2021 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar ChampionshipSports Cars 

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 341 comments
With Ganassi seemingly being the GM factory team it will be interesting to see where Action Express and JDC slot in. I just hope JDC finds a way to stay in the top class since Minnesota based race teams at the top level aren't exactly commonplace.

Apparently there is a rumor going around that Hendrick may buy AXR. I wasn't even aware of it until AXR denied it so I kind of wonder if there actually is something to it.

Not gonna lie, I kind of want to see it happen and Andretti also get a LMDh deal just so we can finally get a showdown between the top 4 teams in American racing.

Apparently there is a rumor going around that Hendrick may buy AXR. I wasn't even aware of it until AXR denied it so I kind of wonder if there actually is something to it.

Not gonna lie, I kind of want to see it happen and Andretti also get a LMDh deal just so we can finally get a showdown between the top 4 teams in American racing.
Same. That rumor never came my way either. Though, I’d like to see Hendrick expand outside NASCAR again as well. Wouldn’t be the first time they ran a prototype in IMSA.

AER does seem to be very dependent on big sponsorship to survive though, more so than manufacturer involvement or a big backed ownership. So maybe Whelen could be leaving?

Lamborghini is apparently close to confirming an LMDh program. It would be another rebadge of the VAG car but if it means another manufacturer team on the grid I can live with it.

So maybe Whelen could be leaving?
I think they came close to leaving a couple years ago, so it wouldn't surprise me. I hope they don't though as that scheme is up there in my favorites list.

RLL will be running the BMW LMDh program (in IMSA at least, still no word on a WEC program), which will be based on the Dallara chassis.

Last edited:
Wasn't expecting that. Keeps RLL in the BMW fold, but I am surprised that it's not in the form of a GTD PRO Program. Maybe that's where Turner Motorsport comes in?

RLL will be running the BMW LMDh program (in IMSA at least, still no word on a WEC program), which will be based on the Dallara chassis.

Doesn't this mean this'll be the first time in over 20 years since BMW was in prototype racing? As far as I'm aware, their last prototype was the V12 LMR.

Last edited:
Doesn't this mean this'll be the first time in over 20 years since BMW was in prototype racing? As far as I'm aware, their last prototype was the V12 LMR.
That depends on whether you want to count the prototurtles or not as they had a Daytona Prototype program until 2014.

grandam-lime-rock-2012-01-telmex-chip-ganassi-racing-with-felix-sabates-bmw-riley-scott-pr.jpg

Seems the class has a decent chance of getting to double digits for full season entries, plus I'm sure a few more will enter for at least the Florida portion of the NAEC. Hopefully it doesn't cannibalize the Pro-Am class too much though.

Seems the class has a decent chance of getting to double digits for full season entries, plus I'm sure a few more will enter for at least the Florida portion of the NAEC. Hopefully it doesn't cannibalize the Pro-Am class too much though.
I think you’ll still see the smaller guys (Paul Miller/Wright/Steve Dinan’s new team) stay in the Pro-Am as somebody has the pay the bills for them to run.

2024 is shaping up to be a big year for sports car racing.

It does kind of suck that Corvette will only have 1 car in each series, but it’s understandable since they don’t have a massive stockpile of C8.R GTE chassis laying around.

2024 is shaping up to be a big year for sports car racing.

It does kind of suck that Corvette will only have 1 car in each series, but it’s understandable since they don’t have a massive stockpile of C8.R GTE chassis laying around.
This article says both C8.R's will run in the 24 Hours of Le Mans. So they're going to have two C8.R GTE cars at Le Mans only for that race, one running the regular season in WEC and just one for the entire season in IMSA?

https://www.motorsport.com/wec/news...c-programs-in-22-customer-gt3s-in-24/6768784/

I wonder if it will be on the free version of Peacock? Probably not I guess I will have to pony up 4.99 a month when the next season starts :lol:

Back