2020 Toyota Racing Series - Igor Fraga

I wish my countryman Igor the best of luck. Good to know that his participation in these championships scores points for the FIA super license. We need more Brazilian drivers on the top tiers of international motorsports. I also hope that many other virtual drivers can have their chance at real motor racing, such as Mikail Hizal who is also another driver I admire a lot (especially for his irreverence and boldness behind the wheel).

Last edited by a moderator:
You can guarantee I'll be at Hampton Downs and Pukekohe watching how he does :D

Both are milestone tracks of mine, Pukekohe I first took to in a car when I was 9, and Hampton Downs being the stage for LeMons.
:gtpflag:

The new FT 60 car looks great too! This is gonna be an exciting season..

launch-ft-60-940-x-627.jpg

Go Igor
FT-60 specification

FIA Tier: Three
Chassis: All composite, manufactured by Tatuus, Italy
Engine: 2.0 Litre four cylinder, turbocharger, Direct and Port injection systems
Power: 270 bhp/200 kW
Weight: 600kg (dry)
Top Speed: 250 km/h
Gearbox: Six speed Sadev sequential with paddle shift
Tyres: Front: 230/560 Rear: 280/580

View attachment 871360
Go Igor
FT-60 specification

FIA Tier: Three
Chassis: All composite, manufactured by Tatuus, Italy
Engine: 2.0 Litre four cylinder, turbocharger, Direct and Port injection systems
Power: 270 bhp/200 kW
Weight: 600kg (dry)
Top Speed: 250 km/h
Gearbox: Six speed Sadev sequential with paddle shift
Tyres: Front: 230/560 Rear: 280/580

Pretty good chances of this car coming to gt sport

Massive congrats to Fraga. Very well deserved. Would love to see him get continued success and follow in the footsteps of Lando, Hartley, and Kvyat into F1 someday.

Wow, go Igor! If he continues doing this well, he could certainly be in F1 in the future.

I wonder if there will be a way to watch this online.

Good luck, I hope he finds the funds to make it to F2.

Why should he skip F3? And before you answer his racing experience is highly limited to grass roots regional open wheel and sim racing on a series that isn't exactly the cutting edge.

Wow, go Igor! If he continues doing this well, he could certainly be in F1 in the future.

I wonder if there will be a way to watch this online.

Based on? There is a current driver who went through the Academy even who is more experienced and will never see F1, yet some how Igor will? I think some of you guys are quite optimistic rather than realistic.

If Galael can somehow keep getting a seat in a top F2 team then I’m sure Fraga can make it if he has the backing, that is pretty much the most important part these days.

It's called having a father who owns a chain of restaurants that has no competiton in said country...thus tons of funding.

It is definitely pay to play, but it usually starts well before the kids even make it to the levels of F2. I don’t know the backstory on all of the guys in F1, but I would be surprised if even a couple of them came from “normal families”.

Current world champ did, and so did several others. Difference is they showed raw talent at the karting stage and got sponsored very early on. And then kept that same promise and winning ability. Pay drivers by popular media idea is one who doesn't have results but money to afford a ride in place of that. Very few teams want drivers like that.

I'm quite sure Igor would be competitive even in F1. Would really like to see him there some day.
Again based on what other than he is one of the best GTS players and you play the game too...

Based on? There is a current driver who went through the Academy even who is more experienced and will never see F1, yet some how Igor will? I think some of you guys are quite optimistic rather than realistic.

Yes, I am optimistic. Igor is doing well and heading in the right direction, but of course none of us know for sure where he will end up. I read much of this thread as excited enthusiasm because people enjoy thinking of the possibility that a fellow GTS player could make it to F1.

Why should he skip F3? And before you answer his racing experience is highly limited to grass roots regional open wheel and sim racing on a series that isn't exactly the cutting edge.

It's called having a father who owns a chain of restaurants that has no competiton in said country...thus tons of funding.

Never said he should skip F3. F2 is even more expensive so I meant that I hope he finds the backing to at least make it that far.

As for Galael, that’s what I was getting at. The only thing he has going for him is KFC money.

So it’s pretty much pay to play then?

Sort of I guess, at least in the lower categories. Exceptional drivers still get picked up no matter what their background is but lots of good drivers get leap frogged by rich drivers with less talent. In F1 it's not so bad anymore, these days a super license is harder to get. To keep it simple, you pretty much need to finish in the top 3 in F2 and/or F3 to get a super license.

Last edited:

Current world champ did, and so did several others. Difference is they showed raw talent at the karting stage and got sponsored very early on. And then kept that same promise and winning ability. Pay drivers by popular media idea is one who doesn't have results but money to afford a ride in place of that. Very few teams want drivers like that.

Again based on what other than he is one of the best GTS players and you play the game too...

