2022 Repco Supercars ChampionshipTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 724 comments
For a while I've rooted for Cam Waters to fdo well at Bathurst...

...and every year I just...erode a little.

Kinda like Cam's tires!

Last edited:
Just thought I'd mention that as a Ford fan I'm a bit disappointed with Tickford (except Cam) and I think Moff and Edwards were out of order with their comments on Brodie.

At the time I thought it was 50-50 but leant towards it being a good move by Brodie that took Moff by surprise but after reviewing it, it wasn't even close to 50-50. The only thing that could even be considered the slightest bit Brodie's fault was not knowing who he was racing.

Exhibit A :sly::

Speedcafe's pictures are irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. The image below is far more conclusive. It's slightly after the turn in point but it shows Brodie is clearly well in the giant sized hole Moff left him.

Untitled1.png

Unfortunate for Cam though as I think he was in with a real shot if they weren't on the back foot for the rest of the day.

Sidenote: Top interview from SVG on 9 this morning. :lol: (I know how he feels :guilty::ill:)

Edit 2: The interview: SVG- ''I was here, thank you (waving goodbye)''.

Last edited:
Maybe it's just me. I feel a rule, the rule should be main game drivers must start the race. Fans watch to see the outcome and we've had great out comes ever race. However, fans still want to see great starts.
If what happened at this start, were with all main game drivers, we could rule out any inexperience factors. Plus, we'd still get main game drivers going for it or takinmore care etc.
I know it is what it is. The weather played it's part. The mountain delivered. Just something I'd, personally, like to see changed.

Maybe it's just me. I feel a rule, the rule should be main game drivers must start the race. Fans watch to see the outcome and we've had great out comes ever race. However, fans still want to see great starts.
If what happened at this start, were with all main game drivers, we could rule out any inexperience factors. Plus, we'd still get main game drivers going for it or takinmore care etc.
I know it is what it is. The weather played it's part. The mountain delivered. Just something I'd, personally, like to see changed.
Would that really help though? While he was a co-driver, Jamie Whincup, one of the most experienced guys in the field, was as much to blame as anyone in the lap 1 incident by running up the right side of the track in the water, the water that everyone had specifically been warned to avoid by race control, losing control and fishtailing into other cars compounding their issues.

I know you're not talking about this incident specifically but I think it's more to do with things like the Brodie/Moff incident that are where the trouble is. Putting an A-grade move on a B-grade driver is a lot of the problem for my money. I doubt Cam Waters would've turned in on BK... just like BK didn't turn in on Cam late in the race.

Would that really help though? While he was a co-driver, Jamie Whincup, one of the most experienced guys in the field, was as much to blame as anyone in the lap 1 incident by running up the right side of the track in the water, the water that everyone had specifically been warned to avoid by race control, losing control and fishtailing into other cars compounding their issues.

I know you're not talking about this incident specifically but I think it's more to do with things like the Brodie/Moff incident that are where the trouble is. Putting an A-grade move on a B-grade driver is a lot of the problem for my money. I doubt Cam Waters would've turned in on BK... just like BK didn't turn in on Cam late in the race.
We can see drivers like Courtney and Heimgartner don't even get to steer. their own car. So, not just the standing water incident, but the start of the any Bathurst race. Of course, if it's a rookie entry or wildcard, depending on drivers, may not be able to avoid it. I just feel we'd get more entertainment and less woe with all main game drivers starting first. They set the tone and hand it over or do another stint or whatever.

Again, no slight on any co-driver. I'm speaking on seeing the main drivers have at it with each other, in the opening stint.

We can see drivers like Courtney and Heimgartner don't even get to steer. their own car. So, not just the standing water incident, but the start of the any Bathurst race. Of course, if it's a rookie entry or wildcard, depending on drivers, may not be able to avoid it. I just feel we'd get more entertainment and less woe with all main game drivers starting first. They set the tone and hand it over or do another stint or whatever.

Again, no slight on any co-driver. I'm speaking on seeing the main drivers have at it with each other, in the opening stint.
I understand your thinking but I just think it's something that should be left to the teams. Some didn't feel comfortable starting their co-driver yesterday and that's fine, but the best option to win the race has always been to get your co-driver laps out the way early or you risk them having to do a stint late in the race. It's especially dicey if you get caught out with a safety car at the wrong time. Risk versus reward has to be a part of the race strategy IMHO.

FWIW, Thomas Randle didn't get to steer his own car in a race at The Bend and I don't think Heimgartner did much either (maybe a slight jink to the right), and there wasn't a co-driver there! ;):sly:

The image below is far more conclusive. It's slightly after the turn in point but it shows Brodie is clearly well in the giant sized hole Moff left him.
Think I was too busy making a snarky tweet after Moffat spun to see any replays of it at the time. :lol: Definitely don't see any issue with anything Brodie did based on that image. Looked like Moffat left the door wide open.

This is the worst season of V8 Supercars I've ever seen. Where's the competition? Where's the chaos? Where's the unpredictability? I shouldn't be able to predict the winner soo easily in a series that constantly bangs on about "parity". It's crap. Why the ZB and the Mustang was even allowed to be built is a mystery to me, because it clearly wasn't done in the interest of entertainment. I wasted 7 hours of my day yesterday watching Shane Van Gisbergen win... AGAIN. Bathurst is supposed to be unpredictable and throw up a surprise but this year's edition didn't do that, which is hugely disappointing considering how the season has gone. At about the half way point in the race I knew that car #97 would win because nobody was fast enough or competitive enough to come close. I wanted to see a proper fight for the lead but we didn't get that this time. I hope the new cars make things more interesting because I've had enough of this pathetic season.

