2023 Toyota GR Corolla - 300hp / 6MT / AWD

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 125 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
Searched but couldn't find a thread for this? Feel free to merge if I missed it.

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/04/r...uch-as-296-hp-from-its-three-cylinder-engine/

In a new report, the Japanese publication claims that Toyota will tweak this engine to 296 hp, putting the GR Corolla right up there with the likes of the Honda Civic Type R, Renault Megane R.S Trophy, and Hyundai i30 N. Previous reports had indicated that Toyota would also differentiate the flagship Corolla from the GR Yaris by ditching the rally-bred all-wheel drive system of the Yaris in favor of front-wheel drive. However, Car Sensor suggests the GR Corolla will indeed have all-wheel drive and a six-speed manual transmission.

This rumor has persisted and the market is right for it. Hopefully Toyota is finally figuring their crap out and is going to enter this market that sells as fast as they're made. If this car fixes the standard Corolla's miserable driving position then I would heavily consider it over a Hyundai. I mean, that warranty is hard to beat but I have become a bit of a Toyota fanboy.

VXR
Wider arches please.
You mean like this?

toyota-corolla-grmn-render-2.jpg

Pretty sure it'll be based on an all new Corolla hatch design so any photoshops right now wouldn't be very accurate.

The GR Yaris front grill doesn't suit the Corolla.
True, but it doesn't suit the Yaris very well either. The big honkin GR grille is reminiscent of older Japanese cars like Evos and WRXs that had gnarly rally-inspired front fascias. They were aggressive and cool, but ugly, and the cars overall had a pretty bad design to them. So in keeping with the 90s and 2000s "ugly but aggressive" design theme, I think slapping that big open grille on the Corolla is actually really appropriate.

3d9a8b12403dc1c009192f2d04e40f73.jpg

SUBARUImprezaWRXSTi-3688_1.jpg

1991-toyota-celica-gt-four-rc

Now I'm actually wondering if GR took inspiration from the GT-Four because the grill design is pretty similar.

Last edited:
True, but it doesn't suit the Yaris very well either. The big honkin GR grille is reminiscent of older Japanese cars like Evos and WRXs that had gnarly rally-inspired front fascias. They were aggressive and cool, but ugly, and the cars overall had a pretty bad design to them. So in keeping with the 90s and 2000s "ugly but aggressive" design theme, I think slapping that big open grille on the Corolla is actually really appropriate.

Now I'm actually wondering if GR took inspiration from the GT-Four because the grill design is pretty similar.
AFAIK, the big GR Yaris grill/radiator is made that way for a specific reason (as much air intake as possible and to resemble the WRC car).

781504.jpg

781505.jpg

I actually like the GR Yaris grill/radiator.

Last edited:
That's right, same as the old rally homologation cars. They don't rally the Corolla but they could if they wanted to. The US still has domestic rally series where Subaru and other companies still compete. I don't see a reason why Toyota couldn't get in on that action by making a proper rally-inspired GR Corolla, like how the STi is easily modified for rally duty.

This looks amazing, love the rear wheelarch flaring, spot on!

I'm a big fan of the GR Yaris, but they getting snapped up by youtubers with trust funds. If this come to Europe I would defo want one, but not with those wheels I prefer the wheels on the insert photo on the white version in the picture above.

Last edited:
Yeah that's pretty sick. I like the front end of the white one better. They could probably just reuse the foglight housings/intakes from the Yaris to save money.

It will come to Europe.
iu

This one will definitely come to the US though.

The only thing they have to do is replace the 60/40 with full RWD. So, 30/70 and 50/50 and 0/100

Last edited:

Don't know about you, but those aggressive ugly fascias still get a big ol grin out of me every time I see one. Maybe I'm too much a caveman.

If it comes here, it'll be sold out in minutes.

Hey- you got your i30N's and most likely the Yaris too. I'd like to at least see this over here!

Don't know about you, but those aggressive ugly fascias still get a big ol grin out of me every time I see one. Maybe I'm too much a caveman.

Hey- you got your i30N's and most likely the Yaris too. I'd like to at least see this over here!
Yeah, the GR Yaris's(Yarisus? Yarises? Yarii?) are common in my area. The new regular Yaris models and the Yaris Cross, are popping up now.

If Toyota wants to continue forging links between its GR road cars and motorsport (GR Yaris/WRC, GR SS/Le Mans) then a GR Corolla should be prime opportunity to forge links towards the BTCC.
21dc8636-065c-4c57-b4ff-bbb026cf1e21.jpg

Toyota sources have confirmed exclusively to Wheels that the long-rumoured GR Corolla is 100 percent go for launch in late 2022 or early 2023. What’s more, the car will be powered by the quirky turbocharged 1.6-litre three-cylinder engine from the GR Yaris, driving all four wheels through a six-speed manual transmission.

Mazda is gunning for BMW with everything they've got. Any effort spent not in that pursuit is probably unaffordable for Mazda at this point.
I understand Mazda need to get their foot in the door with that. I figure the RX-V is taking some resources and funding to realise. Not expecting an M4 fighter so soon.
However, Toyota released the Supra, GR Yaris and GR86. At least slap a supercharger on the MX-5 or steal the 1.4T from the 124. Something.

Toyota teased the GR Corolla hatch 4 weeks ago

gr-corolla-teaser-2-png.10

The G:16 on the clock represents the G16E-GTS engine in the GR Yaris. The climate control temperature says "2 68" which is the power output of the GR Yaris

I just hope they change the driving position of the GR Corolla. That will be a deal breaker to me. The standard Corolla has such a bad driving position - steering wheel needs like 6 inches more telescope - that I can't stand driving them as rental cars. They're just miserable to sit in. You can even tell in that photo how close the wheel is to the dash.

Last edited:
Apparently if you are in Canada you can put a deposit down on this car right now. USA unconfirmed at the moment.

Edit: I called one of the top dealers in Phoenix and the guy couldn't find it in the system. He also didn't know the car existed, which is not surprising given my previous experience with dealerships and future products.

Last edited:
Back