Volvo EV General Discussion

United States
Elizabeth, New Jersey, USA
Volvo's latest fully-electric car, the coupe-CUV C40, has been unveiled. Power comes from a twin-motor setup, on on the front and one on the rear axle, producing a combined 402 HP and 487 lb-ft (660 Nm) of torque. Combined with a 78 kWh battery pack, the new Volvo C40 Recharge is estimated to offer around 261 miles (420 km) of driving range on the WLTP test cycle.

upload_2021-3-2_12-45-55.png

upload_2021-3-2_12-46-0.png

upload_2021-3-2_12-46-5.png

Might look nice in the metal, but nope.
Nose reminds me of the the Mustang Mach E Mach Mustang. Not digging the profile.

I guess the interior will be nice. I'd prefer one of those V wagons.

So I'm guessing this is a coupe of the XC40?

I don't get it... They should have transplanted the V60 design into a new V40. I think Volvo missed the boat on that one.

It's a sad indication of the current situation in the automotive world when the C-for-Coupe, originally used for the sleek C70, now means... that.

It's a sad indication of the current situation in the automotive world when the C-for-Coupe, originally used for the sleek C70, now means... that.
It is but...this is a better car in every way. People want room for other people, room for cargo, year-round AWD capability, and they're tired of not being able to see over the bushes at the end of a driveway while trying to turn. So we end up with this which is not what enthusiasts want but is overall a better car in every way than any coupe that's ever been invented.

Manufacturers are just going back to the days of body on frame ride heights and ease of egress. That's all.

Many of these EVs are SUV-like cars. I don't like it. I hope it will not become a trend. Luckily there are still Sedan, station wagons.

It is but...this is a better car in every way. People want room for other people, room for cargo, year-round AWD capability, and they're tired of not being able to see over the bushes at the end of a driveway while trying to turn. So we end up with this which is not what enthusiasts want but is overall a better car in every way than any coupe that's ever been invented.
Well... If you're interested in those things you really aren't interested in a Coupé are you?

What you want is a cross-over or a Suv. So buy that and let the coupé remaining a coupé. After all we can always trim the bushes at the end of the drive way. And there's something nice about being able to say "sorry, I don't have room"....

They should have used the existing body of the X40

Last edited:
The only thing I like are the taillights. The front lights have less character than the XC40 and it is the coupe car that I'd expect to have that. I am not into the whole coupe suv thing at all, so good luck to them. Oddly the Polestar 2 seems to be very similar yet looks more like a normal car.

So buy that and let the coupé remaining a coupé.
The problem is that so few people buy coupes that they're not economically viable. They're a total waste of money for the manufacturer. The only coupes on the market that make money are luxury GT cars. Coupes are dead and have been for decades, that's just the reality and people still refuse to accept it. The closest we'll ever get again are four-door "coupe" SUVs because 98% of buyers want useful everybody vehicles and the 2% left over don't spend enough money to make two-door coupes viable.

The problem is that so few people buy coupes that they're not economically viable. They're a total waste of money for the manufacturer. The only coupes on the market that make money are luxury GT cars. Coupes are dead and have been for decades, that's just the reality and people still refuse to accept it. The closest we'll ever get again are four-door "coupe" SUVs because 98% of buyers want useful everybody vehicles and the 2% left over don't spend enough money to make two-door coupes viable.
It's crazy how coupes went from selling roughly as much as sedans to being almost completely nonexistent now. As recent as 25 years ago, GM had a coupe offering alongside almost 100% of their sedans, and every Japanese manufacturer had at least one coupe of some sort, many having 3 or more.

I understand that it's just luxury coupés now. So if people buy csrs for the reasons you list why would they want a declining roofline because that goes directly opposite of the reasons you mentioned.

I just don't get the point, rhey do not look better, they look like half-assed attempts to be something they are not and can not be.

I understand that it's just luxury coupés now. So if people buy csrs for the reasons you list why would they want a declining roofline because that goes directly opposite of the reasons you mentioned.

I just don't get the point, rhey do not look better, they look like half-assed attempts to be something they are not and can not be.

I don't like them either - but i suppose they still retain enough regular SUV practicality for them to still be useful to enough of the buying public. I'd say they are much nearer in concept to being SUV/hatchbacks* then SUV/coupes* but i can't really see Porsche/BMW/Audi/BMW marketing their £60+ vehicles as 'hatchbacks'

*Just imagine how awful would an SUV/sedan/saloon look!

