2023 Nissan Z - 400hp, 6MT/9AT, $40k USD

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 703 comments
I love the car. I hope the grill changes though. The simple rectangle is too jarring on that model. They could have put some blinkers on the side of the grill like the S30.

The "Fairlady Z" logo is a nice nod to the originals.

I'm kind of disappointed. It's difficult to judge without seeing it in person, but it looks like the design doesn't really mesh well from all angles. From the teasers, I thought the design would be a bit more athletic, but it looks quite chunky. And what's with the rectangle in the front? That's the best they could do?

The 370Z design was better.

unknown.png

This one with the bumper in the middle of the grill looks so much better. It breaks up the huge mouth and also allows for a place to put the plate. I really hope this is what the production car ends up looking like

I see that nobody has ever informed Nissan that the US-market Z30s were some of the ugliest cars to ever grace planet Earth, specifically because of the grille treatment. In America, Z30s are associated with faded paint, rust, crappy V8 swaps, poor suspension and wheel fitment, and Appalachian dragstrips. In 32 years of life I have not developed one single nice thing to say about American Z30s.

The Japanese Z30 front end was pure beauty and the entire Japanese culture around the car is artful. Perhaps Nissan should go back to the drawing board and study their own culture to discover what is **** and what isn’t.

As someone whose some of one's all-time favorite cars are the Datsun 240Z and 260Z, I actually think this is not bad. Not exciting either, but far from horrid. I'll grade this design with a strong B+. I'd probably like a bit more punchy design up front. You make your strongest impression up front; and if your up-front design is horrid, you're making a poor impression. This design doesn't get even an A- or better for me. I'm still fairly intrigued for this Nissan, as someone not really into Nissan.

Here's how it would look with a colored bumper (Thanks to Ariel Torres on Carscoop):

a75f1845692d6231c1bbe0a81f49417ada10ecd73e590c948e8b043c63b972ea.png

Now, THIS is 100x better... How much could Nissan spend on steel (or Aluminum) just to create that little strip??... -.-

Also...
ps1ect26qen51.png

Last edited:
That front grill is way too squared-off. It clashes with everything else on the car :yuck: but that said, the side profile is excellent, and the retro-modern design of the rear end is just :drool: I really dig it, but I hope that front end gets redesigned.

I love it. I see the potential. Dig the retro themes. I'll get used to the design just like the Supra and every other new car that comes out.

One more thing, Hey, Nissan. Can you stretch the wheelbase of the iDX, drop that V6TT in it and name it Skyline. Thank you. :)

Oh, and Mazda, what the heck, people? Make that RX-VISION happen!

54PimphJ3D98-JI3q3JthkAPl7NLqs-a5VK-5HO3se0.jpg

Some "renders" from Reddit. I absolutely love the white, even with the rectangular grill.

krr09rv1uen51.png

:lol:

I was really iffy on the front but the white really sells it for some reason. Yellow just wasn't a good colour over all. And some angles are still odd.

Really like the car so far, would seriously consider getting one if I was in the market.

I don't like the silver stripe alone the side roof line. It starts in out of nowhere and ends nowhere important. It's just not necessary

I'm liking this over the Supra. As in the overall styling. The rear ducktail styling on the Supra wins. I much prefer the treatment to the rear haunches of the Z.
They've smoothed it out from the overfendered 370Z.

Hope to see a rear spoiler option on the new car.
images (53).jpeg

unknown.png

This one with the bumper in the middle of the grill looks so much better. It breaks up the huge mouth and also allows for a place to put the plate. I really hope this is what the production car ends up looking like
They should have gone with this one. It looks like the S30 even more with that middle bumper.

What I also like, the car doesn't look expensive. Looks attainable. Looks fun.

To me, the interior is fine. Don't think I'd get tired of it. The traditional dials on the top would keep me interested. It's working for me. Well done, overall, to Nissan.

Yeah they should have went full 240z retro... I have no issue with the car overall style wise except for the nose headlights front grille treatment.

People say it apes the new Vantage which isnt a good thing as that car is now a little anonymous too.

ALSO... and here's a big one. I applaud Nissan for going it alone and making their own homebrew completely Japanese two door sports car when other manufacturers take the platform and motors from a German company to make theirs.

So Nissan spent billions making this so I guess they'll run this for like a decade to amortise costs.

Be that as it may, it will sort of end up like the Supra here at least. A pretty rare car since it'll be I'm guessing $40k usd? So out of reach of most people in that people will happily buy a Toyota Highlander for $40k but not a two seat liftback for the same money...

I used to drive 2+2 sports cars, some with a boot/trunk and some 4 door sedans/saloons but medium to full size crossovers seem to be what people can afford but not a sports car for the same money.

This is why I'm a fan of Nissan... they put their money where their mouth is and they DO.

They dont make excuses about how they have to platform share with Subaru or BMW.

Will they make money???? Well that's another story!

I would love to support Nissan by buying their next new SUV since mine is like 6-7 yrs old but they are so goddamn boring.

Hopefully, the price point is good enough to undercut the Mustang. People that find out the wait for one of those, might cross shop the Z.
Yes, the Mustang is a 2+2 for whatever reasons, insurance costs(?) justify buying a 2-door coupe in SUV land.

The Z might have a shot down here.

I want to like it but I really don't. It looks like a concept from 30 years ago or something. I really don't 'get it'.

If using GT-R as an example, production variant wasn't much different than proto one, and front was changed the most. Hopefully the interior will be changed too.

IMG_20200916_190142.jpg
images (55).jpeg

Should be a good head to head. I gather the Supra's auto will make it the quicker car. Hope the Z is a bit lighter and fun to drive.

Back