ProjectWHaT

At CES 2022, Chevrolet reveals the brand new 2024 Equinox

1641422730553.png

1641422740493.png

1641422749829.png

1641422755961.png

1641422761587.png

1641422768495.png

It'll start at $30,000 and will use Chevy's Ultium batteries (also used in the Cadillac Lyriq, Hummer EV, and Silverado EV). No info on power or range

Looks good and will age well, I'm really looking forward to what they do with the Camaro's successor.

The all new Honda Prologue is built on the same platform as the Equinox EV

1695922844828.png

1695922854782.png

It has basically the same interior layout as the Equinox. According to the Straight Pipes video, it similarly does not have physical headlight switches so it'll have it in the infotainment, like the GMC Canyon that they recently drove.

This is GM repeating the same mistakes as they did with NUMMI. You know it will be a good car because a Japanese brand (that's not Mitsubishi or Nissan) is hitching their name to it, but if you buy it from Honda instead:
  1. You don't have to deal with horrible Chevrolet dealerships
  2. It doesn't have the terrible Camaro styling cues that infected the entirety of GM's model range ten years ago.
  3. You will have CarPlay and Android Auto functionality and not GM's internal, no-doubt-terrible in-car phone solution that they'll try to squeeze maximum monthly fees out of you with.

Last edited:
lol, lmao even

Honda and GM ends their deal to use GM's Ultium platform, most likely due to GM's supply chain issues. At this same time, they announced a collaboration to use GM's Cruise self driving technology moments after California suspended Cruise's license to operate on public roads

"After extensive studies and analysis, we have come to a mutual decision to discontinue the program. Each company remains committed to affordability in the EV market," Honda and GM said in a joint statement.

"After studying this for a year, we decided that this would be difficult as a business, so at the moment we are ending development of an affordable EV," said Honda CEO Toshihiro Mibe in an interview with Bloomberg. "GM and Honda will search for a solution separately. This project itself has been canceled," Mibe said.

The now-canceled platform was supposed to use GM's Ultium batteries. GM debuted Ultium in 2020 as its third-generation lithium-ion cell, developed together with LG Chem.

Ultium cells were supposedly ready for mass production, but GM and LG Chem are struggling to make that a reality. In July, GM had to idle BrightDrop's production line in Canada due to a shortage of battery cells, and Kelly Blue Book's sales data for the first three quarters of 2023 show that just 6,920 Ultium-based EVs (which include the Chevrolet Blazer and Silverado EV, as well as the Hummer, Lyriq, and BrightDrop van) were delivered to customers.

GM has blamed the Ultium bottleneck on an unspecified "automation equipment supplier."

Honda and GM are still working together on other joint projects, though. The Honda Prologue and Acura ZDX are a pair of electric crossovers that use the same platform as the Cadillac Lyriq and Chevrolet Blazer, and both are still happening. They'll even feature Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, which GM has controversially chosen to eliminate from its cars from model year 2024 onward.

And Honda even announced another collaboration with GM earlier today—in 2026, it wants to start operating a robotaxi service in Japan using the Cruise Origin, an autonomous electric vehicle developed by the GM-backed AV company. Honda may regret the timing of this latest development after news that California has suspended Cruise's permission to operate AVs after a horrific incident where a pedestrian, having already been hit by another car, was run over and dragged by a Cruise AV in San Francisco.

I wonder if Honda is frustrated by GM's insistence on building a smaller number of gigantic BEVs therefore taking all the batteries. I know I am. The Hummer EV is so far away from the ethos of Honda it might as well be a different industry.

I wonder if Honda is frustrated by GM's insistence on building a smaller number of gigantic BEVs therefore taking all the batteries. I know I am. The Hummer EV is so far away from the ethos of Honda it might as well be a different industry.
That idiotic thing is closer to heavy equipment than anything else. Still haven't seen one on the roads outside of Detroit.

Anyway, I'm very curious to find out what supplier is causing the bottleneck. Apparently earlier in the year LG secured a big supply of lithium from Canada but I do know that China is a massive supplier of it as well. But it sounds like the bottleneck is something related to software instead. Weird.

lol, lmao even

Honda and GM ends their deal to use GM's Ultium platform, most likely due to GM's supply chain issues. At this same time, they announced a collaboration to use GM's Cruise self driving technology moments after California suspended Cruise's license to operate on public roads

Seems like GM can't catch a break these days, but they reap what they sow. From this, to the Equinox and Silverado/Sierra EV being pushed back to 2025, goal of 400,000 EVs sold per year completely abandoned, and the bug affecting Bolt EVs limiting them to only 80% charge, it's looking pretty grim. But hey, Mary Barra must think the company is doing awesome since her salary is all performance based, right?

Seems like GM can't catch a break these days, but they reap what they sow. From this, to the Equinox and Silverado/Sierra EV being pushed back to 2025, goal of 400,000 EVs sold per year completely abandoned, and the bug affecting Bolt EVs limiting them to only 80% charge, it's looking pretty grim. But hey, Mary Barra must think the company is doing awesome since her salary is all performance based, right?
CEO compensation is so broken. Make big unrealistic promises to juice the stock price, get a huge executive pay day. Delivering on said promises entirely optional.

