2023 Nissan Z - 400hp, 6MT/9AT, $40k USD

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 703 comments
The issue with the front bumper isn’t so much the gaping maw as it is the fact it’s practically vertical like some cheap early 00s knockoff Bomex kit. I can tell they were going for a front air dam reminiscent of a popular one for the S30, but the increased height shows how vertical it is.
View attachment 958349
It should’ve nipped in towards the front wheels more, to give it more of an arrow-like front clip. Something like the 240ZG to go with the angled headlamps would’ve looked much better.
View attachment 958347
That Devil Z though :drool::drool:

Sounds like they aren't going to bother selling it in Europe. That's a shame.
EU emissions and economy regs have gotten so draconian that unless it gets 50+ mpg and pollutes less than a mole fart, it’ll be taxed and fined into oblivion. Multiple EU countries have stated they intend to ban the sale ICE vehicles by 2035. The Z35 is the first in what will be a mass exodus of vehicle manufacturers from the continent over the next 15-20 years.

I gotta be honest, i'm surprised so many of you like it. It looks weak, the rear end is barely salvageable, but that front end, oh god.

EU emissions and economy regs have gotten so draconian that unless it gets 50+ mpg and pollutes less than a mole fart, it’ll be taxed and fined into oblivion. Multiple EU countries have stated they intend to ban the sale ICE vehicles by 2035. The Z35 is the first in what will be a mass exodus of vehicle manufacturers from the continent over the next 15-20 years.

You'd be foolish to think that regulators and manufacturers on other continents won't follow suit sooner or later. Global manufacturers can't afford to ignore 25% of the market.

I gotta be honest, i'm surprised so many of you like it. It looks weak, the rear end is barely salvageable, but that front end, oh god.
It's not the greatest design, but as I mentioned, I see the potential.

Picture an AE86. Who in their right mind, is taking that car home to see their Mama? However, it's like a miniature Celica/Supra. The car had and does have potential.

It's all about the aftermarket. How to personalise one's ride. Someone, maybe NISMO, will make a new nose. A bar across the front, paint the whole grill. Then, race versions. That's what I'm seeing. :)

If the thing is fun to drive, chalk up another used sports car on the list. We all win!

Love the 300ZX tribute taillights. Side profile is okay. Front grille needs something to break up the vast blackness. Either a body coloured metal strip, or a slant nose attachment like the 240ZG. I'm sure the aftermarket will fix that in a jiffy. I didn't like the 370Z when it first came out, and this one has a much better first impression already. Also a much cleaner design than the Supra so it will age a lot better too.

Shame the RX Vision isn't making production. That blows everything from Toyota/Nissan/Honda design wise.

There are people saying the taillights is a nod to the S14. I honestly don't see it at all. Especially since Nissan themselves saying it's a nod to 300ZX.

There are people saying the taillights is a nod to the S14. I honestly don't see it at all. Especially since Nissan themselves saying it's a nod to 300ZX.

Now that you mention it, I can sorta see it.

Which reminds me, we are sorely overdue for an S16 :P

^ 86/BRZ serves the purpose of a modern S-chassis well enough, imo. I can't see Nissan having another sports car with how manufacturers structure their lineups these days.

I do see more S14 than Z32 in the overall shape of that rear black/light strip.

Needs to be a rung higher up and in silver IMO.

View attachment 958204

Has me wondering what it would look like if some LED 'fog' lights were installed next to the silver strip, shaped to look like said strip extended a bit out into the body of the bumper.

Not a fan of the car, though. If I were to buy a Z, the Z33 is still my choice even with the awful interior. Z32's up there as well.

Last edited:
^ 86/BRZ serves the purpose of a modern S-chassis well enough, imo. I can't see Nissan having another sports car with how manufacturers structure their lineups these days.

I do see more S14 than Z32 in the overall shape of that rear black/light strip.

Has me wondering what it would look like if some LED 'fog' lights were installed next to the silver strip, shaped to look like said strip extended a bit out into the body of the bumper.

