2023 Nissan Z - 400hp, 6MT/9AT, $40k USD

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 703 comments
Well, well, well. Now that we know that Zee is an old English dialect form and Zed is the correct English pronunciation deriving from the Greek language. Because this is a thread about the (official) presentation of Nissan Z, the correct and official pronunciation is therefore Nissan Zed.

Zed is the pronunciation of the letter Z in Commonwealth English ("zee" in American English).

In most English-speaking countries, including Australia, Canada, India, Ireland, New Zealand and the United Kingdom, the letter's name is zed /zɛd/, reflecting its derivation from the Greek zeta (this dates to Latin, which borrowed X, Y, and Z from Greek, along with their names), but in American English its name is zee /ziː/, analogous to the names for B, C, D, etc., and deriving from a late 17th-century English dialectal form.

This new Nissan Z is starting to grow on me. But it doesn't matter that it is not coming to Europe because I'd never buy one in the first place.
The Nissan Z looks like a grown-up Toyota GR 86.

source.gif

Pizza - SUH!
Lasagne - ZANYA - ZA!

I waz too buzy enjoying the Domino's Pizza I'd just ordered to think about what I wrote... but it was the apostrophe S I waz thinking of, which of course, izn't plural... d'oh, anywyay.

Freedom!

Last edited:
Well, well, well. Now that we know that Zee is an old English dialect form and Zed is the correct English pronunciation deriving from the Greek language. Because this is a thread about the (official) presentation of Nissan Z, the correct and official pronunciation is therefore Nissan Zed.

What about in places that don't speak old English?

After watching some BMI, it appears that the Japanese pronounce Z (at least when used for the Nissan Z) as ZEH-TO . I believe this is Hepburn romanization of a "foreign" loan word...but I'm not sure. The Z has always been designed for the American market primarily, IIRC. Not sure where that leaves us.

While we're on the subject, I believe the British (or at least the Clarkson crew) pronounce Nissan incorrectly. If I recall, they called it Ni-sin, instead of Nee-saan. At least in terms of the pronunciation of the letters, the American pronunciation of Nee-saan lines up better with the Japanese pronunciation. The US intonation doesn't line up perfectly with what is apparently the typical Japanese intonation, but that's being picky.

The British mispronouncing Nissan reminds me a bit of the way we pronounce Coriolis in English. It's not the Coriolisssss effect, that's a french name, it's Corioleeee.

Edit:

Apparently in Japanese, Mazda is 3 syllables.

Last edited:
Matsuda. That's how we would spell the sound anyway. Weirdly, the stylized z in Mazda represents a German-style "ts" sound so I wonder if that's where they got the use of the letter z from. There are rarely ever two consonant sounds next to each other in Japanese.

As for Nissin, Nissin is literally a different company than Nissan.

After watching some BMI, it appears that the Japanese pronounce Z (at least when used for the Nissan Z) as ZEH-TO . I believe this is Hepburn romanization of a "foreign" loan word...but I'm not sure. The Z has always been designed for the American market primarily, IIRC. Not sure where that leaves us.
Zeta?

Last edited:
While we're on the subject, I believe the British (or at least the Clarkson crew) pronounce Nissan incorrectly. If I recall, they called it Ni-sin, instead of Nee-saan. At least in terms of the pronunciation of the letters, the American pronunciation of Nee-saan lines up better with the Japanese pronunciation. The US intonation doesn't line up perfectly with what is apparently the typical Japanese intonation, but that's being picky.

The British mispronouncing Nissan reminds me a bit of the way we pronounce Coriolis in English. It's not the Coriolisssss effect, that's a french name, it's Corioleeee.

Edit:

I believe that is because the name of the founder (Matsuda) is retained in Japanese whereas it's changed for export. The rest of the Japanese OEMs sound largely similar to American english.

Last edited:
I believe that is because the name of the founder (Matsuda) is retained in Japanese whereas it's changed for export. The rest of the Japanese OEMs sound largely similar to American english.

