2021/22 Premier League & General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,132 comments
Argentina have scored 10 goals in this tournament.

Messi scored/assisted 8. What a human.

This thread is wild.

The head of La Liga is a lecturer at a 'right wing finishing school' which is attempting to unite all the far right movements across Europe which wants to drive all Muslims out.

Copa America final is tonight for those who are interested, and you should be as its Argentina v Brazil!

Its on at 1am, BBC have had the coverage this time around, it'll either be on one of its channels or iPlayer.

Omg Neymar’s sobbing on the mic while Argentina lifts up Messi.

Last edited:
Btw, Argentina has just won the Copa America against Brazil... In Rio Do Janeiro noneless!! 😁 😁 Justice for all of us who had fall against VARzil due to the Conmebol...ehh Corrupt-bol sucking their (beep) all this time!! 🤣🤣🤣

Would be amazing to see England vs. Argentina in the next confederations cup 😁

Last edited:
Watched 60 mins before going to bed, saw the Di Maria goal.

Congrats to Messi for finally winning his first international trophy at the fifth time of asking, Brazil weren't up to much IMO.

So with the Euros and the Copa done its time to turn our attention to the new season which starts in a month. There first PL game of the season will be Brentford v Arsenal on 13th August.

Everyone is now back for pre-season (minus a few who played in the summer tournaments of course) and pre-season friendlies have begun, Arsenal had a shocker today losing 2-0 to Hibernian, the second goal was a goalkeeper calamity, and they missed a penalty, and Arteta out was tending on Twitter, so its a good start for them! Also they will have an Amazon All Or Nothing programme done about them, which should be good...

Jadon Sancho has completed his Man United medical and the deal should be done in the next 48 hours, he will be a part of United's new kit video and then he'll go on holiday, United are also in talks with Raphael Varane's representatives, It seems mad to me that Real Madrid will let both their star centre backs go in the same summer.

Last edited:
Something pretty major might be happening at Everton.

Started off with a report that a Premier League footballer was arrested for alleged child sex offences. His identity is protected but the one thing is known is that the player in question is 31 years old.

Everton have since released a statement saying that they have suspended a player pending a police investigation.

Rumours and reports are rife saying that the player in question is Gylfi Sigurdsson.

its just reports so far of course, but the investigation and Everton club suspension are both true, its not been confirmed that its Sigurdsson.

Something pretty major might be happening at Everton.

Started off with a report that a Premier League footballer was arrested for alleged child sex offences. His identity is protected but the one thing is known is that the player in question is 31 years old.

Everton have since released a statement saying that they have suspended a player pending a police investigation.

Rumours and reports are rife saying that the player in question is Gylfi Sigurdsson.

its just reports so far of course, but the investigation and Everton club suspension are both true, its not been confirmed that its Sigurdsson.
Oddly, I heard last week that Sigurdsson had been arrested for an unspecified reason, then the Twitter hivemind did its usual thing and said he'd been messaging a 14-year old boy.

So the Everton player was arrested on Friday and had property searched, he has since been released on bail, Everton are signed attacking players since then, Andros Townsend on a free and Demari Gray the ex-Leicester player now at Leverkusen, I don't know if that's related. Still not confirmed that its Sigurdsson and then news is not on main stream media or news sites.

@Famine, where did you hear the rumour??

If it's a 31 year-old at Everton, it's either Sigurdsson or Delph. Considering that the accused is a "regular international", that leaves it pretty obvious as to whom it is.

Twitter was well ahead of the game as usual and I couldn't see any particular source other than something doing the rounds on WhatsApp.

@Famine, where did you hear the rumour??
Twitter was well ahead of the game as usual and I couldn't see any particular source other than something doing the rounds on WhatsApp.
Yep, Twitter just lit up on Friday with Gylfi being arrested but for no specific reason - which quickly turned to accusations of noncery. Today it seems to be the other way round, with a nonce arrested but no player specifically named.

He is in his final year of his United deal and is unlikely to sign a new one, United would rather sell him now to get some money for him than let him leave on a free next summer, PSG are interested but official bid or contact with United as of yet, I haven't really got any feelings about Pogba potentially leaving, no player is bigger than the club.

Sancho has finally signed for United!

I don't think Ronaldo is going anywhere, he's on something like £30m a year net and I don't think PSG are looking to spend that kind of money. Pogba could go, but the most reliable sources are saying nothing is anything more than interest at the moment. An offer could be made, but there's been nothing approaching serious interest yet.

I think he will stay at United and either run his contract down, or if we are doind really well, playing well and he's enjoying himself, he may consider signing a new contract. United are working on getting him to stay, but he's been unwilling to consider it so far.

Running his contract down would see him offered the most money and presented with the most options as opposed to moving now, but if United feel there's no chance of him signing a new deal they may try to push him out so thery get a fee. But ultimately it's Pogbas decision, United can't make him go.

I don't think he'll kick up a stink, I just think he'll quitely get on with the season and United will keep trying to get him to sign a new deal.

