2024 Formula 1 Constructors threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 793 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
A thread for every discussion related to the teams and constructors of the 2020 Formula 1 season, or ramifications for 2021, that doesn't belong in other threads.

We start with Williams finalising their sale!
https://www.racefans.net/2020/08/21...in-f1-as-team-is-sold-to-us-company-dorilton/
The team has been sold to "American private investment firm Dorilton Capital", who want to reinvest in the team as best as possible, while preserving the history.

The team will stay being called "Williams", will stay in Grove at their factory and will not remove the "FW" naming moniker from each of the cars.

This is basically win-win for Williams and fans. The history and identity of the team is staying exactly the same, while an outside company is investing more money into the team and basically vetting the process to find out what needs doing to get them back to the front.

A thread for every discussion related to the teams and constructors of the 2020 Formula 1 season, or ramifications for 2021, that doesn't belong in other threads.

We start with Williams finalising their sale!
https://www.racefans.net/2020/08/21...in-f1-as-team-is-sold-to-us-company-dorilton/
The team has been sold to "American private investment firm Dorilton Capital", who want to reinvest in the team as best as possible, while preserving the history.

The team will stay being called "Williams", will stay in Grove at their factory and will not remove the "FW" naming moniker from each of the cars.

This is basically win-win for Williams and fans. The history and identity of the team is staying exactly the same, while an outside company is investing more money into the team and basically vetting the process to find out what needs doing to get them back to the front.
That's great news, and seeing it all had the legend himself's blessing (I highly doubt any deal would have happened without it) should put to bed any sentimental frustrations from fans.

Keeping Williams on the grid, and, hopefully moving back to the sharp end, will be a monumental positive for F1. It will show that a few years getting it wrong doesn't have to doom a team to total failure - nice if you are Haas or AR/Sauber. Big win-win for Williams and F1.

Judging by how Google autocompleted their name almost immediately when I went to search for it, I can tell I'm not the only one interested in who Dorilton Captial are. Doesn't seem to be too much outside the recent news and their own website, so I can only hope they actually have an eye on Williams' future and not just their portfolio assets. This is prime time for raider firms to go looking for troubled companies with valuable names to snatch up and dismantle for a quick buck, after all.

I think it's a bit early to say win-win. I'm skeptical. I'll reserve my judgement until I see how it plays out.

I want Williams back to being in top 3 like the good old days, but I can't see it happening to be honest. The era of privateer teams in F1 is gone. Lotus, Brabham, Tyrrell, and now Williams. Getting a cash boost is no guarantee of success, even with the new cost cap rules coming. I'd love to be proven otherwise but I can't see a good ending at all for Sir Frank's fairytale story :(

I want Williams back to being in top 3 like the good old days, but I can't see it happening to be honest. The era of privateer teams in F1 is gone. Lotus, Brabham, Tyrrell, and now Williams. Getting a cash boost is no guarantee of success, even with the new cost cap rules coming. I'd love to be proven otherwise but I can't see a good ending at all for Sir Frank's fairytale story :(

The only way I could see privateers come back is if all the manufacturers left to pursue electric series and F1 stayed ICE-based.

None of those are privateer teams. Privateers are like how GT3 and MotoGP. Manufacturers build cars and then sell them to teams who don’t build anything. F1 used to have this until about 1982 when they were banned. So not only would there be a factory Lotus team, for example, but there’d also be 2-3 little privateers running Lotus chassis that they bought off Lotus but have no ties to the factory team. I think Williams started out as a privateer, running Wolf and Tyrrell I think before building their own cars.

None of those are privateer teams. Privateers are like how GT3 and MotoGP. Manufacturers build cars and then sell them to teams who don’t build anything. F1 used to have this until about 1982 when they were banned. So not only would there be a factory Lotus team, for example, but there’d also be 2-3 little privateers running Lotus chassis that they bought off Lotus but have no ties to the factory team. I think Williams started out as a privateer, running Wolf and Tyrrell I think before building their own cars.

Yes, my bad. I should have said "non-manufacturer constructors". Basically teams whose sole purpose is to race, and not sell cars with racing as a way to promote it. I think Lotus was also selling road cars back then, but it was comparatively a small company. On present day, almost all teams have some manufacturer support. RB/AT is basically factory Honda team and Haas has a big company behind it (although it doesn't sell cars). Williams being the only exception who is still building almost everything on their own. They have Williams Advanced Engineering who builds parts and tech for some cars, but not a full car manufacturer on its own.

Yes, my bad. I should have said "non-manufacturer constructors". Basically teams whose sole purpose is to race, and not sell cars with racing as a way to promote it. I think Lotus was also selling road cars back then, but it was comparatively a small company. On present day, almost all teams have some manufacturer support. RB/AT is basically factory Honda team and Haas has a big company behind it (although it doesn't sell cars). Williams being the only exception who is still building almost everything on their own. They have Williams Advanced Engineering who builds parts and tech for some cars, but not a full car manufacturer on its own.
Generally the nomenclature is (or was) works/factory outfits that built both their chassis and their engine (think: Ferrari, BRM, Matra), customer/constructor teams that only built chassis but had to purchase engines (think:Lotus, Brabham, McLaren), and then finally the privateers that bought everything.

