2021 World Endurance Championship

GTE needs to die. Replace it with Endurance GT3 cars. There’s hardly any difference between the two classes anyways and nobody is interested in Pro anymore. If pretty much all the GTE entries are customer cars now, it makes sense to just go with GT3 as that’s already a customer category.

Also pretty disappointed with the Hypercar turnout. Toyota is showing up with their TS050 in drag (literally) and there are only three more cars besides them. It’s less of a turnout than there was last year when LMP1 was dying and this was supposed to be the big revival that top-class prototype racing needed.

Meanwhile besides the Toyotas which are guaranteed to win, we have Alpine using one second-hand LMP1 car and two SCG cars that are completely unproven. This is looking like another wash of a season right now.

(For reference there were 6 entries in LMP1 last season to this year’s 5 Hypercars)

But I think the most damning thing of all is that in the first season of Hypercars there’s not a single entry based on an existing road car like what was initially proposed/expected for the class, with all three entrants this year going the prototype route with no road car or a road car based on the prototype. No Senna GTR, no Valkyrie, etc.

Last edited:
So, the Peugeot LMH coming during the season?

LMH is turning as same as previous LMP1 category, Hybrid and others. Beside Toyota and later Peugeot, not a lot of "big" brands want to come into this "new era"...

Ferrari/Porsche, the only official GT :(

I was sooo looking forward to the 2021 WEC. But I suppose the beauty of multclass series is you can focus on other classes not just the top class. Though I do think at least Glickenhaus signed well in Ryan Briscoe. But hopefully things will pick up. But news so far is not encouraging. At least the LMP2's look to be packed out with a very sizable field of teams and decent drivers. Only downside is theirs 8 ORECA 07's, 1 Alpine A470 and 1 Ligier JS P217. But with luck the quality of the class and the numbers will more than make up for it. I may even do the same with the IMSA WSCC.

But GTE-PRO is doing for the GT's what LMH is doing for the Prototypes. The top class which is meant to be the feature attraction is just....dead. I do agree GTE-PRO is a class that needs to go. It has run it's course. BMW and Ford withdrawing just sent it on an inevitable slope down to now. But @TheHun99 said on the IMSA thread in reply to a comment I made about GT3 being the top spec of GT car. He said "would Stephane jeopardize the GTWC Europe for a chance to run in Le Mans". Make of it what you will but for me that could mean the GTWC would suffer if teams like Grasser, HTP and Sainteloc joined the grid. The only team that does both is my team AF Corse.

I am just hoping that thinks will pick up.

But I think the most damning thing of all is that in the first season of Hypercars there’s not a single entry based on an existing road car like what was initially proposed/expected for the class, with all three entrants this year going the prototype route with no road car or a road car based on the prototype. No Senna GTR, no Valkyrie, etc.

ACO put in the road car-based rules to please Aston Martin, Hypercar/LMH was originally pure prototype.

The Covid 2.0 issues attack again to the WEC this time, maybe

Just 4 GT Pro cars? and chevrolet with the new Corvette?

Hypercar this year is just a promotion for the new class

Last edited:
People seem to be under the impression that the top class in endurance racing is bad because of only 5 cars this year. Short-term I can understand that, but long-term we'll have a grid of:
Toyota
Glickenhaus
Peugeot
Audi
Porsche
Potentially Acura/Honda based on their IMSA plans at least.

The GT categories on the other hand are unfortunately on their way out in their current forms. If they do decide to go for GT3's I'd prefer to see a "Works/Pro" BoP & a slightly slower "Customer/Am" BoP to encourage more factory efforts in collaboration with existing teams (Like how Chip Ganassi Racing were responsible for the factory Ford effort). Maybe even some slightly more advanced aero parts that could be bolted on for the Pro class.

Just stay patient, and we'll see what happens.

GTE should definitely get dissolved and they should turn it into GT2/3. Several manufacturers have GT2 cars as well as GT3.

Maybe WEC needs to do

Hypercar/LMDH
LMP2
GT2
GT3/am
Maybe even a Cup/Trofeo just to add cars.

Potential GT2 offerings below

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2019/08/02/whos-coming-to-gt2-and-where-will-they-race.html

The name "GT2" is deceptive. The GT2-cars are slower than the GT3 cars. They have less aero and are generally much closer to road cars.

Honestly, this isn’t really surprising, I think most people anticipated this anyway since last year already. Looking forward to the race!

Sebring is 30 minutes from my house, been going every year sad to hear WEC won’t be there.
Oh well still have the 12 hour Classic, Porsche North America and IMSA Prototype Challenge.
Although I did buy a 4 day pass this year so we’ll see what happens.

The name "GT2" is deceptive. The GT2-cars are slower than the GT3 cars. They have less aero and are generally much closer to road cars.

They have less aero but they have more power as well. Which might even out on a high speed tracks like La Sarthe. But yes on most other tracks they will be slower. I dunno why they chose such a confusing name for the class.

GTE should definitely get dissolved and they should turn it into GT2/3. Several manufacturers have GT2 cars as well as GT3.

Maybe WEC needs to do

Hypercar/LMDH
LMP2
GT2
GT3/am
Maybe even a Cup/Trofeo just to add cars.

Potential GT2 offerings below

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2019/08/02/whos-coming-to-gt2-and-where-will-they-race.html
They can't add cars. Every WEC season entry gets an automatic invite to Le Mans and that cuts down on the invitations Le Mans can send out.

They have less aero but they have more power as well. Which might even out on a high speed tracks like La Sarthe. But yes on most other tracks they will be slower. I dunno why they chose such a confusing name for the class.

Because the terms "GT3" and "GT2" are trademarks. SRO realised that "GT2" was still available at the time, so they took it. Speed-wise it's between GT3 and GT4.

Here's an article about it. Link

"Eligible GT2 cars will feature a 2-1 weight to power ratio, limited aerodynamic developments, limited modification to road car shape and no modification in engine or gearbox positioning."

Because the terms "GT3" and "GT2" are trademarks. SRO realised that "GT2" was still available at the time, so they took it. Speed-wise it's between GT3 and GT4.

Here's an article about it. Link

"Eligible GT2 cars will feature a 2-1 weight to power ratio, limited aerodynamic developments, limited modification to road car shape and no modification in engine or gearbox positioning."

Yes I know. I still find it a bad naming system. Maybe call it GT3.5 or GT3 Pro instead.

Back