2020 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar ChampionshipSports Cars 

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 678 comments
And the Rolex 24 Hours will complete its return to relevancy

I think it's going to take more than DPi/Hypercar convergence for that to happen. Unless they somehow make it a part of the WEC calendar I just can't see it being the type of event that draws a lot of International entries. Of course, being a big deal within the series isn't anything to be ashamed of either.

Sebring on the other hand could very well make a return to International relevancy if they can find a way to merge the 12 Hours with the 1000 miles. Really the only hurdle for that class wise is GTE-Am and GTD, but even if they kept both it would at least be 4 distinct classes and 1 sub-class, unlike the dreaded 2012 running.

Edit: Thanks to Wright, Black Swan will be able to race.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/black-swan-to-race-in-rolex-24-after-wright-chassis-donation/

Last edited:
The screwed up part was that this had nothing to do with Atherton's IMSA. From the info I heard the LMP2 teams were angry about performance issues, and rightfully so. However, they more or less demanded LMP2 be cut away from DPi, and IMSA agreed....only to then find that 2-3 of the LMP2 teams jumped ship to DPI - that's where all the additional Cadillacs appeared suddenly, leaving IMSA looking stupid.

That was a bad look for IMSA and they were just trying to accommodate the teams issues.

As I recall, the LMP2 pace issue was also further compounded by the fact that there was usually one(and generally only one, for some reason :confused: ) P2 team that seemed to have no problem being right on the pace as far as lap times went, or at least within a tenth or two. And eventually managed a couple of wins. The DPi's power gave them a tactical advantage once the race started of course. As I recall, part of what led to merging the classes was because the P2 teams wanted to be able to fight for overall wins because who the hell cares about class wins, and then when the top P2 team was almost-but-not-quite there they wanted to split away again because it wasn't fair racing cars that made their speed differently.

It was a reasonably awkward situation all-around, but at least some of it comes down to race teams being race teams.

👍

By chance, does anyone know if IMSA will be live streaming their press conference about the ACO/IMSA hypercar DPI convergence? Or will I just be clicking refresh on Sportscar365?

https://www.imsa.com/news/012020/aco-and-imsa-forge-future-endurance-racing

Basic stuff for now.
From article

"The ACO and IMSA have together established the basis for joint regulations to govern the new LMDh category. The objective is that, from September 2021 in the FIA WEC and from January 2022 in the WeatherTech Championship, manufacturers will be able to enter the top category and compete in the two leading championships in endurance racing with this new model of car, LMDh.

The two sanctioning bodies were inspired by elements from each of their respective regulations, namely from the ACO’s Le Mans Hypercar and those in preparation by IMSA for the DPi 2.0.

The result of this convergence, the LMDh car will be:

• Based on a new chassis common to both ACO and IMSA, using elements of the Le Mans Hypercar and LMP2 chassis, and built by the four current LMP2 manufacturers: Dallara, Ligier, Multimatic and Oreca. This chassis will also be used for the new generation LMP2.
  • The car will use a common hybrid KERS system, on the rear axle.
  • Its silhouette and design will be modifiable, developed according to the brand or style of the manufacturer which will provide the engine power for the car
More technical details for the car will be revealed in March at SuperSebring, in a presentation from the ACO and IMSA Technical Departments.

In the future the top category of endurance racing will include both LMDh and Le Mans Hypercar. A balance of performance system will ensure fair competition. "

https://www.imsa.com/news/012020/aco-and-imsa-forge-future-endurance-racing

Basic stuff for now.
From article

"The ACO and IMSA have together established the basis for joint regulations to govern the new LMDh category. The objective is that, from September 2021 in the FIA WEC and from January 2022 in the WeatherTech Championship, manufacturers will be able to enter the top category and compete in the two leading championships in endurance racing with this new model of car, LMDh.

The two sanctioning bodies were inspired by elements from each of their respective regulations, namely from the ACO’s Le Mans Hypercar and those in preparation by IMSA for the DPi 2.0.

