2024 Formula 1 Constructors threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 793 comments
Mercedes W13 teaser image
1641060030128.png

It's apparently just one of the showcar models they've slapped a Merc badge on.

Even when we do get to the reveals in February we'll still not be seeing the real cars, just mules to show off the livery. Testing day 1 is when we'll see them first and even then, they hide and hold stuff back until race 1 FP1.

Even when we do get to the reveals in February we'll still not be seeing the real cars, just mules to show off the livery. Testing day 1 is when we'll see them first and even then, they hide and hold stuff back until race 1 FP1.
We'll at least get an idea of various concepts from individual teams.

That said regarding the Merc pic,, side by side with the showcar, it is substantially different, 3 front wing elements vs 4 on the showcar, larger sidepods, different rear wing, nose shape and airbox also different.

That's what I thought it looked like as I would expect official team cars to start looking noticeably different from the show car.

That's what I thought it looked like as I would expect official team cars to start looking noticeably different from the show car.
The Mercedes is if you look closely. Quite a lot of differences in fact

The tires on the Merc are noticeably smaller than on the F1 concept too. Did they mount the older wheels on it to try and make it look like it's going to be sitting lower than it really will be?

The tires on the Merc are noticeably smaller than on the F1 concept too. Did they mount the older wheels on it to try and make it look like it's going to be sitting lower than it really will be?
Could be the perspective, the perspective is very slightly different between them. Difficult to tell.

Could be the perspective, the perspective is very slightly different between them. Difficult to tell.
Could be, the concept's wheels are a lot more cambered than the Merc's too it seems, so that could be throwing things off visually as well.

Though at this stage in the game I'm suspecting everyone will be using some form of subtle trickery to hide the smaller details that they've altered, so only the team themselves know what's legit and what isn't just yet.

The only real surprise is why teams continue to hide and deny all the worst kept rumours... About as shocking as Mercedes announcement that George Russell was being given a 2022 race seat!

Martin Whitmarsh's arrival to Aston Martin F1 prompted the rumours in the first place, so I wonder how long we will be made to wait before the surprise reveal of his role within the team being Otmar's replacement... Not sure whether Martin is better for the team than Otmar either, more experience but not necessarily the best experience from his McLaren years...

Another dose of VAG rumours.

Following on from news that Audi and Porsche were keen to join F1, our intel now suggests the deal is as good as done. CAR understands that the agreement– waiting to get the thumbs up from the Volkswagen supervisory board – will see Audi and Porsche will enter top-league motor racing in 2026.

One of those two buying the branding rights to RBR's engine program as a soft entry into the sport isn't out of the realm of possibility, it does make more sense than just outright buying a backmarker team with limited reources and exposure. And I imagine RBR would like the cash to keep from having to foot the bill for engine development all on their own.

Plus, I will say that "Porsche Red Bull Racing" does have a nice ring to it.

So this is primarily an FE announcement…

But surely this has major implications for McLaren’s intent in F1 and elsewhere? Seems like they’re doubling down on their partnership with Mercedes, and seems ever more unlikely that Audi would buy them out.

So this is primarily an FE announcement…

But surely this has major implications for McLaren’s intent in F1 and elsewhere? Seems like they’re doubling down on their partnership with Mercedes, and seems ever more unlikely that Audi would buy them out.

This is not a partnership, McLaren bought the team outright.

Congratulations to Sauber who have the remarkable achievement of running works efforts for Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Audi in their history.

They join Joest (Porsche, Opel and Audi) in being contracted to three German manufacturers.

On the subject of Sauber, their partnership with Alfa Romeo will be concluding at the end of the 2023 season.

So with Audi finally entering after decades of rumors, does that mean Ferrari will actually leave and start their own series?

So with Audi finally entering after decades of rumors, does that mean Ferrari will actually leave and start their own series?
Might be the only way they can win races AND still have embarrassing screw-ups.

It would be a shame if Alfa Romeo left for good.

Hopefully they buy Haas and make a full on works team.
They were only ever a title sponsor, really no different from Petronas. They just happened to be a car manufacturer. They do claim to have a technical partnership but I doubt it was anything significant. Sauber still run that team.

Pretty sure they're not in a position to nor have any desire to actually join F1 in a full on sense.

It would be a shame if Alfa Romeo left for good.
Not really. They brought absolutely nothing to the table except money for Sauber (and confusion for new fans). Sauber doesn't need the money anymore, so that's the end for Alfa Romeo.
Hopefully they buy Haas and make a full on works team.
They clearly never wanted to have their own team, considering they even paid Sauber to drop their own name and pretend like Alfa Romeo ran the team. Haas doesn't want that, they want to advertise their CNC machines, so Alfa Romeo isn't coming back. Maybe Williams would want that if they're dropping Latifi and his money.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back