They are half-assed, you're right. But they're half-assed at everything. They're taller with better visibility than a coupe, got more doors than a coupe, AWD with more ground clearance than a coupe, more cargo space than a coupe. Sporty SUVs may be half-assed at everything, but coupes are no-assed at most things. They might look dumb but even you can appreciate that they're useful for almost everything short of carrying an entire refrigerator.

Edit: Plus, that kammback design gets decent gas mileage while being able to carry four adults through 6 inches of snow. The kammback is going to be extremely common for EVs, its just a fact of aerodynamics.

Last edited:
They're taller with better visibility than a coupe, got more doors than a coupe, AWD with more ground clearance than a coupe, more cargo space than a coupe. Sporty SUVs may be half-assed at everything, but coupes are no-assed at most things. They might look dumb but even you can appreciate that they're useful for almost everything short of carrying an entire refrigerator.
At the same time they're no better in anything than the normal non-sporty SUV that can also carry that refrigerator if necessary. Or an old school, no frills station wagon that also handles better due to the lower center of gravity and has better fuel mileage thanks to being noticably lower and somewhat lighter. If someone can't see well enough out of a normal car and needs a SUV for that, I'd question their ability to drive in the first place.

They are half-assed, you're right. But they're half-assed at everything. They're taller with better visibility than a coupe, got more doors than a coupe, AWD with more ground clearance than a coupe, more cargo space than a coupe. Sporty SUVs may be half-assed at everything, but coupes are no-assed at most things. They might look dumb but even you can appreciate that they're useful for almost everything short of carrying an entire refrigerator.

Edit: Plus, that kammback design gets decent gas mileage while being able to carry four adults through 6 inches of snow. The kammback is going to be extremely common for EVs, its just a fact of aerodynamics.
Everything you said can be done just as well by a station wagon.
My point is not that this is a bad, or unpractical vehicle. My point is that it's not a coupé and never will be a coupé so why oretend, especially if no one wants a coupé.
A coupé isn't something you buy because it's practical. It is something you buy because you love the way it looks.

Last edited:
Everything you said can be done just as well by a station wagon.

Presuming I'm understanding the comparison as estate/hatchback correctly the back isn't as aerodynamic? That's a big deal. I think this is a useable hatchback and would have one. I prefer the in-betweeny height to the full blown over-tall models.

At the same time they're no better in anything than the normal non-sporty SUV that can also carry that refrigerator if necessary. Or an old school, no frills station wagon that also handles better due to the lower center of gravity and has better fuel mileage thanks to being noticably lower and somewhat lighter. If someone can't see well enough out of a normal car and needs a SUV for that, I'd question their ability to drive in the first place.
Especially in terms of EVs, traditional SUV and van shapes won't help range very much. They're not aerodynamic enough. Unfortunately, a long, four-door coupe shape is actually the most aerodynamic shape there is so if range is a factor along with cargo space, seating, and ground clearance, then a "coupe" SUV is a decent compromise. For ICE cars this problem of fuel mileage between a traditional SUV and a coupe SUV isn't big but for EVs it matters a lot. And as for wagons, in the US wagons will always be at a disadvantage to larger SUVs and pickup trucks. Handling is of little consequence here as our speed limits are low and our freeways are broad. What is of consequence is being able to see where the hell you're going while you're surrounded by Suburbans and Expeditions. Rover Rovers are mid-size SUVs over here and the rare Bentayga is dwarfed by a common Tahoe. It's true that virtually nobody needs a car that big but the trend is basically a runaway train at this point.

Last edited:
The EX 30, a subcompact, entry-level EV CUV, is set to debut in summer 2023 and will be even smaller than the XC40. It is part of a strategy by Volvo to implore younger buyers to the brand, as Volvo has some of the oldest average customer ages out of any brand.

Volvo EX30 and EX30 Cross Country officially revealed, starting at $34,950, the cheapest Volvo ever I think

1686155520812.png

1686155529600.png

1686155508994.png

1686155560300.png

1686155581061.png

1686155706125.png

1686155713076.png

It will be priced from $34,950 in the US, where it is available for pre-order now, and around 36,000 euros in Europe, with Volvo saying the pricing is similar to an internal combustion engine-powered SUV of the same size.

Speaking of size, the EX30 is 166.6 inches (4,233 millimeters) long, 72.3 in (1,837 mm) wide, and 61.2 in (1,555) mm high, with a wheelbase of 104.3 in (2,650 mm). Volvo says the EX30's chassis has been tuned to make the most of the car's compact dimensions, its low center of gravity and relatively low and evenly distributed weight – its minimum curb weight is 4,034 pounds (1,830 kg).