Last edited:
This is the worst season of V8 Supercars I've ever seen. Where's the competition? Where's the chaos? Where's the unpredictability? I shouldn't be able to predict the winner soo easily in a series that constantly bangs on about "parity". It's crap. Why the ZB and the Mustang was even allowed to be built is a mystery to me, because it clearly wasn't done in the interest of entertainment. I wasted 7 hours of my day yesterday watching Shane Van Gisbergen win... AGAIN. Bathurst is supposed to be unpredictable and throw up a surprise but this year's edition didn't do that, which is hugely disappointing considering how the season has gone. At about the half way point in the race I knew that car #97 would win because nobody was fast enough or competitive enough to come close. I wanted to see a proper fight for the lead but we didn't get that this time. I hope the new cars make things more interesting because I've had enough of this pathetic season.
Well I disagree with parity part. When look at qualifying this year, the Mustangs of Waters and the Shell cars have dominated, while Shane has a few less compared to them. He's started most of the races started outside first two rows. Yes it has been boring knowing how easily he's done it but it also shows he bloody good he and the team are of always making the most of there opportunities.

Yes we shouldn't have gotten to this point with the cars and hopefully with Gen3 the competition will be stronger for it.

It left Ingall wondering if a change in regulation is needed.

“Zane is a kid that at least gave Europe a swing, and was very successful in F4 both in Britain and Europe and took a lot more chances than many others in the sport,” he wrote, in part, on his Facebook page.

“So maybe we should be looking a bit more on what the solutions could be if we are only going to have one endurance race a year.

“Perhaps change the format that both main game drivers can pair together, or maybe a better solution is that the main nominated driver must start the race – particularly in track conditions like Sunday.”
That point noted, the Lap 1 mess on Mountain Straight appeared to be set off by some far more experienced co-drivers losing control, although stewards would find none wholly or predominantly to blame and track conditions were shocking.

The third Safety Car period was caused by an off for a somewhat inexperienced full-timer in Jake Kostecki and the fourth by Will Davison’s co-driver Alex Davison crashing at The Chase in similar fashion in his 18th Bathurst 1000.

The fifth can be attributed to Tim Blanchard given he ended up in the wall at Forrest’s Elbow after, stewards decided, he failed to leave racing room for Nick Percat, and the sixth to full-timer Macauley Jones getting beached at pit entry.

Only two more Safety Cars were triggered in the latter 104 laps, both due to primary driver crashes, namely those of Todd Hazelwood and Will Davison.

Anyway, is Gold Coast a two-driver enduro?

I hope this pans out!

Hopefully so. Would love to see Gold Coast return to being an enduro as well. Think the opening laps of the 1000 showed that only having one endurance race, maybe isn't the greatest idea.

Yeah hopefully they'll be at least two enduros next year with and Sandown and Bathurst. I'm going to the event in Surfers, it'll be weird for it not to be an enduro. After all the enduro saved the event from disappearing after Champcar cease to exist and that Indycar didn't want to comeback. But still I'm glad it's back.

Think the opening laps of the 1000 showed that only having one endurance race, maybe isn't the greatest idea.
👍

As we all know, Sandown was always used as a warm up for Bathurst so the young guys could get there eye in. It needs to return as a lead up enduro.

Garth agrees and I think it's a fair assessment. The gap in experience is huge in some cases... but that didn't stop JW being a bonehead and driving up Mountain Straight through the water. :sly:

Oh dang. Very weak.
Not really much of a difference now to what it was. The Gold Coast ‘endurance’ races were only 50kms longer than what they’ll be this year, and in the past, the second that the co drivers completed their compulsory 30 or so laps, the teams chucked them out and put the main drivers in. In a way, this years format will be more of an endurance than what they ran previously, as the drivers will be spending more time in the car, even though it’s a 50km shorter race.

The single 500km race that they had planned in 2020 before Covid would’ve been ideal though. 160-170 laps around the Gold Coast circuit would’ve been incredibly taxing.

At the risk of cars looking (even more) cluttered, I am so behind this. Always hated the yellow window stickers.

The gap in experience is huge in some cases... but that didn't stop JW being a bonehead and driving up Mountain Straight through the water. :sly:
:lol:

Not really much of a difference now to what it was. The Gold Coast ‘endurance’ races were only 50kms longer than what they’ll be this year, and in the past, the second that the co drivers completed their compulsory 30 or so laps, the teams chucked them out and put the main drivers in. In a way, this years format will be more of an endurance than what they ran previously, as the drivers will be spending more time in the car, even though it’s a 50km shorter race.

The single 500km race that they had planned in 2020 before Covid would’ve been ideal though. 160-170 laps around the Gold Coast circuit would’ve been incredibly taxing.
That’s true. I disliked that window of seeing the co-driver doing what, 70% of the race because of the short lap times and safety cars?

I thought this would be on the cards with Adderton leaving Erebus as a sponsor and RS's strong performance at Bathurst and I honestly think it wouldn't be too bad of a thing, especially because it will even up the pit numbers (Blanchard's to be the technical partner for PA would work maybe???), but jeez Adderton says some dumb stuff.

"I honestly think that the teams are afraid. I think the teams actually like the rental model. I think most of the teams don’t want to race us.''

I don't think so Peter :lol:

I'd speculate that it's not because they're scared/afraid to race him, it's because he come across as a loose cannon.

Edited to fix the link :embarrassed:

Last edited:
Back