• 341 comments

Northstar

The Original Party Worm
Premium
United States
Anoka, MN
300px-WeatherTech_SportsCar_Championship_logo.png

Schedule:

January 24: Motul Pole Award 100 (Qualifying race for 24 Hours at Daytona)
January 30-31: Rolex 24 at Daytona [All Classes]
March 20: Twelve Hours of Sebring [All Classes]

May 16: Mid-Ohio [DPi, LMP3, GTD]
June 6: Belle Isle [DPi, LMP2, GTD]
June 27: Six Hours of The Glen [All Classes]
July 4: Canadian Tire Motorsport Park (MoSport) [DPi, LMP3, GTLM, GTD]
July 17: Lime Rock Park [GTLM, GTD]
August 8: Road America [All Classes]
August 22: Virginia International Raceway [GTLM, GTD]
September 12: WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca [DPi, LMP2, GTLM, GTD]
September 25: Long Beach [DPi, GTLM, GTD]
October 9: Motul Petit Le Mans [All Classes]

Last edited:
I should imagine most of the people who frequent threads like this have already seen them, but in case you missed it; Wayne Taylor Racing (Car #10) and Meyer Shank Racing (Car #60) have both unveiled the liveries for their new Acura ARX-05s.

DP21-1000x600.jpg

The WTR livery is closer to me due to its color scheme but both look stunning, much better imho than the Penske version.

The Penske one felt forced. Trying to almost blend the classic Acura livery of the Prototype Lights days with the classic Penske Marlboro liveries. It was okay.

Anyone willing to pull off purple or pink cars gets a thumbs up in my book. Guaranteed to stick out.

Do we have any official confirmation about BMW’s GTLM program? I can’t recall reading anything apart from unconfirmed reports of endurance-only participation.

They are on the entry list. Means they probably paid the entry fee. But lack of any info is odd seeing they are less than a week from the start of the points paying Roar Before the 24 Qualifying race.

@TheHun99, BMW seemed to just shift a few of their former DTM contracted drivers over to partner the pre-existing lineups. Also, Ericsson joins as the 4th driver in Ganassi's Cadillac. Was hoping maybe to see Kurt Busch or Ross Chastain, but another former F1 driver is impressive.

https://www.imsa.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/32/2021/01/18/IWSC-Roar-Pre-Event-Entry-List-v2.pdf

It's good to see Kat and Christina back in IMSA! Also of note for me in the entry list are 5 GTD Porsches, a bunch of Mercedes factory drivers (too lazy to check in a last 2 years whether it was already the case) and 2 Astons with decent lineups. The Lambos look also strong, the Ferraris and the NSX too. It looks like we're gonna have a good Rolex 24h, can't wait for the Roar!!

Last edited:
Seems GM has accepted the fact GTLM is dead, although they haven't confirmed whether they would be doing a GT3 program or "moving" the Corvette program to LMDh (or both).

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/gm-lmdh-gt3-discussions-on-the-table/

I'm guessing it largely depends on what direction IMSA and ACO go with GTE/GTLM and GT3.

Now that sounds like really good news!

I just hope if they do manage to secure a program it doesn't end up falling apart like the last couple (Granted the Heinricher program at least made it a whole season).

GTD is looking like a 24 Hour dogfight at this point, hopefully IMSA does a good job with the BoP and lets them race.

Seems GM has accepted the fact GTLM is dead, although they haven't confirmed whether they would be doing a GT3 program or "moving" the Corvette program to LMDh (or both).

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/gm-lmdh-gt3-discussions-on-the-table/

I'm guessing it largely depends on what direction IMSA and ACO go with GTE/GTLM and GT3.

I don’t see factory teams being allowed into a future GT class (though, to be fair, Corvette Racing is the last true factory GT left). So why not build a GT car for customers, and race prototypes? VW and Toyota have done it recently, and will in the future.

Last edited:
Worrying thing is it isn't just GTLM. It is also the GTE class in the WEC. It seems the whole idea of GTE is dying out and GT3 is going to be the top class of GT racing.

Worrying thing is it isn't just GTLM. It is also the GTE class in the WEC. It seems the whole idea of GTE is dying out and GT3 is going to be the top class of GT racing.

GTE-Am seems to be quite healthy for now in WEC and ELMS. I support GT convergence but the other day I heard an interesting argument I believe on Double Stint by John Dagys: GT3 belongs to SRO and every championship has to ask Ratel to use it. The real question is whether Ratel wants to jeopardize his GTWC championships, especially GTWC Europe for the chance to run GT3s in Le Mans*. we'll see how it will pan out. From this perspective I'm interested to see how things will go in Germany between ADAC GT Masters and DTM.

*EDIT: I do realize that ACO already licenses GT3 for AsLMS (where there are no GTEs at all) and for the Michelin Le Mans Cup and through MLMC current GT3s do run in Le Mans during the 24h weekend - but obviously not for the main honors.

Last edited:
GTE-Am seems to be quite healthy for now in WEC and ELMS. I support GT convergence but the other day I heard an interesting argument I believe on Double Stint by John Dagys: GT3 belongs to SRO and every championship has to ask Ratel to use it. The real question is whether Ratel wants to jeopardize his GTWC championships, especially GTWC Europe for the chance to run GT3s in Le Mans*. we'll see how it will pan out. From this perspective I'm interested to see how things will go in Germany between ADAC GT Masters and DTM.

*EDIT: I do realize that ACO already licenses GT3 for AsLMS (where there are no GTEs at all) and for the Michelin Le Mans Cup and through MLMC current GT3s do run in Le Mans during the 24h weekend - but obviously not for the main honors.

I always thought GTE-AM (WEC/ELMS) and GTD (IMSA) were basically GT3-spec GT cars.

I can see the thinking perhaps behind the idea Stephane may not want to risk his series which is just growing bigger all the time. The WEC and IMSA WSCC are for me are more high profile championships. The GTWC format has proved immensely successful and popular as well as strong and healthy. But the prestige of Le Mans may, want for me possibly, encourage teams like Grasser to do Le Mans more than say the TOTAL 24 Hours at Spa if GT3 was allowed to be in the WEC. They are already in the GTD class of IMSA WSCC. I can certainly see your thinking and I am guessing it is, whatever will happen, it may make the GTWC poorer in some way if GT3 was allowed to replace GTE as the top spec GT class.

NBCSN to close up at the end of 2021.

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-c...-widget&ic_medium=widget&ic_campaign=widget-1

I had heard this rumor a couple of weeks ago and now I guess it's official. I guess NASCAR and IMSA will move to USA Network then? I watch the English Premier League and NBC has started putting a lot of those games behind the Peacock Premium paywall but I don't know if they will put all of them there and still show a game Saturday afternoon on the main NBC network.

So IMSA decided that they would make qualifying for the 24 more exciting by making it into a sprint race. Ok, I’m game. Can’t wait to sit down Sunday and get my first dose of 2021 Sports car rac...
EEC89C8B-F8B8-493C-9996-91B012610177.jpeg

Oh... never mind I guess...

Back