You really doesn't know what Igor already achieved. Here are some of his achievements:

2004 and 2005 - 2xChampion Kids Karting World Biwako Cup
2005 - Champion Kids Kart Kansai Cup
2005 - Champion Nishi Nihon Chalenger
2006 and 2007 - 2x Champion do Mini Rok Inagawa Cup Japan
2006 a 2008 - 3x Champion Mini Rok Biwako Cup Japan

2007 - Champion Mihama Series *This was a race that had all Asian national karting champions

2007 - Runner upMacau international
2008 - Champion AkOC (Asian Karting Open Championship) Macau, Indonesia, Tailand e Filipines)

2007 - 13th Rok International Final - Italy With 420 competitors from around the world

2014 – Competing in some races in Formula Vee and 1600
Interlagos – São Paulo
- Fórmula Vee - 3rd place in the first two races.
- Fórmula 1600 - 3rd place in the 4th race and first place in the 7th.
Set a record lap time in the category 8 tenths faster than the previous.

2015 – Fórmula 3 Light – 3rd place
2017 – Fórmula 3 Champion
2018 – FIA F4Nacam – 2nd place
– USF 2000 – 4th place
2019- Formula Regional European - 3rd place

The virtual championships you should know. He has a vast experience in karting and is doing great in his formula career.

I myself don't see Igor in F1... perhaps he could make it to F2 or F3 but as a sim racer he's needing to prove his reputation in a major series, which TRS could be a breakthrough for. He has decent talent, but not enough in my opinion to make it to F1. Still, anything's possible... Haryanto did it, and he was about as fast as your average house.

You really doesn't know what Igor already achieved. Here are some of his achievements:

2004 and 2005 - 2xChampion Kids Karting World Biwako Cup
2005 - Champion Kids Kart Kansai Cup
2005 - Champion Nishi Nihon Chalenger
2006 and 2007 - 2x Champion do Mini Rok Inagawa Cup Japan
2006 a 2008 - 3x Champion Mini Rok Biwako Cup Japan

2007 - Champion Mihama Series *This was a race that had all Asian national karting champions

2007 - Runner upMacau international
2008 - Champion AkOC (Asian Karting Open Championship) Macau, Indonesia, Tailand e Filipines)

2007 - 13th Rok International Final - Italy With 420 competitors from around the world

2014 – Competing in some races in Formula Vee and 1600
Interlagos – São Paulo
- Fórmula Vee - 3rd place in the first two races.
- Fórmula 1600 - 3rd place in the 4th race and first place in the 7th.
Set a record lap time in the category 8 tenths faster than the previous.

2015 – Fórmula 3 Light – 3rd place
2017 – Fórmula 3 Champion
2018 – FIA F4Nacam – 2nd place
– USF 2000 – 4th place
2019- Formula Regional European - 3rd place

The virtual championships you should know. He has a vast experience in karting and is doing great in his formula career.

Actually I'm quite aware of what he's achieved and while he did many of that in regional areas like Brazil or his birth place of Japan, that doesn't mean that he's going to actually place well or challenge well the international scene. The only international series he's taken part in was the FREC and that was the inaugural year with a make up of pro and amateur drivers. Those who placed better than him in USF are further on their way to Indy and even that will still take time before they ever get picked up. I wouldn't say he's doing great in the formula career cause it really hasn't started, this is probably the best jumping off point. Also I've followed lower seed karting and formula classes for years along with the top tier series, I'm well aware of what many drivers like him and others have done, which is why it's easier to say that they wont make it to F1. Being great in a regional series is of limited merit, when most if not all the drivers one faces in international F3 and F2 have done the same and more.

I'd say he should run F3 first maybe for more than a year and then from there see if he really has the makings, and then move to F2.

Also he won the Academy class in 2017 to clarify he didn't win the top class. Also they're using 301s and 309s which are pretty old and refurbished F3 cars of various vintage with some being nearly 20 years old. Hardly something to write home about when claiming a guy could probably cut it in F1.

Never said he should skip F3. F2 is even more expensive so I meant that I hope he finds the backing to at least make it that far.

Well if it's backing that makes sense, but on first read it doesn't come across as that.

As for Galael, that’s what I was getting at. The only thing he has going for him is KFC money.

Some times that's all you need, I see him as a lesser Dinz if he did make it, but he probably wont make it because of that. However given enough time and craft who knows he could be a Maldonado and win after paying for a seat for all those years in GP2 and then get an F1 ride that is further paid for. Doubt KFC chain money is as lucrative as PDVSA. But then again the guy that occupied that seat before him will drive for Williams and he too like Pastor took extra years in F2 to finally prove he deserved something more. Not sure that more is exactly F1.

Yes, I am optimistic. Igor is doing well and heading in the right direction, but of course none of us know for sure where he will end up. I read much of this thread as excited enthusiasm because people enjoy thinking of the possibility that a fellow GTS player could make it to F1.

