2023 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar SeriesSports Cars 

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 544 comments
Could someone please briefly explain why the Cadillacs were all present during Daytona but are split between the two different Sebring events this weekend? Why didn't the Acura compete yesterday? Why aren't the Toyotas running today? I am bit confused on the differences between the two series, why/how they crossover, and how to discriminate between the two.

Likewise, is the C8 vette running today the same one that obliterated the field yesterday?

Thank you!
The C8 is a different car. It's a GTLM car converted into a GT3 car. The C8 yesterday was a new GTE/LMGT.

What would be the point of two races if they all race on both days on one of the hardest tracks on a car?

Could someone please briefly explain why the Cadillacs were all present during Daytona but are split between the two different Sebring events this weekend? Why didn't the Acura compete yesterday? Why aren't the Toyotas running today? I am bit confused on the differences between the two series, why/how they crossover, and how to discriminate between the two.

Likewise, is the C8 vette running today the same one that obliterated the field yesterday?

Thank you!
The simple response is the WEC that raced yesterday and IMSA are different series. The World Endurance Championship races a global schedule with the 24hrs of Lemans as the anchor of the series. IMSA is a U.S. based that is focused on North America with the Daytona 24hr as its anchor race but it has invitations to race at LeMans.

The Toyota Hypercar runs exclusively in the WEC and their focus is LeMans and the world market. Acura is Honda's American brand and unless Honda in Japan gives their blessing and commit to running in the WEC they will only race in IMSA. Porsche and Cadillac have committed to both series, thats why you saw both running. The BMW GTP will enter the WEC with a factory program next year.

Thank you!
  • The Cadillacs were all at Daytona because Ganassi's #02 car was only scheduled to appear at Daytona before competing full time in the WEC as car #2 while their 01 and the AXR 31 are full time IMSA competitors.
  • The Acuras didn't compete because that's up to Honda Japan, who haven't had or approved said program outside the US.
  • Toyota have only signed on for a full season in WEC, no immediate plans for IMSA at the moment.

As for the differences, the LMDH cars (GTP in IMSA) are the ones effectively following the same ruleset as DPI with them being built on LMP2 chassis and running a spec Hybrid unit built by Bosch while the LMH cars (Hypercar in the WEC) are more bespoke in terms of chassis and Hybrid units.

Also as mentioned above, its two different teams handling the Corvettes as one team (The 4 team from years prior in IMSA) is doing the WEC with what is effectively a brand new GTLM spec car while the one in IMSA (The 3 Team) is using a car modified to compete in GTD before their new GT3 car takes over.

Last edited:
I love the fact that the years go by, the cars evolve, yet the original concrete surface still remains in parts.

Also i have no clue how much weekend tickets cost but must great value having the WEC and IMSA races over the same weekend.

So far, so bad for BMW in the prototype ranks. Wow. You almost wish they brought back the Le Mans-winning V12 LMR or something.

network closing GIF

Wow. A wheel falls off the Rick Ware #51 LMP2 in turn 1 causing a crash. And then the loose wheel was hit by the #30 LMP3 destroying the front end.

I would be fuming if I were in that situation. Ready to punch someone dead in the mouth... :grumpy:

Both Porsches out in the wreck along with the Wayne Taylor Acura. 31 Caddy and 25 BMW are the only GTP's left in contention.

Wayne Taylor handled that interview miles better than I would've if I was in his position.
Both Porsches out in the wreck along with the Wayne Taylor Acura. 31 Caddy and 25 BMW are the only GTP's left in contention.
Wait, really? I've unfortunately missed most of the race today, what happened to everyone else?

I knew the only hope of a Cadillac victory was for all the top three to wreck each other. Didn't expect it to actually happen.

I'll take it tho. :D

Wait, really? I've unfortunately missed most of the race today, what happened to everyone else?
#24 BMW with technical issues.
#01 Caddy caught fire.
#60 Acura lost a wheel, and had to be recovered. 21 laps down.

Thank you to everyone for their replies above^

What a final half an hour that was. BMW have nowhere near a car worth a podium, yet here we are..

Latest Posts

Back