Toyota Crown Sedan

1657940195272.png

Toyota Crown Sport

1657940221209.png

Toyota Crown Estate

1657940247386.png

Toyota Crown Crossover

1657940275960.png

Only the Crossover is coming to the US, where the name will be revived for the first time since the 1970s. It is unknown when the other body styles will come to market

2023 Toyota Crown

Just as the Toyota Avalon dies comes the a replacement with a twist. On Friday, the 2023 Toyota Crown debuted with the ride height of a crossover, the proportions of a full-size sedan, and a pair of hybrid powertrains. Consider it an Avalon for a new generation.

Every Crown will feature a hybrid powertrain and all-wheel drive. The base system in XLE and Limited models pairs a 2.5-liter inline-4 with front and rear electric motors, though Toyota hasn't said yet how much power the system produces. The all-wheel-drive system will be capable of varying torque between 100/0 and 20/80 front to rear. Fuel economy estimates reach 38 mpg combined, which is significantly higher than the outgoing AWD Avalon's 28 mpg combined. Drive modes will include Eco, Normal, Sport, and an EV setting that enables short periods of all-electric driving.

Fancy Platinum models get a 2.4-liter turbo-4 mated with two electric motors for a total system output of 340 hp. Paired with a 6-speed automatic transmission, this grade is estimated to achieve only 28 mpg combined. Those electric motors can vary the torque split between a 70/30 front bias and 20/80 rear bias. The turbocharged powertrain loses the base car's EV drive mode, but gains Sport+, Comfort, and Custom modes.

While the Crown might not be a reskinned Avalon it sure feels like it could be. Based on Toyota's New Global Architecture (TNGA-K), the Crown sports a 112.2-inch wheelbase, 194-inch overall length, and 72.4-inch width that all nearly match up to the full-size sedan's dimensions in all but one category: height. The Crown is 60.6-inches tall, which is about four inches higher than both the Avalon and Camry. Toyota won't discuss ground clearance yet, but spokesperson Paul Hogard told Motor Authority it's comparable to the Camry. The Camry has 5.7 inches of ground clearance while the outgoing Avalon had 5.3 inches of ground clearance.

The MacPherson front struts pair with a multi-link rear independent suspension. Lower-level XLE and Limited trims will ride on 19-inch wheels while high-zoot Platinum models pair adaptive dampers with 21-inch wheels. Those large wheels will be an option on the Limited with the Advanced Tech Package.

1657940500224.png

1657940506696.png

1657940560693.png

1657940514801.png

1657940544289.png

Last edited:
I've been at working the past few days wondering what the hell Toyota is doing the entire time.

will true hardtop sedan ever return I wonder. Everything is coupefied these days. Not a bad looking car but its definetly overstyled. Germans beat it in looks.

I was a bit confused about the names, but the Crossover looks the ugliest out of the four, so we have nothing to look forward to. At first I thought the Crossover was the Sport, which is not that bad.

Size comparison between the Mirai and the Crown Sedan

Pretty sure the Mirai has been using this new chassis. The styling was really popular, or at least the general shape was, so I'm not surprised they kept it similar for the Crown sedan. It's got a really premium look to it.

I find it surprising that the Crown Sport will not be offered in the US, and only the Crossover. Obviously the sedan and wagon models would not stand a chance. Unfortunately, the Crossover isn't really a crossover, which is why it seems to look not so great. Jacked-up ride ruins any semblance of grace the profile has. Rather, it's just an awkward lifted sedan with no real added utility, competing in a class of one. The least Toyota could have done is to make it hatchback, adding practicality. I'm not sure other automakers will be willing to enter this class. Instead, Toyota should have gone back to the original Venza recipe and just hybridized/electrified it. There was much about the original Venza that was a very good design, but Toyota compromised it too much. Taller than a car, but it wasn't quite an SUV. Lots of glass to see out of, hatchback design for versatility, and tons of room for passengers.

Also, the interior is pretty disappointing. Especially in comparison to that of the outgoing Avalon. I’m sure the material quality is good, but visually, this looks more like a rental car interior.

1658266926794.png

In all, this is a marketing team's car above anything else. Its funky, fresh, new and hits all the buzzwords but comes together entirely lacking elegance befitting a luxury product, as they say the Crown is. If this recipe is the only way sedans will survive in the US market, then please let them die already. It’s the worst of both worlds: the meager utility of a sedan (with an immovable parcel shelf/rear deck), and the height of a crossover- but without the big cargo area.

Last edited:
I find it surprising that the Crown Sport will not be offered in the US, and only the Crossover. Obviously the sedan and wagon models would not stand a chance. Unfortunately, the Crossover isn't really a crossover, which is why it seems to look not so great. Jacked-up ride ruins any semblance of grace the profile has. Rather, it's just an awkward lifted sedan with no real added utility, competing in a class of one. The least Toyota could have done is to make it hatchback, adding practicality. I'm not sure other automakers will be willing to enter this class. Instead, Toyota should have gone back to the original Venza recipe and just hybridized/electrified it. There was much about the original Venza that was a very good design, but Toyota compromised it too much. Taller than a car, but it wasn't quite an SUV. Lots of glass to see out of, hatchback design for versatility, and tons of room for passengers.

Also, the interior is pretty disappointing. Especially in comparison to that of the outgoing Avalon. I’m sure the material quality is good, but visually, this looks more like a rental car interior.

