optimal is about 0.75 secs faster than my actual best time. I think it will be a good race though.

No idea how long the mediums will last so no idea on the strategy for this one.

3. MCL1974

MCL1974

4. larrybr07n

larrybr07n

I totally love Brands Hatch but coming from the :censored: show of Interlagos, I thought being a B driver at BH was going to be rough. For once I was pleasantly surprised.

In qualy, I couldn't find a slipstream buddy with similar pace and couple of tiny mistakes in my best run out me in 6th, not bad but I thought, well, I'm in for a punt at the start.

To my surprise, I get past the first couple of corners unscathed, gain one position when 5th goes a bit wide and found myself in a group of 6 cars breaking away from the pack. From there I just put down a solid drive, no mistakes and I have to give it to people around me, all very clean. I did the entire last 4 laps or so chasing closely a South African in 3rd but I couldn't find a way through and bringing it home was more important than risking a silly mistake. Finished in 4th.

What a beautiful night, when you encounter clean drivers and you are able to race closely, fair and square, this game is truly awesome.

5. ASH32

ASH32

With regards to the constant light flashing by pad users, it is because it's mapped to the left analogue stick by default so it's easy to push it in whilst driving.

If you do not want to do this and annoy the other drivers, then just change it to another button. ;)

:gtpflag:

6. Pigems

Pigems Premium

Oh wow, that’s awesome! Thanks for letting me know. :cheers:

7. xxPinkyKissxx

xxPinkyKissxx

I'm guilty of this. Noticed i was flashing lights on the last corner almost every lap last night :O

8. Peddler13

Peddler13

My right hand indicator was on the other day. No idea how it got on and I didn't know how to turn it off!

9. Famine

Famine Administrator

R2 on your wheel, touch the right side of your trackpad on DS4.

Peddler13 and Pigems like this.
  10. adokeeffe

adokeeffe

The button inside the left joystick. But the flashing in this incident was only for that one lap as they drew close, and often in a straight line so I'm quite certain they were flashing me.

LVS_1986 and Pigems like this.
  11. 05XR8

05XR8

Running this in Nations. Not much slower than the Supra and 3.5 seconds slower than my 991 time. However, it's nearly 8 seconds slower than #1 in Aus/NZ. Let's have some fun.
    [​IMG]

12. thiagoturbao

thiagoturbao

brands hatch turned out better than expected...was the only BS in the lobby full of AS, quali 6th, ended 5th and got upgraded to AS after the race....Saint croix will be tough tho, first time driving there

13. xxPinkyKissxx

xxPinkyKissxx

He thinks he was being clever trying to put you off copying what the drivers do in real GT races ;)

14. Lost Sheltie

Lost Sheltie

Forgot to say that I really need to stop using cones. In the 2nd race I did last night the cones got annihilated, so I ended up with no idea where to brake into the 1st corner & the 2 fast right handers in the back of the track. I ended up nearly killing myself on the first corner and lost a couple of places, and it took me about 3-4 laps to learn the new braking points.

Morale of the story is, "Even though the cones make things easy to begin with, they could be your downfall in the race so put in a bit of effort and learn without the cones"

Saying all that I will still probably leave them on :lol:

15. Pigems

Pigems Premium

You can reset your cones mid race if you get a moment to do so. :)

16. roamingbard13

roamingbard13

I had that happen in the last round at DTS. I'm not sure what caused it for me, but I noticed that once I was in the race I had very abnormal ping issues. I'm normally 5 green bars all day every day, and I was 2-3 red/yellow bars for those races. I'm not sure why. I did all the hardware stuff that you mentioned, and I also reset my modem and router. I haven't had any issues since. I definitely feel your pain though. I had podium pace at DTS but starting last meant that my P8 finish was about as good as I could have hoped for.

17. Lost Sheltie

Lost Sheltie

??????? What black magic is this? How?!?!??!??!?

Razgriz2118, LVS_1986, vvise and 3 others like this.
  18. ASH32

ASH32

Then you use the brake marker boards and of course some idiot crashes them off too, happens all the time at Brands Hatch. It's not any better if this happens. :lol:

I've never even had the cones on, are they even in good places or a touch early for safety as I would expect?

:gtpflag:

LVS_1986, Lost Sheltie and Pigems like this.
  19. adokeeffe

adokeeffe

The cones are a bit like the brake markers, they don't adapt to the vehicle you're driving so they're only ever a rough guide, and no substitute for practice. But they are useful for judging a line, and signalling when to accelerate out of a corner. Especially in the Esses at Interlagos, or a few weeks back at Kyoto (that sharp left at the back of the circuit).

