2023 Nissan Z - 400hp, 6MT/9AT, $40k USD

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 703 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
Cat is out of the bag. Granted I've known this was coming for some time but it's nice to see it out and about now. Despite what this article says, no AWD though.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/10/its-finally-happening-nissan-spied-working-on-a-new-z-sports-car/

71de9532-2021-nissan-z-4.jpg

I'm quite doubtful that Nissan will have the new Z fully revealed by 2021. Wishful thinking, though.

Honestly... I think a big chunk of the reason the Z has stagnated and we haven't seen a new generation in 11 years is not only because of laziness on Nissan's part, but also because no one has any clue what to make of it. Should it be a direct competitor the Supra? Should it go back to the basics and aim for the BreezeFrees? Should it be an all out track monster not far off from the GT-R? Should it stay RWD or have AWD? I4 or V6? Make it electric? Keep it NA or turbocharge it? It seems no one can come to a consensus of what it should be.

Personally, I think it should directly compete with the Supra. Call it the 400Z, keep it RWD and give it two engine options: a smaller turbocharged I4 and an NA V6 (the latter being more powerful), offer a NISMO performance package. Power should be in the 300-400hp range. It could have an edge over the Supra by being a 2+2 coupe, a starting price in the low $40k area, and of course, a manual option.

And it's rather disappointing that it's going to be based on the Infiniti Q60. The platform is almost seven years old now, making it sort of dated. That being said, with Nissan's current financial state, it's not surprising that the new Z won't have it's own unique platform.

I have no issue with the Q60 platform. Mid-front engine with double wishbones at all four corners - that's a good place to start. The 370z, is IMO still a great machine. It's absolutely dated, but its also in a class of its own - a no-nonsense analogue sports car with great fundamentals and a very effective (if not so sweet) powertrain. The interior looks straight out of 2009, but the ergonomics and controls are excellent. Even being 10 years old, the design of the 370z has held up, though I've never warmed up to the over-endowed rear flanks. Its a good looking car.

I hope a new Z doesn't change the formula too much. Things that need improvement:
-Interior: goes without saying. The current car's design and layout are pretty good, but some things that were questionable even in 2009, like the stupid ugly LED fuel indicator, are laughable in 2019.
-Refinement: The 370z feels agricultural. Not saying it needs to be a princess, but just clean up the rough edges. Nissan spent a lot of time getting the 350z to sound just the way they wanted it to. I never liked that sound too much, but I don't feel like they even tried with the 370z. It sounds just bad as delivered.

What it doesn't need:
-Tons of tech: Maybe save the hybrid awd shenanigans for the GT-R...though I wouldn't mind an unobtrusive and lightweight mild hybrid setup.
-Tons of power: ~350 is enough, innit? I spent the last few days driving around in a 2-ton barge with 300hp and it felt perfectly fine, quick even.
-Turbos: I think the big N/A V6 is the most charming part of the Z. Probably becoming increasingly untenable though.
-Big increase in cost

I hope Nissan keeps the Z as a very attainable and straight forward sports car. I don't even think it needs more power (its plenty fast as is), just sweeten up that powertrain a bit, update the styling inside and out, and put it on sale. I'd be interested.

I have no issue with the Q60 platform. Mid-front engine with double wishbones at all four corners - that's a good place to start. The 370z, is IMO still a great machine. It's absolutely dated, but its also in a class of its own - a no-nonsense analogue sports car with great fundamentals and a very effective (if not so sweet) powertrain. The interior looks straight out of 2009, but the ergonomics and controls are excellent. Even being 10 years old, the design of the 370z has held up, though I've never warmed up to the over-endowed rear flanks. Its a good looking car.

I hope a new Z doesn't change the formula too much. Things that need improvement:
-Interior: goes without saying. The current car's design and layout are pretty good, but some things that were questionable even in 2009, like the stupid ugly LED fuel indicator, are laughable in 2019.
-Refinement: The 370z feels agricultural. Not saying it needs to be a princess, but just clean up the rough edges. Nissan spent a lot of time getting the 350z to sound just the way they wanted it to. I never liked that sound too much, but I don't feel like they even tried with the 370z. It sounds just bad as delivered.

