2024 Formula 1 Drivers threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 536 comments
Surely a newly-opened seat at Alpine would be the best option for Piastri? What other seats are open? Potentially one at McLaren, one at Williams. Looking a year or two ahead there may be a seat at Mercedes or McLaren. Otherwise you're looking at Williams, Haas, Alfa Romeo or Aston Martin (assuming Lawrence realises that if he wants to be serious in F1 he needs to boot his son out of the other car). Each of which is a step back from Alpine.

I think the junior drivers may want to look into how a Formula 1 career works before being 'cheeky' on twitter, etc. Are there more than one or two drivers in the field currently who have not driven for 3+ different teams in Formula 1? Admittedly the world and the internet has about a two-month memory, but maybe don't antagonize a fairly sizable manufacturer when you could be driving for them 5-10 years down the line, regardless of where you "think" your career is going?

Seems pretty amateurish, particularly from the PR side of things.

Are there more than one or two drivers in the field currently who have not driven for 3+ different teams in Formula 1?
Actually wanted to check this and here's what I found:

1 Team: Schumacher, Tsunoda, Latifi, Norris.
2 Teams: Leclerc, Gasly (if we count STR and AT as the same team), Stroll (if Racing Point and Aston are the same team), Verstappen, Russell and Hamilton.

So 10 excluding Zhou.

I think the junior drivers may want to look into how a Formula 1 career works before being 'cheeky' on twitter, etc. Are there more than one or two drivers in the field currently who have not driven for 3+ different teams in Formula 1? Admittedly the world and the internet has about a two-month memory, but maybe don't antagonize a fairly sizable manufacturer when you could be driving for them 5-10 years down the line, regardless of where you "think" your career is going?

Seems pretty amateurish, particularly from the PR side of things.
I agree with all of this. On top of that it seems incredibly risky to burn bridges for Mclaren when both drivers are currently under contract for ‘23, and there’s already 2 other guys (Herta, Palou) who are rumoured to be taking that second seat sometime in the next 2 years.

It seems like by the end of this either Piastri or Palou will be out of a seat entirely.

It seems like there’s a chance that Danny Ric goes back to Alpine (Renault) once this is all said and done.
Would be the most sensible and likely outcome for him to stay in F1 if Mclaren do evict him. Honestly, I think it would benefit him, Alpine are moving forward faster than Mclaren and Aston Martin at the moment, and while the Renault wasn't perfectly suited to him, he looked a dam sight more comfortable driving that than he does the Mclaren. His results are better for Renault as well, he needs another 40 points this season to match his total Renault tally. Considering 2020 was 5 races shorter as well and he scored 4 points more than in his Mclaren debut campaign in 2021.

Actually wanted to check this and here's what I found:

1 Team: Schumacher, Tsunoda, Latifi, Norris.
2 Teams: Leclerc, Gasly (if we count STR and AT as the same team), Stroll (if Racing Point and Aston are the same team), Verstappen, Russell and Hamilton.

So 10 excluding Zhou.
Nice. Admittedly that's fewer than I thought, but I guess we have lost Kimi and some of the other long term residents. So 50/50 of the current field. Admittedly many of them are young and will likely end up on a bunch of teams in the future (unless they bail early).

But if you're not driving F1 you're not driving F1. Ricciardo is that guy who is not finished with F1 like Alonso or Magnussen. Especially K-Mag had a works cockpit and multi year contract with Peugeot and quiet surely the shot winning in WEC or maybe even Le Mans and returned to one of the 2 worst teams in F1 just to be in F1 again.
As long as you can compete in the highest form of motorsport as a racer you will do it. Like Kimi or Seb both could have finished their F1 careers after leaving Ferrari but still returned to into bad cars just to continue to drive in F1.
On the other side Grosjean who is now finished with F1. He had his shots at Lotus and Renault, returned to Haas as a new team and now is happy in the USA with his family and Indycar. I hope Seb can be fine too even without racing and is really on that point were leaving F1 is ok for his mind. I don't see Seb back in any competitive championship but I'm pretty sure he will f.e. still take part in the Race of Champions meeting the boys ones per year. Same for maybe Goodwood or driving old F1 cars before a Grand Prix from time to time.

