2020 NFL Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 495 comments
Geeeez! Watching Brady's unlikely advance to the playoffs, the NFC championship, the Super Bowl, to winning it all ... was a bit like watching DJT's unlikely advance through the various rounds of the GOP primaries to finally winning the 2016 election. :ouch:

Like many Super Bowls, it wasn't a particularly pretty game.

Last edited:
One thing really confuses me about the Super Bowl. How is it that the audio for the halftime show manages to get worse every year? :odd:

One thing really confuses me about the Super Bowl. How is it that the audio for the halftime show manages to get worse every year? :odd:

Yeah - it was a mushy mess. Vocals barely discernible. Maybe that's just what the Weeknd normally sounds like?

So, this is how it ends... the Evil Empire remants gather in Tampa and blow up the League... AGAIN.

HzoNZE.jpg

All I can say is that I saw it coming from the very moment they beat the Packers...

Last edited:
So, this is how it ends... the Evil Empire remants gather in Tampa and blow up the League... AGAIN.

HzoNZE.jpg

All I can say is that I saw it coming from the very moment they beat the Packers...

The Chiefs won last night in a massive landslide. Every time the Chiefs scored, the Dominion scoreboard software switched the points to Tampa Bay. This is scoreboard fraud on a scale never seen before. BIGGEST CRIME IN NFL HISTORY! STOP THE STEAL!

I think we all can agree that whether you love or loathe Tom Brady, dude gets it done. With all due respect to my fellow GTPlaneteers... he could inherit the Jets, Jaguars, Bengals, or even my Texans and turn them into Super Bowl winners. Kansas City scored first. Tampa Bay... kept on scoring since. In the end, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are your 2020 NFL Champions.

Really, though, I think all teams are winners this season, and here's why. Even in the midst of COVID-19/Coronavirus, the National Football League still managed to go through with a full season, unlike the XFL earlier in 2020. They still had a fairly solid regimen to have players play regardless of the health crisis. More importantly... this shows the power of sports- the ability to offer a welcome distraction regardless of whatever is going on in the world. Sports won't solve the world's problems, but they can offer something more pleasant and enjoyable than all of the bad news stories. So every team is a winner to me this season regardless of final finishing order. Also praise the NFL for making this all happen while trying to adapt to pandemic situations.

Enjoy your title, Tampa Bay... because the 31 other teams want what you won last night come next season! So get ready!

And... that's it. If you care to evaluate anything regarding this past season, go right ahead. Also offer thoughts on what you may look forward to in the 2021 NFL season.

I just watched the game after successfully managing to avoid spoilers all day, and I was rather surprised by the outcome - I thought it would be much tighter than it was.

I felt sorry for Mahomes... he seemed to spend more time running backwards than forwards, and ended up throwing the ball away almost every time, but even under immense pressure he still managed to pull off some remarkable throws, and he was unlucky that none of them resulted in anything useful.

Tampa Bay were immense though. Nothing too spectacular, but their defense was incredible and completely destroyed the Chiefs offense. The Chiefs were rattled, esp. in Q2, and frankly, the number of mistakes they made (some of which were unforgivable) made it an impossible task for them to come back. Even their biggest break of the night - the interception by Mathieu - was reversed because of a needless penalty and ended up in a TD for Tampa. Everything that could go wrong for the Chiefs did go wrong, but a large part of that was down to Tampa playing so well.

Not the best Super Bowl ever, but a very notable one not least for Brady's incredible achievements.

I just watched the game after successfully managing to avoid spoilers all day, and I was rather surprised by the outcome - I thought it would be much tighter than it was.

I felt sorry for Mahomes... he seemed to spend more time running backwards than forwards, and ended up throwing the ball away almost every time, but even under immense pressure he still managed to pull off some remarkable throws, and he was unlucky that none of them resulted in anything useful.

Tampa Bay were immense though. Nothing too spectacular, but their defense was incredible and completely destroyed the Chiefs offense. The Chiefs were rattled, esp. in Q2, and frankly, the number of mistakes they made (some of which were unforgivable) made it an impossible task for them to come back. Even their biggest break of the night - the interception by Mathieu - was reversed because of a needless penalty and ended up in a TD for Tampa. Everything that could go wrong for the Chiefs did go wrong, but a large part of that was down to Tampa playing so well.

Not the best Super Bowl ever, but a very notable one not least for Brady's incredible achievements.

Mahomes looked uncomfortable from the start - possibly his foot was bothering him a lot - but Tampa's defense was brutal & put him under pressure constantly. Reminded me of the regular season beat down they put on the Packers.

