2024 Formula 1 Constructors threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 793 comments
I'm not 100% sold on the livery but the merch itself is quite nice, so I caved in and bought a t-shirt... :indiff:

Love it, I was hoping they would start the season with this kind of livery. Too bad it's only for one race.

Last edited:
I love it, but only as a 1 race special. The colours are iconic (though this is their first venture into F1 itself) but it would tire very quickly (and already done that for @Liquid it seems!).

(though this is their first venture into F1 itself

Akshually...

I present to you Alessandro Pesenti-Rossi in his privately entered Tyrell chassis, the Scuderia Gulf Rondini.

7dade072ea7b9f1fda625e35941b3dbc.jpg

Honestly, I had no idea either until someone posted it on Reddit, bit of an oddball. Only managed four races, so curious how he even got a deal with Gulf.

Last edited:
Akshually...

I present to you Alessandro Pesenti-Rossi in his privately entered Tyrell chassis, the Scuderia Gulf Rondini.

Honestly, I had no idea either until someone posted it on Reddit, bit of an oddball. Only managed four races, so curious how he even got a deal with Gulf.

The team boss owned several Gulf gas stations in Italy and convinced them to put their logo on the car, or so I read.

Akshually...

Happy to be corrected! Bless Reddit...

Ferrari being naughty? Never....

From Autosport
The FIA informed teams ahead of the Monaco Grand Prix that it will soon introduce tougher rear wing pull back tests to stop them exploiting flexible aerodynamics. While much of the focus has revolved around Red Bull, after Lewis Hamilton suggested it was running a ‘bendy wing’ at the Spanish GP, the changes will force a number of teams to make alterations. Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto has revealed that his outfit is one of the squads that will be affected.

“Yes, we are exploiting,” said Binotto about teams pushing the flexible wing rules. "I think all the teams are exploiting somehow what's possible, and what we believe is right. The [FIA] technical directive is clarifying furthermore, and we will need to slightly adapt.

“I think it's impacting Ferrari, certainly on the laptime from what it seems very, very little. But there are some redesigns which need to be prepared to comply fully to the technical directive.”

Red Bull is clear that the new tests will require it to make modifications to its rear wing, with the estimated cost of $500,000 set to prompt some budget cap compromises.

Team principal Christian Horner said: “For a team like us, that's obviously running up against the cap, then of course strategically you have to make choices. You know the impact of something like this is probably about half a million dollars, so that will prevent something else from happening. So that's the juggling act that we're now having to make.”

Ferrari first tried a flexible wing in 1997. How many fundamental rule changes have there been since then, about four (2002, 2009, 2014, 2019)?

Whatever the outcome, just don't colour me surprised.

Last edited:
The problem is, the FIA allow too big a range of movement for all items, and then there is a 5-10% 'error of margin' to allow for difficulties in measuring, that allows teams like Red Bull to sail dangerously close to the wind and not within the limits of the rules.

If the test is carried out using a, say, 500 kg weight and the wing stays within limits with that but flexes noticably with 510 kg... it's not illegal, it's very good engineering.

The ambiguity is that "the test" is not "the rule". The rule is that movable aerodynamics are banned, but completely rigid aerodynamics would break. Some allowance must therefore be made to allow for this, and the tests are a way of finding out whether the teams have taken too much allowance. I wasn't aware until last Friday that the FIA impose and conduct the tests, but ultimately these are just for the benefit of the race stewards who will then give the actual verdict. So I think based on that and using the example above, if they really wanted to I think the stewards could test the wings at higher loads if they felt it would help come to their verdict.

The example I thought of for this is within Athletics and drug testing. WADA have a list of banned drugs, and conduct testing to ensure athletes do not use any performance enhancing drugs. If a new performance enhancing drug is produced that specifically bypasses the WADA testing, it is still illegal even if it is clever. It is also why I think the FIA have been lenient in changing the tests as late as they have - again it would be similar to changing the WADA drug testing, but allowing athletes a month to clear the new drug from their body first...

The ambiguity is that "the test" is not "the rule". The rule is that movable aerodynamics are banned, but completely rigid aerodynamics would break. Some allowance must therefore be made to allow for this

The rule is literally a rule. It's a physical measurement that can be held over or against the car. And it is, the FIA scrutineers have physical boxes, rulers, gauges, that are held against the car. The rule is part of the test.

Rear wing structures (obviously excepting the upper 'DRS' element) aren't being claimed as driver-operated aerodynamics and therefore aren't covered by that rule. The rule on moving 'fixed' parts accepts that a certain amount of flex will occur, and gives a limit for that flex. The physical rule tests the amount of flex along a defined axis under defined load(s) applied in a prescribed manner.

Red Bull's car passes that test and is therefore both literally and figuratively within the rules.

What's clear is that the flex demonstrated on the rear-view footage is outside the performance that the rules were intended to define and therefore a new test has been specified. Until that point the Red Bull is literally legal.

I know this is going to sound odd, but I disagree with this. If a team is able to safely service a car in the time they do, then all power to them.

I'm guessing that the sensors tell the gunmen when the nut is halfway on, instead of fully on, allowing for the response times of the crew members that by the time they react, the nuts are on fully. However, if the crew member reacts too quickly, then the nuts aren't on safely.

Red Bull are offering silly money to engineering staff for their in-house engine programme.

A friend of mine used to work for Ilmor/Mercedes AMG in the 2000s and subsequently moved into the production car sector. I have it on very good authority from the man himself that he was offered triple his salary to come back to high performance engineering and work for Red Bull.

They're "revealing" a model of the 2022 car in about 15 minutes, although there are photos already. Also I say reveal because it's merely a 1:1 scale version of the initial designs we've already seen, the real cars are obviously going to be different.

2f2deu6cidb71.jpg

I'm not sure how restricted they are on the nose? It's high to allow airflow underneath to the new venturi tunnels but after getting so used to noses scraping the tarmac it'll take a bit of getting used to them floating in the air again.

Last edited:
Are the curved front and rear wing endplates actually stipulated in the rules or are they just appearing on this mule as a marketing thing to make the cars appear modern?

Are the curved front and rear wing endplates actually stipulated in the rules or are they just appearing on this mule as a marketing thing to make the cars appear modern?
I wonder if there is DRS on that rear wing? I don't see how it would work with a curved wing.

Looks to be part of the regs - the curves keep the airflow attached longer, creating a "mushroom" wake to reduce downforce loss for following cars.
I wonder if there is DRS on that rear wing? I don't see how it would work with a curved wing.
Yep - the upper plane.

Looks to be part of the regs - the curves keep the airflow attached longer, creating a "mushroom" wake to reduce downforce loss for following cars.
I assume then that the minimum radius of the curve is stipulated?

I quite like that, there are some dong-ish noses still, hopefully the regulations will stop that next year.

It looks like an IndyCar.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but I think either they saw the quality of racing in Indycar and realised that they had found a silver bullet, but not the ultimate design.

The curved endplates on front and rear wings are there to prevent the creation of vortices which spill the airflow away from the car and create 'dirty air'. However, the design is not fixed, and the FIA have shown some different designs:

1001244.jpg

1001242.jpg

1001243.jpg

Overall I like the "new" look (half of Twitter seemed to react as if this was the first ever time we had seen this design...) but the nose itself could be better. I think they were trying to get the cars to look like cars of the early 90's with the front wings directly attached to the nose:

1993_1.jpg

... But on modern cars, it just looks like the failed 2015 long nose designs.
Sebastian_Vettel_2015_Malaysia_FP2_3.jpg

I hope that what the teams come up with can actually somehow look something a lot nicer, but the best looking car is the one that won the race....

Last edited:
Back