2023 Nissan Z - 400hp, 6MT/9AT, $40k USD

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 703 comments
Well been keeping an eye on this car behind the scenes but now the reveal of the Proto Z has happened I very much like! đź‘Ť

Like the heritage aspect to earlier Z models but also the nods towards Aston Martin at the rear.

Hopefully we see this appear in a video game soon! Would be nice to have it to race against it's rival the new Supra which I also like very much.

Looks a little too retro and crossing in to plain old imo. The rear legit looks like it came from the 90's, not a homage to the 90's. The front also looks kind of dated, like early 2000's. Just looks to me like a mess of so many ideas that didn't come together properly.

Some sources, including Autocar, report that it won't be offered in the UK and Europe:

Autocar
In a statement sent to Autocar, Nissan cited a “shrinking European sports car market and specific regulations on emissions” as the reasons why it was “unable to build a viable business case” for the car’s European release.

A real shame as I'm liking the overall design so far other than the front grill being a little too large/empty. Either have a contrasting strip running across the centre of it as on the 240Z or shrink it to something like on the regular 350Z/370Z.

Last edited:
I can see the 432 influence in the shape implied by the headlight and grille and I like it.

50182d53-1970-nissan-fairlady-z-432-3.jpg

I love the car. I hope the grill changes though. The simple rectangle is too jarring on that model. They could have put some blinkers on the side of the grill like the S30.

The "Fairlady Z" logo is a nice nod to the originals.
I definitely like the Fairlady Z logo.

Interesting to reveal the car left hand drive. I think the same was done for the R35 GT-R.

I'm liking it so far, it's clean and simple design wise, with the right amount of retro-futuristic elements. The side profile is it's best angle, though I echo the sentiments on that grille; whilst "retro", it's a bit basic and doesn't flow as nicely with the rest of the front end, bit on the large side too. Either slightly smaller, or a strip across the grille would do wonders to the front end, hopefully changes are made there come production.

Some sources, including Autocar, report that it won't be offered in the UK and Europe:

A real shame as I'm liking the overall design so far other than the front grill being a little too large/empty. Either have a contrasting strip running across the centre of it as on the 240Z or shrink it to something like on the regular 350Z/370Z.

That's a real bummer to be honest, though sadly unsurprising given the saturation of the market with SUV's and CUV's being so popular right now. Otherwise it has all the right ingredients to be an exciting sports car to carry the Z nameplate. Will be interesting to see how it's priced relative to it's potential competitors.

Last edited:
There will be a plethora of aftermarket front bars... dare I say that the OEM one is deliberately terrible so that they can sell a nicer Nismo R and S spec bar + all the licensed HKS, Trust and all the rest coming. Expect horrible rear wings and skirts and such and a starring role in the next Fast 9???

I assume they are going with 4.0 v6 direct injected update of the old 3.7 unit? expect supercharger kits!

I suppose somewhere down the line they can also add a small turbo 1.6 or 2.0 of the QR20DE or whatever they have?

I so wish they made a 2+2 model like the 300zx... and perhaps even a targa top?

Bought some Nissan stock this morning anticipating a warm reception. So far I'm inclined to believe that individual car reveals don't really influence stock price all that much but I enjoy testing the theory.

If it did, it wasn't positive.

If they released a Leaf SUV w/ say 300 mile range then yeah, the stock would move..

A two seat sport coupe not sold in half of the world market? lol

Also lets be honest, Nissan Renault hasnt been a good performing company for like... ever?

I assume they are going with 4.0 v6 direct injected update of the old 3.7 unit? expect supercharger kits!

I suppose somewhere down the line they can also add a small turbo 1.6 or 2.0 of the QR20DE or whatever they have?

It's a twin turbo, so i'd say supercharger kits are unlikely.

Given Nissan's financial issues and the fact that it doesn't look like it will make it into some big markets, i can't see Nissan doing anything else with it other than a warmed over Nismo version somewhere down the line.

It's a twin turbo, so i'd say supercharger kits are unlikely.

Given Nissan's financial issues and the fact that it doesn't look like it will make it into some big markets, i can't see Nissan doing anything else with it other than a warmed over Nismo version somewhere down the line.
After the Nismo version will be the Heritage version

There will be a plethora of aftermarket front bars... dare I say that the OEM one is deliberately terrible so that they can sell a nicer Nismo R and S spec bar + all the licensed HKS, Trust and all the rest coming. Expect horrible rear wings and skirts and such and a starring role in the next Fast 9???

3.0 TT from the Q50/60.

All this talk about the grill but I'm surprised nobody's really pointing out how awkward the side view of this thing is.

I love the car. I hope the grill changes though. The simple rectangle is too jarring on that model. They could have put some blinkers on the side of the grill like the S30.

The "Fairlady Z" logo is a nice nod to the originals.
I definitely like the Fairlady Z logo.

Interesting to reveal the car left hand drive. I think the same was done for the R35 GT-R.

The issue with the front bumper isn’t so much the gaping maw as it is the fact it’s practically vertical like some cheap early 00s knockoff Bomex kit. I can tell they were going for a front air dam reminiscent of a popular one for the S30, but the increased height shows how vertical it is.
39571BCF-4341-4D79-AE4E-95F6463CF500.jpeg

It should’ve nipped in towards the front wheels more, to give it more of an arrow-like front clip. Something like the 240ZG to go with the angled headlamps would’ve looked much better.
26344EC3-7E04-4B99-A9F3-997B1FAD59E7.jpeg

The issue with the front bumper isn’t so much the gaping maw as it is the fact it’s practically vertical like some cheap early 00s knockoff Bomex kit. I can tell they were going for a front air dam reminiscent of a popular one for the S30, but the increased height shows how vertical it is.
View attachment 958349
It should’ve nipped in towards the front wheels more, to give it more of an arrow-like front clip. Something like the 240ZG to go with the angled headlamps would’ve looked much better.
View attachment 958347

Unfortunately knee-capping people with your front fascia is frowned upon these days.

Unfortunately knee-capping people with your front fascia is frowned upon these days.
I meant changing the front bumper from the bottom of the headlamps down, the upper... ridge, where the first point of contact with a pedestrian would be, that’s fine. The issue is entirely the area underneath the headlamps.

The ZG is different front clip though. That's something that could be an accessory or different model like what Nismo did for the 370Z and 350Z.
images (57).jpeg
images (56).jpeg

Back