LVS_1986, Odiesback and Pigems like this.
  20. KosmoKazi

KosmoKazi

Not sure I can make the Race Saturday night, but man, I want to live at Kyoto Driving Park. What a place. How about this view as you come up the crest when driving in the reverse direction like in this weeks FIA race? Wow! Nice work, Kaz.

And: the X-Bow. Just because you can... doesn't mean you should. The Toyota drives hella lot nicer, and I bet will make a decent race car. Not sure if other more popular META will develop with more practice times, but I liked how that one felt.

upload_2020-6-4_8-45-52.jpeg
    The money shot. Look at that horizon when you reach the top of the hill at Kyoto!

Jwptexas, 05XR8, Razgriz2118 and 3 others like this.
  21. RacingGrandpa

RacingGrandpa

Options: driving lines: cones off. Then on

22. Pigems

Pigems Premium

This, it works best on a decent straight away so you don’t lose any time while doing it, brands would be a tough track to pull it off on, but I’ve done it many times on other tracks. :)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  23. Peddler13

Peddler13

I am, on average, 7 seconds a lap slower than the top times for most races.
    I had never driven the Kyoto track in reverse, and I was planning to skip the race anyway, but I tried a couple of laps anyway. Good for laughs. Skipping St Croix(?) because I am not familiar with that track either.
    I have been practising with a group 4 car at DT Seaside reverse, for the nation's race there next Tuesday..The strategies used in that race will be interesting. If I start on the Mediums, I just fill up normally in the pit stop and make it all the way to the end. However, if I start on the Hards, I fill up in the pit stop but it is not enough to make it all the way to the end without some fuel saving. I am not sure what to do as I would usually start on the Hards and pit early to get out of traffic. Do you think this might be more beneficial?
    Also looking forward to the Fugazi race at Tokyo East outer loop. I was wondering if the race here will be wet. I have looked at the schedule and can't see anything to say.

LVS_1986 and Pigems like this.
  24. GTWolverine

GTWolverine

Last time I raced at St. Croix in Gr. 4, I finished almost last (I believe 17 of 19) because I couldn't make the Soft tires last even 2 laps due to the high tire wear multiplier (and I believe that was on the SHORTEST layout of this track too...). Hopefully I should have some pace with the decreased tire wear this time. Theoretically it should be easy to do the race on just the Hard tires without stopping, and still have plenty of tire life left, but I'm sure doing a stint on the Mediums before using the Hards will be faster.

25. roamingbard13

roamingbard13

I ran 4 laps in a lobby this morning before I got called away. 7 laps on mediums should be easy to do, and fuel isn’t an issue either.

pit stop is 10 seconds. Haven’t run an laps on hards but I’d bet the mediums are 2+ seconds a lap faster at minimum.

26. GTWolverine

GTWolverine

Yeah I believe the Maggiore round also had 3x tire wear, and Mediums were the only option for that and it was an easy no-stop. Strategy should be pretty simple for this one: 7M/1H or 1H/7M.

27. Pigems

Pigems Premium

@iGoFast put the Nerf’d Alfa in the top 10! Awesome! :D

21CC21B3-BC20-45E1-B21F-98C2AB4A8C63.png

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    DK, barak181, Granadier and 15 others like this.
  28. xxPinkyKissxx

xxPinkyKissxx

OMG i never knew that!!! My son even said last night in the middle of the race, be good if you could reset the cones wouldn't it mummy!! :lol::lol:

29. Odiesback

Odiesback

FIA Manufacturers Series @ Brands Hatch

Like many others here, I was hesitant to race this round but I decided to bite the bullet and give it a try, otherwise I would be left wondering what if.

SUMMARY: got #8 on the door, qualified 7th and got the M6 across the finish line in 6th!

THE SETUP: FM 1, BB +2, TCS 0

STRATEGY: to stay on track (Note to self: very important)

THE QUALIFYING: some screwup and I saw myself in P19 at completion of L1! - on L2 moved to P4 and in the end settled down in P7.

THE RACE: after 3 laps, managed to move up to P4 until I was punted going down the hill after T1. Got on the grass, hit the wall and resumed the race in P7. - gained some positions and stayed in P4 for most of the laps. Finished 6th after decision not to engage in battles with some over anxious Porsches!

Very clean race where staying on the track was half the battle. Loved the raw power of the M6 coming out of the fast turns!

On to Saint-Croix... God that looks like a long track!

CCD756A9-3970-4A0D-89D3-0B8F9DF43357.jpeg

30. RacingGrandpa

RacingGrandpa

I can't wait for that to turn up in the GT sport official stream

Redneckchef, x5abotagex86 and Pigems like this.