The result of this convergence, the LMDh car will be:

• Based on a new chassis common to both ACO and IMSA, using elements of the Le Mans Hypercar and LMP2 chassis, and built by the four current LMP2 manufacturers: Dallara, Ligier, Multimatic and Oreca. This chassis will also be used for the new generation LMP2.
  • The car will use a common hybrid KERS system, on the rear axle.
  • Its silhouette and design will be modifiable, developed according to the brand or style of the manufacturer which will provide the engine power for the car
More technical details for the car will be revealed in March at SuperSebring, in a presentation from the ACO and IMSA Technical Departments.

In the future the top category of endurance racing will include both LMDh and Le Mans Hypercar. A balance of performance system will ensure fair competition. "

Sounds good to me! I hope it becomes a reality. What does LMDh stand for.. Le Mans Daytona hybrid?

Huge news, we will have exciting times ahead.

On another topic, I feel like GT3/GTE convergence is the next thing that need to happen. GTE is dying. I'd love to see GT3 cars at Le Mans 24h!

It's $20 for a whole year, don't be That Guy.

It's worth it just for the privilege of not having to wait nearly a week to catch a replay, especially for the first couple weekends when MPC races on Friday in Daytona and Thursday in Sebring (along with Prototype Challenge).

Huge news, we will have exciting times ahead.

On another topic, I feel like GT3/GTE convergence is the next thing that need to happen. GTE is dying. I'd love to see GT3 cars at Le Mans 24h!

A handful of GTE cars can be modified to GT3 spec and vice versa. I think this is the way forward.

I think there is room for a GT3+ spec car which is aimed at professional drivers and factory-esque teams. I think if the manufacturers could build two versions of a GT3 car, one being the "+" model (bigger wing, better tires, a boost of 40-50 horsepower etc.) The performance could be similar to proper GTE cars but with the allowance that most GT3 teams could swap into it, or swap down from GT3+ to the basic GT3 kit for certain events (whatever benefited the team).

You could eliminated GTE-Am and simply replace it with bog standard GT3 cars, where the pros would have the upgraded version. Ideally this would all be designed efficiently. It would, theoretically, make an attractive option to manufacturers, being able to sell to two different categories of teams, etc.

This year's 24 Hours of Daytona will be 20 years since I've seen my first Daytona 24. Back then, it was on the ESPN networks, and the channel now known as FOX Sports 1 was Speedvision. Some of the cars raced include the Cadillac Northstar LMP, Dodge Viper GTS-R, and even my beloved race car of all time- the Ferrari 333SP. So I've followed the Daytona 24 hour race just about every year since 2000. I'm looking forward to seeing as much as I can of this year's race. And unlike last year's Daytona 24, it is not expected to be any rainy washout according to a weather report I saw on AccuWeather.

Should be a great race and a great season!

A handful of GTE cars can be modified to GT3 spec and vice versa. I think this is the way forward.

I think there is room for a GT3+ spec car which is aimed at professional drivers and factory-esque teams. I think if the manufacturers could build two versions of a GT3 car, one being the "+" model (bigger wing, better tires, a boost of 40-50 horsepower etc.) The performance could be similar to proper GTE cars but with the allowance that most GT3 teams could swap into it, or swap down from GT3+ to the basic GT3 kit for certain events (whatever benefited the team).

You could eliminated GTE-Am and simply replace it with bog standard GT3 cars, where the pros would have the upgraded version. Ideally this would all be designed efficiently. It would, theoretically, make an attractive option to manufacturers, being able to sell to two different categories of teams, etc.
I really like your idea.

Remember the M6 GTLM? Unfortunately it was only eligible for IMSA. I think it would also be an option if that type of conversion could run under the GTE regs. Certainly more manufacturers would do that, if it were feasible.

Hey folks!

So, on the Imsa website the race start is marked 1.35pm EST, but is that the true start time for the race itself, or is it just the start time for the broadcast?

I haven't found a proper schedule from anywhere yet with exact times, so if anyone has better info, and could post it, it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks for the schedule. Also, does Imsa stream the race on their youtube channel for international viewers or do I have to resort to free streams?
I think international viewers can tune in thru IMSA TV on IMSA.com.

For us American viewers, here’s the schedule for TV. All time Eastern.
6A6D4689-77D5-4CBB-BC21-62417809F15B.jpeg

Last edited:
Back