His agent on the other hand may have plenty to say.

Good that we've finally announced Sancho, apparently a technicality held that up. Varane next, and after Varane hopefully a defensive midfielder. That would be a fantastic window. But we do still need to get rid of some of our deadwood, we've got a lot of first team players who are surplus to requirements.

Everton are looking like they may become an option for Lingard.

Last edited:
I'm just trying to recall the PL's most expensive signings... and I think they're all Manchester United.

Pogba was not-quite £100m, Maguire was... £80m-ish? Lukaku at £75m and now Sancho at £73m. How much was van Dijk? £75m?

For all the complaining about Manchester City's deep pockets, they've never spent more than £70m (and that was De Bruyne), while United have done it four times, Chelsea twice, and Liverpool and Arsenal once each.

I'm just trying to recall the PL's most expensive signings... and I think they're all Manchester United.

Pogba was not-quite £100m, Maguire was... £80m-ish? Lukaku at £75m and now Sancho at £73m. How much was van Dijk? £75m?

For all the complaining about Manchester City's deep pockets, they've never spent more than £70m (and that was De Bruyne), while United have done it four times, Chelsea twice, and Liverpool and Arsenal once each.
And how many of those 70m plus players have actually looked like they deserved such a price tag? Perhaps maybe just Van Dijk and De Bruyne?

OK, paying 70 million for one footballer is a broken economy anyway, but in context of other sales, not many of these massive spends have justified the expenditure.

Pogba was £89m, we definitely overspend on transfer fees. I think the issue with City is less so much that they spend money, more than they were breaking the FFP rules (which they were) though FFP seems dead in the water now. However, sticking with United, we buy decent players, like Maguire, but he was worth more like £50m (in relative terms), not £80m.

Could he worth £80m to United specifically? That depends on what we acheive with him I guess. But you see that kind of inflated spend happen again and again at United. We do (soon to be did) have Ed Woodward, the best CEO in world football don't you know.

Last edited:
So there is a Football leaks hacker who has exposed the Premier League's investigation into Man City and their alleged breaches into FFP, Portuguese Rui Pinto is currently under a witness protection programme in his home country before a trail against him for alleged hacking begins next month.

As for City well apparently they have been under investigation since 2018, little progress has been made in the two and a half years and they have been crowned champions twice in that time, the leaks claim that city City owners investment has been disguised as sponsorship money. Not the first time they have been investigated of course, remember that UEFA investigation? They were banned from the Champions League for two years before they appealed.

Manchester United have reached an agreement with Real Madrid for the signing of Raphael Varane, personal terms have also been agreed in principal. Varane will need to quarantine before he can join up with United, some paperwork and a medical still to be finalised but it's had the Fabrizio Romano "Here we go" confirmation.

There's a bunch of photos of Wayne Rooney on social media at the moment (looks like Insta first, then everywhere else), showing him apparently snogging one woman, and sitting in a chair in a hotel room surrounded by other women in various states of undress (though he appears to be asleep), none of whom are Colleen.

He has reported the images to the police. Since that'll make them go away, won't it?

United and Real agreed a fee this morning thought to be 34 million rising to 41, which is a bargain!

Delighted to have someone of Varane's calibre joining,

Spurs have signed Bryan Gil from Sevilla with Erik Lamela going the other way.

That Rooney thing looks like entrapment, hence why he has gone to the police.

Looks like Paul Pogba is on his way to PSG.
Nothing to see here. Move on. Monday it’s PSG. Tuesday it’s Juventus. Wednesday he’s staying.

Meanwhile, I see deadwood still here. Phil Jones, Mata, Fred, Martial, Lee Grant (how many GKs are needed??), Lingard. Looking at you Ole, Darren Fletcher, and the Director of Football.

Varane will probably take Jones's number 4 shirt.

Also how can you say Fred is deadwood after the season he has had, plus Mata just signed on for another year. But Grant needs to definitely.

Varane will probably take Jones's number 4 shirt.

Also how can you say Fred is deadwood after the season he has had, plus Mata just signed on for another year. But Grant needs to definitely.
What does Fred do well? He’s not a solo CDM like Kante, hence the Frankenstein known as McFred. He can’t pass at the caliber needed for a title winning team. He can’t retain the ball.

Mata getting a new contract is not a reflection of his quality. It’s a reflection of another questionable football decision by the hierarchy. Of course, this is my opinion. But they also gave Phil Jones a new 5 year contract a couple years ago.

Oh no. We've signed Bailey Peacock-Farrell from Burnley on a season-long loan (as well as getting Jack Hunt back, and Sam Hutchinson back late last season, and seemingly keeping Windass, Paterson, Bannan, Green, and Palmer). Edit: And Lewis Wing also on loan for the season.

And our chairman, Chancer-Chansiri, seems to have realised that football isn't his job, money is his job, and he's letting our new manager get on with it.

I do not like this feeling of optimism.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back