How great is Brady? Well, you've got to give him props for his unparalleled success in the SuperBowl & for his longevity. He didn't play outstandingly in the playoffs, but he got it done when it counted, which has been the key to his success over his long career.

I was hoping that KC would win somehow but like @MoLiEG said, once I saw how the Bucs were able to hassle Rodgers with basically only their front four applying pressure, I knew it was going to be tough for KC with that makeshift offensive line they had.

You're able to get heat with the front four and cause Mahomes to constantly go backwards, you can stuff anything from going over the top like Hill did in the first game they played. I think pretty much all of Kelce's catches were in the middle of the field because the Bucs were willing to give that up to stop the deep threats and big plays and it worked like a charm.

But KC didn't help themselves out any with the penalties and stupid mistakes like lining up offsides on the field goal attempt that then gave the Bucs a first down.

But KC didn't help themselves out any with the penalties and stupid mistakes like lining up offsides on the field goal attempt that then gave the Bucs a first down.

The Chiefs did give away too many penalties, but i think in the first half there were some pretty questionable calls by the linesmen, which can't of helped KC's moral.

It's a shame that the superb owl is shown at such a bad time of day over here (11.30pm kick off) But at least it's shown on the beeb so we miss out on all the adverts (we get UK-based studio discussion instead with a pretty watchable team) It's just the massively overrated halftime show that distracts. Domestically you can grab something to eat have a few beers etc whilst it's on, but at 1.30am that's not really something you'd want to do. For European NFL followers, watching the superbowl is mostly a solitary activity taken on by tired individuals with an eye on having to get up for work in a few short hours.

Last edited:
The Chiefs did give away too many penalties, but i think in the first half there were some pretty questionable calls by the linesmen, which can't of helped KC's moral.

It's a shame that the superb owl is shown at such a bad time of day over here (11.30pm kick off) But at least it's shown on the beeb so we miss out on all the adverts (we get UK-based studio discussion instead with a pretty watchable team) It's just the massively overrated halftime show that distracts. Domestically you can grab something to eat have a few beers etc whilst it's on, but at 1.30am that's not really something you'd want to do. For European NFL followers, watching the superbowl is mostly a solitary activity taken on by tired individuals with an eye on having to get up for work in a few short hours.
Apart from not being able to stay awake beyond 11pm these days, I also have a class which requires a lot of concentration at 10 am on a Monday these days, and this week was a particularly difficult one (explaining differential equations and integration for quantum mechanics :ill:), so I had no choice but to record it and watch it on Monday.

Watching it on catch-up is great though, since I could spin right through the half-time show. That said, the BBC pundits are great, and I find their analysis both fascinating and fun to watch, so I didn't spin through that.

I almost blew it though when I went to check something on the web during my online class and went to the Bing homepage instead of the Google homepage, so I was lucky not to see the result. I'll never forget a few years back when the Patriots made that legendary comeback, and I managed to avoid the result all day in the hope of watching the game on the Monday night with a few drinks. Some 🤬 walked past me 100 yards from my flat with a Patriots hat on, and I knew from that that they had won :ouch: This time, I finished my class at 11 am and put the game on immediately after that... working from home does have some advantages after all!

I actually booked the morning off, thinking that it would be a good even match this year... so i could stay up without worrying about getting up early for work. But now wish i hadn't bothered. I could have switched it off and gone to sleep at half time without really missing anything. Usually if i don't watch it, or fall asleep whilst watching it, i always find it hard avoiding seeing the results until i can watch it on Monday night. Even if i can avoid passively catching a glimpse of them online, buried deep in news apps etc, some left of field source/person will end up spoiling it for me :rolleyes:

Last edited:
My condolences go out in loving memory of former head coach Marty Schottenheimer. He was 77 years old and had been battling Alzheimer's Disease since 2014. He unfortunately lost that battle with Alzheimer's. M. Schottenheimer picked up a total of 205 wins as coach with four different teams.

[UPDATE] 205 wins, not 200.

Last edited:
Yep... that's the latest news in the "Texans in Hell" saga. So DeShaun Watson wants a trade, Jamey Rootes resigns as president, and now JJ Watt is released from the Texans. Meaning... it will be tough being a Texans fan moving forward. Heck, some may have even converted to being Dallas Cowboys or Tennessee Titans fans. Well, there'd better be some better news in hopes this team can actually replace some of this star talent so that this team doesn't become a laughing stock for years to come...

Back