Technically Haas and Williams are in the same ship, though with some differences in just how many parts they purchase. Haas’ non-F1 technology is all in racing and engineering just like Williams, just on a grander scale. Arguably Sauber is there as well, because the Alfa Romeo badges are technically title sponsors. Alfa corporate have no actual role in the team.

Lotus were really only doing what Ferrari were doing back then. i.e., selling road cars to fund the racing outfit. The road cars were NOT the main business goal, at least not under Chapman’s leadership. Much like how Enzo couldn’t care less about the road cars, so long as they kept the money coming in for the racing. Maserati and Alfa Romeo and Aston Martin were honestly much the same, at least back in the 50s. The racing took precedent. You can sort of see when those companies transitioned to being more oriented towards road cars, as they wound down their commitment to racing and particularly sports cars/grand prix cars.
Ferrari still sort of likes to pretend that this is still the case, but the reality is probably more along the lines of “F1 is vital to our brand image. If we abandon F1, our image will be tarnished and people might stop buying our road cars.” Sort of a symbiotic/parasitic relationship. Mercedes and Renault and Honda by contrast can and will jump ship the instant things start to look questionable for their bean counters. They’ve done it in the past and will in the future.

I don't know quite where this fits, but as he was a famous (or an infamous) team boss I'll put it in this thread.

Flavio Briatore's condition is described as "critical" after he became ill with symptoms of coronavirus. In recent weeks he's been railing quite publicly about various lockdown measures, but there's no pleasure in him falling on the wrong side of irony.

Frank and Claire Williams are to step down from the team following the Monza GP. BBC.

That I was I guess to be expected, will be a shame not to see them at the GP's but I hope the team's new owners will continue and hopefully the next Williams or if the team is renamed will be a stronger performer

That I was I guess to be expected, will be a shame not to see them at the GP's

More than a shame, imo, this was the last British-owned F1 team and the last of the true privateers. Admittedly Williams didn't have much luck the first time round before Wooollffff had some Brawn-style luck with their purchase, but this second team was an absolute cracker. Very sad news indeed.

Frank and Claire Williams are to step down from the team following the Monza GP. BBC.
Given that Claire was very adamant she wasn't going to let Russell or Latifi leave the team for another two years, I wonder if this means that's changed now. Not too much of a stretch to think the new owners might want someone with more experience in at least one of their cars next season.

Im sure Claire got the boot. Her steeping down is a courtesy to keep face. She hasn't exactly done well at the helm.

Hopefully they can get some ex F1 people in charge. Maybe chuck latifi out the window and get another driver in there next to Russell.

Last edited:
Interesting note about Williams' new board; one of the members is the 1994 Formula Renault champion, driving for Manor Motorsport, turned CEO of a financial investment group which is believed to be advised by the man who was Manor's F1 Sporting Director. So at least they have someone who has motorsports experience in there.

More than a shame, imo, this was the last British-owned F1 team and the last of the true privateers. Admittedly Williams didn't have much luck the first time round before Wooollffff had some Brawn-style luck with their purchase, but this second team was an absolute cracker. Very sad news indeed.

And their last win comes courtesy of Pastor Maldonado, then their garage catches on fire. :(

It's a matter of time until the name goes away as well probably. Having a Williams at the helm is what keeps them going even in tough times. A few hard seasons with little return on their investment and the new owners won't hesitate to pull the plug. The cost cap came a little too late.

Imagine if Alfa, Aston Martin/Stroll and Haas pulls out in the near future as well. We'll be left with a 6 team championship. Then if the big manufacturers starts pulling the plug as well (Mercedes, Renault). Four teams left, and two of them are basically Red Bull :ill:

It's a matter of time until the name goes away as well probably. Having a Williams at the helm is what keeps them going even in tough times. A few hard seasons with little return on their investment and the new owners won't hesitate to pull the plug. The cost cap came a little too late.

Imagine if Alfa, Aston Martin/Stroll and Haas pulls out in the near future as well. We'll be left with a 6 team championship. Then if the big manufacturers starts pulling the plug as well (Mercedes, Renault). Four teams left, and two of them are basically Red Bull :ill:
unless it gets sold to a Brand it might stay as it is, Mclaren went the same way in the 70s and it managed to live on.

https://www.racefans.net/2020/09/06/renault-confirms-new-alpine-name-f1-team-2021/

Renault will become Alpine F1 Team next season in a big rebranding exercise, most likely going to a predominantly blue livery.

Optimistic me thinks this is a good sign that they want to give the Alpine name more exposure ahead of launching a new road car.

Pessimistic me thinks thus is a good way to make it easier to sell the team off if things go sour post-regulations since the Renault name won't be on it anymore.

That's Alpine, pronounced as "Al-peen". That'll be fun with the Alfa, the Alpha and Alpine on the grid next season.
Alfa, Alpha, Alpine, and Aston. I'm looking forward to watching Formula A next year. :lol:

unless it gets sold to a Brand it might stay as it is, Mclaren went the same way in the 70s and it managed to live on.

I hope so, but the 70s are a totally different time from now. Also McLaren at least has a successful road car and GT racing programme to boost their coffers. Williams is purely just F1.

Back