2021 Mercedes S-Class (W223)

Antarctica
TRAPPIST-1g
ProjectWHaT
mercedes-benz-s-class_100691597_h.jpg

mercedes-benz-s-class_100691599_h.jpg

mercedes-benz-s-class_100691601_h.jpg

mercedes-benz-s-class_100691609_h.jpg

Every powertrain will be electrified, either with mild-hybrid or plug-in hybrid technology, and most engines will either be a 3.0-liter inline-6 or 4.0-liter V-8. It’s not clear if there will be an electric version as Mercedes is working on a large electric sedan under the EQ sub-brand.

But getting back to the new S-Class, there will also be much more advanced self-driving systems, including perhaps a Level 3 system.

Inside the dash will still consist of a dual-screen setup, but the secondary screen will increase dramatically in size and be mounted in a portrait orientation. At the bottom of the massive screen sits one row of buttons with the rest of the controls relegated to the touchscreen interface.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1050931_2021-mercedes-benz-s-class-spy-shots-and-video

Can't say I'm a fan of the new design language that MB's going towards, the last/current gen S-Class is one of my favorites of modern luxury sedans. But I will say I'm looking forward to the W223 getting augmented reality in the HUD. I always thought that AR was cool in the MB's screens on current cars, but it'd be even better in the windshield. Looks like that's going to be happening.
https://www.motor1.com/news/432657/2021-mercedes-s-class-w223-interior/

Changing the dash from a horizontal to vertical layout and removing the 'single strip' display effect has made it looked extremely dated and much uglier compared to the previous gen as well as the rest of the Mercedes range. Why change a currently much praised class leading trademark interior for a few iPad's dropped all over the place?

Changing the dash from a horizontal to vertical layout and removing the 'single strip' display effect has made it looked extremely dated and much uglier compared to the previous gen as well as the rest of the Mercedes range. Why change a currently much praised class leading trademark interior for a few iPad's dropped all over the place?

That's for my chauffeur to deal with...

... As long as he or she doesnt make me spill my drink...

I’m surprised no one’s tried to link distracted driving with the giant tablet all cars have superglued to their dashpanels these days. That thing is ridiculous.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/07/29/2021-mercedes-benz-s-class-tech-preview

20C0377_018.jpg

The new S class gets the same suspension tech as the GLE and GLS where it can lean in the direction you're turning to keep the car flat. Additionally, "Mercedes’ Road Surface Scan (camera at top of windshield) is linked up with the suspension, so that when the camera sees bumps in the road, the spring struts are activated to reduce body movements." Also, it has something called "Pre-Safe+" which raises the car by 3 inches if it detects a side impact happening, much like the Audi prototype shown off 3 years ago

20C0377_013.jpg

The new S class also gets rear axle steering. It can either be optioned to turn up to 4.5 or 10 degrees.

20C0377_008.jpg

The S class will be the first car ever to come with front impact airbags for rear passengers

rearairbagmerc.jpg

Mercedes builds beautiful cars for the last few years.

Last edited:
Call me crazy, but this newer design almost reminds me of the 2010s-ish Ford Taurus. Not as beautiful as most other recent Mercedes-Benz models, but not entirely ugly either. I'll grade this one a B+ on its design.

Such a disappointment looks wise, most previous S-Class generations look better than that.

I hate to say this about Mercedes-Benz, who makes some lovely cars... but this one kind of looks like 2010s Fords. Almost like a Mercedes-Benz Taurus. Not a total disappointment looks-wise, but Mercedes-Benz can do much better. Looks aren't everything, but they can be a deterrent in actually trying to get excited over a car.

I feel like this S class just lacks the presence of the previous generations, the previous generations had this aura about them like they were just above everything else. I dont see that with this.

I feel like this S class just lacks the presence of the previous generations, the previous generations had this aura about them like they were just above everything else. I dont see that with this.

I feel like they desperately need to condense their range. Too many cars in the same lineup that are all way too equal.

SUV's: GLA-GLB-GLC-GLC Coupe-GLE-GLE Coupe-GLS

Sedans: A Class, C Class, E Class, CLS Class
Coupes (which are sedans in my view): CLA Class, CLS Class
6 roadsters, 5 actual coupe models, add the wagons, the supercars, and the subclasses within each model, Mercedes currently make over 95 models (If you break down each individual such as GLC 300, GLC 300 4matic, GLC 350 4matic, GLC 43, GLC 63).

This is insane. Especially when half of them all look exactly the same lol

Last edited:
I feel like they desperately need to condense their range. Too many cars in the same lineup that are all way too equal.

SUV's: GLA-GLB-GLC-GLC Coupe-GLE-GLE Coupe-GLS

Sedans: A Class, C Class, E Class, CLS Class
Coupes (which are sedans in my view): CLA Class, CLS Class
6 roadsters, 5 actual coupe models, add the wagons, the supercars, and the subclasses within each model, Mercedes currently make over 95 models (If you break down each individual such as GLC 300, GLC 300 4matic, GLC 350 4matic, GLC 43, GLC 63).

This is insane. Especially when half of them all look exactly the same lol
100%, it cant be cost effective, half their cars are cannibalizing the other half. It should just be hatchback, low price saloon, mid price saloon, mafia high price saloon, and same with the suvs and maybe an electric car or two. Now it requires effort to know which car is which which bad coming from someone that knows more then the average consumer. How is a sales person meant to explain the positives of each model.

Back