Endurance Racing Discussion Thread - WEC, ELMS etcSports Cars 

• Thread starter Kowhai
  • 825 comments
Sorry everybody, I have to rant about the Glickenhaus 'situation'

Is the sim racing community so insecure that any post must be related to them? I thought it was pretty clear that Jim was talking about Aston Martin and their PR for the race car they're not going to race. Jimmy Broadbent and his cancel kids are an embarrassment to what I thought was a decent community.

Hopefully Glickenhaus doesn't change the way he uses Twitter to cater for these idiots because the level of transparency behind developing the Hypercar (and the GT3 and off roaders) is ridiculous.

Is the sim racing community so insecure that any post must be related to them? I thought it was pretty clear that Jim was talking about Aston Martin and their PR for the race car they're not going to race. Jimmy Broadbent and his cancel kids are an embarrassment to what I thought was a decent community.

Hopefully Glickenhaus doesn't change the way he uses Twitter to cater for these idiots because the level of transparency behind developing the Hypercar (and the GT3 and off roaders) is ridiculous.
I’ll be honest here, I initially sided with Jimmy because I didn’t know the context of Glickenhaus’ tweet.

I think both sides are at fault here. Jimmy for his overly aggressive ‘whether you like it or not’ stance, and Glickenhaus for straight up blocking Jimmy and triggering the Streisand Effect instead of realising the misunderstanding and clarifying himself.

I haven’t seen until this post what was Glickenhaus referring to, just him mentioning that he wrote it because of this. Without context his tweet does sound like an attack on sim racing. Again, if you just open Twitter and see his tweet, there’s absolutely no context. I’m not surprised he got a lot of heat for it and the blocking was rather immature.

:rolleyes:

If it was related to something else then why did Jim get offended so much so that he blocked everyone - a bunch of racing drivers like Lucas Di Grassi included - that merely commented and posted their opinion?

Right, so he's referring to Aston Martin with replies like:

"Racing at the local drag strip is racing. Racing at a local auto cross is racing. Racing The Baja 1000 in a stock VW is racing. I have great respect for all that do. Driving a road car that can go 300 MPH isn't."

"You can race a stock VW in the Baja 1000 for less than the cost of a good sim setup."

Him trying to say it was directed at something else is some rubbish damage control.

The fact that they are being transparent about what car they are currently making doesn't make up for the fact Jim is an embarrassment to his brand and a massive %&@!.

Last edited:
Judging by the amount of activity in this thread it’s easy to get the impression everyone has forgotten the yearly highlight takes place this weekend.
It's even more sad when you watch the qualifying highlights on the official channel, and it's not even 3 minutes in length.

I think this is the first time there hasn't been a dedicated Le mans thread.

Last edited:
Judging by the qualifying times, i'm afraid we are set for a total Toyota dominance yet again, with Alpine and Glickenhaus fighting for scraps. At least the LMP2 and GTE fights will be interesting, with Corvette thrown in the mix.

GTE will be replaced by GT3 in 2024, factory teams will also be banned.

Also, the 2022 schedule has been released.

2022 FIA World Endurance Championship Schedule
March 12-13 — Sebring Prologue
March 18 — 1000 Miles of Sebring
May 7 — TotalEnergies 6 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps
June 11-12 — 24 Hours of Le Mans
July 10 — 6 Hours of Monza
Sept. 11 — 6 Hours of Fuji
Nov. 12 — 8 Hours of Bahrain

Not sure about the banning of factory teams, that feels like sticking the Vs up. GT3 on the other hand if that brings diversity in the cars raced, bring it.

Wonder if GM could skirt around this by entering as "Pratt & Miller Racing" rather than "Corvette Racing"? Seems a shame that they'd have to quit racing at Le Mans because "Random Acts of the FIA".

Wonder if GM could skirt around this by entering as "Pratt & Miller Racing" rather than "Corvette Racing"? Seems a shame that they'd have to quit racing at Le Mans because "Random Acts of the FIA".
From what I understand, it's gonna be more about the driver rating rather than how a team is named. Nevertheless, it seems that while it's all in the name of the spirit of Le Mans, it's still very much in flux. From my perspective, Le Mans was always a mixture of factory and private entries and I don't mind if we have pro and pro-am/am categories within the prototype and GT ranks. It would certainly be a shame losing Corvette.

How is that going to affect the total car count. Isn't it 53 total that are allowed to race? Once the switch to GT3 occurs I would think you would have a lot more interest from GT teams running elsewhere that would want a shot at LeMans. Is the field set at a certain number of P1's, LMP2's, GTE?

How is that going to affect the total car count. Isn't it 53 total that are allowed to race? Once the switch to GT3 occurs I would think you would have a lot more interest from GT teams running elsewhere that would want a shot at LeMans. Is the field set at a certain number of P1's, LMP2's, GTE?
Capacity grid is 62 as of now. We have there the full WEC line up, automatic invitees and whoever ACO accepts.

I don’t know about any specific regulation or guideline regarding the number of entries for each class but we can be sure that 2023 will be very prototype-heavy with all the LMH and LMDh entries. One would think that Porsche and Audi would want to have their IMSA teams to be there beside their WEC counterparts, then Peugeot, Ferrari, potentially Acura/Honda and BMW. Plus of course Toyota and SGC. ACO will have their hands full to decide about the entries.

Last edited:
Considering they seem to still have a good relationship with Larbre I could see them doing a "factory supported" WEC program like we see in other GT3 series'. Such a program would also guarantee they have a slot on the grid since they obviously won't have manufacturer status to get an auto-invite.

I just hope they at least attempt to launch an actual customer program if they do wind up making a GT3 Corvette.

Last edited:
The final round of the 2021 WEC season starts soon, Eurosport coverage has started, the 8 hours of Bahrain.

These two last rounds at Bahrain sounded.. weird..

I mean, I never understood the legitimacy of that track in the calendar, so having it twice in a "slack" season was painful. This is the first time I give up watching a race since the rebirth of the championship in 2012. From the results, I guess I didn't miss a thing.

These two last rounds at Bahrain sounded.. weird..

I mean, I never understood the legitimacy of that track in the calendar, so having it twice in a "slack" season was painful. This is the first time I give up watching a race since the rebirth of the championship in 2012. From the results, I guess I didn't miss a thing.
Just the champioships won and lost. Porshe vs Ferrari was the main talking point. The two rounds were due to covid.

I thought this car wasn't going to have a rear wing?
Maybe they just wanted to be different for a while to squeeze all the hype they can get through media, and now that it actually matters it's back to what works.:sly:

Back