Pretty much every rational thinking mind has deduced that mild hybrids are the way forward for the forseeable future, and that pure EVs are best served in a supplementary role for now and most certainly will never be the panacea that frees us from the tyranny of Big Oil. They're very much sliding into the Trough of Disillusionment, as the general public just doesn't give as much of a damn as they used to thanks to realistic limitations becoming more obvious:

1698506496243.png

The Plateau of Productivity, where EVs are firmly slotted into the roles where they serve best, is probably still a good 10-15 years away... provided automaker CEOs and poltiicians don't get dazzle-eyed by some new shiny before then and abandon development and infrastructure building to chase after that instead.

Last edited:
Pretty much every rational thinking mind has deduced that mild hybrids are the way forward for the forseeable future, and that pure EVs are best served in a supplementary role for now and most certainly will never be the panacea that frees us from the tyranny of Big Oil. They're very much sliding into the Trough of Disillusionment, as the general public just doesn't give as much of a damn as they used to thanks to realistic limitations becoming more obvious:

View attachment 1298623

The Plateau of Productivity, where EVs are firmly slotted into the roles where they serve best, is probably still a good 10-15 years away... provided automaker CEOs and poltiicians don't get dazzle-eyed by some new shiny before then and abandon development and infrastructure building to chase after that instead.

On the backbone of current battery technology, I agree with this. However, if solid state batteries ever reach production, I think they could legitimately replace ICE powered cars. Electric motors are great for cars (especially the boring ones that make up the greatest volume of cars on the road), it's just the energy storage that is a bummer. Even with crappy current gen batteries, there's very little excuse for most cars going forward to not be PHEVs with ~10-20kwh batteries.

PHEV does seem like the smart move for now when done correctly, I like the Prius template, a simple reliable engine paired with a simple reliable electric setup. However, even Toyota has problems scaling things up if the new Tundra is the best they could do with a Hybrid pick-up.

GM may have painted themselves into a corner again, but Silverado sales will probably keep them alive for now barring another economy crash changing that.

Last edited:
So, on that Ultium thing...
Perhaps this is the reason Honda pulled out of the deal? Having reliability issues on first-round EVs is going to be ugly for them in the long term.

I can't wait until Electrify America goes out of business. I think the American EV infrastructure would actually benefit from EA collapsing because it would make room to start the charger wars all over again - EA accidentally got too big for its own good before EVs were common enough to cause widespread problems and now there isn't any room left for functional competition. Within the next five years I'll have my choice of any mid-market EV available but if Electrify America is the network I'm forced to use then that's a total deal breaker.

Last edited:
Infotainment problems? The hell you say. GM assured people that they would be so dazzled by GM's infotainment setup that they wouldn't even care that it doesn't have Carplay or Android Auto (and would presumably subscribe to all of GM's services).

Last edited:
It seems clear to me that GM's myopic at best decision to remove Carplay/Android Auto was not because they are so much more confident in their own version's competency. It's because GM just couldn't accept that its buyers would give all their user data away to Apple and Android, and wanted it all for themselves. They seemed to have banked on brand-loyal buyers not giving a damn about the lack of Carplay/AA and other manufacturers also subsequently ditching Carplay/AA, but they couldn't have been farther off base. Because it's almost like when CarPlay is repeatedly in the top five lists of things customers want in a new car, they won't exactly be keen on their new Ultium EV not having it, even if they are competitive in other ways- which they still aren't.

I'm also just baffled that GM hasn't figured out over the air updates yet. It is 2024, isn't it? Why should owners have to bring their Ultium EVs to dealers in order to install the latest software? Until GM is able to start taking software seriously, they will continue their inability to compete with modern UI.

but they couldn't have been farther off base
Whoever made the decision should be fired immediately. I literally don't know a single person who would get into a new car that doesn't have CarPlay. I won't rent a car for work that doesn't have CarPlay. My friends and I have all installed CarPlay in our old used cars. Even Lucid has decided to include CarPlay, although Rivian is still holding off. GM is undoing nearly a decade of infotainment advancement.

Equinox EV pricing released. The base, FWD model with 210hp will start at $35,000 and top out at $52,400 for the AWD 290hp RS trim.

The base trim doesn't seem like it's a horrible value given its range, but I don't see who would pay nearly $50k or more for one of these, especially when competitors like the Model Y and Ioniq 5 exist. Let alone the fact that CarPlay will be absent.

Equinox EV pricing released. The base, FWD model with 210hp will start at $35,000 and top out at $52,400 for the AWD 290hp RS trim.

The base trim doesn't seem like it's a horrible value given its range, but I don't see who would pay nearly $50k or more for one of these, especially when competitors like the Model Y and Ioniq 5 exist. Let alone the fact that CarPlay will be absent.
I personally think it's going to be an utter sales failure specifically because of CarPlay. Android Auto is one thing but CarPlay sells cars. Nobody realizes that because they all have it now, but to revert is the most idiotic thing they could've done. They must be trying to take a page out of Tesla's book but Tesla has the best UI in the entire industry and integrates the whole car and your devices so seamlessly that CarPlay isn't needed. Even Lucid has given in and included CarPlay now. Rivian is still a holdout but I think they will eventually. Tesla is gonna Tesla but I'm not sure how capable GM is of competing with Tesla. They've got much bigger problems than the UI they choose to integrate.

The only other modern EV I've driven was a Polestar 2 and it did have CarPlay and I definitely used it.

Back