What it doesn't need:
-Tons of tech: Maybe save the hybrid awd shenanigans for the GT-R...though I wouldn't mind an unobtrusive and lightweight mild hybrid setup.
-Tons of power: ~350 is enough, innit? I spent the last few days driving around in a 2-ton barge with 300hp and it felt perfectly fine, quick even.
-Turbos: I think the big N/A V6 is the most charming part of the Z. Probably becoming increasingly untenable though.
-Big increase in cost

I hope Nissan keeps the Z as a very attainable and straight forward sports car. I don't even think it needs more power (its plenty fast as is), just sweeten up that powertrain a bit, update the styling inside and out, and put it on sale. I'd be interested.
While I agree with the majority of what you say, I fear that if the upcoming Z sticks to its roots too much and does not progress enough, it will ultimately fail. My biggest fear with the new Z is that it will look dated from the day that it's revealed. Sure, the outgoing Z is undoubtedly handsome, but one thing it isn't is fresh. The Z, as a whole, needs to modernize as much as possible if it wants to be competitive.

And it's rather disappointing that it's going to be based on the Infiniti Q60. The platform is almost seven years old now, making it sort of dated. That being said, with Nissan's current financial state, it's not surprising that the new Z won't have it's own unique platform.
New car on old chassis or no car at all unfortunately. Same deal with the new Frontier.

New car on old chassis or no car at all unfortunately. Same deal with the new Frontier.
Yep. I knew I let my hopes up too high.

Though in a utopian world, maybe the Z would be based on the new Alpine A110? Of course, such a thing could never happen.

I'd just leave it as Nissan Z. Same as Nissan GT-R. I know the Z number lineage always goes with the displacement. Not like we need to know the GT-R is a 3800GT-R, like the old 2000GT-R. However, Fairlady has combined with the Z as well. I'd leave the numbers out moving forward. There is only one Z. Besides, the side emblems only have Z on it anyway.

Not like we need to know the GT-R is a 3800GT-R, like the old 2000GT-R. I really didn't like 350 & 370 names. 400Z sounds heavy to me. We'll see.

Why would they break from tradition and not name it after the liter displacement? it seems stupid move to make
Chances are, whatever engine the upcoming Z will not be any bigger than 3.7L. It would sound like a downgrade if the next Z was called "200Z", even if it was powered by a 2.0 turbo four making more power than the outgoing 370Z. From a marketing standpoint, 400Z sounds better.

Last edited:
I'm quite doubtful that Nissan will have the new Z fully revealed by 2021. Wishful thinking, though.

Honestly... I think a big chunk of the reason the Z has stagnated and we haven't seen a new generation in 11 years is not only because of laziness on Nissan's part, but also because no one has any clue what to make of it. Should it be a direct competitor the Supra? Should it go back to the basics and aim for the BreezeFrees? Should it be an all out track monster not far off from the GT-R? Should it stay RWD or have AWD? I4 or V6? Make it electric? Keep it NA or turbocharge it? It seems no one can come to a consensus of what it should be.

Personally, I think it should directly compete with the Supra. Call it the 400Z, keep it RWD and give it two engine options: a smaller turbocharged I4 and an NA V6 (the latter being more powerful), offer a NISMO performance package. Power should be in the 300-400hp range. It could have an edge over the Supra by being a 2+2 coupe, a starting price in the low $40k area, and of course, a manual option.

...kinda asking for too much there.

...kinda asking for too much there.
Yeah well, I thought it sounded reasonable enough, especially compared to what I've heard others wanting the next Z to be, such as an electric high-performance car with AWD. Now that sounds much less reasonable. Plus, if Nissan actually wants the new Z to be competitive, they need to step up their game quite a lot. Something that is simply evolutionary of the 370Z will not suffice.

I just hope its less bulbous looking than the current Z. That's my biggest complaint...the hard dimensions and weight are actually just about right for the Z, but damn does it look puffy. The 3 liter turbo six seems like a good fit. I like the idea of a 300-350hp base model and a ~500hp Nismo variant. It better have a manual though.

@R1600Turbo works for Nissan (at their test facility IIRC), I think he has a decent idea of what they are and are not doing.

I hope so but given recent events and their financials their stock in the ******* issues with the Renault alliance.

You think a low volume low margin sports car will be any priority ?

I hope so but given recent events and their financials their stock in the ******* issues with the Renault alliance.

You think a low volume low margin sports car will be any priority ?
We have competitor vehicles for benchmark testing and there is a drivetrain mule on site. It's happening.

Back