2024 Formula 1 Drivers threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 536 comments
Looks like they're giving Fred Vesti a run for the rookie test (and possible future FP1 slots) but yeah you'd think they'd want an experienced option as the proper test/sim driver. Still hard to see how that leads to a future seat for Danny, if Lewis is sticking aroud for a few more years.

Looks like they're giving Fred Vesti a run for the rookie test (and possible future FP1 slots) but yeah you'd think they'd want an experienced option as the proper test/sim driver. Still hard to see how that leads to a future seat for Danny, if Lewis is sticking aroud for a few more years.
If it is happening I doubt RIC thinks it'll lead to a race seat either, but if Merc are willing to pay him a fairly decent amount to become test driver and give him an opportunity to become part of the Mercedes "family" with all the perks I can see why it'd be an attractive move vs doing nothing or leaving F1 entirely.

If it is happening I doubt RIC thinks it'll lead to a race seat either, but if Merc are willing to pay him a fairly decent amount to become test driver and give him an opportunity to become part of the Mercedes "family" with all the perks I can see why it'd be an attractive move vs doing nothing or leaving F1 entirely.
Plus being in the Merc family pretty much makes you a reserve for any Merc powered team. Vandoorne and De Vries were both Mclaren and Williams reserves IIRC. Ricciardo could be an option if Aston Martin do the right thing and get rid of Stroll as well.

Plus being in the Merc family pretty much makes you a reserve for any Merc powered team. Vandoorne and De Vries were both Mclaren and Williams reserves IIRC. Ricciardo could be an option if Aston Martin do the right thing and get rid of Stroll as well.
Danny going back to McLaren as reserve ? AM getting rid of Stroll ?

Animated GIF

Animated GIF
Don't see why McLaren would have a problem running RIC again for one race as a reserve if needed. Stroll ain't getting kicked out by Daddy though, agreed.

I was thinking more of Danny having an issue going back to the team that basically sacked him for an unproven rookie (after giving him a pretty crappy car).

I was thinking more of Danny having an issue going back to the team that basically sacked him for an unproven rookie (after giving him a pretty crappy car).
True, but you know what F1 drivers are like. If you offer them a race when they're not racing, it's hard to say no. Look at Button in 2017, although they had a good breakup when he retired obviously.

Kvyat returned to Toro Rosso 1 race after being unceremoniously dumped for Gasly in 2017 after Sainz moved on and Gasly was then double-booked with Super Formula. It happens. Look at Magnussen at Haas or the Hulkenberg Racing Point cameos.

Animated GIF

Don't see why McLaren would have a problem running RIC again for one race as a reserve if needed. Stroll ain't getting kicked out by Daddy though, agreed.
Stranger things have happened in F1. Plus if it's part of the Mercedes deal then he might not get a choice, it's unlikely but not impossible.

Stroll I don't think is as safe and secure as we think. At some point there has to be a conversation about the team, and Fernando might shove that conversation forward a year or 2. In a cost capped era of F1 and a time where the midfield is getting to be as competitive as it ever has been, at some point Lawrence has to have the conversation with him about his future. Pressure from sponsors, team mates etc will certainly start playing a part if he continues to make stupid errors and not seriously up his game. I do think we're getting to a point where his dad owning the team is immaterial to the situation.

He is the Andrea de Cesaris of his era.
de Cesaris had a habit of staying employed. Hülkenberg, not in terms of talent but in terms of career consistency, seems to be a bit of a Luca Badoer; dropping in and out every few years.

de Cesaris had a habit of staying employed. Hülkenberg, not in terms of talent but in terms of career consistency, seems to be a bit of a Luca Badoer; dropping in and out every few years.
De Cesaris drove for 11 different teams, Hülkenberg is now on his seventh; de Cesaris has the most race starts without a win, Hülkenberg has the most race starts without a podium and is well on his way to breaking that one too.

De Cesaris must be high up the list of most race crashes too, if my memory of him serves me correctly.

Lol. I'm not saying he hasn't had some strong competition in more recent years...

edit - That's an awful lot of career DNFs. Sadly, when retired he also DNF'd out of life.

Screenshot 2022-11-17 at 10.06.30 am.png

Last edited:
Andrea's inability to use his mirrors to look backwards, or his visor to look forwards and avoid accidents aside, the 80s were shocking for reliability, and a lot of those DNFs would be as a result of mechanical issues.

1986 (the height of turbo power) had a finishing rate across the board of just 40%

Andrea's inability to use his mirrors to look backwards, or his visor to look forwards and avoid accidents aside, the 80s were shocking for reliability, and a lot of those DNFs would be as a result of mechanical issues.
I count:
11 Accidents
10 Collisions
3 Pile-Ups
11 Spins
Totalling 35 "Skill issue" retirements out of 147 DNFs

Hulkenberg has 18/38. Grosjean has 18/50. Maldonado has 13/32. Mick Schumacher is 3/5.

For reference: Michael Schumacher is 32/68 - with 21 of those being collisions with another car.
Lewis Hamilton has 13/28. Max is 13/31, A Senna is 18/60 and Alain Prost has 19/59

Last edited:
He only dropped out once, subbed a few times and has come back.

Mercedes or Audi will likely pick up Mick imo. I think Wolff has already expressed interest.

Anyway, good for Haas I guess. I like Hulk but he definitely wouldn’t have been my first choice.

Last edited:
I count:
11 Accidents
10 Collisions
3 Pile-Ups
11 Spins
Totalling 35 "Skill issue" retirements out of 147 DNFs

Hulkenberg has 18/38. Grosjean has 18/50. Maldonado has 13/32. Mick Schumacher is 3/5.

For reference: Michael Schumacher is 32/68 - with 21 of those being collisions with another car.
Lewis Hamilton has 13/28. Max is 13/31, A Senna is 18/60 and Alain Prost has 19/59
As I thought, a lot of de Cesaris' retirements were mechanical - although there is a school of thought which goes along the lines of his car retired before he had the chance to retire someone else.... :D

I was surprised to see Michael's attrition rate so high, not withstanding his terrible standards for defending positions - I honestly cannot remember him being involved in that many incidents. Max is so low because other people get out of his way - if other drivers treated him how he treats others, that number would be at least double.

As I thought, a lot of de Cesaris' retirements were mechanical - although there is a school of thought which goes along the lines of his car retired before he had the chance to retire someone else.... :D

I was surprised to see Michael's attrition rate so high, not withstanding his terrible standards for defending positions - I honestly cannot remember him being involved in that many incidents. Max is so low because other people get out of his way - if other drivers treated him how he treats others, that number would be at least double.
This screenshot below is the full list of retirements attributed to "Collision" as retirement.
Screenshot_20221117-155647.png

Find it interesting how Lewis and Max are almost even considering Lewis has nearly 300 race start and probably double the amount of races Max has.

At first I thought Hulkenberg coming back was a negative thing, but Magnussen has had a decent year so far and even though I rolled my eyes at his return this year, hopefully Hulkenberg will have the same luck next year. I reckon it is a good pairing: 2 drivers that are experienced and hungry for the podium.

Back