2023 Toyota Prius (5th gen) - It's not ugly!

The numb steering criticism is like a dagger to the heart of this thing for me. I know toyota does that sometimes (more often in Lexus I think), and it's god awful.

The numb steering criticism is like a dagger to the heart of this thing for me. I know toyota does that sometimes (more often in Lexus I think), and it's god awful.

I've never driven a modern car with electrically assisted steering that I liked. These reviewers have a lot more experience than me comparing peer cars but my comparison is always to what I know, older hydraulic systems on anything from SUVs to sports cars. For example, I prefer my 2006 Sequoia's steering feel to a 2017 Mazda 6. I prefer my 2005 Rav4 to a 2021 Honda Pilot.

So when these guys say a new car has numb steering I have to imagine they just stepped out of a Disney Monorail with no steering wheel at all because every commuter car on the market these days is miserable to drive.

I've never driven a modern car with electrically assisted steering that I liked. These reviewers have a lot more experience than me comparing peer cars but my comparison is always to what I know, older hydraulic systems on anything from SUVs to sports cars. For example, I prefer my 2006 Sequoia's steering feel to a 2017 Mazda 6. I prefer my 2005 Rav4 to a 2021 Honda Pilot.

So when these guys say a new car has numb steering I have to imagine they just stepped out of a Disney Monorail with no steering wheel at all because every commuter car on the market these days is miserable to drive.
Toyota has a few examples of insanely bad steering (and some examples of good). So for example, they liked the steering in the new supra. I have driven a mid-oughts Lexus RX and the steering was laughably numb. By contrast, anything Acura makes today (and I've driven a few current ones) are far more communicative. This youtube channel has reviewed some of the new Acuras and not complained about numb steering.

So I think the takehome is that it's numb compared to the typical commuter car on the market.

Toyota has a few examples of insanely bad steering (and some examples of good). So for example, they liked the steering in the new supra. I have driven a mid-oughts Lexus RX and the steering was laughably numb. By contrast, anything Acura makes today (and I've driven a few current ones) are far more communicative. This youtube channel has reviewed some of the new Acuras and not complained about numb steering.

So I think the takehome is that it's numb compared to the typical commuter car on the market.
Seems like they only mentioned the steering once but mentioned that it's hashtag a great car and nice to drive several times. That's top trumps. Your numb steering complaint is 10-ply bud.

Seems like they only mentioned the steering once but mentioned that it's hashtag a great car and nice to drive several times. That's top trumps. Your numb steering complaint is 10-ply bud.
It's their numb steering complaint.

If it has numb steering, I'm not interested. As far as I'm concerned, it kills the car. I haven't driven one, but if it's Lexus RX numb (which it sounds like), I won't touch it.

Last edited:
Prius GRMN may be coming in the future

According to Best Car, which predicted the GR Corolla back in 2020, Toyota plans to introduce a peppy Prius some time between late 2023 and Spring 2024. Tentatively referred to as a GRMN model (technically above the GR level), this Prius will reportedly get an improved unibody, with extra spot welds and industrial adhesives to stiffen the GA-C chassis it shares with the GR Corolla. It'll also gain improved brakes, suspension, and an exclusive interior finish that you'd expect of a GR model.

What Toyota will do for the GR Prius's powertrain isn't known, but Best Car is certain that it'll be based on the plug-in hybrid model, which we know as the Prius Prime. It sounds like there are doubts about the tuning potential of its naturally aspirated, Atkinson-cycle 2.0-liter four-cylinder, so what will power it remains uncertain. Even a modest power bump would put it in Subaru WRX territory though, all while returning better gas mileage and looking far better.

Would be pretty sick if they end up making a plug-in that's as fun and powerful as a WRX. I'd totally get one if it's affordable

Making a plug-in-hybrid an engaging drive would be an interesting problem to solve. As far as making it faster, it seems like they could just stuff the Rav4 prime powertrain in there.

Toyota Prius 24h Le Mans Centennial GR Edition

toyota-prius-24h-le-mans-centennial-gr-edition.jpg

The conceptual sporty Prius gets a comprehensive aerodynamic package with front canards and splitter, along with beefy side skirts, fender flares, a large rear wing, and a massive diffuser. Toyota through its performance division has also fitted with a carbon fiber hood and four-point LED lights influenced by the GR010 Hybrid.

The athletic hybrid rides on bespoke aero-optimized RAYS wheels measuring 18 inches and wrapped around in 235/50 R18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. The revised lower front air intake now has a honeycomb structure and we're being told the GR Prius boasts a "wide-track suspension."

Last edited:
Back