2020 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar ChampionshipSports Cars 

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 678 comments
Still curious to see how LMH does in the WEC for commitments, but so far its really shaping up nice for LMDH. I just hope that the LMDH commitments truly follow through or IMSA is really in deep trouble.

You have Toyota and Alpine (are they connected to Renault/Nissan?) and a couple of other cars. The spec-LMP2 chassis base is what I think is appealing for the category. Instead of building a car from ground up, this sorta goes back to the old Daytona Prototype philosophy.

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/porsche-eager-to-supply-customer-lmdh-cars/

I think this is why Porsche and even Audi saw the LMDh class as the better option. Run the factory programs, but also make some of the money back by selling a few.

Alpine (are they connected to Renault/Nissan?

Yup, once its own standalone Co. before it was absorbed by Renault Sport in the 70's. With the relaunch of the marque with the new A110, Renault is basically using the Alpine brand for the focus of its Motorsport efforts. So starting next year, they'll be rebranding in F1 as Alpine, and they're of course joining top class prototypes again, but with a grandfathered Rebellion R13 next year.

Will be interesting to see how that's BoP'ed with the new Hypercars given the latter are in theory slower. I'd look it as Alpine/Renault evaluating what to do post '21, as they've shown interest in both LMH and LMDh.

Last edited:
I have to imagine Penske or CORE are the most likely options for IMSA teams due to the history of both. Although if Penske gets the factory team hopefully they don't block customer teams like they did with Acura.

I just hope that the LMDH commitments truly follow through or IMSA is really in deep trouble.

Even if they do follow through IMSA could be in trouble if they don't manage costs. It could end up like GT1 where we get a few years of awesomeness but it dies almost as fast as it came to be.

You have Toyota and Alpine (are they connected to Renault/Nissan?) and a couple of other cars.

ByKolles, Glickenhouse, Peugeot and Toyota are the confirmed Hypercar programs. Alpine (owned by Renault) is running the former-Rebellion LMP1 car, they haven't confirmed a Hypercar program yet but it seems like the next logical step considering their move to LMP1.

Edit: Tree'd

Last edited:
I have to imagine Penske or CORE are the most likely options for IMSA teams due to the history of both. Although if Penske gets the factory team hopefully they don't block customer teams like they did with Acura.

My guess is that Porsche will probably have the final say of that over Penske. This article makes it seem like the first order of cars will have privateers factored in so I'm going to guess that there might be privateer Porsches on the IMSA grid.

NASCAR Champion Chase Elliott to be in #31 Action Express Cadillac DPi for Rolex 24.

https://www.motorsport.com/imsa/new...-widget&ic_medium=widget&ic_campaign=widget-1

Now this has gotten me thinking...since Hendrick has drivers (current and past) in the race, and they have had a past venture in IMSA, could we soon see some NASCAR teams in IMSA in the future? It would make sense, since they could be cheap , the intermingaling with AXR and NASCAR with the NEXTGEN, and with the perceived lowered cost with the car itself, those personnel have to go somewhere.......

Austin Dillon will be in the Rick Ware-Eurasia LMP2 car at Daytona.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/dillon-yoluc-join-rwr-eurasia-lineup-for-daytona/

I really am curious what has caused this influx of outside teams and "celebrity" drivers considering IMSA has been trying for some time with little success than suddenly it seems they all come at once. It's just a shame the races after Daytona don't look as promising when it comes to field growth.

Another one joins the party. Solid stuff.
Hope they keep it looking something like the WTR machine, cause in that livery the current Acura is gorgeous.

I appreciate the good years we had with GTLM. It was truly incredible to watch those cars. I hope this "new" cycle with GT3s can bring the same level of excitement.

Back