BMW i5 M50

bmw-i5-m60-xdrive-2023.jpg

BMW i5 eDrive40

bmw-i5-edrive40-2023.jpg

bmw-i5-edrive40-2023.jpg

bmw-i5-edrive40-2023.jpg

The new 5 Series is larger than its predecessor, measuring 199.2 inches in length (+3.4 in), 74.8 inches in width (+1.3 in), and 59.6 inches in height (+1.4 in). The wheelbase has also increased by 0.8 in to 117.9 in – the longest in its segment – which results in improved seating comfort for rear passengers.

BMW says the i5 offers the same amount of cabin space as ICE-powered 5 Series models, thanks to the low profile battery located in the underbody. However, the trunk is smaller at 17.3 cubic feet compared to 18.4 cubic feet.

Inside, the BMW i5 adopts a dashboard layout that reminds of the iX SUV, with the driver-oriented, fully digital BMW Curved Display taking center stage. The setup consists of a 12.3-inch Information Display behind the steering wheel and a 14.9-inch Control Display, which merge into a single unit.

[T]he BMW i5 is built on the CLAR flexible drive architecture shared with internal combustion, mild hybrid and plug-in hybrid 5 Series models.

At the global market launch in October 2023, the BMW i5 will be available in two model variants, the eDrive40 single-motor RWD variant and the M60 xDrive AWD performance model.

Both feature fifth-generation BMW eDrive technology, with the motors said to offer impressively high power density and efficiency. The BMW i5 eDrive40 delivers 335 horsepower and 295 pound-feet (400 Newton-meters) of torque – or 317 lb-ft (429 Nm) when the Sport Boost or Lanch Control function is activated.

This enables the entry-level model to do 0-60 mph in 5.7 seconds and hit an electronically limited top speed of 120 mph (193 kph).

The i5 M60 xDrive features a dual-motor powertrain delivering 590-hp (440-kW) and 549 lb-ft (743 Nm) of torque – or 605 lb-ft (819 Nm) with the M Sport Boost or M Launch Control functions activated. Promising "hallmark M Performance characteristics," the i5 M60 xDrive doe 0-60 in 3.7 seconds and hits a top speed of 143 mph (230 kph) when equipped with performance tires.

Both variants are powered by a high-voltage battery with a usable capacity of 84.3 kilowatt-hours, composed of 4 modules with 72 battery cells each and 3 modules with 12 cells each.

The battery enables a driving range of 295 miles for the i5 eDrive40 on standard 19-inch wheels or 256 miles for the i5 M60 xDrive. The range ratings are estimated by BMW based on the EPA's test procedure standards.

BMW says a third powertrain variant with AWD will follow in 2024. According to official information leaked on Bimmerpost, the model will be badged i5 xDrive40 and will enter production in March 2024.

What is going on with that rear end? It looks like an E65 without the Bangle Butt...

lol what is that horrible Camry-ass greenhouse. It's worse than the I-can't-believe-it's-not-the-Accord-Coupe that they pretend is a 4-series.
Haha I was going to say the rear is giving me Camry vibes. But it looks fine. It's not great and also not bad.

What is going on with that rear end? It looks like an E65 without the Bangle Butt...
Yep. It’s why I posted “Nope”. It’s more C & E class in shape, than a BMW. I also agree with Camry vibes. Now, I’ve not read about the design decision, but it’s got no euro flavour to it. I miss even the E39(it’s one of my least favourite 5ers), where that’s a very rounded shape, compared to past upright looking 5-series. That front though… to me, it’s all wrong, like the rear of the M2 is all wrong.

Unfortunately they're going to sell a bunch of these and I'm going to have to tolerate seeing them with my eyeballs. Maybe I don't need new glasses.

You know how Rockstar take design inspiration from real cars for their car designs in the GTA games, well this new 5 series looks like one of those inspirations has gone wrong. It's like they tried to copy an old 5 series but completely lost it along the way. It's just really odd looking.

If the goal of the designers at BMW is to create controversial designs, I gotta say they've hit that target out of the park with every new car that they put out.

You know how Rockstar take design inspiration from real cars for their car designs in the GTA games, well this new 5 series looks like one of those inspirations has gone wrong. It's like they tried to copy an old 5 series but completely lost it along the way. It's just really odd looking.

If the goal of the designers at BMW is to create controversial designs, I gotta say they've hit that target out of the park with every new car that they put out.
Virtually everything from BMW for the past several years has made the Bangle cars look beautiful in comparison.

At 199.2 inches long it's only an inch and a half shorter than the G11 (>2022) 7-Series and just as wide. :eek:

Virtually everything from BMW for the past several years has made the Bangle cars look beautiful in comparison.
That's not true the outgoing 2 Series looked great. Definitely much better than the early years of the 1-Series.

BMW made absolutely sure not to repeat that mistake.

Last edited:
Headlights look like bad eyelashes like 2 series rubbish, Shockingly bad rear end. The double interior screens look budget for an executive car, lazy design and not quite thought deeply enough. I am disgusted at the recent BMW designs of late, dont know what the designer(s) are thinking when drawing these up.

This monstrosity and the 2 series, M2 and fat slab sided IX are joining the hideous club of elitist bad design courtesy of BMW, imo.

The electric one is very gimmicky. Not my cup of tea, Rather take an oldy V10 M5 or F90 M5 OR G30 M5 CS, They are smart looking cars of BMW pedigree.

SavageGeese's review of the all-new 5-series:

What the 5-series has lost more than anything is style. The new 5-series is a decent looking car, but its main styling issue is- which makes it look so disappointing compared to previous generations- that it's just not sleek. Even compared to just two generations ago, this car looks tall, bulbous, and lacks any real presence. To such an extent that by looking at the side profile only, it doesn't even stand out as a BMW, leaving the front grille to do most of that work. Viewing from the front, it half resembles an FWD car. I know that electrification needs and stricter safety standards have made it more difficult for luxury sedans to retain a sleek, three-box profile. Co-developing EVs on a non-dedicated EV platform may be more cost-friendly, but it can compromise packaging efficiency in the name of having a codeveloped platform. Though, it's also hard to deny that BMW's current, controversial design language is also to blame. It's hard to fathom that this car is only 20-25 years apart from the E39 yet in terms of having a sleek profile, it just doesn't compare.

Last edited:
Back