• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 495 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
The historic 100th season of NFL football saw Kansas City reach the top of the mountain and enjoying the view up top. Even with all the action that occured in Super Bowl LIV after performances by the Chiefs and 49ers, and of musical performances by the likes of fellow Houstonian Yolanda Adams, Demi Lovato, Shakira, and Jennifer Lopez... the Kansas City Chiefs know they are atop the NFL's food chain after Super Bowl LIV in Miami. Question is... who will win it all in Super Bowl LV (February 7, 2021) in Tampa Bay? Only time will tell.

To help you remember how the 2019 season went, here's a look at how the regular season ended last year:

--- LEGEND ---
! = playoff team
!! = Division winner
!!! = Home Advantage

--- AFC: End of 2019 Regular Season ---
AFC EAST: New England!! (12-4), BUF! (10-6), NYJ (7-9), MIA (5-11)
AFC NORTH: Baltimore!!! (14-2), PIT (8-8), CLE (6-10), CIN (2-14)
AFC SOUTH: Houston!! (10-6), TEN! (9-7), IND (7-9), JAX (6-10)
AFC WEST: Kansas City!! (12-4), DEN and OAK (7-9 each), LAC (5-11)

--- NFC: End of 2019 Regular Season ---
NFC EAST: Philadelphia!! (9-7), DAL (8-8), NYG (4-12), WAS (3-13)
NFC NORTH: Green Bay!! (13-3), MIN! (10-6), CHI (8-8), DET (3-12-1)
NFC SOUTH: New Orleans!! (13-3), ATL and TB (7-9 each), CAR (5-11)
NFC WEST: San Francisco!!! (13-3), SEA! (11-5), LAR (9-7), ARI (5-10-1)

So we begin all the hype for the 2020 NFL season with the NFL Draft. Have to wonder who the Cincinnati Bengals will take as 1st Overall. We can wonder many other things. Such as...

* What last place team(s) from last season can have a better season?
* What college players will make the strongest impact in their first NFL season?
* Can the better NFL teams from last season keep their strong form in 2020?
* Can a mediocre team finally break through and arrive?

So many questions... and only the NFL teams can answer those questions and more. Let's talk NFL in 2020 with this thread! Take the kickoff and...

GO!!!

Word has it that the next collective bargaining agreement (CBA) will feature some proposed changes. Among the highlights:

* a 17-game regular season; from 4 preseason games and 16 regular season games, to 3 preseason games and 17 regular season games
* increasing the postseason team total from 12 to 14

Nothing of yet has been confirmed as of the time of this post, but these changes would be interesting. I don't know how you'd implement a 14-team Playoff to determine the mostly better upper half of the 32 teams. These changes could take effect starting with the 2020 NFL season.

I am not sure of official dates, but something I wanted to post long ago involves my Houston Texans' 2020 schedule. Our opponents this upcoming season are as follows:

! = division opponent (AFC South)

HOU's HOME OPPONENTS: Baltimore, Cincinnati, Green Bay, Jacksonville!, New England, Minnesota, Indianapolis!, Tennessee!
HOU's AWAY OPPONENTS: Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Detroit, Jacksonville!, Cleveland, Indianapolis!, Tennessee!

Once the official schedules are released, I'll find out WHEN my Texans will battle these teams in the next season. Or maybe I need to look further online to see if a proper schedule has been released.

That's all.

A bunch of random notes to share...

* The Houston Texans and TE Darren Fells have agreed to a two-year extension at $7M USD. Fells was a quality tight end last season for the Texans. Good we locked him up for a couple more years. We also kept kicker Ka-imi Fairbairn to a four-year deal at $17.65M USD.

* The updated Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) had a Thursday deadline to be voted on, but it was extended to Saturday.

* Some of you gamers may remember a game like "ESPN NFL 2K5." Well, can you imagine a return of 2K Sports trying the NFL? The NFL and 2K Sports have reportedly established a new partnership. According to ESPN's Bottom Line, however, it is said 2K is not planning on a contender to the Madden series.

These are just a few notes to keep the offseason chatter fresh.

Here is an omission from my previous post... this season's Hall of Fame game will involve the Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Dallas Cowboys. As for Marshal Yanda, all the best to him in his retirement.

THIS JUST IN...

The new Collective Bargaining Agreement was approved by NFL players. The Playoffs field will be expanded and will also include a 17-game season. It was approved by a margin to 1019 "Yes" votes to 959 "No" votes. So we'll have to see how much different things will be now with this new CBA.

I know COVID-19/Coronavirus has dominated the news landscape and the world landscape, but this is a good topic to divert recent news topics. So if you have any thoughts on this new CBA and all it entails, feel free to comment. Any other NFL news or thoughts are always welcome.

Titans (and sneak edit: the 49ers too) apparently out of the Tom Brqdy Sweepstakes, Calais Campbell traded to the Ravens for a 5th round pick this draft.

Last edited:
Apparently, with everyone sitting home, the NFL is going trade crazy. Seriously DeAndre Hopkins for David Johnson? That's truly some Madden level stuff right there. Also at least there's free agency news because otherwise, I'm not sure what ESPN would even be showing.

If you're a Houston Texans fan, today is a sad day. The Texans shipped off DeAndre Hopkins to Arizona in exchange for David Johnson. I have heard there were contract disputes with D. Hopkins prior to this. However, you ship off one of the best WRs in the game basically at his prime... for some relative unknown from Arizona. Now people REALLY want Bill O'Brien fired because of this. Well... David Johnson better truly step his game up to replace what DeAndre Hopkins brought to the Texans offense.