Optimism isn't typically based in reality, Igor is doing well in the sense of what is seen by casual fans who mainly relate to the guy because of eSports and GTS. When you compare him to any driver in an F1 seat at this moment it becomes quite stacked as to what he faces and how far away he is. Is it possible that he could perhaps get a seat, sure. Is it more likely that he'll end up like other even more experienced GT drivers that came before him like Jann...I would say so.

However, that's the problem, people look at it with optimism because they relate based on a simple thread of "I play GTS, and he does it too and thus perhaps there is hope for all of us if we work hard and obtain that level of skill." Difference between him and the casual player that might aspire to this, is he actually has years of real racing experience in can apply, while figuring out how GTS mechanics work to better draw out his skill. It's the same catch that most eSport games have where casual fans that make up the majority of the player base, see these guys play see them get big and think "why not me?" When actually looking at it objectively it becomes pretty obvious why everyone simply can't do it.

Last edited:
Optimism isn't typically based in reality

I am well aware of that, I live in the UK, it's more a survival mechanism!

However, that's the problem, people look at it with optimism because they relate based on a simple thread of "I play GTS, and he does it too and thus perhaps there is hope for all of us if we work hard and obtain that level of skill."

Haha, I'm a D rated disabled driver who is already past the age of retirement for most racing drivers (too close to 40). The prime of my driving talent (what there was of it) was wasted on pizza delivery. I just wish Igor well because I enjoyed watching him drive and as someone who doesn't follow motorsport so much these days it is someone I know who I can follow and support beyond GTS.

Unfortunately it takes so much more than just raw talent to have a career in motorsports.
Money is basically in the top of the chain. Lance Stroll can assure you that.
Luck, knowing the right people, falling into some godfathers good grace, etc.

Actually I'm quite aware of what he's achieved and while he did many of that in regional areas like Brazil or his birth place of Japan, that doesn't mean that he's going to actually place well or challenge well the international scene. The only international series he's taken part in was the FREC and that was the inaugural year with a make up of pro and amateur drivers. Those who placed better than him in USF are further on their way to Indy and even that will still take time before they ever get picked up. I wouldn't say he's doing great in the formula career cause it really hasn't started, this is probably the best jumping off point. Also I've followed lower seed karting and formula classes for years along with the top tier series, I'm well aware of what many drivers like him and others have done, which is why it's easier to say that they wont make it to F1. Being great in a regional series is of limited merit, when most if not all the drivers one faces in international F3 and F2 have done the same and more.

I'd say he should run F3 first maybe for more than a year and then from there see if he really has the makings, and then move to F2.

Also he won the Academy class in 2017 to clarify he didn't win the top class. Also they're using 301s and 309s which are pretty old and refurbished F3 cars of various vintage with some being nearly 20 years old. Hardly something to write home about when claiming a guy could probably cut it in F1.

Well if it's backing that makes sense, but on first read it doesn't come across as that.

Some times that's all you need, I see him as a lesser Dinz if he did make it, but he probably wont make it because of that. However given enough time and craft who knows he could be a Maldonado and win after paying for a seat for all those years in GP2 and then get an F1 ride that is further paid for. Doubt KFC chain money is as lucrative as PDVSA. But then again the guy that occupied that seat before him will drive for Williams and he too like Pastor took extra years in F2 to finally prove he deserved something more. Not sure that more is exactly F1.

Optimism isn't typically based in reality, Igor is doing well in the sense of what is seen by casual fans who mainly relate to the guy because of eSports and GTS. When you compare him to any driver in an F1 seat at this moment it becomes quite stacked as to what he faces and how far away he is. Is it possible that he could perhaps get a seat, sure. Is it more likely that he'll end up like other even more experienced GT drivers that came before him like Jann...I would say so.

However, that's the problem, people look at it with optimism because they relate based on a simple thread of "I play GTS, and he does it too and thus perhaps there is hope for all of us if we work hard and obtain that level of skill." Difference between him and the casual player that might aspire to this, is he actually has years of real racing experience in can apply, while figuring out how GTS mechanics work to better draw out his skill. It's the same catch that most eSport games have where casual fans that make up the majority of the player base, see these guys play see them get big and think "why not me?" When actually looking at it objectively it becomes pretty obvious why everyone simply can't do it.

Like someone sayed above Lance Stroll it´s a good example how far the possibilities can go, his father just "buy" a team and kick off a more talent driver to sit his son in it´s place simple has that, that´s the real world..., sometimes it´s a offense and it´s prejudice from people ho live deep and have roots in a area to see someone that seems a outsider like a esport champion to have sucess in real life races.
There´s nothing wrong in people being optimist cause casuals or not people like to see boy that commit himself in game or in real life just because they feel related to him in some way, if it´s possible people can and should be optimist not the other way arround.

Last edited:
Back