Not a fan of the car, though. If I were to buy a Z, the Z33 is still my choice even with the awful interior. Z32's up there as well.
The Toyobaru isn’t a Nissan, though. And it’s a modern interpretation of the daruma Celica of the 70s. (Still pissed they didn’t call it the Celica).

Nissan DOES have the space for a new Silvia. The GTR is their halo sports car with 600-ish bhp and a £100k price tag, the new Fairlady will be their middle-range sports car with 400bhp and a £45k price tag. There’s room for a £25-30k 300bhp turbo 4 cylinder sports car designed to do battle in the same market as the GT86 and Miata. Really could just take the Z’s platform and give it different styling and the 4 cylinder engine and call it a day.

Nissan would do well to keep the cost of the next Z well underneath that of the Supra like the 370 already is rather than pumping it up in price just so they can arbitrarily sell another car below that that would be a quarter ton too heavy to actually compete with the BreesFreez and the Miata and would just steal sales from the more expensive car instead. They want a 300HP version to make an entry level Mustang fighter they can just use the 300HP version of the engine that will already likely be what's in the production version of this concept.

Last edited:
Some photos not from Nissan themselves

z_proto_dino_dalle_carbonare_01.jpg

z_proto_dino_dalle_carbonare_03.jpg

z_proto_dino_dalle_carbonare_06.jpg

z_proto_dino_dalle_carbonare_10.jpg

z_proto_dino_dalle_carbonare_02.jpg

z_proto_dino_dalle_carbonare_11.jpg

z_proto_dino_dalle_carbonare_09.jpg

http://www.speedhunters.com/2020/09/why-the-z-proto-is-the-most-important-car-of-2020/

I have no idea what to think of this new car. Actually it doesn't matter because, as mentioned above, it is not going to be sold in Europe. Is this 100% certain?

After the completely over-wrought Supra, and the ongoing industry wide compulsion to overdesign every exterior surface, this thing looks great- instantly recognizable, and simple. It'll still be too heavy, complex, and expensive, though.

After the completely over-wrought Supra, and the ongoing industry wide compulsion to overdesign every exterior surface, this thing looks great- instantly recognizable, and simple. It'll still be too heavy, complex, and expensive, though.

The only bad bits are the front grille (which is fixable), I think the headlights are a bit yuck but fair enough... the 370z c-pillar is what it is and the rear tail lights ape the 300zx and 240z badly.

Saying that.... in our reality this car is 'close enough'... I mean here is a 400hp rwd twin turbo V6 with a manual gearbox... and it will be relevant for the next 10yrs.

This is a rare thing. Sure it'll be expensive here.. I suspect $60-$75k aud which is $40-$50k usd but what did you expect? They have a USP (unique selling proposition) and NIssan deserve to get what they ask for a wholy Nissan designed sport coupe.

I think Nissan as a whole will call it a day as far as fast sport coupes go.

Talk is the GTR will be discontinued and put on ice for few years until they can work out what they want to do with the R36. Undoubtely with the 2035 ICE car going extinct they will move to and EV R36.

THe Silvia is dead. There's no way they are going to make a cheap 2 litre four cyl turbo coupe. Nissan cant do this, S15, R34, Z32/33/34 thing like its 20 yrs ago. Nissan cant support 3 x sport coupes.

Sure 6 x SUVs is no problem!

And I think this car will be a rare thing on most roads, ie. US CAN AU NZ etc.

I rarely see A90s. People love the 86 because its cheap and theres always rich folks with 911s and BMW M3s etc etc but it seems not that many want to commit to a relatively expensive Japanese coupe.

Speaking of 911s, saw a black 993 Carrera while I was doing the school run. Young dude driving it with personal plates. No doubt a bargain against new sports cars here.

I also wanted to point out that the 350 370z was always a $60-$70k proposition here with sometimes cheaper last years stock falling into the $55s new but really... how many Z's were Nissan selling this late in the piece.

Back