View attachment 1174738

In all, this is a marketing team's car above anything else. Its funky, fresh, new and hits all the buzzwords but comes together entirely lacking elegance befitting a luxury product, as they say the Crown is. If this recipe is the only way sedans will survive in the US market, then please let them die already. It’s the worst of both worlds: the meager utility of a sedan (with an immovable parcel shelf/rear deck), and the height of a crossover- but without the big cargo area.
They probably had to keep the interior basic because it's an old people's car. It's the Avalon by a new name.

This is car is ok loooking, but in our country is screams prime UBER taxi.......like most nerfyyyy non-sporty toyotas.

I’m not seeing people older than me, driving ”big” sedans. They’re in Corollas and Kia Picanto GTs and Hyundai Konas. The brighter the Color, the better to spot in a parking lot.

Anyway, about that interior, looks ripe for a bench seat. Other than vans, I think the new Defender has three buckets in the front. Put the gear selector on the steering wheel or the steering column and free up that center space to accommodate a passenger. :)

To be frank, the Crown Crossover is hardly a good value. Starting at $40k, it's considerably more expensive than the Avalon and can easily be optioned above $50k. There are simply better buys out there for the price range, especially better looking ones.

Everyone has been bashing it's awful grille, but I think the side profile is almost equally as unfortunate. Not only is not exactly pretty, it's so blah and anonymous looking. Nothing about it screams Toyota, it's almost as if any other manufacturer could slap out this exact design and it would be believable.

1666798296841.png

Last edited:
To be frank, the Crown Crossover is hardly a good value. Starting at $40k, it's considerably more expensive than the Avalon and can easily be optioned above $50k. There are simply better buys out there for the price range, especially better looking ones.
The Crown is supposed to replace the Avalon. I think it's definitely a better car than the Avalon, but it is a bit overpriced. I think this is going to somewhat flop like what happened to the Phaeton and Arteon, but this is a lot taller which may get some people interested

Another video that seemed to have been posted a day late compared to others

I'm pretty sure I get it. America hates hatchbacks but they love sedans, so make it a sedan. American hates sedans but they love SUVs, so lift it. America hates cars that can't go off-road but they love cars that can, so make it AWD. America hates actually going off-road but they love looking like they do, so give it black trim so it looks like it has ground clearance. And most importantly, America hates being associated with old people, so change the name to something, err, youthful and exciting?

If you took the American car market and put it into one vehicle it would be this. It is absolutely atrocious and tasteless, just like American car buyers.

But, but ”Crown”… Sounds like royalty.. old royalty. I’m sure it’ll be a new name to 99.9% of the USA population though. Guess that would make it fresh.
I miss this. :indiff:
F1E1FB4C-D308-4EA4-B339-8E79E1F08A92.jpeg

I'm pretty sure I get it. America hates hatchbacks but they love sedans, so make it a sedan. American hates sedans but they love SUVs, so lift it. America hates cars that can't go off-road but they love cars that can, so make it AWD. America hates actually going off-road but they love looking like they do, so give it black trim so it looks like it has ground clearance. And most importantly, America hates being associated with old people, so change the name to something, err, youthful and exciting?

If you took the American car market and put it into one vehicle it would be this. It is absolutely atrocious and tasteless, just like American car buyers.
Cynicism acknowledged but I don't think you can explain away this product so simply. This is just a baffling product probably resulting from too much focus group Q&A.

homer GIF

My biggest issue is that we get the ugliest version and it's by a good amount over the others.

Last edited:
Toyota and Lexus
Crown Outdoor Concept, RX Outdoor Concept, GX outdoor Concept and ROV (Recreational Off highway Vehicle) CONCEPT 2
Is change the wheels on the Crown, but at least it looks more purposeful.
1673717146389.jpeg

Last edited:
Specs for the other models have been revealed

20230412_01_09.jpg

The Crown Sport, Sedan, and Estate are making the headlines today as initial technical specifications have been released before the models go on sale in Japan this fall, except for the Estate as the wagon is due later in 2024.

All three will be offered with hybrid and plug-in hybrid powertrains and seating for five people. The Crown Sedan is going to be offered with two-wheel drive whereas the Sport and Estate will come with four-wheel drive. Toyota mentions the sedan will be available with 19- and 20-inch wheels whereas the other two cars will ride on 21-inch alloys.

Sport typeSedan typeEstate type
Length4,710 mm5,030 mm4,930 mm
Width1,880 mm1,890 mm1,880 mm
Height1,560 mm1,470 mm1,620 mm
Seating555
PowertrainHEV
PHEV
HEV
FCEV
HEV
PHEV
Scheduled Launch DateAutumn 2023 (HEV)
Winter 2023 (PHEV)
Autumn 20232024

Given that the Sedan is getting a FCEV drivetrain, it definitely seems like it is related to the Mirai

Last edited:
It's now autumn of 2023 so just as previously stated, here's the Crown Sport

1696650200330.png

1696650170212.png

1696650184263.png

1696650155359.png

1696650209570.png

Motivation is provided by the same 2.5-liter hybrid setup but that PHEV we mentioned is getting a "high-output density drive motor." The Crown Sport with a charging port is also going to feature a bigger lithium-ion battery pack for additional electric range, and Toyota says it won't hamper interior space.

Toyota is charging 5,900,000 yen for the 2024 Crown Sport, so about $39,600 at current exchange rates.

The aforementioned Crown Sedan is up next, scheduled to go on sale in Japan in November while the Crown Estate larger SUV will hit the local market before the end of the fiscal year.

I think it's funny how Ferrari and Toyota both somehow converged to the same design language

Back