Inside, the EX30 features a minimalist Scandinavian interior design mixed with cutting-edge tech. The dashboard features a 12.3-inch single-screen infotainment system at its center and a soundbar covering the entire upper portion of the dash under the windshield – a first of its kind in a car.

Under the skin, Volvo offers EX30 customers two powertrain options in the US, dubbed Single Motor Extended Range and Twin Motor Performance. The former pairs a rear-mounted electric motor rated at 268 horsepower (200 kilowatts) and 253 pound-feet (343 Newton-meters) of torque with an extended-range battery with a usable capacity of 64 kilowatt-hours.

The battery has NMC chemistry (lithium, nickel, manganese, and cobalt) and enables the EX30 Single Motor Extended Range to offer an estimated 275 miles of range between charges.

The EX30 Twin Motor Performance adds a front electric motor for AWD capability and a total output of 422 hp (315 kW) and 400 lb-ft (543 Nm) of system torque. That's enough for a 0-60 mph sprint in 3.4 seconds, making the EX30 Twin Motor Performance Volvo's fastest-accelerating production car ever.

This dual-motor model features the same 64-kWh NMC battery and is estimated to offer a range of around 265 miles.

In Europe and other markets, Volvo will also offer an entry-level Single Motor powertrain pairing the same 268-hp rear motor with an LFP battery pack with a usable capacity of 49 kWh and an estimated range of around 200 miles.

When it comes to charging, the NMC battery-powered variants have a DC charging peak power of 153 kW, enabling a 10-80 percent charging cycle in a little over 26.5 minutes. The LFP battery version charges at up to 134 kW, needing 26 minutes to complete the same cycle.

Starting from 2024, the Volvo EX30 will also be available as a Cross Country adventure-focused variant featuring more ground clearance, 19-inch black wheels or 18-inch wheels with bespoke all-terrain tires, skid plates, special black panels on the front bumper and trunk lid, and Cross Country branding. Volvo will start taking orders for the EX30 Cross Country in 2024, with production expected to start later that year.

According to the Autopian, it's a foot shorter than a Civic hatch

At just 166.7 inches long, the Volvo EX30 is just over a foot shorter than a Honda Civic hatchback. However, it’s also surprisingly wide at 72.3 inches (80 inches including the mirrors), and reasonably tall at 61.1 inches. Although it shares a model prefix with the big EX90 electric crossover, think of the EX30 as more of a hatchback, especially since a ruggedized Cross Country version is on its way to take care of the crossover side of things.

1686155802743.png

I actually really like the way this thing looks, especially in cross-country guise.

I know use of black cladding is nothing special given the number of crossovers on the market right now, but there is something very satisfying about how it is applied on the EX30, especially in a bright colour. It makes the car look much smaller than it already is.

I really really want one of these in the highest spec. It would be perfect for carrying my bike, easier for my wife to get in and out of, looks really good (IMO) and being electric means I could charge it at work for free and rarely have to pay anything to run it except for insurance. Even the top end model would work out around the same cost per month as my current car once you factor in fuel costs. I get the feeling these are going to sell fairly well.

Last edited:
This thing would probably be a really good replacement for my 2005 Rav4, probably a bit less cargo space but a much nicer car for sure.

It's a tiny car. Having someone stand next to it gives it better scale.

If it weren't for the touch controls, this would definitely be a car I'd be interested in

It's a tiny car. Having someone stand next to it gives it better scale.

If it weren't for the touch controls, this would definitely be a car I'd be interested in

Wow, it really is tiny. I genuinely think I'd struggle to fit my bike in the back, it only just about fits in my 2 series

Well, this is interesting. The new Volvo EM90- likely China only, based on the Zeekr 009. Never would have thought Volvo of all brands would unveil a minivan.
Honestly, given what Volvo is best known for as a car brand (large family cars), I'm more surprised Volvo took this long to add a minivan to their model range in the first place. Like I could buy that Volvo perhaps didn't have the money to develop a minivan in the 90s or even 80s, and that minivan popularity in the US started to drop off not long after Ford bought the car division, but they still went strong in Europe for a bit. Volvo could've fairly easily made a minivan based on their P2/P3 platform...
In any case, I guess better late (and China-only) than never :D

Latest Posts

Back