Interesting, it looks like the name was legitimately changed to a different word to become Mazda.

https://sunshinecoastmazda.com.au/page-a_story_behind_the_name_mazda/
'Mazda' comes from Ahura Mazda, the god of harmony, intelligence and wisdom from the earliest civilization in West Asia. Key members of Toyo Kogyo interpreted Mazda as a symbol of the beginning of the East and the West civilization, but also a symbol of the automotive civilization and culture. Striving to make a contribution to the world peace and to be a light in the automotive industry, Toyo Kogyo was renamed Mazda Motor Corporation. 'Mazda' was also a perfect way to pay respect to the substantial founder, whose family name is pronounced very close to 'Mazda.'

So I'm not entirely sure we're pronouncing that strictly incorrectly.

About all I can add is that it's another "double-consonant" word, indicated by a small tsu character, like Nis-san (making it like "nees-sahn"). "Zetto" in romaji ("zet-toh").

Akuma no zetto = Devil Z.

About all I can add is that it's another "double-consonant" word, indicated by a small tsu character, like Nis-san (making it like "nees-sahn"). "Zetto" in romaji ("zet-toh").

Akuma no zetto = Devil Z.
Yes. A long time ago, I heard a Japanese woman pronounce Mazda, as "Ma-tsu-da".

In Australia, it's pronounced.... You just have to hear it for yourself.:lol:

What about in places that don't speak old English?
What about these places?
Well, as long as you pronounce Zee instead of Zed, you speak an old English dialect form. :P

Edit:

Indeed, I'm with you on that one. We also say Nee-san >> shorter a.

Mmmm, https://www.pronouncekiwi.com/Coriolis Force

We all know what the Americans do with the French language. :D
I.e. New Orleans and Des Moines is completely mispronounced in American English. Also French names in the movie The Three Musketeers. The way Chris O'Donnell pronounces D'Artagnan is :ouch::ouch::banghead::banghead:

French is such a beautiful language.

They also say Nissan ZED.

Naamloos.jpg

Carry on about the Nissan Z. :P

What about these places?
Well, as long as you pronounce Zee instead of Zed, you speak an old English dialect form. :P

I see, I misread your post.

There is no such thing as "correct" English.

There is no such thing as "correct" English.
Of course there is. My English is correct and according to my correct English I declare officially that it is Nissan Z instead of Nissan Z. :cool:

A shrinking European sports cars make and specific regulations on emissions mean that Nissan was unable to build a viable business case for the introduction of the production version of the next generation Z-car in Europe."
BS. It is because of decisions like Nissan that the European sports market is shrinking. If Nissan is unable to build a car conform with the specific emissions regulations, they have bad engineers.
Nissa isn't willing to make compromises. The regulations would probably mean less power and a terrible engine sound, so they found an excuse and said that they weren't able.

Of course there is. My English is correct and according to my correct English I declare officially that it is Nissan Z instead of Nissan Z. :cool:

I'm still thinking Nissan S. Maybe mix it up, Nizzan S.

Nissan = Nissan
Mazda = Matsuda
Daihatsu = Daihatsu and not Daihazu :dopey:

While we're on the subject, I believe the British (or at least the Clarkson crew) pronounce Nissan incorrectly. If I recall, they called it Ni-sin, instead of Nee-saan.
I do find this quite strange. As a British person, I've always pronounced it and heard it pronounced as Nis-sann or Niz-zan, over here in blighty. I don't ever recall people pronouncing it as Ni-sin. Ni-sin, sounds how like the queen would say it.

I don't believe us Brits (or myself) pronounce the name correctly, but i honestly have never heard anyone call it Ni-sin, over here.

Neess-mo or Nizmo?
Funnily enough, I've always (and still do) pronounce it as Niz-mo. I blame it in part from my stupid brain misinterpreting/mistaking the 'S' in the old Nismo logo, for a 'Z' instead.

Although the subject has moved on from the new Z concept, and on to the production model. I have to say the colour they chose for the concept (that pale yellow) looks absolutely awful. And the tire writing makes it look tacky as hell, (could've chose better suiting wheels imo as well).
What i don't really get though, is why some people didn't like that big gaping grill at first. I think that part of the car looks awesome. Still, i can appreciate taste is very much subjective.

Last edited:

That's accurate, except for bikes it's pronounced differently :P

Back