2024 Formula 1 Constructors threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 793 comments
Ferrari is just afraid they'll have to actually spend money to race in F1 for once. That's a terrifying prospect to those guys...

It'll either be that or spec parts, so Ferrari will need to choose which suits them best.

I doubt the idea of sharing parts will be nuts and bolts minutiae of every component, but instead will be general philosophies and ideas.

They did struggle a bit with their engine. They're probably fearful of a competent manufacturer showing up.

Welp, that sounds like Ferrari's problem, not the problem of VAG or any other manufacturer.

I know that F1/Liberty don't see it that way, and will likely try to appease Ferrari, but I really hate how much negotiating power they have sometimes.

Last edited:
I think with the cost cap in place and teams like Mclaren making huge profits it's entirely possible for both to join as competing operations like they did in WEC, though it would be odd to just be engine makers in that situation, possibly one as an engine and the other as a full team?

If the engine development story with VAG is true, then it's typical butthurt Ferrari. I don't get how a team so far from the top for so long now (2007 was nearly 15 years ago, the same as 1994 Ferrari being away from 1979) can still hold itself like some immutable deity when it has effed up time after time after time.

Last edited:
I agree, I think the supposed veto they have is silly, just as silly as letting the teams be in charge of their own rules upto a point tbh.

Saying that though, I am of the belief that F1 wouldn't be the same without Ferrari.

Nobody has stated if Andretti has raised the $350 million required for the SPAC yet, so it may not be done.

With F1 the way it is now making more financial sense for investors, You would think it's a matter of time before Penske enters.

Last edited:
I really hope this deal happens, Sauber is running on borrowed time thanks to that Alfa Romeo deal and they could pull out at any moment, without that funding the team would be screwed.

It would be sad to see the Sauber name go, but I’d much rather an entity like Andretti Autosport take over rather than some other billionaire buying a seat for his son or an investment company only out there to flip assets.

Last edited:
It's a done deal according to an (as I understand) very respected Brazilian journalist. I believe he is also Helio Castroneves' PR guy.

URGENT: Michael Andretti buys Sauber and Colton Herta will be Alfa Romeo driver in 2022
The Andretti part may be true but the Herta part is unlikely if not impossible, don't believe he has enough super license points.

F1 has been making a huge push in the US since Liberty took over. There will also be two races in the US next year, they want an American driver badly.

Bernie would never allow clips to be uploaded on youtube for free, let alone have a streaming service. A real budget cap, big regulation change, names like Andretti Autosport and Audi/Porsche joining F1 becoming a real possibility for once. It feels like F1 is starting to come out of the dark ages.

Last edited:
According to the boffins on reddit he's just short

• 2018 Indy Lights - 2nd (12pts). Low number of starters was 7 = SL points reduced by 90% = 1.2 points
  • 2019 IndyCar Series - 7th = 4pts
  • 2020 IndyCar Series - 3rd = 20pts
  • 2021 IndyCar Series - 5th = 8pts
Best three of four years, 32 points out of 40 required
But he could make up those 8 points if he does 800km of driving in the remaining free practice sessions this season. Seems unlikely, although not impossible. FIA could also fudge it so he can get it with a bit less.

"Drivers may also earn points for: 1 point – Driving at least 100 km during a Free Practice session for up to 10 points."

Last edited:
Is Herta any good?
Youngest ever race winner in Indycar (18 years) in inferior equipment. He hasn’t done a proper challenge for the title yet in his 3 years but he has won at least one race in every full season he competed in. He seems like one of the top drivers in Indycar atm although the results may not show it. He’s also a pretty good endurance racer.

Last edited:
I don't see Herta jumping to F1 so soon. Not while he could be a legit threat for the Indycar championship. Yes, there have been mistakes which have cost him at times, but he's only 21. With a little more experience, his consistency will pick up. And you'll see more of those races like the dominating run at Laguna Seca and coming from the back to win at Long Beach.

That's not to say I wouldn't love to see an American in F1 again. When was the last actual competitive driver from the US? Cheever? The only other seasons I can even think of since were Michael Andretti's rough stint with McLaren in '93, a struggling Speed in Toro Rosso's early days, and Rossi in an awful Manor.

If Herta does move I think it's another strike for @-Fred-'s opinions about IndyCar not being a stand alone premier series but a hybrid of stepping stone and reject pond.

If Herta does move I think it's another strike for @-Fred-'s opinions about IndyCar not being a stand alone premier series but a hybrid of stepping stone and reject pond.
To be fair the series, under its various names through the years has always been like that. In the 70s and 80s it was a cheaper option for American F1 drivers (Penske, Gurney, Andretti, Rahal, Cheever, Haas and the likes) then in the 90s it started to become a bit of a feeder series to F1 (Andretti, Villeneuve, Montoya, Da Matta, Bourdais come to mind) while also being a retirement home to ex-F1 drivers (Mansell, Blundell, Magnussen, Zanardi, Fittipaldi (both Emmo and Christian), Gugelmin, Moreno, Papis, Johansson, Danner and whoever else) and pretty much stayed that way ever since. It never truly was a standalone premier series and it never will be.

Last edited:
It's a done deal according to an (as I understand) very respected Brazilian journalist. I believe he is also Helio Castroneves' PR guy.

The Andretti part may be true but the Herta part is unlikely if not impossible, don't believe he has enough super license points.

Huge if true, albeit unlikely about the driver. Would be very interesting if that part was true, might just be ballsy enough to work out.

F1 has been making a huge push in the US since Liberty took over. There will also be two races in the US next year, they want an American driver badly.

Bernie would never allow clips to be uploaded on youtube for free, let alone have a streaming service. A real budget cap, big regulation change, names like Andretti Autosport and Audi/Porsche joining F1 becoming a real possibility for once. It feels like F1 is starting to come out of the dark ages.
Hopefully soon they get a bit less stuffy about YouTubers using race footage in their videos.

While Formula 1 exists I would argue no series could be in open wheel form, the amount of money in F1 compared to any other type of racing is just naturally going to attract the best and everyone else will get the leftovers.

There is though enough racing talent out there these days to have drivers that are good enough to be in f1 but for what ever reason just couldn't get to the grid, especially with the tiny 20 car grid it has.

Suggestions from credible names in the paddock that Petronas will be severing ties with Mercedes once their contract ends this year and they'll be replaced by Aramco.

Don't think Dieter would put that out unless he was pretty sure.

The blood, sweat and tears that goes into a successful F1 team gets a new dimension.

Will Lewis kneel when there's a meeting with the sponsors?
"Saudi Arabia has the best fans in the world, man!"

1098646.jpg

Back