2020 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar ChampionshipSports Cars 

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 678 comments
That article doesn't make it sound very promising, sadly. I haven't heard an update on Brian Till either (he is currently battling throat cancer).

I'm so let down and disappointed by the sound of the C8.R. The distinct thunderous roar is gone, now it sounds more whiny like an angry paper shredder and just blends in with the rest of the cars. The Cadillac DPi's now sound the best followed by the RSR Porsche. I know innovation is needed but man I'm really gonna miss that sound from the C6.R/C7.R's. The flat plane V8 even sounds good in the Mustang GT350R. Long live the C7.R you will be missed :(
And the yellow livery looks good, needs a big Jake emblem though. I dont care for the silver livery at all, both cars need to be yellow.

Last edited:
I'm so let down and disappointed by the sound of the C8.R. The distinct thunderous roar is gone, now it sounds more whiny like an angry paper shredder and just blends in with the rest of the cars. The Cadillac DPi's now sound the best followed by the RSR Porsche. I know innovation is needed but man I'm really gonna miss that sound from the C6.R/C7.R's. The flat plane V8 even sounds good in the Mustang GT350R. Long live the C7.R you will be missed :(
And the yellow livery looks good, needs a big Jake emblem though. I dont care for the silver livery at all, both cars need to be yellow.

I'm equally disappointed in the new sound. :yuck: That's progress I suppose. I think if the vettes are to use different liveries though, they should revert to their 2007 inverse black/yellow vettes. 👍

I hate to say it, but I often write off Daytona as a quality race due to the often poor BoP issues there. The only joy I get is the endurance aspect, but it always seems a handful of cars are done wrong (or too right), etc. I don't know how much of a solution there is to this when you start your season with a bizarre style of 24 hour race (the banking being unique in the IMSA series etc.).

I do hope they get it better this year. In the 5-6 years that IMSA has been a joint series, the BoP was awful last year most notably.

Some good actions after the first restart... ;)

EDIT: I somehow watched the whole thing in one sitting, didn't feel like i wasted my time at all because he decided to chill 3hours straight in the middle of the night... and surprisingly enjoyed the non-action actions... ;) things were shaking up all the way through and the leaders at the beginning may not be the leaders at the end... That's all the spoilers i am going to reveal: the increment weather didn't make it boring despite the slow pace at the start...

Some good Racing here my friends... and the commentary are awesome IMO

Last edited:
Yeah, he's doing the announcing on that PC race above (been watching it, haven't finished it yet). He sounds like himself, but has a definite slightly unhealthy sound. I'm glad he's on the mend!

RWR has withdrawn from the 24.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/rwr-riley-lmp2-withdraws-from-rolex-24/

source.gif

38 cars is...unfortunate. I hope we don't see any more drop this week. Heck the Michelin support series is around 63-65 entries right now between GT4 and TCR.

38 cars is...unfortunate. I hope we don't see any more drop this week. Heck the Michelin support series is around 63-65 entries right now between GT4 and TCR.

The Michelin series has 51 cars entered. Still considerably more than the main series though.

18 TCR cars for the Conti race is excellent.

First time I won't be at the Rolex in 5 years, pretty bummed tbh.

I go to the Daytona 24 and 12 hours of Sebring every year. I've been really busy with work, normally I read and keep up to date on every bit of news but what is the reason for so many teams dropping out? This series was pretty healthy until now. I know the Ford GT's are done with their GTLM program which was planned. I'm still excited but the low car count is a bit disappointing.

Last edited:
It's not that a ton of teams have dropped out, I don't think the numbers are too far off from last year. However, losing a single GTLM team like Ford drops us by two. A couple of the also-ran DPI teams have backed out due to lack of funding or interest (I think Juncos is gone right?). One of the Aston Martin's is gone because the funding Silver driver injured himself. One of the GTD teams went to GTE over in Europe because ELMS or WEC is cheaper than IMSA right now (the Keating car/team).

The sad part is that you have a lot of teams here just for the big endurance races or the 24 hour itself. LMP2 last year had two...two cars in the full season. So the 7-8 here for the race likely aren't doing the whole season.

The word on all the podcasts is more or less two things: expense and lack of LeMans transferable cars. That could change, but the expenses are apparently extremely high even compared to other series (because of the number of races, the distances traveled, etc?).

It's not that a ton of teams have dropped out, I don't think the numbers are too far off from last year. However, losing a single GTLM team like Ford drops us by two. A couple of the also-ran DPI teams have backed out due to lack of funding or interest (I think Juncos is gone right?). One of the Aston Martin's is gone because the funding Silver driver injured himself. One of the GTD teams went to GTE over in Europe because ELMS or WEC is cheaper than IMSA right now (the Keating car/team).

The sad part is that you have a lot of teams here just for the big endurance races or the 24 hour itself. LMP2 last year had two...two cars in the full season. So the 7-8 here for the race likely aren't doing the whole season.

The word on all the podcasts is more or less two things: expense and lack of LeMans transferable cars. That could change, but the expenses are apparently extremely high even compared to other series (because of the number of races, the distances traveled, etc?).

I'm on my phone so it's hard to segment quotes, but the second Aston is still entered as they found a replacement and the Riley merc is still around, it's just Keating that went to WEC (he is still doing the NAEC races with Riley though).

If you've watched any broadcast over the last few years, you've probably seen the IMSA commercial where at the end they play the line by (I think) Calvin Fish, "This is truly a golden era for sports car racing."

I used to scoff at that a bit but now that I think about it, you had a healthy prototype field (especially when it was 1 class including LMP2), you had a healthy GTLM field featuring the final FR Corvette vs. the gorgeous Ford GT and the ear-shattering Porsche 911, and you had a huge, diverse GTD field with some of the best racing of the bunch.

I'm concerned, but still hopeful for the future. I really hope the powers-that-be will move toward a more global platform (prototype-wise) to allow more teams to afford and justify a program in IMSA.

Last edited:
I think splitting DPi and LMP2 into 2 seperate classes was dumb. I get the BoP standpoint but you only have a few P2 cars (everyone gets a podium) and less DPi than last year so thats also a lower car count whereas keeping them all in one class keeps the numbers higher for the field.

It was like years ago when PC class only had a couple cars in the field so sometimes teams would be doing laps just to finish to get a win.

I think splitting DPi and LMP2 into 2 seperate classes was dumb. I get the BoP standpoint but you only have a few P2 cars (everyone gets a podium) and less DPi than last year so thats also a lower car count whereas keeping them all in one class keeps the numbers higher for the field.

It was like years ago when PC class only had a couple cars in the field so sometimes teams would be doing laps just to finish to get a win.

The screwed up part was that this had nothing to do with Atherton's IMSA. From the info I heard the LMP2 teams were angry about performance issues, and rightfully so. However, they more or less demanded LMP2 be cut away from DPi, and IMSA agreed....only to then find that 2-3 of the LMP2 teams jumped ship to DPI - that's where all the additional Cadillacs appeared suddenly, leaving IMSA looking stupid.

That was a bad look for IMSA and they were just trying to accommodate the teams issues.

Latest Posts

Back