2024 Formula 1 Constructors threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 793 comments
Andretti making an announcement today. Almost all of Twitter thinks it’s announcing F1 but it’s probably just an Indy driver announcement or something.

Andretti making an announcement today. Almost all of Twitter thinks it’s announcing F1 but it’s probably just an Indy driver announcement or something.

New sponsor for Formula E. The announcement tweet made it sound like an F1 tease though.

Last edited:
For those who thought Mercedes stopped developing the 2021 present car and they already had all focus on 2022 new car:
Spotted before the GP USA starts. (Source: Craig Scarborough)

1634904058342.png

Well, Red Bull seem to know that it's fully legal according to Horner. All cars do it to some degree, Merc just dialed their setup in such a way to really utilise it. At least on tracks with slower speed corners anyway.

Last edited:
It's only cheating if you get caught Ferrari complains about it because they didn't think of it first.
Whatever "it" is, Ferrari did think of it:

And... it turns out Red Bull also did.

That said, I don't even know what "it" is. I can't actually listen to Paul di Resta's nasal whining, but is he seriously pointing at the back end of the car moving in relation to the tyres as if there's some kind of nefarious thing happening like a flexiwing (which isn't what's happening at all)?

That said, I don't even know what "it" is. I can't actually listen to Paul di Resta's nasal whining, but is he seriously pointing at the back end of the car moving in relation to the tyres as if there's some kind of nefarious thing happening like a flexiwing (which isn't what's happening at all)?
Apparently yes, the implication is that because the rear end is squatting down visibly under acceleration and rising back up under braking, evil engineering magic is at play. Or at least that's supposed to be the case since the Merc is apparently doing it more pronounced than the Red Bull is and thus they've "bolted something onto the car", as he so puts it.

That's... how downforce actually works, no?
Pretty much. There's also some tech in there, which Red Bull also has but which is less effective due to the high rake design.

Basically there's a third, lateral spring (called a heave spring) which ties the two sides of the car together - there's actually one on the front and one on the back - which manages total load across the... uhhh... "axle" when both wheel springs are moving in the same direction: compressing due to downforce (acceleration) or extending as they unload (braking).

What you see here with the car squatting more at speed and then rising under braking is the spring (it's not really a spring) compressing and then passing a certain load threshold (which can be tuned per track) at which it essentially collapses to full compression. Under braking, as the load decreases, it does it the other way round, slowly extending back to that threshold and then popping back into becoming a useful spring again.

On the rear axle when the heave spring compresses it basically interrupts air flow to the diffuser, stalling it out and reducing drag as a consequence. The result is a higher top speed.

It's been on F1 cars since... forever. Like, well before Paul di Resta had a career, and likely much further than that. It doesn't work as well on the Red Bull, because they can't get the car to squat enough to stall the diffuser due to their high rake.

So I suppose the FIA wouldn't let Herta fudge his super license and then Andretti lost interest.
The rumours among the usual paddock sources is that as part of the deal Andretti planned to close some of the Sauber base in Switzerland, move operations partially to the US, and make several hundred people redundant. Sauber weren't happy with those terms, naturally, so it collapsed.

But as usual, just paddock rumours, so take them with a David Coulthard jaw of salt.

There's another rumour going around that Peter Sauber wanted a $250m guarantee fund so that Michael Andretti could keep the team running for five years in case he couldn't attract any sponsors.

There's another rumour going around that Peter Sauber wanted a $250m guarantee fund so that Michael Andretti could keep the team running for five years in case he couldn't attract any sponsors.
I thought Peter Sauber sold the team years ago and isn't actually involved in the current Sauber organisation.

I thought Peter Sauber sold the team years ago and isn't actually involved in the current Sauber organisation.
Sorry, my bad, I mis-remembered. It was Finn Rausing and the Islero company who wanted the guarantee.

McLaren have moved to deny this pretty quickly and said it’s wholly inaccurate.

Last edited:
I may have jumped the gun on it but I actually hope it isn't true. I really like the running joke of "When is VAG going to join F1?"
I hope it isn’t true just for the sale of not losing McLaren in F1. I know it would fundamentally be the same team but if they renamed it Audi F1 it would be very sad.

I could stomach losing the Red Bull /AlphaTauri names much easier.

I hope it isn’t true just for the sale of not losing McLaren in F1. I know it would fundamentally be the same team but if they renamed it Audi F1 it would be very sad.

I could stomach losing the Red Bull /AlphaTauri names much easier.
If the report is true (since it hasn't been confirmed), I'd like to think one of two things will happen:
1. Audi joins as engine supplier and team name becomes McLaren-Audi.
2. Audi does the first one AND either starts a new team or enters an engine deal for a 2nd team. (HAAS maybe?)

If the deal ever did happen, I would think Audi would have the common sense to not change the name; it's right up there with Ferrari in terms of importance to the sport.

"An Autocar source" lol that's just about as reliable as every other bit of F1 Twitter journalism.

Wasn't their a link somewhere between Porsche (VAG) and RedBullRacing after Honda decided to leave the F1 arena? RBR use the Honda technology for 2022-2025 and could add Porsche for future development >2025? Could be (and probably is) fake news ;)

Even if it was true (which I doubt) they wouldn't get rid of the name any more than they got rid of the Lamborghini name when they bought them. The road cars are still Lamborghini, they still race as Lamborghini. Sure F1 is a little different in that they're not based on road cars but they wouldn't just ditch the familiar and historic brandname then spend years building up the Audi name as an F1 name.

Back