Let me share a lighthearted post now. Last night on Twitch, one retro streamer I was watching streamed Tecmo Bowl. I even had fun discussing the 1991 NFL season using the pro football reference website. It was a nice time killer even with the madness on this pandemic. So if you are a bit miffed about this whole pandemic, look for some lighthearted fun. Maybe even play some older football video/computer games.

Still... what the hell were the Texans thinking? I hope this all pays off in the end, but this is still one of those (to quote social media) "SMH" moments.

THIS JUST IN...

The new Collective Bargaining Agreement was approved by NFL players. The Playoffs field will be expanded and will also include a 17-game season. It was approved by a margin to 1019 "Yes" votes to 959 "No" votes. So we'll have to see how much different things will be now with this new CBA.

I heard that an estimated 500 or so players didn't even vote at all which amazes me.

Apparently, with everyone sitting home, the NFL is going trade crazy. Seriously DeAndre Hopkins for David Johnson? That's truly some Madden level stuff right there.

Comparing it to what Buffalo gave up to get Stephon Diggs. Arizona got the freakin deal of the century. :crazy:

I wonder if he's leaving the Pats for another team or leaving to retire? If he does play, I wonder where he'll end up? My guess is the Chargers. Also, I wonder who's going to be the starter in NE now? I can't imagine they're going to roll with Kessler unless they're just going to chance it and see what happens.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that Andy Dalton ends up in NE. At least he'd get to win a playoff game for once if it happens.

I've been seeing rumors of Cam Newton going to NE. I can't see that happening at all, I feel like Belichick wouldn't tolerate him. Although they did tolerate Antonio Brown briefly so anything is possible. Dalton seems like he'd be a safer bet or possibly Rivers? Or what do I know, maybe they'll just find an out of work checkout boy and turn him into an all-time great.

**Scratch Rivers, sounds like he's signing with the Colts.

Tom Brady is DONE with the New England Patriots. So he's deciding to play for...

...the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

I don't know if anything has been made official, but the various musings and such suggest Tom Brady will roll with Tampa Bay for the next chapter of his playing career. How do you see this working out if all holds true?

All I can say is that everything I guessed in the 2019 thread, aside from Dak out of Dallas, has been completely wrong. I'm not sure what to think so far, but I'm sure this isn't the end of the madness...

What's the line on Bill O'Brien finally getting canned?

Detroit is trying so hard to be the Patriots Light during the offseason it's not even funny. I'm surprised they didn't sign Brady.

Does your favorite team need a running back? Well, guess who's on the market? Todd Gurley! The 25-year old played five seasons with the Los Angeles Rams and was released recently. I'm sure a team that is thin at running back could surely benefit from Todd Gurley. I think T. Gurley is a heck of a player. I even liked Todd Gurley back when he played his college ball at Georgia. I wonder who will pick him up. The Los Angeles Rams finished 3rd last season at 9-7.

The Detroit Lions shipped off CB Darius Slay to the Philadelphia Eagles. He signed a three-year deal worth $50M USD to Philly. Detroit finished dead last in the NFC North with a record of 3-12-1. Philadelphia finished last season 9-7 winning the NFC East.

As for here in Houston Texans land... some of us Texans fans are like, "I won't be seeing or supporting the Texans until Bill O'Brien is fired." DeAndre Hopkins (or "Nuk") said he and Bill O'Brien are on good terms and like each other. But with that said, D. Hopkins is ready to be a big playmaker for the Arizona Cardinals now. Damn shame he's no longer a Texan, but you got to perform wherever you go. Now DeShaun Watson will have to hope he can get some chemistry going with David Johnson. We still have Watson making magic happen. So this Texans team isn't entirely dead as long as Watson (and even J.J. Watt) are on the field. The Houston Texans won the AFC South last season and finished 10-6.

It's official- Tom Brady is now a Buccaneer. So the NFC South is going to get themselves some star power with (can't believe I'm saying this after all these years) ex-Patriot Tom Brady. Atlanta, Carolina, and New Orleans are going to have to deal with him twice a season.

I can't believe the Lions trades away Slay for peanuts...wait what am I talking about, of course I can believe it.

I heard NFL teams will be able to sign XFL players now that the XFL was officially cancelled for 2020 thanks to the COVID-19/Coronavirus. Perhaps some of the XFL's talent can help out current NFL teams. Somebody on Twitter even joked that the Houston Texans join the XFL and give the NFL the Houston Roughnecks. Maybe some of the XFL players can be great NFL talent. Teams can start signing players and such starting this Monday.

I wish P.J. Walker well, quarterbacking for my Houston Roughnecks of the XFL. How do you all feel about people like Cam Newton, Jameis Winston, and JaDeveon Clowney (among others) still on the market mostly?

There's a big enough need for QBs, even so-so QBs that Newton and Winston will find jobs somewhere. Even if they don't this summer, by the end of pre-season they'll have jobs when someone ends up hurt or terrible enough to cut.

I heard the NFL approved of the changes to the Playoff format. The field of postseason teams has been expanded from 12 to 14. I think I read the top seeds in the AFC and NFC get a first-round Bye under this new format. So for example, if the Baltimore Ravens and the San Francisco 49ers have the best record in their conference, then they will be off during the first wave of Playoff matches. I don't know how this will all play out, but it does offer some intrigue and interest.

The Houston Texans signed DT Timmy Jernigan from the Philadelphia Eagles to a 1-year deal worth $3.75M USD. Guaranteed money is $1.25M USD. Jernigan has been held back mostly due to injuries the past two seasons. Some Texans fans still will find it tough to forgive the Texans for shipping off DeAndre Hopkins. That said, the Texans still need to make better moves and build a better team than this already seemingly lost cause of a 2020 team.

It is said that the 2020 NFL Draft will go on as scheduled, but of course, with restrictions on gatherings and stuff like that. The draft action begins around April 23.

Just trying to keep this thread busy...

Back