Last edited:
Could just as well be Williams, Sauber and Haas. Nothing special.
Probably right. I faintly remember the article trying to mention that Daniel leaving McLaren wouldn’t necessarily mean the immediate end of his time in F1.

But if you're not driving F1 you're not driving F1. Ricciardo is that guy who is not finished with F1 like Alonso or Magnussen. Especially K-Mag had a works cockpit and multi year contract with Peugeot and quiet surely the shot winning in WEC or maybe even Le Mans and returned to one of the 2 worst teams in F1 just to be in F1 again.
As long as you can compete in the highest form of motorsport as a racer you will do it. Like Kimi or Seb both could have finished their F1 careers after leaving Ferrari but still returned to into bad cars just to continue to drive in F1.
On the other side Grosjean who is now finished with F1. He had his shots at Lotus and Renault, returned to Haas as a new team and now is happy in the USA with his family and Indycar. I hope Seb can be fine too even without racing and is really on that point were leaving F1 is ok for his mind. I don't see Seb back in any competitive championship but I'm pretty sure he will f.e. still take part in the Race of Champions meeting the boys ones per year. Same for maybe Goodwood or driving old F1 cars before a Grand Prix from time to time.
Depends on money more than anything else for him to stay in F1 - other than a decent, potential race winning seat. If some deep-pocketed US sponsor wants a proven F1 race winner promoting their product, then i imagine that could tempt Ricciardo out of an Alpine and into a Dallara IR18 or even a NASCAR, as he's stated he's a fan of it.

Last edited:
According a report shared on the F1 subreddit, there’s them and 3 other teams that have inquired on him.
In terms of known availability, there's limited options really, Williams, Haas, Alfa, Alpha. He won't go to AlphaTauri. Can't really see him at any of the others either to be honest. Alpine really is the way to go unless he wants to leave altogether.

Ricciardo has that Richard Hammond "I wish I was American" quality and I think Indy or Nascar would be fine for him. At 33 after 11 years in F1, absolutely a good time to make a change.
I can 100 percent see him in NASCAR. Especially with the Next Gen cars really mixing things up and the introduction of more road courses.

Not sure how legit this is but Racing News 365 is reporting that Piastri is a done deal at McLaren for next year.

unknown-6.png

Just saw this off the back of reading the same article.

"De-hire" is an interesting word. It's only slightly above jobn't or saying that Ricciardo has been promoted to spectator.
Ricciardo has been "right-sized" by McLaren.

McLaren's plan to replace Daniel Ricciardo with Piastri explained

Good article from The Race looking at the hurdles with replacing Daniel with Oscar.

If it turns out he is going to McLaren, the Seb retirement certainly changed everything. McLaren would understandably would have wanted it on the down low as they'd have to have 'the chat' with Danny Ric which hadn't happened yet. Plus, Piastri was still under contract with Alpine. I imagine the plan was to just let his contract expire, have the chat with Ricciardo, get him in the McLaren and then sort everything out. No Piastri at Alpine would have meant Alonso would have gotten his two year deal. Everyone happy in short. However, Fernando gets annoyed at Alpine not valuing him enough and gets annoyed with negotiations, jumps ship to the open Aston seat and now Alpine may want to claw Piastri back. It's all very messy.

Just to clarify - it's obviously not Seb's fault. Moral of the story for Alonso is to not go off in a huff. He may have got what he wanted anyway if Piastri was always going to McLaren and now it seems it's likely he'll be destined to be in a slower car for the rest of his F1 career. Unless of course some AM people have 'taken some photos' of the RB :lol:. However, given their recent attempt to copy the RB didn't result in any real improvement, I don't think they'll ever pull off a 'Tracing Point' again.

Last edited:
Back